User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Nov 2004, 14:04   #1
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

ulan-bat0r can only hope to improve
dear glasgowers

is there any site, list, where i can find a place to live in glasgow? I must get out of this place and need a new place to live..

google have kinda failed me..

and tips where i should live, and where i def NOT should live...
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 15:12   #2
FooFighter

FooFighter can only hope to improve
Re: dear glasgowers

www.s1homes.co.uk
FooFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:06   #3
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

thats not a realy good one is it? (-:

found a easyroomate.com thingie too, but its tard slow... maybe ill just go there this weekend and try to find something at a agency or whatever..
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:08   #4
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

youll end up sleeping on the street being beaten up by the friendly locals.

also, fyi, its glaswegians, just so you dont looks stupid.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:10   #5
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

nice prediction...

and sorry for any inconvenience caused by my silly error... im a foreigner tho, so im not suposed to know this shit.. :P
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:56   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The West End / Town Centre (ie the nice parts of town) you're looking at about £250/month min.

That's just rent with no bills.

You should probably avoid the East and the South of the city.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:59   #7
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Where are you from and why do you want to move to Glasgow anyways?
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 17:05   #8
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

im from norway and im staying in Greenock atm :P

and because Glasgow is prob better than Greenock?

btw.. im Lise
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 17:11   #9
Dace
so f*cking zen

How much are you paying in rent atm?

Where do you work?

(just trying to figure out if it would even work out cheaper for you to live in Glasgow)
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 17:14   #10
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

it wont work out cheaper.. i work for IBM...

im paying about 240 including taxes right now.. but i realy dont want to live in Greenock anymore, i basicly want to move for social and entertaining reason (=
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 19:31   #11
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you working out at IBM that's on the line that goes from Glasgow to Weymss Bay ? (i.e. not far from inverkip?)

Greenock ****ing blows, However Glasgow ****ing blows with regards to costs. Paisley is uber violent.

You want to live outside Glasgow ideally with a nice commute I expect to a train station so you can get out to IBM right?

My sorry yet pratical advice would be to pick up something in Renfrew in the Deanpark area (there are two Deanparks, you'd be looking at the older non red bricked housing). It's right near Braehead which is excellent shopping without the crowds of Glasgow for your regular stuff, the rent is cheaper, it's not as rough as Greenock, there's 7 million and 1 busses that run into Glasgow Central directly (where all the night-life is and also where the train station is that goes EVERYWHERE) that and a taxi there OR home shouldn't be more than 10 quid. You are also very Close to Paisley which has trains regularly running out to gourock (which covers Greenock) and IBM, it's also right next to the M8 is DeanPark, basically the area behind the deanpark hotel is where teh old and real deanpark is at.

If you do settle for something out of town and not renfrew, or even renfrew anyway, DO NOT look at properties around the town centre, that is suicidal, in fact never look at getting a place that's located within 20 yards or Over some shop, especially a take-away shop.

If you are looking for flats that are in glasgow, look around the area that's near the botanical gardens, some nice places around there though you'd be looking at sharing a place with roomies, in fact it's pretty guranteed you'd be looking at shared accomodation in Glasgow.

Anyway, come back to me with more info, where is the IBM you are working at, does it have a train station, do you commute by train or car, are you looking to commute by car or by train etc etc.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 22:01   #12
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Are you working out at IBM that's on the line that goes from Glasgow to Weymss Bay ? (i.e. not far from inverkip?)

Greenock ****ing blows, However Glasgow ****ing blows with regards to costs. Paisley is uber violent.

You want to live outside Glasgow ideally with a nice commute I expect to a train station so you can get out to IBM right?

My sorry yet pratical advice would be to pick up something in Renfrew in the Deanpark area (there are two Deanparks, you'd be looking at the older non red bricked housing). It's right near Braehead which is excellent shopping without the crowds of Glasgow for your regular stuff, the rent is cheaper, it's not as rough as Greenock, there's 7 million and 1 busses that run into Glasgow Central directly (where all the night-life is and also where the train station is that goes EVERYWHERE) that and a taxi there OR home shouldn't be more than 10 quid. You are also very Close to Paisley which has trains regularly running out to gourock (which covers Greenock) and IBM, it's also right next to the M8 is DeanPark, basically the area behind the deanpark hotel is where teh old and real deanpark is at.

If you do settle for something out of town and not renfrew, or even renfrew anyway, DO NOT look at properties around the town centre, that is suicidal, in fact never look at getting a place that's located within 20 yards or Over some shop, especially a take-away shop.

