User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 15:00   #1
Nashmeister

The most underrated fairly recent game ever

I think it should be

Jet Force Gemini

That game was REALLY good. I love third person shooters.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 15:26   #2
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
comedy "planetarion" option
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 15:52   #3
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
tribes 2

its tons better than cs ffsand that q3 team thingy
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 18:59   #4
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Jet Force Gemini was an appallingly uncontrollable mess of a game. Words fail me.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 19:28   #5
kiora
too orangy for crows

kiora is an unknown quantity at this point
Lamentation sword.

Can't remember how recent that was though
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 19:35   #6
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Perfect Dark

Microsoft have bought Rare from Nintendo recently, which completly blows donkey cock. :/
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:09   #7
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
perfect dark was genius. pure and simple. must go play again.
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:20   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Perfect Dark was not underrated. Underrated doesn't mean "good", it means not rated highly, which it was by most people. I've actually never played it, but it got "rave" reviews, and it was talked talked about almost one millionth of the amount of threads that GD had about GTA: VC.

Basically, it was talked about an awful lot.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:53   #9
MonotoneMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
tribes 2

its tons better than cs ffsand that q3 team thingy
It's a different genre of game, isn't it?

Anyway, my vote would go to Global Operations.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:01   #10
Nashmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Mage
Neither Jet force Gemini or Perfect Dark were underated.

Gemini WAS underrated. Half the people on these boards haven't heard of the game, seeing as everyone here is a videogame nerd, it's strange.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:07   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Someone should really do a computer convert on Conspiracy X.
Now that would make a great game.

Sorry.
Irrelevance.
Nuisance...
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:12   #12
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nashmeister

Gemini WAS underrated. Half the people on these boards haven't heard of the game, seeing as everyone here is a videogame nerd, it's strange.
I actually got that game for my birthday from someone 2-3 years ago, but I returned it to the store because it looked "ghey". Did I miss out on a decent game?
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:19   #13
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Uplink. Best Hacking game around, and most people have never heard of it
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:49   #14
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all
About 2 years old now, a great game, sadly few people took any notice of it. Oh well it was their loss...

Sacrifice

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 00:28   #15
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Dungeon Keeper

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 04:38   #16
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Jet Force was under-rated by all the people who couldn't handle how big it was and that they couldn't finish it in a week.

still, getting all the tribals takes patience and it took me a while to getting round to doing it.

Tri-rocket launcher > * (only because fishfood doesn't seem to do anything)
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 15:48   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Descent III

Possibly Serious Sam 2 as well, though correct me if I'm mistaken.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 18:41   #18
mogrika

Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
Perfect Dark

Microsoft have bought Rare from Nintendo recently, which completly blows donkey cock. :/
IMFOMFOGMGOHHFFGGGG NOO NOT M$$$$$ THEY AER TEH SUX)RRRRR
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 18:49   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the word "ever" is contradictory in the title is it not?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 00:00   #20
Nashmeister

Yes it is, but deal with it bitch.
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 00:06   #21
dex-dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Dungeon Keeper
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 00:36   #22
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point
Klingon Academy; really a decent game if internet play had been enabled better. Still took a lot of my time in single player and over lan though; esp with all the mods
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 00:46   #23
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
warcraft 2

infinitely better than that c&c wank
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 01:08   #24
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
i was upset when i thought i had completed JFG, only to discover the main page change, lupus could float and every level had to be redone to get those pesky furry things and fly about.

It wasnt BRILLIANT but it was majorly over rated and did provide many many hours of gameplay.

PD, well it wasnt goldeneye and it wasnt the sequel to goldeneye it had been advertised to be.
it didnt have the replay value of goldeneye, or the multiplayer fun.

farsight or was it farscape gun on multiplayer with everyone knowing how to use it was like the most amusing point of it.

as opposed to goldeneye's many multiplay classics......
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 01:40   #25
Pineapple
Banned

Pineapple is an unknown quantity at this point
total annihilation
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 02:08   #26
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
hmm

it's not exactly recent, but system shock 2 was a good game. And like all Looking Glass games, was brushed under the carpet...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 09:26   #27
Nashmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by Pineapple
total annihilation

Oh god, that was just a WEAK remake of wc... Worst game ever.
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 10:17   #28
Cooling

Quote:

it wasnt a weak remake of anything. the interface in that game and the sheer volume of different strategys and levels make it the only rts really worth playing

i look at games like starcrap and think my fking god, games like that have made all subsequent games in the genre a pile of utter wank.

DIE ZHIL (starcraft lover)

Oh also the msot underrated game ever has to be fragile allegiance. It reminds me of pa, but with actual graphics and real gameplay
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 11:22   #29
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Slave Zero
X - Beyond the Frontier

And my own personal favourite choice

METAL FATIGUE - This game was so incredibly cool..... I think i may just have to get my cd out of the closet and play it again.

An RTS with 3 levels of play (ground, subterranean and sky) and Giant (and i really mean giant) configurable robots
What more could you ask for?

GIANT ROBOTS
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak

Last edited by Geeza; 24 Nov 2002 at 11:55.
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:20   #30
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
just reminded me of Battledrome. That was another mech game, quite old now but the gameplay was awesome.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:25   #31
K03N
Banned

K03N is an unknown quantity at this point
Kick of III; European challenge. (SNES)

there is NO footballgame that can compete with the gameplay of this one. oh btw, noone beats me with this game. :/
K03N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:37   #32
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
just reminded me of Battledrome. That was another mech game, quite old now but the gameplay was awesome.

