User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Oct 2005, 14:20   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Does the Modern Day Newspaper have any place in Society

Television / The Internet provides up to the minute news from a variety of sources, on site , for almost every conceivable occurrence to which the average individual may have some form of interest. Newspapers report yesterdays news, frequently with a bias based on the ownership / editorship of the paper. The journalistic standards are next to non-existent, and the majority of stories highly spun half truths.

Those working for more up market tabloids are, for the most part, simply attempting to make a name for themselves with overtly egotistical columns in which they work themselves towards a book deal in the hope they can get out of the current job, or perhaps get themselves a slot on a BBC4 debating show.

I buy them once a week for a free DVD. The paper itself is usually disposed of shortly afterwards.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 14:25   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Does the Modern Day Newspaper have any place in Society

I was told some countries use them to serve the masses their chips on.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 14:48   #3
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice

Newspapers are about power and influence more than profit. I would say that they are more powerful and important than ever. It isn't the internet or question time that outlines the public agenda.

The tabloids are now comment and gossip rather than any pretence at news any longer. The comment is actually extremely persuasive - newspapers reach a far greater spectrum of the population that the simple number of sales.

The old broadsheets do a fantastic job of investigative reporting, which is often better than most government agencies and leads to prosecutions. I hope to god that doesn't deteriorate.

I use mine to line the rabbit hutch.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 14:50   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
I buy them once a week for a free DVD. The paper itself is usually disposed of shortly afterwards.
Kura, The Star/Mirror/Sun aren't Newspapers.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 14:58   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Convenience. You cant watch the news on the tube/bus or while having a shit. In any case, the sort of news you read about in papers is different from that covered on TV; theres a lot more special interest stories/celebrity gossip etc, as well as editorials and opinion pieces.

Imo the real threat to newspapers isnt the TV, but the internet (blogs in particular). But again, newspapers are more convenient to read.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 15:18   #6
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

i probably wouldnt buy a newspaper if the shop round the corner didnt sell the independent, guardian and telegraph for 20p. i do like them tho for reading on the bus to uni, and for the sports and tv sections. oh and i like the media pull out you get in the independent on a monday. but yeah, mostly when i get a newspaper i dont read a lot of the stories as ive already read them online.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 17:26   #7
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

They're cheaper than a can of coke and are nice and convienient. As long as they stay that way ill continue to buy them.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 18:01   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nod's already made the point, but you can't read the news on the toilet or a bus without a newspaper.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 18:02   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I would imagine there will still be a market for quality newspapers (Im not saying they won't have problems, but that some of them will survive), I would be more afraid if I worked in a tabloid like The Sun.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 18:03   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I find I read newspapers on the train when I'm going somewhere and not bringing a bag with me. If I'm bringing a bag I'll just read whatever book I'm in the middle of at that particular point in time.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 18:09   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I would imagine there will still be a market for quality newspapers (Im not saying they won't have problems, but that some of them will survive), I would be more afraid if I worked in a tabloid like The Sun.
I'd have thought it'd be the other way around.

Working class people are the Sun's main target audience. The people who are less likely to have the internet at home or work.

Newspapers such as the Times or the Telegraph are read (mostly) by professionals, who usually have the internet at home and work, so can read the articles there.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 20:50   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I'd have thought it'd be the other way around.

Working class people are the Sun's main target audience. The people who are less likely to have the internet at home or work.

Newspapers such as the Times or the Telegraph are read (mostly) by professionals, who usually have the internet at home and work, so can read the articles there.
It's a good argument, but I think the people who reads The Sun will also have internet sooner or later. The two main tabloids in Norway have had a decline the last year, much so becouse they only write sh*t about unimportant sh*t. Why buy the newsie, when you can read the same stuff for free on the internet? And you are not willing to pay on the net for reading about Brad Pitts love affair with someone, specially since you can find it on loads of sites. A newspaper like Guardian have some quality content, and if its only written in the newsie or on the web with pay per view or a monthly fee, I think that there is atleast some people who's willing to pay for it.

Britain with it's 60million people should be big enough market for several quality newspapers. Im more afraid for smaller countries. Altrough Norway seems to do rather well, but I assume it has something to do with goverment subsidies for smaller newspapers and norwegians beeing probably the worlds most keen newsie readers.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 21:26   #13
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Kura, The Star/Mirror/Sun aren't Newspapers.
The man clearly knows what hes talking about. The Star and the Sun arent Sunday papers and dont give away DVD's (just crap compilation CD's of songs nobody really listens to). That reference is for the Mail on Sunday / Sunday Times / Sunday Telegraph.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 21:46   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
The man clearly knows what hes talking about. The Star and the Sun arent Sunday papers and dont give away DVD's (just crap compilation CD's of songs nobody really listens to). That reference is for the Mail on Sunday / Sunday Times / Sunday Telegraph.
Sunday papers are all terrible.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 00:18   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Well the issue of convenience has already being mentioned. The other for myself at least is that the local newspaper contains affairs and events from the surrounding community that would never even make it onto the internet.

