User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 21:59   #1
-=Pathogen=-
Gainzy

-=Pathogen=- is an unknown quantity at this point
Why do ppl dis pds

why is it that pds is looked upon as a bad thing i have played in a fair few rounds as alot of ppl know under a few different names and i can say from playing planet-ia (i know some ppl h8 it) pds is a good thing and will make the game more intresting and encourage more active attackers so as a player with exp on games with and with out pds i must say that the only reason members of the big alliences dont like pds is because they wont be as successfull as they are and new players would actualy stand a chance of serviving more then a week befor quiting never to return :gollum:
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 22:01   #2
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do ppl dis pds

PDS stinks.
If you like it that much build ships and leave them at home to die when getting attacked by someone only attacking you because he knows hes going to win.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 22:04   #3
-=Pathogen=-
Gainzy

this is exactly the kind of person i was talking about
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 22:39   #4
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Because it encourages bashing. More ships will be sent to kill off the pds, which will leave more ships to destroy your fleet with. I bet you're the sort of person who would then whinge that PDS was brought back into the game if it happened to you.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 22:41   #5
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

i also like PDS, especially the thing that it did always shoot first.
if u don't like it u just don't have to build it.
so bring it back and let ppl who like it build it
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 22:44   #6
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

pffff, if u fear beeing bashed then just don't build PDS.

anyone of u remembers the roman fortress? well he liked PDS and won a round... /3 or 4 can't remember exactly)
so it can't be that bad
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 23:15   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Pathogen=-
this is exactly the kind of person i was talking about
I have played PA since round 2 and I have played the appaling ******** and it was good for a day or 2, I even built PDS just because it was there didnt help me very much when some git wiped them out. So don't tell me I dont know what I am on about.
Trust me I know what I mean when i say the are p1sh and roman fortress only built them coz he could.
That guy got to much resource per tick

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 23:15   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

pds is bad because:

you can't use it to defend with. with single targeting the game is built to encourage people to defend each other, as you can't amass enough ships that target every ship type not to be attacked. with pds if you wish it to be effective you'd have to try and build enough of every type for it to make a difference - a clear impossibility. the alternative is to build a glut of one type, and then have people attack you with a different type of ship, and therefore your pds achieves you nothing.

it's difficult to balance. we've had pds that shoots before ships - making it goddly, we've had pds that shoots after ships - making it useless. the alternative, i suppose is to make it shoot during ships initiatives. however, in order for this to work you then have to give it more damage and armour than ships to compensate for it being immobile. this will result in pds whores, who have no real impact on the game, yet can't be attacked. as the game doesn't have enough planets anyway this is a bad thing. pds causes stagnation.

pds is only usable if you're not going to get attacked. this in itself makes it stupid, as the whole point of pds is for defence, yet if you're being attacked odds are people will do it without enough to total your pds and make it a waste of points. also, pds has to be better than ships, to make up for its immobility (point 2). therefore, only those planets who can risk it (the large planets) have access to better weapons. giving the best planets access to better weapons seems rather counter productive

newbies seem that pds is for defence, build it and get trashed. while this is silly, it still happens and as there's no actual good reason for including pds in the game it seems silly to build in a newbie trap for no good reason

overall, there is no good argument for including pds in the game, and several against including it. that's why pds is looked upon as a bad thing

-mist
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 03:03   #9
-=Pathogen=-
Gainzy

this is all the feedback i needed not the stuff about how its no good because we get hurt when we attack but the facts from mist (thx MIST you were a great help in giving good solid and direct answears)
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 03:41   #10
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida
pffff, if u fear beeing bashed then just don't build PDS.

anyone of u remembers the roman fortress? well he liked PDS and won a round... /3 or 4 can't remember exactly)
so it can't be that bad
You mean he ended fourth. And you're entirely wrong, nr 1 planets are notorious for having poorly built fleets. They're usually built around one thing, and one thing only: gaining roids. And often on principle of being undefendably large, rather than efficient. Game's planet was notoriously shit in round 3 because he didn't expect actual combat to erupt again. So when he did, his PDS got home and mullered.

See, bashing can happen to top planets too
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 04:30   #11
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

this isn't the time or the place but I'm sure game didn't finish as high as he could because of the Wp "thing"

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 04:44   #12
Almeida

hm, then my brain played a trick at me :/ i could've sworn that the roman fortress did win one round.

@ arbondigo: hm anyways: i wouldn't say PDS encourages bashing more. this round there have planets been bashed too and imho it hurts much more when u loose 40 structures than your PDS.
the PDS u can buy back with resources, the structures u have to rebuild over hundreds of ticks. so if u are against PDS u gotta be against construction too.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 13:16   #13
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Singu got donated to #1 during the last bit of r3 so no, Game didn`t win
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 13:31   #14
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida
@ arbondigo: hm anyways: i wouldn't say PDS encourages bashing more. this round there have planets been bashed too and imho it hurts much more when u loose 40 structures than your PDS.
the PDS u can buy back with resources, the structures u have to rebuild over hundreds of ticks. so if u are against PDS u gotta be against construction too.
I was against contruction for the first few rounds we had it, but PDS and construction are 2 different things. The constructions you need to be able to build ships, i now see the point of constructions and have now been turned in favour of them. PDS on the otherhand are a waste of resources imo. To my knowledge at least, PDS counted as having a fleet at home, so if none of your PDS fired at the pods, you'd lose a load of roids as the fleet you send in would value less than the PDS. I'm pretty sure structures don't.

As has been mentioned before in just about every discussion on PDS, only the newbies build it mainly because the option is there for it to be built. It does encourage bashing as you have to send enough to make sure you get the better of the battle. I remember my first couple of rounds, i built PDS mainly because it was an option. I'd then get upset when i got bashed because of having it. The only planets i've ever seen PDS being worthwhile on are the top planets who just build millions of the stuff because they generate so many resources!
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 13:52   #15
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

pds sucks.. why ?
Because I build it when im drunk =(
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:06   #16
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

So you never built it Tesla?
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:07   #17
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

he built it (and loads of it <3) WHEN HES DRUNK & ON THE INTERNET!
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:07   #18
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOfThis
So you never built it Tesla?
[12:53] <Tesla> [12:53] <jerome`> NEWBNOUGHT
[12:53] <Tesla> quoted for truth.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:08   #19
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

[11:54:00] <Vanquisher> 11:53:13 <Dreadnought> TESNUB
[11:54:03] <Vanquisher> quoted for truth.
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 14:08   #20
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
WHEN HES DRUNK & ON THE INTERNET!
You make a horribly good point :/
Unread 27 Nov 2004, 15:18   #21
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

tesds!

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 14:00   #22
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough

bullshit, pds sucks big time. If some n00b player builds pds he will be bashed and then roided.
PDS allways leaded to bashing and to not being attacked by emp. And i do prefer emp inc above all others....
so who ever builds pds is a n00b.
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 13:22   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

standard pds will probably never make a return, part 2 of this thread is interesting though - http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=181768

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread