Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 01:54   #1
Shadow275
Commandant

Shadow275 is an unknown quantity at this point
The End of War

The End of War.

The year is 2220.

The war has raged for over 10 years now, humans, us, verses them, the machines.

We built them to protect us from the Syk, an Alien race which devestated the world in 2150, They were simple to reproduce, easy maintained, smart and above all, lethal. They drove the Syk back to their homeplanet within months of the first production run, they laid siege to that poor planet for two months before they had destroyed every piece of infrastructure and every square inch of every factory. We left that planet a smoldering husk in revenge for what they had done to our colonies and our homeworld.

But the machines, built for war, had no place in peace. After a long period in warehouses, the company, MechTek, ordered a complete recall and disarm. The machines disobeyed, at first they merely refused to move or be moved. Then, as always with men with too much power, the company ordered them destroyed through lethal force. The Machine's response was swift, they wiped out the attacking force in a blazing firefight and then moved on to the company Headquarters, leveling the building with all inside.

After that...it escalated, we dropped nukes on robotic colonies, they sent in ripper drones that tore people limb from limb, we attacked, they attacked, we defended, they defended. Its been a long time since we gained or lost any ground, but now we have a weapon the Machines don't know about, a man, no, a science God, Angelus Xentov. But its not that easy, he was captured by a machine scout ship not long after leaving the Tau Ceti Jumpgate, our forces have stepped up all operations, we're moving forward into the enemy turf once more and we need a few good men.

---Military command ship 'Echo Gamma Alpha'
---The Proxima-Tau Ceti Jumpgate crosspoint
---Current task: Monitor all enemy communications and brief influxing troops as to their missions.
---Admiral Tari Nikata commanding

The recycled air bites the back of the throat, it always does, its too pure...too unhealthy to do you any good, but this is a military vessel, not some pleasure cruise from Tai-La. The Admiral walked into the briefing room, her eyes were like cold steel, she'd seen her husband fall to a massive ripper attack, what those eyes had seen....She nodded her head at the command screen.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to EGA, I'm your commanding officer, if you don't like it you can jump out of an airlock" The amassed troops chuckled nervously, she was always known for her little inside jokes, unfortunally she had actually ejected a Private 'Hatter' Johns not one week ago for failure to maintain his weapons and EVA suit. Nobody found that funny.

"Now, as you all know we're going to export your sorry asses to Tau Ceti, we want to capture a machine colony on the third planet there, Mr Michael, your report"

A rather lanky scienist came forth, he was visibly nervous, shaking profusely, he tried to calm himself.

"Well, as you all know, we're going to go up against the Mark4 Machine Enhanced Type-X92/D"

"The eviserator.." Simons, a private, said quietly.

"yes, erm, yes, you call the Mark3 the eviserator, this one is actually the mark four, it has an additional 4 saw launchers and is capable of leaping 50 feet into the air."

There was a groan, everyone hated and I mean /hated/ eviserators.

"Heh, erm, yes, yes, the weakspots are as always, the neck joints and the leg joints. The head is heavily armored and the only way to put down the robot for sure is to blow his positronic core which is mounted in, erm, a shield area in the torso which is impervious to normal shells and heavily resistant to rocket fire."

The Admiral stepped up once again.

"You're moving out in two days, R&R is granted for one day and night, use it well gentlemen, dismissed"

Requirements:

Name:
(Cores are seperated into three, the Military core in which your skills are primarily weaponry based, The stealth core, in which your skills are mostly sneak attack with anti-robotic technology and the DarkOps Core. DarkOps core operators are individuals skilled in using the much secret 'MPA' or 'Mobile Psionic Amplifier', they have limited abilities (Which will be suggested by you then approved by me) and limited firearms training.

History (Although not needed, but good):

Particular weapon choice:
(Custom weapons optional, must be approved before use is allowed, technology is Laser/plasma level)

...yeah
Fire and Ice
Shadow275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 04:51   #2
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough
Re: The End of War

hmmm i'll play i'll post a character tommorow
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 20:20   #3
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

Name: Vicotnik Ärketrollmannen
Core: Military

Vicotnik Ärketrollmannen (or Ark for short) has lost everything in the war, his friends and family, his universe and world. He joined the fighting forces to get some sort of revenge but he is having second thoughts. He has seen no action whatsoever and only just passed the training.

He is well equipped with hate however.

Particular weapon choice: Whatever is standard.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 20:39   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmao
hmmm i'll play i'll post a character tommorow
Don't go around making promises you can't keep, it pisses DMs off immensly

name: Flapjack
core: DarkOps, attached to stealth core for support purposes (slight less powerfull with his amplifier, but better with light weapons and certain types of demolition weapons and possessing some stealth abilities.
Custom weapons: Modified Psi Amplifier (built primarily for a much less direct approach, it has a wider range and can affect a larger number of people simultaneously, however the abilities that can be used with it are also much more limited as a result
standard sidearm (laser weapon?)
mission specific equipment, including but not limited to demolition charges and EMP devices.
Psy abilities:
Spacebender: Lightly bends light and specific other radiation types to reduce the chance of being seen, close to perfect when standing still and thus allowing him to hide in plain sight (however mustn't get between any lightsource and a detector)
Impact dampening: Severely reduces noise from moving, the added impact absorbtion also increases the safe distance he can jump and fall safely (provided he lands on his feet ofcourse)
Shortcircuit: A short range abilities that directly affect electrons inside the target, at close range it can be used to 'crash' robots by moving electrons inside their processors and memory units, causing data corruption. If used correctly it can potentially be used to permanently disable a bot, this however requires large amounts of concentration and effort
History: To come later

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 01:09   #5
Shadow275
Commandant

Military Standard Kit:

One NRX-420 series assault rifle, fires energy pulses (Basically the same effects as a 7.62mm rifle shell except each clip is 300 rounds and there is little kickback) With Scope and light attachment.

One NRX-100 series pistol, also fires energy pulses, lower yield, 20 a pistol clip.

Three Energy Burst Grenades (Timers up to 99 minutes, default is 5 seconds)

One NRX-5 Laser cut army knife (With emergency high-power locator in handle)

One standard assault armour, capable of taking 2 shots (Placed roughly in the same armour plate (total 8 shots at front, two behind))

Three rifle, three pistol clips(Interchangable)
Fire and Ice
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 01:43   #6
Shadow275
Commandant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
Don't go around making promises you can't keep, it pisses DMs off immensly

core: DarkOps, attached to stealth core for support purposes (slight less powerfull with his amplifier, but better with light weapons and certain types of demolition weapons and possessing some stealth abilities.
Custom weapons: Modified Psi Amplifier (built primarily for a much less direct approach, it has a wider range and can affect a larger number of people simultaneously, however the abilities that can be used with it are also much more limited as a result
standard sidearm (laser weapon?)
mission specific equipment, including but not limited to demolition charges and EMP devices.
Psy abilities:
Spacebender: Lightly bends light and specific other radiation types to reduce the chance of being seen, close to perfect when standing still and thus allowing him to hide in plain sight (however mustn't get between any lightsource and a detector)
Impact dampening: Severely reduces noise from moving, the added impact absorbtion also increases the safe distance he can jump and fall safely (provided he lands on his feet ofcourse)
Shortcircuit: A short range abilities that directly affect electrons inside the target, at close range it can be used to 'crash' robots by moving electrons inside their processors and memory units, causing data corruption. If used correctly it can potentially be used to permanently disable a bot, this however requires large amounts of concentration and effort
Rejected.

You can be one of three cores, not ALL THREE CORES.
Fire and Ice
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 10:40   #7
flapjack
crashed computer

I'm a darkops core, attached to the stealth core... That makes me being trained by the darkops core mostly

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 15:18   #8
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

I can start whenever you are ready.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 20:14   #9
Shadow275
Commandant

Re-Edited Character Flapjack.

Quote:

core: DarkOps-Stealth Support Division (Tradeoff: Lessened power Psionically for increased stealth)

Custom weapons: Modified Psi Amplifier (Stealth division standard, lessened power, increased scope)

Equipment
One NRX-120 Stealth series pistol, also fires energy pulses, just below rifle yield, 40 a pistol clip, Silenced.

Three Energy Burst Grenades (Timers up to 99 minutes, default is 5 seconds)

One NRX-5 Laser cut army knife (With emergency high-power locator in handle)

One DarkOps Psi-Armour: Lessened armour for more psionic-energy receptors. Capable of recieving 4 shots to chest, 2 to back. (Modified, lessened receptors for increased stealth (Increased Psi Charge Time))

Three rifle, three pistol clips(Interchangable)

Psy abilities:

Telekinesis (Heavy limit): A standard DarkOps ability, also includes..
---Limited kinetic redirection: Allows moving objects to be redirected (The faster they go, the more energy required to alter their path, Fyi)

Telepathy (No limit): Another DarkOps Standard, allows telepathic messages to be sent to another human.

Precognition: The ability to see things before they happen (This is NOT a triggerable ability, so don't even try it)

Requested Psionic abilities:

Spacebender (Although, Photonic redirection or Invisibility would be a much easier name)

Impact Dampening (Noise reduction)

Shortcircuit. (Electric disruption)

Fire and Ice
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 20:38   #10
flapjack
crashed computer

sounds good to me, pretty much what I was coming at (except that you gave the core part a nicer name :P)

I'm currently working on the history, which is currently semi-finished, expect it soonish

Unread 19 Jan 2005, 22:49   #11
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Is this thread pronounced dead?
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 00:33   #12
Shadow275
Commandant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
Is this thread pronounced dead?
This thread is now pronouned open, once I have completed the 'Third Planet' storyline post.

Expect it in afew minutes time.
Fire and Ice
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 00:40   #13
Shadow275
Commandant

The Third planet.

‘They called it ‘The Third Planet’, it wasn’t that, it was hell and demons waited for us there.’
Extract from a soldiers diary, Machine Colony mission 4245/C

The sweat was thick in the dropship, the new marines, fresh from boot camp, were tensed over their rifles, reciting various mantras to cool their nerves. The regulars grinned, one of them had seen it fit to fall asleep on his jumpseat, they bantered and joked. Then, there were the guys in the back, the Psi’ers, they always sat there, plugged into there Psi-Amps, eyes closed, watching some invisible Psi-Show. We never did like that, they were too cool, too…..collected to be normal.

The launch light came on, a rotating red cylinder, the ship jerked as the release clamps lowered us into position, there was a hiss of gas and then….clunk….whoooosh. Our stomachs shot to our mouths as we went from gravity to weightlessness, the feeling of acceleration was incredible, we shot down to that planet faster than a speeding bullet. One of the new marines couldn’t take it, vomiting his Spartan military lunch forward, only to have it flung back into his face not a second later.

“Heads up, incoming flak….” The ship dodged right, throwing us about inside, there was a thud and a shower of sparks flew up from the cockpit. “…This is dropship 14, we have suffered massive damage, we’re losing navigation….now computers…..stick is dead….This is dropship 14...”

There was a titanic explosion, the cabin filled with fire, the heat was incredible, there was a bang and then….

….The world faded.

-

“….Adminstering adrenaline….Adminstering Biological repair agents….Reviving subject…”

The world suddenly shot back into full colour, his blood was fire, the new light burned his eyes and his flesh burned. He looked about, the scene he saw disturbed him.

