User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:35   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
EMP being used as a car control weapon in the UK.

Anyone here read about a news story in the Guardian and/or BBC recently regarding the police considering deploying the use of EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) devices in their patrol cars; a car control mechanism to stop get-a-ways.

I raise the following points about its practial deployment:

1)Its use in urban areas; surely EMP will also fry peoples computers and Hi Fi systems etc in nearby houses.
2)What happens if anyone gets zapped accidently when they have a pacemaker fitted?
3)What if the crooks in the get-a-way car have some sort of reflector fitted, and bounce the pulse back to the pursuing cop car?
4)Some modern cars have fibre-optics fitted. EMP not so effective here.
5)Most cars are abit like Faraday cages, and have robust electronics.
6)What if such devices fall into the wrong hands?

Your thoughts on this eh?

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:43   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: EMP being used as a car control weapon in the UK.

It's silly idea.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:53   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Anyone here read about a news story in the Guardian and/or BBC recently regarding the police considering deploying the use of EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) devices in their patrol cars; a car control mechanism to stop get-a-ways.

1)Its use in urban areas; surely EMP will also fry peoples computers and Hi Fi systems etc in nearby houses.
2)What happens if anyone gets zapped accidently when they have a pacemaker fitted?
3)What if the crooks in the get-a-way car have some sort of reflector fitted, and bounce the pulse back to the pursuing cop car?

Your thoughts on this eh?
its not emp in the goldeneye sense
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:57   #4
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Wouldn't it be simpler to fit something to cars when they're produced which allows the police to specifically shut the electronics of the car in question?
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:01   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
its not emp in the goldeneye sense
There is no science but james bond science.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:11   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: EMP being used as a car control weapon in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt

Presumably they'd be using radio frequency pulses instead of actual electromagnetic pulses. RF can be guided whereas EMP cannot.
Quote:
That's the beauty of the system--there's no trace. 'Gee, he just keeled over.'
Quote:
Call in an air strike.
Quote:
Presumably car manufacturers will cooperate with Police in producing vehicles that are especially succeptable to such RF pulses.
Quote:
"If EMP weapons are outlawed; only outlaws will have EMP weapons."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
Wouldn't it be simpler to fit something to cars when they're produced which allows the police to specifically shut the electronics of the car in question?
Hush.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:44   #7
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

so basically, they freeze the car, so the police can fire first?

PS: kill me
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:29   #8
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I had this idea ages ago. I should have written in.

Maybe it'll be like the EMP guns in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

I figured they're just stick a thing on the bumper, but the British police are so poor they don't want to wreck their cars trying to emp a runaway car when he'll most likely crash anyway. For the US police it'd probably be viable because they love smashing their cars up and they actually have some cash to flash unlike our underpaid and under-funded excuse of a police force.

no biase.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:35   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: EMP being used as a car control weapon in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
Think about it, John. "1337 haxors" (as they like to be known) would eventually be able to get hold of the triggers for these cars and wreak hilarious havoc on Britain's roads.

Not good...
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:55   #10
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In the US, there's a widely used system that's fitted to cars that are bought with a loan.

Basically, don't pay the monthly payment, and your car gets shut down until you do. I'm sure the police have access to the codes if they need them, so there's your EMP machine right there...

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 23:01   #11
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
In the US, there's a widely used system that's fitted to cars that are bought with a loan.

Basically, don't pay the monthly payment, and your car gets shut down until you do. I'm sure the police have access to the codes if they need them, so there's your EMP machine right there...
I think you're confusing kill switch alarms for the repo-man.

I've heard talk of this system, but I've never actually seen it in action. I do recall a fair bit of "big brother" outcry over it though.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 23:54   #12
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

if they can find a plausable, non-permenant damage occuring way of doing it then i think it would be a good idea. a bit like using the old stinger, only without having to wreck your tyres. You'd want it to only temporaraly fry your car though, otherwise what use would it be when/if you got your car back (assuming it had been stolen in the first place, i'm assuming that most car chases are due to the police chasing car thieves)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 00:13   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Viper is so 1994.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 18:21   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

In space, they already use this system. If someone nicks off with your Dreadnaught, you just send a few Black-widows after him and he'll be stopped in no time.

I'll get my coat.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 22:22   #15
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Soon the world will turn into Planetarion (r3 preferably).

For Serious.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 22:28   #16
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

the swiss army are actually developing something like this that can temp. stop cars and people dead in their tracks, but they're ok again after! true story.