User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 May 2005, 13:43   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Will you keep up?

Something thats clear about the internet is that it seems the vast majority of people who use it are relatively young (teens, twenties (DM lol) ). This is easily put down to the fact that younger people tend to embrace new technology more than older ones. However, when we are all in our forties, will we still be onto the "new thing" whatever that is? I would like to be, but personally i doubt it, trends in history seem to go against it. Its quite possible we will be seen as old fashioned for using the internet when our kids are highly adept at some new fangled new technology.

Personally, im going to try and keep up with the march of technology, whether I will or not remains to be seen. The question is, will you try? And if you do, what do you think are your chances of sticking to that when you're old and ratty?

Douglas Adams - Anything created before you are 13 is the natural order of things, anything created between the ages of 13 and 35 is new and exciting, and anything created after you are 35 is new and scary.
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:37   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Will you keep up?

I am 29, seriously starting to lose interest in computergames and computer related stuff, don't know if that says something in this context though.
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:49   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's kind of hard to envisage what would be made that is not just a better version of what we have now. the internet was a kind of one-off invention which could be considered the natural progression of the telephone, but mixed with the releatively recent revolution brought about by the invention of the microchip.

If by future technology you are referring to bodily implants as suggested above then that would a very different situation.

Even basic things such as music storage. We've reached a stage where it's very difficult vo see how it could be topped in any real way. You are now able to store thusands of songs (as well as any other form of data) on one small device. You can fast-forward and rewind through songs and can play them in any order you wish. there is no need for multiple disks or anything. How can it be topped?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:03   #4
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Ive already gone off computer games and as a result the latest spec computers, i sound like an old fart but really reading wiki and the bbc pages or browsing chomsky or other things is the best way to pass your time on the internet, its full of knowledge kids. Add to that ive no desire for the latest mobile phones and most 12 yr olds are clued up on the newest ring tones and screen savers. 10 years time ill be staying off the streets incase im assualted by nokia's lightsabre phone complete with mp4/camera/inbuilt vibrator/dildo/pregnancy tester/drug administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt +40
pfft who needs to play 3d clitoris stimulation on the underground with some bint in mongolia, back in my day we had civilisation, taught you something that did, kids these days, sexsexsex.

I remember a game we played called planetarion, where you had to have social interaction to succeed...form alliances, then back stab them to win, not all this get your knob off nonesense.
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:07   #5
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Most of us simply doesn't have the technical insight to imagine what might come next. But I seriously doubt we've reached a plateu.

This to an extent this is bullshitting with confidence, but everyone has been talking about the biological revolution to come, true this has been said for the past 30 years and nothings happened, and most tissue engineering techniques are in their infancy (nothing beyond cartilage) but if they figure out how to switch on and off certain genes, ive always wondered if it would be possible to have cosmetic surgery to choose a different skin/eye/hair colour. It would certainly aid in uniting humanity.
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:28   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I've been into computers & various forms of technology since I was 4 (even programming basic programs on the C64). I'm as geeky as they come, technology is so ingrained into my life that despite age I could not imagine ever escaping it all.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:31   #7
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe you should get one of these then

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/26/te...=th&oref=login

For those who can't be bothered to register:

Quote:
A new product, Das Keyboard, seems to have both in mind. It's a regular 104-key keyboard - except that nothing is printed on the keys.

"It's really for geeks," said Daniel Guermeur, the creator. "They can already touch-type without looking. They feel a little bit superior. The keyboard is a statement."
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 14:19   #8
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
For those who can't be bothered to register:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/26/te...erland&emc=rss

or http://nytimes.blogspace.com/genlink if it doesn't work
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 15:06   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
It would certainly aid in uniting humanity.
I would disagree but thats another topic entirely.
Unread 28 May 2005, 15:13   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well it's commonly known that kids pick up on things more readily than adults.

When teaching for instance, I can just show a program to some pupils and they'll pick up on it really quickly, and play around with it. I find often that within 2 lessons or so, they'll have found quite a few new things I didn't even know about.

When you try to teach adults (I recently did a brief intro to Dreamweaver and Fireworks for some of the other teachers as they haven't used it) they don't like just fiddling, in case something goes wrong. They much prefer having some kind of guide or worksheet to go from, whereas younger people don't.

Most of us will be "experts" in using Microsoft Office and Windows I expect, even though we have never read a manual or helpguide for it (except maybe to refer to once or twice). That's simply because when we were younger we just fiddled with it and made mistakes.
Unread 28 May 2005, 16:02   #11
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

it seems to be true that older age people fall behind on technology, but it's quite clearly not true for everyone.

My grandmother for example still has a top of the line computer and actually plays several games, albeit not FPS's. A good example is Morrowind, which she has played (not sure if she still does) and some strategy games, including Warcraft 3.

In other words, on average, you're right about older people getting behind. I hope not to be average

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 16:06   #12
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Will you keep up?

this thread has reached an expansive plateau
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 16:06   #13
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

When I'm 40 I'll be more interested in my kids, should I have them, having dinner with friends and whether I should retire to the south of France in 10 years time than whether the new version of Firefox is out or not.

I'll still keep an interest in technology though.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 16:50   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Depends what it is. I doubt I'll care about the latest games consoles or televisions since I couldnt care less already, but if I ever reach the point where I dont pay attention to things like VR, life extension, space colonisation, brain research, consciousness/intelligence modifiication etc then I might as well be dead.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 17:07   #15
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
if I ever reach the point where I dont pay attention to life extension then I might as well be dead.

:up: