User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 10 Nov 2003, 02:08   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Spyware unremovable?!

For a long time I've been trying to combat some supposed spyware on my pc. When I load up MSIE, a blue bar pop ups under the address bar, with links to sites and it's in flash or something. You know when you right click the MSIE at the top somewhere a lil menu with "Links, Adress Bar, Standard Buttons & Lock toolbars" appears - well this has some 7/8 letter random and an option selected. I untick it, and Ad-ware Ad-Watch states registry modifcations under Internet Explorer in HKEY Local machine & current user. So I delete all these modifcations and any reference to "Quickbar-search" & "quickbar". I also searched for the random letter combo above and deleted them form my registry.

I've also ran Norton Antivirus and nothing was found. I've ran Spybot Search & Destroy but it comes up with nothing. I know the spyware is still there as I get ad-aware stating "Tracking company" as the data of spyware and its a miner.

You probably wont understand but i need help - thanks!

*** EDIT: Click here to see the spyware thingy in action***

*** EDIT #2: Here's a list of my processes - most I know - some I don't
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 10 Nov 2003 at 13:36.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 02:55   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Spyware unremovable?!

No.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 09:16   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

how will installing that help me?
----------retired-------
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 10:32   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Opera is shite sorry,

I use MSIE right now, but If i couldn't, I'd rather use Mozilla Firebird.

Anyway, have you updated all your spyware search programs?

You could manually edit the registry to get rid if it if you can.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 13:13   #5
Androme
☆ ♥ 

***EDIT - I've updated the first post with a screenie of my processes and the blue bar I was talking about

I dunno - I've tried and searched with the values Ad-awatch blocks that the spyware is adding to my Internet Explorer registry settings

I could go through the lengthy process of reinstalling MSIE, but I'm afraid the spyware will continue to do so (and I use a browser that uses MSIE as a backend or something - www.crazybrowser.com) and yet no virus programs pick it up? Spyboy & Ad-aware (Plus version) both are only able to pick up the cookies it creates, and Ad-awatch blocks some registry modifcations but not all and I am constantly having to remove them from the registry but not all are removed

Under Explorer bars are few keys but it doesn't look dodgy and is is binary or whatever form - I'm guessing a solution would be to delete one of these but I am not sure which and my searches on google proved void.
----------retired-------

Last edited by Androme; 10 Nov 2003 at 13:35.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:40   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

i can't really see anything wrong with the process list, apart from evntsvc.exe, since it is so small, not a system process and "looks" like it is trying to pass as a normal process.

I don't think your spyware would be run as a seperate process though.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 23:11   #7
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Evntsvc.exe is a part of RealOne Player and you don't need it for RealOne Player. I don't know if it solves your problem, but you can give it a try

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 00:38   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

although it hasn't helped with the problem, that site has seen about 60% of unnecessary starting up stuff from msconfig and loading up - thanks
----------retired-------
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 18:44   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

There was a place in IE somewhere where you could configure your IE plugins. Dunno where that was, but I'm sure you can find the bugger there.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 09:24   #10
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
There was a place in IE somewhere where you could configure your IE plugins. Dunno where that was, but I'm sure you can find the bugger there.
Turn off 3rd party browser extensions. The damn thing will still be there, but if you can't see it...
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 17:52   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Found it

Some dude in my class also had it on his project PC. It's called mysearch from www.lop.com

Now, you go to www.lop.com and on the bottom you find a section "HELP". There you find a FAQ and you look for the link that says "How do I uninstall one of your software products?". Download the uninstaller and run it.

This fixed it at the project computer at school. We just did this today and did one reboot afterwards, so we don't know if there are any side-effects to this uninstaller (which wouldn't really surprise me, since lop is a big spammer).
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 18:12   #12
Androme
☆ ♥ 

thanks Struct - I'll have a look and see if it helps
----------retired-------
Unread 20 Nov 2003, 01:34   #13
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this once:/ I removed the bar over and over and it kep coming back. Apprently they use trickery through the host file.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:05   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

my hosts file, which I've looked at, only contains one entry (127.0.0.1)

remember how you got it removed? :|
----------retired-------
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 00:18   #15
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road

Looks familiar to something I removed from my parents computer. If my memory isn't fooling me completly, it was installed as a browser helper object.

Using a browser helper object editor like http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,270,00.asp you should be able to identify it and find the dll file it is loaded from and remove it. Remember to close all instances of internet explorer before you try to remove it. And then delete the browser helper object file containing that toolbar.
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 13:32   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Another way to view helper objects (and this is where I've found a lot of spyware/adware in the past) is via Internet Options.

For windows xp:
Open Internet Options, either via control panel or through IE.
On the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click Settings.
In the dialog that comes up, click View Objects.

You now have a folder showing all the browser plugins installed.
Some of them will have useful names, some of them will just have a class ID number.
To find out what they are, right click on one and select Properties, and then see what is under the CodeBase heading.

For example, I have one called {00000161-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, and under CodeBase it says http://codecs.microsoft.com/codecs/i386/msaudio.cab - so it's an audio codec from microsoft, which shouldn't be a problem.

To remove anything that sounds dodgy, just right click on it and select Remove.

I wouldn't normally say this, but in this case it is perfectly ok to remove anything you're suspicious about. If you go to a website which requires the component you removed, you'll simply be prompted to download it again so you won't do any permanent damage if you remove something valid by accident.

Unread 22 Nov 2003, 18:02   #17
Androme
☆ ♥ 

thanks megla - but nothing fishy came up :/

TheShadow - I have to pay for that which is a bum - I'll search for freeware alternatives though - thanks
----------retired-------
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 11:33   #18
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road

Right, they have changed it since the time I downloaded it :/ Shouldn't be much trouble to find a free one anyway
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 14:06   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

luckily I did - this page helped me out - thanks Shadow - it looks like the solution I've been needing

http://www.pcflank.com/art36.htm

*EDIT: turns out the only object I have there is one for Adobe Acrobat Reader

thanks for the help though :|
----------retired-------
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 23:37   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
Opera is shite sorry
Opera is ace.

I prefer it to the imo a tad disappointing Firebird, which apparently doesn't even have a 'open requested pop-ups only' feature
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 00:50   #21
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve

Something I live by when taking spyware and adware off my sisters comptuer is Spybot Search and Destroy. You can get it at www.download.com Its like an antivirus for spyware and adware it searches for known adware and spyware on your PC and then gives you the option of wether or not to remove it. It comes in quite handy. Note it does take a while for it to scan. And another plus is you can update it to include new adware and spyware just like norton live update.
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 18:44   #22
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I've already got it if you read my first post thoroughly
----------retired-------
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 03:02   #23
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Please if you find out how you do get rid of that fking annoying thing please tell me i tried to get it off three pcs with no sucsess
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 12:15   #24
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried spybot search and destroy and ad-aware? Also if it comes to windows not allowing you to delete a file, try deleting it in safe mode. Task manager is important btw, you seemed to have it selected.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 17:44   #25
Androme
☆ ♥ 

again another person not to read what I've put