User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:38   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I Need Help! Argh

Today i finally got my rig in working order. Watercooling was all setup. Quietpc delivered a zalman heatsink to cover a chip on the graphics card that needed some passive cooling and wasnt cooled by the waterblock and all was well. No more freezes when i tried to run a video.

I play CS for about 30minutes and then bam i get a blue screen for about a nano second and the pc dies. No power at all.

I hit the power button and nothing...

i turn off te power on the back of the psu and turn it back on. Hit on and the power briefly flows (enough to turn a fan or two) and then dead followed by a long bios beep and an error code.

i think 'ut oh'

I take out the cmos battery and put it back in.

restart it and it boots. I can hear it doing the POSTand the hdd's begin to churn.

except theres nothing on the screen....the monitor is dead...

I think 'ut oh' again.

ive left it now for over 5 hours and come home after going out for the night. it shouldve cooled down if it had just gone haywire throgh heat but it hasnt and still refuses to work so im guessing my gfx card is dead....

wtf has caused it? the gpu block is on and was working (when i booted into windows i did a quick check of the temp and it was hovering around ambient temperature of 34. It used to run around 40/50 so watercooling was definitly working. - the cpu temp i had showing on another monitor as i played CS and it never went above 30 degrees C (coolios))

Wtf just happened?

the other odd thing is this...

my psu is a tagan 420w. On the back is a switch with O and 1 (on and off lols) and actsa as the master switch to kill power.
Before this episode of bizarreness id have to flick it to 1 and then press the power button.....however if i flick it to 1 now the pc will turn on without the power button being touched......wtf?????)

what do i do

help!
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 18:08   #2
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I Need Help! Argh

ohh be careful with your psu
i had the "same" problem and wondered what this should be i turned it and blew my psu

the solution to this problem was the voltage 22 0 and 1 10 volt
i could only read the last and the first part 0 and 1
so make sure first if you have the same thing before switching around
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 22:14   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dont understand what you mean.....

If its flicked off then its off and if i flick it on its on?

Whats this 10 24 jobbywhatist stufF?

As it happens i went to pcworld (omg i know) and bought a jeantech 480w for 40 quid just to see if the psu was the issue. The motherboard did precisely the same thing.

As such im now looking at rebuilding a totally new machine because of this mess. Im going to replace the psu/motherboard/graphics card
as the gfx has blown up, the motherboard i have a feeling is fried and the psu im worried is in someway damaged even though its a tagan and relatively new. Im not 100% sure its still 'a-ok'. :/
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 22:15   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

turns out its covered under a 3 year warrenty so i might send it back to scan for a replacement one.
Unread 2 Jul 2006, 10:45   #5
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

i meant that the psu has to modes to work with one with 220 volt and one with 110 volt, here in germany we use 220 volt, and there are other countries with 110 volt.

now if you switch while it is running you can damage the psu.
and in my case i wasnt able to turn the switch correctly and i was only able to see the last or the first number of the voltages.
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2006, 11:06   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

i havnt touched the voltages on the psu....
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 19:45   #7
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

When you removed and replaced the CMOS battery did you re-setup your BOIS?