User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 14:49   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i think this a great idea

http://www.moveamericaforward.org/?Page=Petition

go and sign. i seriously dont want the organisation that represents the whole world to be located in a country full of christian fanatics, militaristic nationalists and generally insane people.
i dont get the point about the payments though. if you want to reduce payments you need to pay something in the first place.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 14:58   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: i think this a great idea

I signed up as

Kofi Annan
UN Headquarters
First Avenue at 46th Street
New York,
NY

online petitions aren't worth the paper they're written on.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:12   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Edwards you're a twat.
And I agree with inf in the fact your blatently hiding the closet.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:14   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Edwards you're a twat.
why's that?
Quote:
And I agree with inf in the fact your blatently hiding the closet.
I'm what?

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:16   #5
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I was in such a rush i missed out an 'in'. I apologise.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:18   #6
Radical Edward

err dude, I'm happily married, to a member of the opposite sex. so the odds of the closet thing are a tad low.

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:21   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

wtf are you people talking about?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:23   #8
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
wtf are you people talking about?
God knows. I was just taking the mickey out of that petition a bit, and then he launches into some pointless ad hominem on me and accuses me of being gay (I assume that is what he means by the closet thing). GD I suppose.

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:30   #9
wu_trax

ok then, someone wanna say something about the topic? i could translate this: http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/18/18876/1.html here, which probably would make a more intresting topic to dicuss, but im really not THAT bored just yet . i like the picture though, reminds me of the good old times when we had a Führer too.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:34   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's no coincidence that the recent decline of the UN has occurred under non-white leadership I'll tell you that for free.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:35   #11
Radical Edward

you said they don'T pay anything, but don't they pay ca 25% of it?

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:46   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Say hello to the UN budget.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 15:56   #13
Radical Edward

heh, why am I not suprised.

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 16:17   #14
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
you said they don'T pay anything, but don't they pay ca 25% of it?
this is less about how much they are supposed to pay and more about how much they actually pay.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 16:57   #15
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't the US withold payments and contributions to the UN as recently as Bush coming into term though?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:01   #16
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Didn't the US withold payments and contributions to the UN as recently as Bush coming into term though?
thanks to jbg here you go:
http://www.globalpolicy.org/finance/...et/large04.htm

on a national state level these amounts are a joke anyway, i mean what are a 100 million for a goverment? bush spend 100 billion for bombing random countries and these right wing nuts complain about 360 million (of which less than 1/3 is paid anyway)
(im assuming here that assessment means what the individual countries should pay)

Last edited by wu_trax; 24 Nov 2004 at 17:29.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:27   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: i think this a great idea

Clearly we're paying far more into the UN than it's worth.

And I fully support moving UN headquarters somewhere else. The land it occupies is valuable and could be used for something productive. North Korea or Zimbabwe come to mind as countries which exemplify the UN ideal, but pretty much anywhere else would make it marginally easier to ignore.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:37   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
North Korea or Zimbabwe come to mind as countries which exemplify the UN ideal
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 12:56   #19
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Right wing states are just great! I'm so glad* America is one.

*bile duct draining spleen crushingly furious

It's not like the U.S. actually pays any heed to what the U.N. or international law says anyway. Yet they do seem to invade and bomb other countries for ignoring the same things...
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 13:01   #20
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
err dude, I'm happily married, to a member of the opposite sex. so the odds of the closet thing are a tad low.
it just makes it all the worse, especially when you have kids!

"Hey son, I'm a homo".
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 13:07   #21
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Anyway on-topic the UN is a bit crap.
maybe its not perfect (see that whole oil-for-food-incident this all is about), but its the best we can get right now. id take a crappy UN over american darwinism any day.

Last edited by wu_trax; 26 Nov 2004 at 13:14.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 16:16   #22
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick
it just makes it all the worse, especially when you have kids!

"Hey son, I'm a homo".
**** you and the horse you rode in on.

Unread 27 Nov 2004, 15:58   #23
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
maybe its not perfect (see that whole oil-for-food-incident this all is about), but its the best we can get right now. id take a crappy UN over american darwinism any day.
i know what you mean but i just thought that i should just point out that most americans dont believe in darwins theories, well, most bush supporters anyway
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 16:03   #24
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i thought that was his point...

-mist
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 16:11   #25
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thats not what it scans like to me
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 16:12   #26
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
i know what you mean but i just thought that i should just point out that most americans dont believe in darwins theories, well, most bush supporters anyway
depressing isn't it? what a bunch of numbskulls.