I also use it for both the TV & Cinema guide, which while I have managed to find sites with listings of both, they're usually not very accurate.
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 05:13   #16
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I subscribe to two newspapers, The Record (formerly the Stockton Record) and the San Francisco Chronicle. It does cover issues of local interest as well as oped pieces that vary without having to jump from web site to web site. Plus, they are more portable and the strain on the eyes is different than looking at a screen.

Additonally there are local ads and reviews and coupons for the store.

Bottom line however is that I am old and they are familiar and comfortable.
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 05:21   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Bottom line however is that I am old and they are familiar and comfortable.
You are so young that it is untrue,

If you agree to fake your own death then i know several widdowed earls that the Lady Joy might like. (The Lady Joy knows as I know that earls are more fun then dukes: even given eddie norfolk and his love of rock music! Earls are more fun!!)
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 05:37   #18
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was going to make some supercilious reply but then thought "Wait this is your 1000th post. Don't waste it on something silly.

Oops...............
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 05:39   #19
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
I was going to make some supercilious reply but then thought "Wait this is your 1000th post. Don't waste it on something silly.

Oops...............
To speak of The Lady Joy?

That is never a waste.
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 10:17   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I read a paper on the train on my way to work since invariably someones left a copy of something on the train. It makes the journey go quicker and doesn't require more involved concentration of a book.

Newspapers are not primarily about selling stories. They're about selling an audience (i.e. their readers) to advertisers who generally constitute their biggest source of income. This is why "free papers" make sense. The biggest threat to newspapers would not just be everyone getting their news online, it'd be advertisers thinking they could spend their marketing budgets better on Google Adwords or something like that.

For now, the newspaper seems safe enough. Readers of the Sun may switch to more direct forms of debasement (Heat magazine for women, Zoo/Nuts for men) but at the moment very little on-line competes with the all encompassing format of a newspaper. Hopefully news aggregators and RSS-type technologies will wipe them out eventually.

I do think the traditional paper format may experience a challenge in the near future if someone finally releases a decent non-crippled ebook reader which is cheap, small and with decent battery life & screen. If such a device reached an iPod level of penetration then some sort of "subscribe to a daily paper for 20p per issue" might be a sustainable enough business model. But that relies on either having wi-fi everywhere (unlikely in most countries for now) or a distributable paper format which they wouldn't fear file-sharing would destroy. If you did have this it seems more likely that you'd be able to get a tailored edition (i.e. less sports if you don't care, more arts if you do). The BBC already produce a daily bulletin that works in this way and Google News/Slashdot are good examples of customisable front pages.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 12:00   #21
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Even with an ebook reader i wouldn't buy enewspapers to read on the move. I like a piece of paper in my hand that i can scan and surrepticiously oogle at boobies whilst pretending to read an article on the civil war in the upper volta or whatever. The little screens on ereaders just give me a headache, and tbh i like the break from vdu screens.

btw this new apple ipod screen, the bbc magazine page has a good article on comparison with the sinclairs of 25 odd years back. I don't think many people want to watch tv on the move, and i had to laugh at apple's ultra thin showcase model. If that is how thin the final release will be, how long will the battery life be?
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 12:38   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
The little screens on ereaders just give me a headache, and tbh i like the break from vdu screens.
These seem to be technical issues though. Apparently there's a few developments occurring in this field (electronic paper or whatever). I've not bothered looking into it but someone was saying that at least one of them only needed battery power to render the page, and then it sort of just sits there until you turn the page. I've no idea of how that works though.

Current screens aren't very good granted - but that seems a temporary situation.

This is not to say there won't be a place for paper - likewise I don't see (many) people binning their CD collections now they have iPods. There will always be a place for the printed word, this will be more of "as well as". I prefer to have electronic articles if only so I can search/quote/forward them so much easier.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2005, 13:20   #23
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Nod's already made the point, but you can't read the news on the toilet or a bus without a newspaper.
I can get news reports and stories (including video clips and sound) on my mobile phone (It`s one of thoses 3G phones). I often use it in the toilet when I`m bored.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2005, 16:02   #24
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

I think the big thing will be when you can fold the e-book/e-reader screen together, just like you fold your newspaper, to save space and to have it with you everywhere without hazzle.
Unread 17 Oct 2005, 22:21   #25
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
we'll wait till you drop it down the toilet and see just how pro-phone you are then

(was it here that someone gave a really elaborate description of how they prevented "splash back" using toilet paper ? if so, maybe poor articles in your newspapers could help serve that use too)
Fear not. I am fully aware of these dangers. Friends of mine in the past have, in this way suffered simillar "phone lossage".

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote