User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Nov 2004, 06:04   #1
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Classical Music

Just recently, I've listened to more and more and more classical music, it probably stems from the fact I'm getting old, nearing fatherhood and, basically, sometimes, you can't beat Ave Maria sung by a German songbird.

I dunno about you, but the scene from Shawshank with the opera played over the intercom either makes me cry like a wee baby, or brings out goosebumps the like of which a diehard shirtless Celtic fan would be proud of on a cold home game in January.

So, just out of interest, what floats your boat when it comes to classical?

I could name a load, but I'd need to hear them to know I liked them. I know there aree some anthems I sang when I was a choirboy (HELLO DACE) that will still make me fill up even now, but I just wonder if anyone else actually listens to the emotion, as opposed to the 'I listened to Pavarotti last night, I'm a classics lover man'

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 08:21   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Classical Music

I'm afraid I'm a bit mainstream when it comes to classical music.
I quite like Elgar's Nimrod (the 9th of the Enigma Variations) for example.

Don't listen to much classical though.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 09:21   #3
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone remember that scene from Battle Royale at the end when the teacher shows the painting? Bach - Air For G String.

Other favourites-
Beethoven - 7th Symphony
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 10:18   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

hehehe, G String...
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 10:49   #5
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

adagio on the g string from samuel barber

or something like that in my playlist at least

from the movie platoon
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 10:51   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

anything by rachmaninov
especially rhapsody on a theme of paganini, which you will almost certainly of heard as i believe that it is one of the more commonly used pieces of his music
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 10:57   #7
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
adagio on the g string from samuel barber

or something like that in my playlist at least

from the movie platoon
it's just called adagio for strings, or there is a choral arrangement which is, imho, better called Agnus Dei.
I really like classical music, but mainly the dramatic scores that get put on films...or are composed for films.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 11:49   #8
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I know there aree some anthems I sang when I was a choirboy (HELLO DACE) that will still make me fill up even now,
What anthems existed that far back pre-renaissance?
[/predictable]

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 12:47   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i seem to remember that the last time that i asked this question (which was a goodly long time ago, well over a year) that JJ was the one to ask, he game me some damn fine reccomendations
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 12:48   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i'm fond of Wagner.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 13:06   #11
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light

I myself am quite fond of Sheherezade by Rimsky-Korsakov and 'pictures at an exhibition' by Mussorgsky.
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 00:52   #12
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Currently listening to London Philharmonic Orchestra plays Pink Floyd

its a great album
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 01:02   #13
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Beethoven's 5th! Also the 1st is so much played on mobile ringtones etc, it still has one of the most touching themes in the 2nd movement, and 3rd is nice as well. Great piece, really.

Also I like the Christmas Concert by Vivaldi (Concerto Grosso No. 8).

But I found out this might have to do with the fact I played those pieces, so it's fairly biased.
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 05:01   #14
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
Currently listening to London Philharmonic Orchestra plays Pink Floyd

its a great album
sup Symphonics of Pink Floyd buddy?

I also really like Morricone's The Mission and Newman's Any Other Name right now
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 06:33   #15
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does "Sigur Ros" or "Godspeed You! Black Emperor" count as modern classic(s)?
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 10:47   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

nope
dace your a philistine
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 12:44   #17
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Most computer game music that isn't based on a soundtrack of rock bands is usually a rip off of some classical pieces.

p.s. Anything by that wonderful man Walt Disney and his subsidary companies.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 14:38   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Classical Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
i'm fond of Wagner.
So was Hitler.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 15:21   #19
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i still think 'aria di papageno' in the 'flauto magico' by mozart is one of the best classical pieces of music ever.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 19:40   #20
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

johann sebastian bach - air

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 22:07   #21
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough

Un Bel Di or One Fine Day - From Puccinis Opera - Madam Butterfly

It sends Shivers down my back

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 13:05   #22
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Handel's 'The Messiah'.

Cracking.
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 13:10   #23
Burbank
Banned

Burbank is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
the scene from Shawshank with the opera played over the intercom either makes me cry like a wee baby,
your gay

and i prefer rondo alla turka. basicly piano music is my favourite
Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 13:21   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm rather partial to a bit of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata personally.
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 13:37   #25
Burbank
Banned

Burbank is an unknown quantity at this point

aye that sonata does have its good points, but i mostly cannot stand beethovens heavyness. i prefer the lightness of mozart
Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 14:54   #26
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

I like piano quartets/quintets, and some string stuff.
Not so fond of the things where people sing over it all though.
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 18:34   #27
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Classical Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbank
aye that sonata does have its good points, but i mostly cannot stand beethovens heavyness. i prefer the lightness of mozart
You've got a point there, but IMO this lightness gets sort of "boring" after a while. It's ok if you're doing something else though (i.e. revising, whatever).
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 19:02   #28
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I play my own \o/
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 19:29   #29
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light

Not classical music by definition but Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo is a beautiful piece of music. (half symphonic, half flamenco guitar music)