User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Dec 2002, 08:39   #1
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
Some thoughtful comments (dont read without seeing TT)

If you haevnt seen it and you read this anyways, it doesnt matter so much.

My thoughts after LOTR 2 were, it was good, not brilliant, couldve been better imo, but thats just me and who cares .

Gollum, was obviously Jar Jar Binks after a sevre cocaine addiction.

One of the warriors (the one who aragorn and co. meet and he takes their weapons) was on New Zealands most popular TV soap, and he played a wussy cafe owner who was nicknamed "the muffin man"

I worried a lot about Gandalf, it would be impossible to get mud and blood stains out of that outfit. How, oh how, does he keep his whites so white.

I would also like to see Frodo and Sam come out of the closet in the last one, because they arent fooling anyone.

Thats my thoughts, and i needed to share, thank you.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 09:26   #2
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
I was a little annoyed by the amount of crap they added to the Arwen character/her storyline.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 16:08   #3
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
My only problems with the film were:

1) Gollum looking into the camera during his Two-Face routine. Gollum would have been 10x better if he wasn't a comedy character.

2) ****ing about with plot regarding Faramir for no good reason.

3) The ****ing ridiculous plan to help barricade the door, where Aragorn and Gimli threw themselves at hundreds of orcs and managed to not only stay standing, but fight them off. If they can do that, what's the point in barricading the door at all?

4) The magical disappearing crossbows that completely vanished from the orcs hands as soon as the named protagonists join the battle.

5) The elven captain being such a pussy and dying so easily. How noble.

6) "Ring Wraith Paralysis" - a rare condition that afflicts the lower arm and hands of ring wraiths, whereby they can't-quite-reach-the-ring when its 2 feet in front of their noses

7) Too much comedy in general, particularly around Gollum and Gimli.
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 18:13   #4
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Taratang
7) Too much comedy in general, particularly around Gollum and Gimli.
Whilst I agree with the rest of what you posted Taratang, I disagree with that which I have quoted above. The comedy moments had me (and the rest of the cinema last night) in fit's of laughter. I thought they were quite well done.
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 18:21   #5
Taratang

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Whilst I agree with the rest of what you posted Taratang, I disagree with that which I have quoted above. The comedy moments had me (and the rest of the cinema last night) in fit's of laughter. I thought they were quite well done.
Sure, I laughed too, but immediately afterwards I thought, what the **** is slapstick doing in this film?
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 18:51   #6
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Taratang
My only problems with the film were:

1) Gollum looking into the camera during his Two-Face routine. Gollum would have been 10x better if he wasn't a comedy character.
he wasn't "looking into the camera." Jackson was using camera angles to enhance the split-personality effect. He was usually looking just to the left or right of the camera as if talking to someone standing in front of him, and considering that in the books, gollum was quite insane and arguing with himself constantly, did it ever occur to you that tolkein intended him to be slightly funny?

There was humor all through the books themselves, but purists appear to beleive that if they didn't find it funny, no one else should.
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 19:14   #7
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
1) The humour is good. How dull would it be if there was 3 hours and not one grin ?

2) yes frodo and sam clearly are

3) the elvish captain was rubbish. In the first film too. he too definitely is.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 21:08   #8
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
i liked the bit when they are locked in the room,and they want to give up,then they dont horses magically appear and 9 of them cut a huge swathe through the army.
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 21:27   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by clarencetheclockworkcake
i liked the bit when they are locked in the room,and they want to give up,then they dont horses magically appear and 9 of them cut a huge swathe through the army.
Ah yes, the part where they don't forcefully explain that the room was the front of the cave where they were keeping the women, children, horses, and livestock... :eek:
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 21:58   #10
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
or just the women and children.
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 22:32   #11
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Just my own few thoughts - firstly comedy:

Gimli I think is a perfect comedy character, especially the 'banter' between him and legolas, it was like that in the book and it's great on film.

It certainly worked making gollum slightly humorous, I think it could have been better without though - the internal struggle of gollum is a great (and certainly a significant ) part of the story. There were bits with gollum, especially near the end, where it was trying to be serious but i could see my friends just smiling at him, he'd already been made into a comedy character by then.

The orcs etc on that bridge - good god what a mess first of all they walk slowly with shields covering EVERYWHERE.......except of course the side facing the Elven archers. They also seemed to fall off that bridge suprisingly easily - the 2 occasions of note being:

1) when gimli and aragorn leap across, knocking about 12 of them off the farily wide bridge

2) when they broke through with the horses.....when you saw it from above, the actors made kind of a half hearted swing of their sword here and there, and the orcs fell like skittles all around.

NEVERTHELESS

I did thoroughly enjoy the film despite a few minor criticisms

and I think sam bats for the other team, and frodo hasn't realised it
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 22:40   #12
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
The last one didn't have enough action in it.

I didn't really care for teh story, I just wanted to see people hit orcs with big swords and stuff.

TT looks much better from the trailers I've seen. I shall have to go and see it soon.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 23:46   #13
Taratang

Quote:
Originally posted by Geeza
2) when they broke through with the horses.....when you saw it from above, the actors made kind of a half hearted swing of their sword here and there, and the orcs fell like skittles all around.
This was one of the few examples of poor CG in the film. Made even more ridiculous by the sudden lack of crossbows held by the enemy that were so effective against anonymous elven archers earlier.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 07:54   #14
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
i was ****ing pissed off with it to be quite honest. They made the faramir character utterly pointless with all that pissing about- and the reason? **** knows they could have put in some more of the film that they probably cut.

They gave the ents a 5 minute role -heh-

Decide to banish eomer (early)

They turned Gimli into Jar Pot ****ing binx.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 09:09   #15
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
My biggest disappointment (considering I haven't read the book yett) was Eowyn, the movie buildt her up as the great female hero, then never used her! I hope she gets to fight some in the next movie.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:36   #16
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by W
My biggest disappointment (considering I haven't read the book yett) was Eowyn, the movie buildt her up as the great female hero, then never used her! I hope she gets to fight some in the next movie.
I hope you have no plans to read it either I read it after the first film, and i find it ruins the movies, you can't help but compare to the book.....and that spoils the whole experience.

Thats my advice to anyone who hasn't read the book but is thinking about it - if you are enjoying the films so far, have patience and wait to watch the last one before you pick up that book.

For evidence of this, take a look around at all the people saying stuff like:

"It made me fkin mad to see they missed out This, and included That...and they ruined this character, and etc etc"
---
Zak
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:39   #17
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Gollum was portrayed very well, infact I think this is one of greatest acheivements of this film.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:53   #18
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by inf
Gollum was portrayed very well, infact I think this is one of greatest acheivements of this film.
I think what they did worked and was pretty good I just wish everyone in the cinema hadn't laughed at him whenever he started having his internal debate.
---
Zak
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 14:37   #19
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
While some things that have been pointed out on reflection I think that is a bit stupid there were few things that did annoy me while actually watching the film in the cinema though they didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film which i still though was brilliant. Though some of the more annoying to me were:

The changing of Faramir's personality causing him to drag Frodo to Osgiliath.

The Ents deciding not to go to war after their meeting.

When King Theoden and Aragorn charged out on their horses and all the orcs just jumped off the bridge despite minimal attacks from the riders. While the horses may have knocked some off who could have knocked others off due to their close proximity there was no need for every orc on the arch to go flying over the edge.

The omission of the ents from the Battle of Helm's Deep. While they weren't directly involved in the battle that was one of the scenes I was looking forward to, the area covered by a forest who would slowly kill all the orcs as they retreated as Erkendrand appeared with Gandalf rather than the late appearance of Eomer as the film showed.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2002, 00:19   #20
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Geeza
I hope you have no plans to read it either I read it after the first film, and i find it ruins the movies, you can't help but compare to the book.....and that spoils the whole experience.

Thats my advice to anyone who hasn't read the book but is thinking about it - if you are enjoying the films so far, have patience and wait to watch the last one before you pick up that book.

For evidence of this, take a look around at all the people saying stuff like:

"It made me fkin mad to see they missed out This, and included That...and they ruined this character, and etc etc"
I realized this as soon as I heard there would be a film (or films), and desided to read the book after seeing all the movie(s).

Not to say that I haven't gotten most of the story trough osmosis, due to extensive MUDing and other gaming. Just not enough to spoil the movies.