User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Sep 2003, 14:24   #1
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Too Long Tech Tree

Oh yes it is too long.

How about "blessing" us with hyper effecient researchers, so we can get down to playing the game ?
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 14:33   #2
Castigated

Castigated is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Too Long Tech Tree

Quote:
Originally posted by Kåre Willoch
How about "blessing" us with hyper effecient researchers, so we can get down to playing the game ?
How about stopping the whining and rather spend your energy trying to decide which of the branches you want to choose? It's been this way before; one has to choose one branch and more or less abandon another (stealth/scans, for instance).
"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Castigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 16:18   #3
Rudmer
Former Eclipse HC

Rudmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Too Long Tech Tree

Quote:
Originally posted by Castigated
How about stopping the whining and rather spend your energy trying to decide which of the branches you want to choose? It's been this way before; one has to choose one branch and more or less abandon another (stealth/scans, for instance).
after clicking every tick a few times to do all necessary stuff, I still have 58 minutes left to wait, whine and wait some more..

let's shorten tech trees,
go to 1 minute ticks
play on a lan
and play 36 hours non stop..

oh wait... am I talking about speedgames again?

(ffs creators, I am still aiting on replies in that thread)

r4 n00b r5 still a n00b (APC-Silver)
r6 PINK[BULL] (Silver-Elysium)
r7 BLACK[BULL] (Elysium)
r8 [Adelante] -> [Fury]
r9 [Eclipse] Officer
Speedgames --> |R6B| says enough...
r9.5 and r10 [Eclipse] HC
r10.5 [MISTU]
Rudmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 16:20   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The game started saturday. It is now tuesday.

In 4 days, everyone has gotten to the 200-roid mark and people are starting to build ships - I don't see how the tech tree has in any way slowed the pace as opposed to previous rounds where you'd still be scanning at this point.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 16:44   #5
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
It will take a long time to get everything, but thats part of the strategy...do I want ships or travel time, covert ops or mines etc?

Its actually possible to get all available ships in under 3 days I think (not positive tho), hardly a long time, just means you have to choose to neglect other things.

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 10:52   #6
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, but what is it people choose to do ? They do what's profitable = scan up to 300 roids... How fun is this ?

In fact the researching for more roids will be done A LOT OF THE TIME in the round. = BORING.

AND, saying it's been like this before isn't exactly an argument now is it ? It could be it was boring before as well...

By the way, the fact that you have to choose between all kinds of branches, is the reason why multis get the big advantage as usual. Scanplanets (legal and illegal) are a bad part of the game.
Good alliances will have scanners, and this gives them a further advantage over the few random players left in the game. I do think scanning should be free, or not there at all :P

End of whining...
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 11:27   #7
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
In fact the researching for more roids will be done A LOT OF THE TIME in the round.
I've seen this sort of comment over and over again in the beta, because people are not thinking of the implications of the new features.

Like eveything in PaX, this was put in for a reason.

The reason in this case is twofold. Firstly, to give small active players (and people who are heavily roided) an advantage in research. The bigger players are held back by the need to keep working on heavy cargo, while small players that are not affected by the limits are able to gain a technological advantage researching the other branches

Secondly, it reinforces the need to go for score not value. By capping everyone at 6k roids, players reaching that level must gain score by combat, not by capping, they HAVE to fight amongst themselves if they do not want to be passed in the rankings by people going for score not size.

When looked at in that way, I hope you'll see it's a big step towards getting rid of 2 of old-pa's biggest problems, bashing and end of rounds stagnation.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 11:39   #8
Tin-Tin
An ok dude

Tin-Tin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, didn't know that Andy
That's a good thing indeed, in my opinion that is..
r3 --> 54:15:2 (TGS,YHQ) (n00b)
r4 --> 30:14:11(TGS,YHQ) (Smurf)
r5 --> 20:6:12 (TGS,YHQ)
r6 --> 35:1:2 (NewDawn) (F&F)
r7 --> 21:10:14 (NewDawn)
r8 --> 48:9:10 (Elysium)
r9 --> 1:3:9 (Elysium)
r9,5 --> x:x:x (?)
Tin-Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 09:51   #9
masochist

masochist is an unknown quantity at this point
don't cry the game will perhaps start after tick 1000. the problem is: game end @tick 1200
0 pods; I never attack.
masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 10:39   #10
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes, but what is it people choose to do ? They do what's profitable = scan up to 300 roids... How fun is this ?
Surpringingly you don't consider the other option then. Make it less profitable to scan so long !!! Upping the price of initiation per roid with 350, 400 or even with 500 in stead of the current 250 would get simular results and keep the tech tree nicely intact.

A long research tree that cannot be finished completly is fine with me. People need to make choices. Lets just see how that works out.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 16:36   #11
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough
heh, if u arround ur 250th roid in total (all 1:1:1 or arround that)

it would take app 2 weeks be4 that single roid paid back... so initting till after 200 aint that good, and if u started 2 build ships where other ppl where still initing roids, u can roid em (yes even with fighters)
derry is offline   Reply With Quote