=[DJ Bass]=

that game was fantastic
i spent hours and hours kicking the crap out of other mechs and building/modifying/buying stuff..

ah the good old days....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:43   #33
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
X- Beyond the Frontier
Transport Tycoon
Indy Heat
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 15:20   #34
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
X- Beyond the Frontier
Transport Tycoon
Indy Heat
Well we agree on X anyway.... excellent game
---
Zak
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 20:00   #35
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

oh Im not sure if i mentioned....

GIANT

ROBOTS
---
Zak
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 22:35   #36
Metal Storage

Got to agree with Pineapple and go for Total Annihilation.

Still is best RTS out there and was way better than WC. Gameplay and unit control in TA is years ahead of what WC offered.

Best game ever still has to be Bubble Bobble :-)
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 22:39   #37
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Sim Tower

I once got to the 100th floor!
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 04:08   #38
Nashmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal Storage

Still is best RTS out there and was way better than WC. Gameplay and unit control in TA is years ahead of what WC offered.

I play that while cleaning my clothes at the clothes cleaner. I think it's bubble babble...

I don't think any sim game has ever been underrated...

And Forsaken was HUGELY underrated... unfortunately it wasn't particularly great, it was similar to descent, but the music rocked.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 05:09   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

Despite having:
a different resource dynamic
a different damage dynamic
a different build dynamic

and has been the only game that to my knowledge has implemented nukes and artillery correctly, allowed the inclusion of user created units easily, gave almost destroyed players to actually continue to compete later on in the game, doesn't have the game descend into stalemate when the resources run out (because they don't) and actually has working radar.

[edit]

In fact, the only similarities as far as I can tell is that they are both RTS, both use units to build things and both feature air, land and sea units.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 25 Nov 2002 at 05:31.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:51   #40
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal Storage

I didn't think TA was underrated at all.

(this isn't the 'best game thread' btw)
---
Zak
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 09:23   #41
Cooling

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

and has been the only game that to my knowledge has implemented nukes and artillery correctly, gave almost destroyed players to actually continue to compete later on in the game
1. Artillery in ta is extremely poor and ineffective, it is also highly accurate all the time. Which is probably why noone ever uses it in online play

2. The chances of anyone ever coming back from being almost destroyed later in the game are as low as in any RTS. If somone is making things twice as much as you are then there is little chance you will ever win unless they do somthing retarded.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 09:26   #42
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Cooling

1. Artillery in ta is extremely poor and ineffective, it is also highly accurate all the time. Which is probably why noone ever uses it in online play

2. The chances of anyone ever coming back from being almost destroyed later in the game are as low as in any RTS. If somone is making things twice as much as you are then there is little chance you will ever win unless they do somthing retarded.
1. It was never said that it was useful, only that it was well implemented.

2. Who ever said anything about it being a 1 on 1?
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 10:59   #43
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
I've actually read a very good essay as to why Total Annihilation was fundamentally flawed. Having realistic nukes is all well and good, but what is the risk factor in just sitting in your base building nukes/counter nukes all day. Do you not think that, since every game just dissolves into this in the end, it rather spoils things?

Starcraft was, is, and always shall be the pinnacle of RTS design and implementation. No RTS I've ever played comes within 10 light years of having such a variety of finely-balanced strategies. The only true imbalance is when playing a slapstick 3v3 and some sod goes carriers (as people inevitably do) - they could have removed carriers from the game and made it better.

I say it again for the hard of hearing - Jet Force Gemini is an abomination I bought on the promise it was very good from sources I trusted. It's not the first time I've been stung by a %^"! game that got rave reviews, unless there's a lock-on button somewhere in the controls that I missed.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 12:04   #44
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
NHL '93.
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 18:05   #45
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
codename eagle

wouldve been awesome multiplayer, all the vehicles etc. it never really got anywhere and had very poor reviews
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:30   #46
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
I've actually read a very good essay as to why Total Annihilation was fundamentally flawed. Having realistic nukes is all well and good, but what is the risk factor in just sitting in your base building nukes/counter nukes all day. Do you not think that, since every game just dissolves into this in the end, it rather spoils things?
Just turn them off....you can't write an entire game off based on a building type that can be turned off before you start playing.
---
Zak
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 22:59   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman

Starcraft was, is, and always shall be the pinnacle of RTS design and implementation. No RTS I've ever played comes within 10 light years of having such a variety of finely-balanced strategies. The only true imbalance is when playing a slapstick 3v3 and some sod goes carriers (as people inevitably do) - they could have removed carriers from the game and made it better.
1. You cannot win off nukes alone.
2. You can turn nukes off.
3. Starcraft is no way near as strategic as TA. Tactically, maybe. Race balance, maybe. But given the immensely restricted number of things you can do, it just doesn't have the scope.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 04:17   #48
Strike

Forsaken.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 09:52   #49
Cooling

Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy

1. It was never said that it was useful, only that it was well implemented.

2. Who ever said anything about it being a 1 on 1?
1. For somthing to be well implimented would denote that it would serve some practical and usful purpose. That would be one of the factors that one would look at when one is examining a 'well implimented' item. IF artillery was well implimented in the game it would have a longer range than 3/4 of a screen on 800x600 and would actually do some real damage over a reasonable area. The artillery in ta is extremely poorly implimented, ask anyone who has played the game online for a reasonable amount of time and they will tell you the same thing.

2. in a 2v2 situation if your pard goes down but isnt killed you are severely weakened and thus your side will ultimatly lose. There are very rarely any comebacks from that situation in a decent game. FFA perhaps is different but i would argue the situation in a FFA would be identical to that of ANY rts game. 3v3 and 4v4 games are played so rarely that i hardly think it matters
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 09:58   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Cooling

1. For somthing....

2. in a 2v2 situation.....
1. What the hell are you talking about?

2. I would say that to come back from near destruction in ffa in any of the xcraft games is next to impossible, and it's damn difficult at best in the C&C games. The only reason its possible in TA is the resource dynamic.