User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 15:26   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
GFX Card Project... help

I remember seeing 'somewhere' of an article+guide of how a person took an old h/s/f from an old CPU and soldered it to his GFX card to give amazing overclocking results - however I am unable to find this article - google found of a similar thing on hardocp but it only links to the news page and has seen gone into an archive which I keep on missing

Any pointers would be handy I finally found out that the catalyst drivers past 3.4 don't allow overclocking (I thought there was a bug with my card heh...) - anyway, rather than go out there and buy a Zalman VGA cooling jobby for £30, I already have the h/s/f from my old P4 1.8ghz which I was selling but didn't find any buyers, so I'm looking to remove my old shoddy h/s/f from my radeon9600 NON-pro and add this to do some serious oc'in

Thanks
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 16:56   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: GFX Card Project... help

you don't solder it on, you have to use thermal glue or if the heatsink is heavy you need to use the holes around the GPU/VPU

and yes, you'd probably have to drill the heatsink to make some holes to fit.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 00:19   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

At the end of the day, any amount of o/c is not going to turn a cut-price card into a next-gen DX9 super performer.

Exactly what gains are you looking to see?

Sure if you can push the RAMDAC up then you'll get a few more FPS out of it at higher resolutions (high res = lots of pixels = lots of memory transfer = bottleneck at the RAMDAC) and if you can boost the "gpu" or whatever ATI are calling the graphics processor on their cards then you might see a few more texels a second (although gpu boosting provides much less of a gain than memory).
However, when all's said and done while that card is DX9 compliant, it has a very weak processor compared to other DX9 cards. If you're expecting to see major points in 3DMark 2003, I'm afraid you're likely to be disappointed.
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 17:29   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

o/c'in a radeon9600 pro to its max sees a 1000+ increase I've seen, and since a non-pro is slightly slower, I should be able to see similar results at the end of this - mine performs at 9.1k - I'm aiming for 10k (out of box settings on 3dmark2001)
----------retired-------
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 22:55   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

you can increase your score by OCing the cpu aswell
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 17:37   #6
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I did a burn-in and my cpu is o/c'ed at 3.4GHz stable atm (from 2.8GHz - C series) and temps are still under 40*C according to BIOS since I have a large desk fan running on setting 1 (slow) - on setting 3 (loud) I can achieve stable o/c of 3.6GHz - after that and it's unstable, sometimes doesn't boot and 3dmark always crashes
----------retired-------
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 22:11   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

lol, if you're using such a fast cpu and you're getting that low score I think your machine has some performance issues. Since my machine is quite inferior (although the 3D card is about the same in DX8 benches)

Can you post some scores?

Stock

OCed
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 17:58   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Stock: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7008727

OC'ed: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7121027