The majority of his military buddies were dead, burned to a literal crisp, he looked at himself, his skin was charred, his armour blackened, his name tag burned off. He was lucky, the blast had hit him in the chest squarely, the damage was superficial to the armour but lethal to normal flesh, he counted his lucky stars.

“Anyone alive?” His voice was course, fire burned the back of his throat.

There was a grunt, someone shook visibly before opening their eyes groggily, he looked over, he was a regular, he coughed and chuckled.

“Death just spat me out, so I guess I’m alive” His medical computer flashed yellow, it was a warning, the guy had maybe acouple of hours before he died unless he got proper medical attention.

“Good to hear, shall we waltz on out of here, reg…?”

“Jacob and you?”

He pondered, he couldn’t actually remember his name, as hard as he tried he couldn’t…

“I don’t remember…”

“Well then, Nameless one, you think you could give me a hand outta this seat? I’ve managed to get myself all broken up over this crash..”

Nameless got out of his seat, carefully avoiding the burned limbs of his late friends, he stepped over a corpse that had released itself from a seat and reached out to help Jacob. The release lever popped, dropping Jacob into the floor with a loud bang, he groaned and hissed.

“You alright?”

“Nothing a bottle of Tequila, a salt shaker and some lemon wouldn’t solve” He said, trying to rise to his feet before collapsing back into the fallen corpse of another guy. Nameless helped him up quickly, securing him around his shoulders, they started to walk toward the back of the ship and a emergency exit.

“Jacob, you need to lay off the cheeseburgers”
“Ha, this isn’t cheeseburger, this is muscle”
“Sure, and my drill sergeant wore a pink frilly dress for manoeuvres”

The two soldiers left the burning wreck of the dropship, supplies had flown from the cargo bay and were scattered about the place. Nameless dropped Jacob off next to a large medical crate, he pulled supplies out of it and started tending to his injuries.

Other soldiers crawled from the flaming wreckage, they were dazed, but otherwise uninuried. Jacob noticed them out the corner of his eye and yelled.

"Form up!"

There was a sudden sound merely seconds behind Jacob's yell, flying robots appeared over the surrounding hills and shot toward Nameless and Jacob....

-

Mission objective:
Kill the flying robots (One post)
Nameless and Jacob must survive.

-

I shall update this thread once a day.
Everyone try to do one post a day.
Fire and Ice
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 12:40   #14
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ark crawled out from beneath a dead friend shrugging. He checked his HUD and it didn't indicate anything major, no broken bones or busted organs. He used his 420-rifle as support and dragged himself to his feet. It seemed like all the other people had already exited the craft.

The young private shock his head at the destruction around him and headed out, only to be thrown back in again, a missile had been aimed for someone infront of him, the corpse of the soldier ha struck Ark straight in the chest and knocked the wind out of him yet again. This time he was on his feet faster tough, this time he knew he could fight back.

He crouched behind the body of the dead soldier and looked out over the battle ahead of him, small attackships, he remembered them as a-5s were doing strafing rounds, their gatling guns and beams of death scorching the ground. Ark brought his rifle up, remembering the drill, he could almost her the instructor right behind his ear, "steady, lean against the cover, squeese the trigger, no more than five shots per burst".

And he did exactly that, the first burst struck the a-5 just bythe right cannon, scratching the surface. It turned to face him and he fired of another burst, striking it flat in the middle. It didn't seem to make any difference, and when he saw the lser point over his chest he knew he was going to die....
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 16:30   #15
flapjack
crashed computer

*Flapjack had crawled out a little before the A-5s started coming, he had quickly hid behind 1 of the wings and pretty much out of sight to check his psi amplifier over quickly. Almost immediatly gunfire started around him as 1 of the A-5s blew a man back into the dropship, Flapjack finished his check, his psi-amp appeared undamaged and it seemed it was the right time to use it*

*This Flapjack carefully peered out, he immediatly spotted a perfect target, 1 of the A-5s took a burst on the front and turned to face a target inside the dropship, the targetting laser strafed right over Flapjack's chest before coming into the dropship, where it would come to rest on its target. As he concentrated time appeared to slow down like it always did, electronic components lighting up through there covers. It wasn't hard to find what he was targetting on the A-5, the front targetting sensor was lighting up like a small nuke in deep space*

*Immediatly Flapjack focused further, 'zooming' in on the sensor and pinpointing his actions, he decided to simply move as much as possible of the electrons from 1 side of the sensor to the other, an action which would certainly throw the aim of the A-5 off, as the distinct hum of the gatling cannons started up, Flapjack did his job, pushing all off the electrons in the sensor from 1 side to the other, the A-5 now thinking its target had somehow moved off 90 degrees to its side as it swung around to shoot at thin air, while revealing its weaker side-armor to whoever it was in that dropship*

Unread 20 Jan 2005, 20:09   #16
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ark couldn't believe his luck when the end never came, a second later his training kicked in and he fired two short bursts straight into the interior of the a-5. The hot pulse went straight for the heart of the AI, it's motherboard. It shock while in midair and it's rightside motor stopped humming. When only one motor was engaged it tilted over and went into the ground, several feet below.

Ark couldn't believe it, he should be dead, now he had finished his first machine.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 17:37   #17
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

what happened to the daily modding?
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 19:38   #18
Shadow275
Commandant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
what happened to the daily modding?
Flappy didn't actually kill anything and I was far far to loaded and hungover to write.

Damn you booze, damn you.
Fire and Ice
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 20:13   #19
flapjack
crashed computer

You do understand I have to threaten you with something now, right?

okay, lemme see.... *Flapjack pulls out his list of threats you can make against DMs*

If you don't DM soon, I'll reveal to the world what you REALLY did last summer

*Flapjack puts the list away, after checking 1 of the boxes*

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 01:55   #20
Shadow275
Commandant

Quote:
You do understand I have to threaten you with something now, right?

okay, lemme see.... *Flapjack pulls out his list of threats you can make against DMs*

If you don't DM soon, I'll reveal to the world what you REALLY did last summer

*Flapjack puts the list away, after checking 1 of the boxes*
Kill something or I shall call down the unholy wrath of the 'Character eraser 4000' and you shall cease to exist.

Good post.
Fire and Ice
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 12:31   #21
flapjack
crashed computer

*Flapjack quickly changed targets, a second A-5 had headed towards Jacob, while a third was flying directly next to it. Acting quickly, Flapjack focused in on the targeting array of the second A-5, this time he had a lot more time and a much more complicated plan*

*Flapjack quickly set to work intisde the targetting array, moving electrons around to show the second A-5 that his target was in fact the third A-5, momentarily the OS of the A-5 struggled, its target wasn't supposed to be flying, but then it decided to just shoot anyways, the gatlings quickly coming up to revs as the third A-5 realised what was about to happen*

*Almost an entire second, which seemed like an eternity, passed before the second A-5 finally opened fire, its high velocity rounds ripping through the air as they sped towards the third A-5, which was by now firing its own guns on the second A-5, both exposing their side-armor to the dropship, Jacob, the nameless soldier and anybody inside the dropship*

*Sparks flew across the space seperating the 2 A-5s as the first bullets started slamming into the armor of both of the bots. Apparently it was at this time that the second A-5s OS finally realised it had been tricked, its barrels spinning down as Flapjack centered his aim on the back of the bot, its aft armor almost non-existant, and started squeezing off shots, the first few rounds breaking off the bot's armor, allowing the remainder of the shots to penetrate deep into the A-5*

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:52   #22
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ark rushes out, beneath the flashes and convulsions from the dying robots. He chucks himself down just next to a small hill and starts pouring fire onto the remaining a-5s, thanking his lucky star that he was still alive, and that his rounds had been capable of penetrating the armour of the bots.

He crawled up next to his colleauges by the medical cargo.

"What the hell do we do now?"