If you are looking for flats that are in glasgow, look around the area that's near the botanical gardens, some nice places around there though you'd be looking at sharing a place with roomies, in fact it's pretty guranteed you'd be looking at shared accomodation in Glasgow.

Anyway, come back to me with more info, where is the IBM you are working at, does it have a train station, do you commute by train or car, are you looking to commute by car or by train etc etc.
Actually , i dont recommend moving any closer to Glasgow. The closer you get, the more densely populated it is, and the more unpleasant it is to live on that side of the clyde.

My advice? Move further south. Down towards Wemyss Bay and even Largs. Smaller area, less grief, maybe not as much to do, but the lack of regular knife wielding groups of neds balances it out.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 22:19   #13
Sunday8pm
Banned

Roflmao, Kura seriously, Dunno when was the last time you've been down the coast but Largs and Weymss Bay are just as bad as greenock these days, the west coast it pretty much taken over now with amatuer dealers all fighting for patch, you nae heard about Skelmorie?

Seriously steer away from the souwest of scotland as it's heroin junkie heaven.

If you wanna advise him a move to the coast away from glasgow, I'd say no further south than oban.

I've been thru largs and Wemyss bay plenty and it's nowt but trouble, on a par with the east end of glasgow tbh.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 22:28   #14
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Roflmao, Kura seriously, Dunno when was the last time you've been down the coast but Largs and Weymss Bay are just as bad as greenock these days, the west coast it pretty much taken over now with amatuer dealers all fighting for patch, you nae heard about Skelmorie?

Seriously steer away from the souwest of scotland as it's heroin junkie heaven.

If you wanna advise him a move to the coast away from glasgow, I'd say no further south than oban.

I've been thru largs and Wemyss bay plenty and it's nowt but trouble, on a par with the east end of glasgow tbh.
My thinking is that youre recommending him moving down to Renfrew, and thats probably far too far away from his work in Greenock if hes not currently driving.

If he is driving, and can afford it, maybe look to some of the smaller towns in east ayrshire. If not , stick with whats been mentioned in S1Homes earlier, some nice stuff in there, almost tempted me to move back home
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 22:51   #15
Sunday8pm
Banned

He's wanting to have a nightlife in Glasgow, Renfrew is perfectly located for that while being not too far from two main train stations that head out to IBM and Greenock and being slap down right next to the M8 with the Braehead Shopping centre on his doorstop, while possibly avoiding the sky high rents and the pissant landlords that own glasgow.

Anything is a step up from greenock even if it adds an extra half hour commute to your daily job.
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 09:57   #16
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

Hehe... brilliant.

I was thinking of Largs actuall.. its nice, clean and quiet, and i lived there my two first weeks here in Scotland... but yeah.. BORRING!

if im actual gonna survive another 6 months in IBM i need some change and a more pulsating life outside work. There is a trainstation in IBM. So train would be the obvious travel metod. So it has to be a place close to a trainstation within the Glasgow-Gourock/Largs Line... Tho.. there might be a chance that i can lift with someone too...

I feel that i have to mention that Im not moving for life, just for a six month, maybe up to a year... so as long its not junkie heaven, relatively quiet, high roof, and no carpets in the kitchen im fine.. (=

I have been giggling of boredom the last six months.. enough is enough!
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 11:18   #17
Sunday8pm
Banned

Ok seeing as you definately seem to be keen on commuting by train, I highly reccomend Renfrew, in the morning you can grab a bus to Paisley (there's about 1 every 3-4 minutes) which has Paisley Gilmour street station with a train line that runs all the way out to IBM, only 4 platforms as well so not as confusing, talking maybe 20 minutes on the bus tops due to morning traffic then another 30-35 minutes on the train to IBM. Shouldn't cost you more than 6 quid each way, bus into paisley and back again is only 90p ea way or there abouts, get a train pass for frequent train travel and you are laughing, I know a lot of IBM commuters who do this.

Renfrew, especially Deanpark is literally just outside glasgow, you can get busses into glasgow at a frequency of about one every 15-20 minutes up until 11 pm, you are talking a 30 minute bus ride that takes in such sight seeing trips as Govan Town Centre, where only once has the neds tried to slam the bus with a scaffolding pole, and the Sewage Treatment Centre which is just across from the Southern General Hospital. It'll run you right into Glasgow Central, where any pub/club is about 5-10 minute walk tops. Talking about 2 quid bus ride return. At night (2-3 am) when you are pouring out the clubs, try and get a taxi from Clyde Taxi's, they'll run you home for no more than a tenner and have always done gold by me, much cheaper than forking out 15 quid on an overpriced black hackney cab or something else that will charge painful boundary charges. The Taxi ride home is quick an all cause they'll just hop on the M8 which literally goes almost all the way to the doorstep of deanpark, I used to get them to drop me off at the hotel and walk back through the estate from there rather than drag em through the mazy Deanpark estate.

Renfrew is not junkie heaven, it has it's few wannabe ned groups that try and walk some of the crescents but the police will send round van's on patrol if you compain to em. Just stay away from the town centre and likewise any town centre of any place if you are looking for a move, it's guranteed trouble.

Anyway the rent shouldn't be too bad, there are many semi-detached's (2 bedroom flats basically with front and back garden if you are on bottom floor) that are usually up for rent around there, the local estate agents or even the little notice board for Sale/Wanted in the Safeways will alert you to places and their rent costs.

I'm tapped for info though, there's even a nightlife in Paisley if you are really cheap, just as a heads up, though the crowd out there can be a bit more rough.
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 11:53   #18
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

some nice tips there sunday.. tho

20 mins extra with bus is kinda not very tempting...
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 12:07   #19
Sunday8pm
Banned

Everywhere downtown is like greenock or will take the shirt off your back in living expenses though.

I've known a few people who've tried to get around living in the west end of glasgow, all I can say was unless you are prepared to live with lots of other people (and let's face it all the semi-decent accomodation in teh west end will be occupied with students now), you are pretty much screwed. Most of the west of scotland is pretty much like greenock for boredom/druggies unless you are living in a somewhat nicer part of town which usually requires home ownership.

I would welcome other input though and wish you good luck in uncovering somewhere nice, You might wanna try around bishopton I guess, they had a lot of lay off's due to the defence contracts getting shafted there so I'm reckoning that the renting market might be good around there and it's on the main trainline to IBM, you are prolly looking at 30 min train ride to IBM and 30 min train ride to Glasgow, though you are shafted for staying out late in glasgow unless you love big taxi fares or got somewhere to stay out there.
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 12:53   #20
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

i have talked to some IBM'ers who live in glasgow and the area around there.

either they live in the student part of glasgow.. i have no idea what they mean by that, but i went visiting one of them a month ago and it was a realy nice place, kinda quiet, shared with nice people etc.. and only a min or two with underground to central (wich is fully acceptable).. or they lived in the suburbs or whatever.. far away from everything. Mostly standard life people with cars and familys tho..

i have no problem sharing flat with people, and i can pay up to.. erm 350 if its nice, close and includes taxes..
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 13:04   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
The West End / Town Centre (ie the nice parts of town) you're looking at about £250/month min.

That's just rent with no bills.
cry me a river.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 14:13   #22
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Not like id want to live in Scotland anyway, but this thread just makes it seem even worse than i thought
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 14:20   #23
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
Not like id want to live in Scotland anyway, but this thread just makes it seem even worse than i thought
I hate you!

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 14:22   #24
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

Scotland isnt that bad... ;p

But it depends what you compare with, i have only the richest country in the world to compare with so everything is gonna suck for me.. (=

anyways.. im starting to get used to it...
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 17:18   #25
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

indeed
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 23:47   #26
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulan-bat0r
i have talked to some IBM'ers who live in glasgow and the area around there.

either they live in the student part of glasgow.. i have no idea what they mean by that, but i went visiting one of them a month ago and it was a realy nice place, kinda quiet, shared with nice people etc.. and only a min or two with underground to central (wich is fully acceptable).. or they lived in the suburbs or whatever.. far away from everything. Mostly standard life people with cars and familys tho..

i have no problem sharing flat with people, and i can pay up to.. erm 350 if its nice, close and includes taxes..

Student part of town:

From Charring Cross for both Great Western Road (out a bit past the Botanic Gardens) and Dumbarton Road (out to Partick / Crow Road) forming the legs and Byres Road forming the cross part of an "A"

All the areas around there and stretching out quite a bit (ie so the area is a filled in triangle centring on Glasgow Uni).

You'll definately get a place for less than £350 but you WILL be sharing with someone(s).

If you get a place out there you'll be next to me ... which is "nice" for you.
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 23:48   #27
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
cry me a river.

You were the one who decided to **** off down to London.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 00:25   #28
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

trainspotting.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 09:50   #29
ulan-bat0r
sucking young blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
If you get a place out there you'll be next to me ... which is "nice" for you.
why do you think i want to move to glasgow honey?