User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:44   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
My opinion is better than yours.

Suppose for one minute, whether you believed it before or not, everyone is equal. Then, for the first time, you converse with someone, and you find your opinions differ. You feel he is incorrect in his reasoning as he does not see things to way you do.

Would you now say the former equality is lost?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:46   #2
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Re: My opinion is better than yours.

It's all about whose perspective you are looking at it from. Chances are the other person feels that his opinions are better then yours. In his mind you are of a lower social standing. It would required an impartial third party to state who they feel to be correct in their views. Only now would the equality be lost. If the third party believes both views to be correct or both views to be wrong in their own rights, then the equality still stands.
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:48   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm not concerned with perspectives.
It's actually a pretty simple question.

[edit] actually if you are going to look at this question using perspectives then I suppose it doesn't matter if the equality is there or not, as equality would be subjective. And then equality would only matter as a theoretical tool to make sure everyone 'plays together nicely'.
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:52   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: My opinion is better than yours.

What do you mean by 'equal'? Are we talking intellectually?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:53   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It depends how you are using the word 'equal'. Do you mean that all people should be treated identically by law? Then no. Or do you mean that everyone has different skills and they somehow 'average out'? Then no, since someone's poor reasoning could be balanced by their being a talented artist. Do you mean that all people are of equal intelligence (although this is incoherent)? Then yes, the fact that someone is a poor reasoner would imply, all other factors being constant, that they are less intelligent than others (assuming 'intelligent' is being used in its everyday way). However in reality "all other factors" could never be constant, and even the most intelligent of people can have false opinions as either a result of bad reasoning, or good reasoning from false premises.

Last edited by Nodrog; 2 Mar 2005 at 16:59.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 16:56   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

It would depend i guess on if you consider the opinions of a person to reflect what that person is.
Opinions will inevitably differ, just because you dont agree with them doesnt mean they cant be right as well.
Personally i`d judge a person for equality on their actions, rather then their opinions
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 17:02   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: My opinion is better than yours.

Two people with the same set of facts and the same abilities can draw different conclusions.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the "former equality" ad it's suposed "loss" in this context.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 17:27   #8
Weeks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
It depends how you are using the word 'equal'. Do you mean that all people should be treated identically by law? Then no. Or do you mean that everyone has different skills and they somehow 'average out'? Then no, since someone's poor reasoning could be balanced by their being a talented artist. Do you mean that all people are of equal intelligence (although this is incoherent)? Then yes, the fact that someone is a poor reasoner would imply, all other factors being constant, that they are less intelligent than others (assuming 'intelligent' is being used in its everyday way). However in reality "all other factors" could never be constant, and even the most intelligent of people can have false opinions as either a result of bad reasoning, or good reasoning from false premises.
I was refering to equality in a 'you are as good as i am' kind of way, not in a legal, skills or intelligence way. Although even like this equality is hard to pin down, 'i am no better than you' is the best I can come up with.

Your use of the word poor is in a way what I was trying to get at. As, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if on a single subject someone does not come to the same conclusion as you their conclusion is in effect not as good as yours. My question was that as someone's conclusion is not as good as yours are you now 'better than them'?
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 18:03   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I was refering to equality in a 'you are as good as i am' kind of way. Although even like this equality is hard to pin down, 'i am no better than you' is the best I can come up with
You're just substituting one undefined term for another - 'as good as I am' in what way? "No better than me" at what?

Quote:
Your use of the word poor is in a way what I was trying to get at. As, unless I'm misunderstanding you, if on a single subject someone does not come to the same conclusion as you their conclusion is in effect not as good as yours. My question was that as someone's conclusion is not as good as yours are you now 'better than them'?
What standard are you using to judge people? If you rate people based on how good they are at coming to conclusions then that would make you better than them. If not, then no

Once you define what you mean by equality, the answer to your question should become clear (and the answer will be different depending on how you are using the word).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 19:58   #10
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Think "Truman Show"
Think "You are Truman"

All arguments become really easy after that.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 22:52   #11
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

there is just no such thing as true equality. This is simply because every human is unique and thus every human is different.

It's a matter of treating everyone in the same, regardless of their opinions.

You sure picked a difficult subject to talk about though.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 00:22   #12
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

i usually just let off a really loud fart in the middle of the argument to stall his way of reasoning, specially when i know i'm right -

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 09:00   #13
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Suppose for one minute, whether you believed it before or not, everyone is equal. Then, for the first time, you converse with someone, and you find your opinions differ. You feel he is incorrect in his reasoning as he does not see things to way you do.

I don't think the question is answerable, to be honest. 'Equality' such as this would only be possible if both persons were perfect - and if they were, no such disagreement would be possible.
Does this reasoning make sense to anyone else?
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 09:24   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No. Equality (or at least, how I use the word) has nothing to do with people's opinions.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 09:25   #15
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No. Equality (or at least, how I use the word) has nothing to do with people's opinions.
Opinions on right and wrong?
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 10:01   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Opinions on right and wrong?
I don't really understand what you mean here.

My idea of equality has nothing to do with people's opinions. If you think it's OK to murder small children that doesn't make you (in any sense) more or less equal (?) to anyone else. It is the actions I am interested in. Similarly if you think it's wrong to kill small kids but you do it anyway, well then it's still not your opinion I'm interested in.

Unless you meant something else.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote