User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Oct 2004, 00:48   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Web developement with Python or PHP?

Had any experience in Python AND PHP web dev?
Si oui, décrivez vos expériences ici s'il vous plaît.
What dyareckon I should use?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 09:01   #2
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Web developement with Python or PHP?

PHP is nice and powerful (although if your doing some seriously intensive stuff you might want to go for a compiled language and access it through GCI) i have done an extensive amount of work through PHP and never found a situation where it is insufficient for most web solutions. Plus it's nice and easy to learn...

Having said that my experience with Python is limited so perhaps i don't give the best opinion!
Unread 20 Oct 2004, 21:56   #3
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light

I've done a bit of PHP coding, used if for a few medium-sized projects, and tbh... never again.

I haven't actually used Python for a web-project yet, but it's my language of choice for most other things, and I've been itching to try out Quixote for ages now... just haven't had the time.

IMHO, PHP is a tool that gets the job done, but for me it's a pain to work with. Python on the other hand, is a joy to work with, but putting it on a server and having a website up and running will probably take you longer, simply because there isn't anything as "simple" as mod_php.
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2004, 17:56   #4
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

perl nazi present
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 10:30   #5
death2all

death2all is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a language to use for the actual pages you see in a website, php would be an excellent choice.
First it is a language that is updated really often(at point it was updated twice in a week) so you don't have to worry about security problems with the language it self.
Second alot of code is floating around the web for it(and I mean ALOT).
Third database functions could not get any easier than this. All the databases that are supported(sqllite, mysql, mssql, ...) use nearly identical functions so its relativelly painless to switch between them.
Fourth, programs written with php are really fast, rivalling the speed of perl in some points.
Fifth it is an extremelly easy language to learn(based on c, looks like java, power of perl).
Finally there isn't anything you shouldn't be able to build using only php and a mysql database(I have already build using just that a web-game based on pa and an eshop based on amazon both of which have exactly the same functionality as the sites I based them on)
death2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2004, 19:40   #6
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

Epcylon what did you find hard to work with in PHP ? I'm thinking of learning perl/python and would like to know benefits and compromises.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 21:26   #7
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light

Hard to pin-point exactly, but I think it's the rather unstructured approach to developing the language. OO is implemented in an ad-hoc kind of way, various parts of the language just doesn't "flow" like I wanted it to.

In python, I can most of the time just guess at how you do a thing, while in PHP it's almost always neccessary to look up parts of the syntax.

Been a while since I used PHP now, and denial is a powerful thing..

Eric Raymond has written a good article on Python: Why Python?
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote