User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:01   #1
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road
BOTs

Should they be allowed?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason for disallowing bot's is that it would be unfair to those that couldn't make one.

So what if we created a BOT and posted it on the PA site for everyone to download. If we did this we could also get rid of the bot checker question everyone loves so much...

Just a thought
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:08   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: BOTs

no.
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:21   #3
-TPM-

And your reasoning is...
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:47   #4
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

hm... so basically oyu dont wanna play PA. just let that bot run your stuff and get higher numbers. whats the point ?

no
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:54   #5
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
hm... so basically oyu dont wanna play PA. just let that bot run your stuff and get higher numbers. whats the point ?

no
lol that's a bit over the top isn't it. I definatly see a use for bot's. Maybe then some of us could actually get some sleep.
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 19:58   #6
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I think Bots have a place, in IRC, but not for the game itself.
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 20:26   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TPM-
lol that's a bit over the top isn't it. I definatly see a use for bot's. Maybe then some of us could actually get some sleep.
Would it not be better to design the game so that people can sleep and remove the "need" for bots

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 20:40   #8
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Would it not be better to design the game so that people can sleep and remove the "need" for bots
Well maybe, but it would have to be a one size fits all solution then. Know how picky some of the people are that might be hard...

I definatly think an auto alliance notice of incomming would be top on the list though.
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:17   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well maybe, but it would have to be a one size fits all solution then. Know how picky some of the people are that might be hard...

I definatly think an auto alliance notice of incomming would be top on the list though.
it would be one solution fits the defined target market though - the problem with most things pa related at the moment is that it tries to cater for everything

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:50   #10
-TPM-

LOL yeah you know what they say - you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Hmm how about this;
Instead of allowing people total bot access, we have a web service that you can do set things through (check for incoming etc). That’d allow for customization and flexibility, with out the possibility for abuse (well hopefully ).
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:06   #11
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

So IRC activity would fall further yet alliances would get more and more incoming being reported as every incoming would be reported. To me that doesnt seem an overly smart things to do
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:14   #12
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
So IRC activity would fall further yet alliances would get more and more incoming being reported as every incoming would be reported. To me that doesnt seem an overly smart things to do
The only fall in IRC activity I can see from this would be those that only go on to report their incomming. Which if that's all they do, doesn't make much difference now does it.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 01:57   #13
Ziw
cute and fluffy

Ziw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the rough

Bot's would ruin pa
The game is played by, the one that's most only get's the most done, and it requieres so mucht activity, wich might be the couse the extremly lack of sleep we have ;p
But yet again, the game would be ruined if you could take time of it, wich really is the charm of pa. It requieres time, and if you can't give it, your done
Wich also is the reason why pepole are leaving this game, they simply don't got the needed time to play pa hardcore, so the reason must be to recode pa to something a litle less time consuming else pa will die as a game.
So, go Kal
[23:19:48] <wish> Thats gay. I like it
Ziw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 15:21   #14
-TPM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziw
Bot's would ruin pa
The game is played by, the one that's most only get's the most done, and it requieres so mucht activity, wich might be the couse the extremly lack of sleep we have ;p
But yet again, the game would be ruined if you could take time of it, wich really is the charm of pa. It requieres time, and if you can't give it, your done
Wich also is the reason why pepole are leaving this game, they simply don't got the needed time to play pa hardcore, so the reason must be to recode pa to something a litle less time consuming else pa will die as a game.
So, go Kal
I can see unrestricted bot's could get out of hand, but what about if it where controlled as I suggested a couple of posts up? (#10) Yeah PA requires time, but everyone’s gotta sleep sometime.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 15:33   #15
-TPM-

LOL thanks for the - rep (looks at Mighteh). I don't think I said anything that deserved that, in fact if anyone does it's those that just say 'no' end of discussion...
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 15:37   #16
Shiprex

Shiprex is an unknown quantity at this point

Some sort of auto report for alliances would be of use then the HC in the alliance can actually take responsibility and make decisions on priorities rather than just defending their mates and not the whole alliance.

Also what about some HC having extra fleets for def only within the alliance? People could actually donate ships to the alliance rather than resources. Each HC could have alliance Corp fleet that don’t sit at their planet but on standby from somewhere else (home planet (?) with external control maybe give planets another non deployable fleet). These ships could be used as Alliance cavalry. At least 2 HC are needed to commit these 'crack' alliance Corp to a mission. One HC to allocate and another to ratify/confirm. Makes for good teamwork and commitment.

Shiprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 19:18   #17
Ziw
cute and fluffy

Ziw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the rough

A restricted bot would simply ruin the game for the dedicated players.
It woun't be as atractive to be online 24/7, wich kinda is the essens of this game, or have become it
[23:19:48] <wish> Thats gay. I like it
Ziw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 19:49   #18
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

It would ruin the game for everyone because nobody would be playing planetarion anymore, they would be playing 'bot commander'.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 21:06   #19
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

I think this discussion has happend over and over again. I would like bot planets, but not bots for players planets. Main reason why i would like bot planets ran by bots alone, becuase it would probably make the round less boring with more planets in it. But this isnt the thread for that.

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Willzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 10:40   #20
add100
add

add100 has a spectacular aura aboutadd100 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Re: BOTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzzz
I think this discussion has happend over and over again. I would like bot planets, but not bots for players planets. Main reason why i would like bot planets ran by bots alone, becuase it would probably make the round less boring with more planets in it. But this isnt the thread for that.
but wold bot planets make pa less fun
add100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2006, 18:26   #21
PWG
Top100

PWG is an unknown quantity at this point

bots are crap for online browser games!

if you wanna have sleep, ask for a "6h sleeping button" which you can activate once in 23 - 24h...
R13 - R14.1 FC
R14.2 - R17 ND
:crymeariver: R18 - Escape
R19 - only havoc
:crymeariver: R20.1 - pMonkeys
R20.2 - R30 ND
R31.1 ToF
31.2 - 32 ND

BC // DC // Scanner
--------------------------------------------------
R.I.P. 30.Okt.06: h3ll - he died for ND!
PWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 14:13   #22
Shiprex

Shiprex is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWG
if you wanna have sleep, ask for a "6h sleeping button" which you can activate once in 23 - 24h...
That would be nice but what if you are under attack before hitting the button or fleets arent home? Can you still go into sleep mode? Suppose it could work in that fleets cant be launched yet can still return and incomming fleets at the moment of sleep induction can land but that is all. All plant related acivity ceases and resources are frozen.
This may encourage the mostactive to attack the other most active ones on a more regular basis rather than always pick a half size planet to squash.
Good idea

Shiprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2006, 19:09   #23
murder

murder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to all

What about AI planets and alliances?

A small alliance of 20 AI planets that choose gal attacks according to there own calaculations. It could have access to the complete database so they would be very hard to attack.
Unread 16 Jul 2006, 00:59   #24
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

hmm sleep button. the new way to stop incomming during the peak periods....

Sorry but all of this thread is bad ideas. Allowing bots means you are no longer playing, no bot planet could have an AI grate enough to play without either becoming farms - fortresses which noone can attack or a pain in the neck when they launch at you. Furthermore nearly everything in this thread has been discussed before. Please use the search function to dig out those old threads.

Sorry there was 1 good thing, Kal is right that PA caters to everyone badly by trying to be everything

Quote:
LOL thanks for the - rep (looks at Mighteh). I don't think I said anything that deserved that, in fact if anyone does it's those that just say 'no' end of discussion...
Feel ashamed who neg rep'ed. It may be a rubbish idea but everyone should be encouraged to bring these things up and suggest them. Closing people down in this manor is wrong
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote