User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Aug 2004, 06:30   #101
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seriously though

I think that if you'd had a planet, if you actually played the game, you would see things differently Zhukov.

Why is it we only see complaining about 1up's victory? Why don't we see the normal whining of overtargeted underlings? Why aren't people complaining about stagnation?

The problem isn't that no one but 1up had a chance to win, it's that none of the others seized that opportunity. Don't blame 1up for being good, blame the other alliance for being inept. Despite their attempts at blocking against 1up, despite their roid leads and despite their superior fleet numbers, they managed to piss it away. If they'd just copied 1up's tactics they would have won, but instead of letting innovation get in the way, they tried an old strategy and got hammered for it.

You have no excuses, your favorites lost because they suck. This isn't about 'redefining the battlefield', this is about pulling their collective heads out of their asses.
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 07:28   #102
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think that if you'd had a planet, if you actually played the game, you would see things differently Zhukov.

Why is it we only see complaining about 1up's victory? Why don't we see the normal whining of overtargeted underlings? Why aren't people complaining about stagnation?

The problem isn't that no one but 1up had a chance to win, it's that none of the others seized that opportunity. Don't blame 1up for being good, blame the other alliance for being inept. Despite their attempts at blocking against 1up, despite their roid leads and despite their superior fleet numbers, they managed to piss it away. If they'd just copied 1up's tactics they would have won, but instead of letting innovation get in the way, they tried an old strategy and got hammered for it.
No, they got hammered for not embracing the old strategy early and complete.
Quote:
You have no excuses, your favorites lost because they suck. This isn't about 'redefining the battlefield', this is about pulling their collective heads out of their asses.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 09:17   #103
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
No, they got hammered for not embracing the old strategy early and completely.
We can't know that. People playing PA these days have fallen into a lull of thinking everything is superpredictable. Much of 1up's success is an exploitation of that. Everyone 'knew' that 1up was going to win, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion. Nor would their loss be guaranteed if people had blocked up solidly and early. I, for one, don't think Sid would make that mistake again.
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 12:27   #104
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
No, they got hammered for not embracing the old strategy early and complete.
What "old strategy"? Is there a particular "old strategy" that you are thinking of, or is this a vague euphemism for something else?

As for Zhukov, I'm starting to think this argument will have to go unresolved. We will simply have to agree to disagree - I stand by my argument that having a round which starts without blocks is better than a round which starts with predefined blocks (and therefore a predefined victory).

I also believe that for the "neutral" player it's better to see a situation where one alliance wins, than having to live under the domination of a 3-alliance block (which inevitably becomes a 2-alliance block once they need the roids). So far, we have you and Rumad beating the anti-1up drum on AD, and I don't think we've seen so much as a single complaint from someone who is actually playing the game.

Imagine LCH, Vision and Mistu had formed a block before ticks started, and won. Right now we'd be hearing the traditional whining about stagnation, block politics and probably vociferous complaints from whichever of the three alliances has been kicked out of the block. The remaining two alliances would have a complete stranglehold on the top 100. I may be biased () but I think that's a boring kind of round (if only because it has been done so many times before).
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 01:03   #105
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

Bullsh** from begining to end her Jester.

1) Its a random round, dont even think about blaiming this round relative success on 1ups anti-blocking stance. Rob has already tried that retoricial trick once, and Im wondering if your able to read.
2) Gerbie's post is a winner. Hammering down 1up from the very first ticks would have made things completly different.
3) Its not about redifining the battlefield, its about playing on different battlefield. Its about thinking outside the box, so to speak. Vision, LCH and MISTU failed, becouse they played inside the box.
4) I had no favourites this round, I hardly know who plays in the three above mentioned alliances for exampel. Though I had one favourite to win the round, 1up, and I wasnt even worried that they wouldnt win, even when LCH overtook them for a while.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 01:25   #106
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Everyone keeps mentioning the no-blocking is what caused 1up to win.

Do you not think that if we blocked 1up could still of won easily? Answer that question and arguments on random gals is null and void.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 01:46   #107
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
What "old strategy"? Is there a particular "old strategy" that you are thinking of, or is this a vague euphemism for something else?

As for Zhukov, I'm starting to think this argument will have to go unresolved. We will simply have to agree to disagree - I stand by my argument that having a round which starts without blocks is better than a round which starts with predefined blocks (and therefore a predefined victory).

I also believe that for the "neutral" player it's better to see a situation where one alliance wins, than having to live under the domination of a 3-alliance block (which inevitably becomes a 2-alliance block once they need the roids). So far, we have you and Rumad beating the anti-1up drum on AD, and I don't think we've seen so much as a single complaint from someone who is actually playing the game.

Imagine LCH, Vision and Mistu had formed a block before ticks started, and won. Right now we'd be hearing the traditional whining about stagnation, block politics and probably vociferous complaints from whichever of the three alliances has been kicked out of the block. The remaining two alliances would have a complete stranglehold on the top 100. I may be biased () but I think that's a boring kind of round (if only because it has been done so many times before).
Your again comparing this round (a random round) to previous private rounds. If you shall compare it with anything, r8 is the most comparable I belive.

Anyways, people like myself, Lokken and Rumad, have the luxury to comment on this round without putting something in it reputationwise, as we are not command members (Lokken is as far as Ive picked up a peon in Newdawn these days). Nor do we have to be quiet about anything, nor do we need to fear the usual slandering you get from the Fury PR Squad, when you post something they dont like (hello Tis, your latest attempt was patethic).

Yes, I am imagining that. AND BET WHO'S NOT WINNING THEN? oh, thats you and 1up isnt it
There's the whole point.
Ofcourse, we shall agree to disagree on that.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 02:49   #108
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
1) Its a random round, dont even think about blaiming this round relative success on 1ups anti-blocking stance. Rob has already tried that retoricial trick once, and Im wondering if your able to read.
2) Gerbie's post is a winner. Hammering down 1up from the very first ticks would have made things completly different.
3) Its not about redifining the battlefield, its about playing on different battlefield. Its about thinking outside the box, so to speak. Vision, LCH and MISTU failed, becouse they played inside the box.
4) I had no favourites this round, I hardly know who plays in the three above mentioned alliances for exampel. Though I had one favourite to win the round, 1up, and I wasnt even worried that they wouldnt win, even when LCH overtook them for a while.
Ok, first off, it is rHetorical. Secondly, it isn't really a rhetorical trick what Rob said, he simply stated his opinion and his view on the round. There will always be people who complain about the winners having it too easy, but the fact is that 1up have not had this round easy at all. We have had a number of people put in a lot of time to hang on and win. 1up has also been far from impervious to attack, and still are not. We still have times when we cant cover incomings. If you had played the round, seen the amount of incomings on all sides then you would know that the round was actually well fought on all sides.

An unfortunate incident this round was the whole FAnG mishap. That was another competitor that sort of fell out of the running, some of them went in to strengthen MISTU, but it was still a blow to the anti-1up movement.

The real tragedy this round was not that 1up won, but it was the horrific balance of the races. There are more Xans in the top 100 than there are 1up, and less zik and cath than there are people from other alliances. Perhaps this race imbalance is also a reason for the success of 1up. Has anyone ever stopped to think that part of what gave 1up an edge was that they are made up mostly of terrans and xans. There are very few zik and cath in 1up, which not only makes 1up harder to attacker, but have more punch when it comes to defending.

Instead of worrying so much about the alliance situation for next round, lets get the game mechanics first. This round worked out well, and if we went into next round in much the same way as this round it would be a completely different outcome. Everyone will be gunning for 1up much harder from the start, and it wont be quite necessary for a big block to pound them down, or even NAPs. The other alliances have all learned their lessons from this round, and are hopefully getting their military strategies in order. They have proven that they know how to fight on their own. What they need to learn from this round, is when they need to block, and how to effectively make that happen. Dont block when it isn't needed, as that only adds to stagnation and the decline of PA.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 03:02   #109
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Your again comparing this round (a random round) to previous private rounds. If you shall compare it with anything, r8 is the most comparable I belive.

Anyways, people like myself, Lokken and Rumad, have the luxury to comment on this round without putting something in it reputationwise, as we are not command members (Lokken is as far as Ive picked up a peon in Newdawn these days). Nor do we have to be quiet about anything, nor do we need to fear the usual slandering you get from the Fury PR Squad, when you post something they dont like (hello Tis, your latest attempt was patethic).

Yes, I am imagining that. AND BET WHO'S NOT WINNING THEN? oh, thats you and 1up isnt it
There's the whole point.
Ofcourse, we shall agree to disagree on that.
You definately have nothing to fear reputation-wise. Your reputation is of talking shit, and that doesnt seem to be changing.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 03:16   #110
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix
The real tragedy this round was not that 1up won, but it was the horrific balance of the races. There are more Xans in the top 100 than there are 1up, and less zik and cath than there are people from other alliances. Perhaps this race imbalance is also a reason for the success of 1up. Has anyone ever stopped to think that part of what gave 1up an edge was that they are made up mostly of terrans and xans. There are very few zik and cath in 1up, which not only makes 1up harder to attacker, but have more punch when it comes to defending.

Speaking as an MO this round, having mainly xans in 1up is certainly not a good thing :/
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 06:49   #111
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix

Instead of worrying so much about the alliance situation for next round, lets get the game mechanics first. This round worked out well, and if we went into next round in much the same way as this round it would be a completely different outcome. Everyone will be gunning for 1up much harder from the start, and it wont be quite necessary for a big block to pound them down, or even NAPs. The other alliances have all learned their lessons from this round, and are hopefully getting their military strategies in order. They have proven that they know how to fight on their own. What they need to learn from this round, is when they need to block, and how to effectively make that happen. Dont block when it isn't needed, as that only adds to stagnation and the decline of PA.
I guess the inbalance in races will be corrected. The alliance I was in was Terran heavy. I don't think that was all bad. Terran is the strongest race, although it loses in a direct confrontation with Xan. It just needs cath and zik...

I disagree about the last bit. Alliances made a calculated risk that 1up would win. They prefered not to block asap as they knew what that might lead to. I'm not sure that policy will change. Yes, some of the larger alliances will target 1up from the start, but as long as 1up doesn't get too much of a lead they will not co-operate too much. Except from Mistu, VsN and LCH I don't see any other alliances that have the ambition to defeat 1up. Those alliances will try not to get involved and save themselfs the attacks by 1up.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 16:34   #112
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
You definately have nothing to fear reputation-wise. Your reputation is of talking shit, and that doesnt seem to be changing.
nor do we need to fear the usual slandering you get from the Fury PR Squad

Ive taking you in lying and beeing a hypocratic, so who are you too speak anyways?

(hello Zhil, your attempt is patethic)
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 16:45   #113
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Ive taking you in lying and beeing a hypocratic
Zhil is a doctor?
Unread 24 Aug 2004, 17:05   #114
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts

got me in the mood for doctors & nurses now damn it
10:04| »» <Vir> |10:02| »» <Zhil> Kj doesnt need taunting <---- true he only needs a mirror
|10:04| »» <Vir> |10:05| »» <Zhil> lol
|10:05| »» <Zhil> I just got the image |10:05| »» <Zhil> of KJ
|10:05| »» <Zhil> being a budgie |10:05| »» <Vir> lmao
|10:05| »» <Zhil> and going "Pretty FAnG boy!" |10:05| »» <Zhil> talking into the mirror |10:05| »» <Zhil> little bell "ding ding ding"
Former: TRG, SL, AIM, ND, G-ii, EtY, ICD [1up], ReUnioN
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote