User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Sep 2003, 13:12   #1
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
CDRW probs.

hi there, I am having writing problems with my CDRW in my laptop. It is a MAT****A something or other, but my question is fairly basic: does the CD drive use one,two or multiple lasers? I can read CDs and DVDs perfectly well, and can write to RW CDs, but I don't seem to be able to write to normal CDRs. could there be something up with the drive/software, or maybe just a bad batch of CDs? I'm not too sure... any help would be appreciated

thanks.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 18:54   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
From what I understand they use only the one laser but vary the intensity of it to suit the media.

The only thing I can think of is that the drive may be incompatible with the media you selected. Some drives do not like anything rated above 12x 650MB, some cheaper brands are also known to cause problems. If that doesn't make any difference there may be a problem with the drive, it would be worth seeing if the manufacturer has a firmware update available.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 08:47   #3
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
From what I understand they use only the one laser but vary the intensity of it to suit the media.

The only thing I can think of is that the drive may be incompatible with the media you selected. Some drives do not like anything rated above 12x 650MB, some cheaper brands are also known to cause problems. If that doesn't make any difference there may be a problem with the drive, it would be worth seeing if the manufacturer has a firmware update available.

=[DJ Bass]=
thanks, I will try some new CDs for now then, and then focus on any software problems.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 02:15   #4
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: CDRW probs.

I have this same problem - can write to CD-RW but not CD-R. I gave up trying to fix it long ago so I hope a definitive solution appears here :-)

In my case, the drive seems to have trouble recognising that a blank has been inserted at all, and writing attempts fail with...

Session fixation error
Could not perform Fixation

I've tried two brands of CD so I'll buy/try one more brand before discounting dodgy media
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 18:37   #5
hermit58

Angry Re: CDRW probs.

I was wondering if you have found an answer to this perplexing issue. My Sony CD Writer is doing the same thing: sitting there waiting for media, when in fact, I have inserted 3 different kinds of CD-R. It's a fairly new writer, and it has worked fine before. I've tried several quality software packages, to no avail. I recently had to install a new motherboard and CPU. I also installed WinXP SP2. It worked fine before all that. I'm not sure if it was the new hardware installation (and ALL IDEs ane now cable select, my Intel MoBo wouldn't recognize the DVD-ROM or CD-ROM unless I did that) or the SP2 install. It writes to CD-RW media just fine, and reads all compatible media. It does, however, seem to take an inordinate amount of time to read CD-Rs, too. Any help here, folks?
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 19:01   #6
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

the only CD writer trouble I ever had was caused by a batch of bad CD-Rs, though I haven't actaully been able to use the writer for a different brand since (lack of CD-Rs and money) however those CD-Rs not working in my laptop, my desktop machine, my Linux machine, my friend's computer and the school's computer is enough proof for me, when I get around to buying some new discs it'll work again.

As for actaul hardware trouble... Well, get the latest drivers for your Mobo and CD-writer (if availble) and hope that fixes it, if it doesn't try switching the drivers back to manual selection

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2005, 22:07   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You have checked for BIOS updates guys ?

Stick to name media, not cheap shite. The lens maybe covered in crap as well.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 17:08   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I have tried Imation CD-R's and Phillips branded CD-R's - I too am now getting problems. Hmm...

I've downloaded updates no avail. It's a Sony CD-RW too (no surprise in the other thread, my Sony DVD drive has stopped working)
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2005, 23:52   #9
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
I have tried Imation CD-R's and Phillips branded CD-R's - I too am now getting problems. Hmm...

I've downloaded updates no avail. It's a Sony CD-RW too (no surprise in the other thread, my Sony DVD drive has stopped working)
Is the IDE cable ok ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 14:31   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's worth buying one of those CD lens cleaner discs to give that a go.