Unread 27 Nov 2004, 16:21   #27
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
thats not what it scans like to me
no, you are right, it wasnt. my point was that most americans seem to belive that its ok if the strong tells the weak how to live. thats kind of a 'society'-darwinism, where on the long run only the supposedly 'strongest' form of society (i.e. american capitalism with american democracy survives and replaces all other forms of how we may live together.
and yes, its kind of funny that in such a country people dont even belive in the darwinism in nature. ( and its also funny that in society in which star trek and the prime directive were invented people so much dont get it )
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 17:48   #28
Radical Edward

Quote:
no, you are right, it wasnt. my point was that most americans seem to belive that its ok if the strong tells the weak how to live. thats kind of a 'society'-darwinism, where on the long run only the supposedly 'strongest' form of society (i.e. american capitalism with american democracy survives and replaces all other forms of how we may live together.
well that is just memetics for you - those societies which evangelise more and are more adept at pandering to those subconscious needs (or fooling the mind into thinking those subconscious needs are/can be pandered to i.e. the American Dream) will inevitably spread. I would be wary of atributing darwinism though, since memes do not inherit in a typically darwinian fashion, but can cross-inherit more or less arbitrarily with the caveat that the new memes must function well within the current memeplex and hence destroy any possibility of matched socio-hierarchies. you also have to be rather careful using the word darwinism around the word social or society, because it will get obfuscated with the hideously false social darwinism, which makes entirely independent errors of its own.

Unread 27 Nov 2004, 19:59   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Signed it as:

Mrs. Herbert-Ludwig von Tyre-Outremer,
The Mark Twain Starlite and Dancing Room,
Suite Four,
Coupboard Two and Three Quarters,
Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia.

No,No,[email protected]
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 02:57   #30
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
What do you call it when you make up the other side's position so you can argue against it?
Quote:
and yes, its kind of funny that in such a country people dont even belive in the darwinism in nature. ( and its also funny that in society in which star trek and the prime directive were invented people so much dont get it )
Star Trek and the Prime Directive are fiction, Jim. And not even good fiction.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 08:06   #31
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Signed it as:

Mrs. Herbert-Ludwig von Tyre-Outremer,
The Mark Twain Starlite and Dancing Room,
Suite Four,
Coupboard Two and Three Quarters,
Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia.

No,No,[email protected]
I think posting your personal details on a forum is a bit dangerous to be honest.

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 10:36   #32
wu_trax

Quote:
well that is just memetics for you - those societies which evangelise more and are more adept at pandering to those subconscious needs (or fooling the mind into thinking those subconscious needs are/can be pandered to i.e. the American Dream) will inevitably spread. I would be wary of atributing darwinism though, since memes do not inherit in a typically darwinian fashion, but can cross-inherit more or less arbitrarily with the caveat that the new memes must function well within the current memeplex and hence destroy any possibility of matched socio-hierarchies. you also have to be rather careful using the word darwinism around the word social or society, because it will get obfuscated with the hideously false social darwinism, which makes entirely independent errors of its own.
its one thing if one culture influences another (like if we go and watch an american movie or eat at mc donalds, if you accept that as examples), but quite another if force is used to take control of a country and then you enforce your values on the population of that country.
(and use less big words, im too stupid for that )
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:05   #33
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think posting your personal details on a forum is a bit dangerous to be honest.
Possibly true.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:51   #34
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
What do you call it when you make up the other side's position so you can argue against it?
Psychosis?
Quote:
Star Trek and the Prime Directive are fiction, Jim. And not even good fiction.
And not really relevant. A pre-warp civilisation cannot physically harm the Federation's interests. The military already tend to try not to intentionally mess up harmless people like groups of nomads.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 10:07   #35
Radical Edward

Quote:
its one thing if one culture influences another (like if we go and watch an american movie or eat at mc donalds, if you accept that as examples), but quite another if force is used to take control of a country and then you enforce your values on the population of that country.
but is there a real difference? It is part of the cultural mindset that it "enforces" its culture on others. Hence the enforcing of culture is simply a part of the culture and my original argument applies. my main concern though was your use of the word darwinian. It's out of context when talking about culture, since the inheritance mechanisms are different.
Quote:
(and use less big words, im too stupid for that )
what you say?

Unread 29 Nov 2004, 10:51   #36
wu_trax

Quote:
but is there a real difference? It is part of the cultural mindset that it "enforces" its culture on others. Hence the enforcing of culture is simply a part of the culture and my original argument applies. my main concern though was your use of the word darwinian. It's out of context when talking about culture, since the inheritance mechanisms are different.
yes, there is a difference. if i have a choice i see no problem. if i really wanted to, i could watch a french movie.
i dont think the word darwinism is that bad in this context. sure, the mechanisms may be different, but the endresult is the same: the dominant version replaces the others.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 15:17   #37
Radical Edward

Quote:
yes, there is a difference. if i have a choice i see no problem. if i really wanted to, i could watch a french movie.
i dont think the word darwinism is that bad in this context. sure, the mechanisms may be different, but the endresult is the same: the dominant version replaces the others.
darwinian encompasses so much more than mere "survival of the fittest" and even this is in itself somewhat of a misnomer and an irritating cliche that Darwin should have stayed well clear of in the first place (it wasn't his idea). if all that concerns you is the end result, then you could equally say lamarckian or phagocytically, and land yourself with a totally different set of accompanying baggace (actually I think the US culture is more Phagocytic than any of the other options)