User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jun 2005, 18:38   #1
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts
problems transfering files over wireless network

I am having problems transfering files over my wireless network from my laptop through my wireless router to my desktop. Both of the computers connect wirelessly to the same network. The router and laptop are B grade (so 11 mbps max) and the desktop is fitted with a G card (54 mbps max), however I seem to only be able to use 22-23% of the network capacity (around 2-3 mbps). This means that transfering files is extreamly slow. Does anyone know why this is happening or know how I can get it to transfer at the full rate?

Thanks
Cm
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 19:07   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: problems transfering files over wireless network

is the cpu of one of them maxed out?
just a theory, as i have a similar problem over a 100mbps wired lan to a p2-450. except i get 4-10% utilisation
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 22:24   #3
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I dont think so. I have now got the theory it may be my hard drive speed at the fact it really needs to be defragged.
Unread 15 Jun 2005, 10:45   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

TBH that's not far off what you can expect for a wireless 11b network.

First of all, you will never ever see 11mbps even if both machines are sat right next to the access point. 11mbps is the theoretical max and does not account for carrier signal, flow control, error correction or contention.
8mbps is a more realistic target IF both machines concerened have a perfect signal to the AP and IF there are no other machines on the network. Wireless is a shared bandwidth technology, so the more machines you add, the less speed you get - especially if more than one machine is talking at once, although there is still a speed degredation even when they're 'idle'.
Obviously speed drops off as the signal does - what signal strength are the machines getting? If both are on, say 50% signal strength you have to take the added delay for a 50% signal and then double it, as packets have to go over both degraded links so loss can occur on one or both sides.

Also, please bear in mind that 8mbps = 977kB/s - less than a megabyte per second. Most modern harddrives should not have a problem sustaining 10 times that, so I find it unlikely that the harddrive is the issue. As a guide, at 977kB/s you can expect to wait ~13 minutes for a 700mb movie to transfer.
Unread 15 Jun 2005, 12:01   #5
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Ok thanks. That makes more sense. The hard drive idea came from the fact my had drive was over 50% fragmented so would have to keep going back and forth. What you said sounds right.

Thanks again
Unread 15 Jun 2005, 18:42   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

btw, the best yo ucan hope for is around 5.5Mbps of actual transfer, much bandwidth is lost due to overheads with wireless
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 17:03   #7
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

on my Wlan, with both machines giving 100% signal and speed 11mbit, I generally manage around 600kb/s when transferring files over FTP.

Just the 2 machines on it and no CPU use of any (other) kind on the server side, or the client for that matter.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote