User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 May 2005, 22:23   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Torrents

Now this is illegal, but my curiosity towards this subject is high.

I was wondering if you GD could give me a detailed rundown of what a torrent is, how to get one, how to download music and movies etc.

To help you. I have a 2mb Line, which is controlled by a wireless router. (if that helps) oh yeah how long would it take to download say a film? With these "torrents"
Unread 20 May 2005, 22:30   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Torrents

I wouldn't know about all that seeing as it is illegal and such.

Whisper: Meet me out back in 5 minutes!
Unread 20 May 2005, 22:30   #3
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

A torrent is a small file which you get from a "tracker". The tracker is a website usually, which tells you who else is connected to the torrent, and who has what parts of the file(s) you're trying to get. You need a program like Azuereus or BitTornado to open the torrent. When you do, it creates the shell of the file(s), and sends out requests for parts of the file. It collects the parts of the file (usually a couple of thousand parts for movies), and pieces them together, while sending the parts that you already have to other people. Essentially, as everyone on the torrent is sending pieces to each other, it allows a quick download of the file.

It's pretty easy to max out your connection with torrents, assuming you find a good tracker, with users who aren't faggoty with their upload speed. On a 2mb line, you could probably get a movie in a few hours*.

*assuming you mean a 700mb XviD or DivX. A DVD would obviously take a lot longer.

vvvv what he said. (how was Messy Girls?)

Last edited by Super; 20 May 2005 at 22:35.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2005, 23:02   #4
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Why is it illegal? I only use bittorrent to transfer photoshopped images of myself and my friends!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2005, 23:08   #5
Bodders

Bodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
Why is it illegal? I only use bittorrent to transfer photoshopped images of myself and my friends!
What you are doing is not illegal.

It is illegal to download and share any copyrighted work with out the owners consent, for example say someone was acquire a dvd quality copy of revenge of the sith and share itr over the net for others to downloadwith out seeking permission they would have broken the law along with anyone who downloads it.

In most cases like the one above it is highly unlikely that a company will say yes. But there is always the exception to the rule.
Unread 20 May 2005, 23:28   #6
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodders
...for example say someone was acquire a dvd quality copy of revenge of the sith and share itr over the net for others to downloadwith out seeking permission
Yeah, like as if that's going to happen.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2005, 00:05   #7
Bodders

Bodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura about

well i thought i would make my answer as correct as possible and not include my personal thoughts on the subject.
Unread 21 May 2005, 10:15   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodders
they would have broken the law along with anyone who downloads it.
That's not actually true, depending on where you live.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2005, 11:31   #9
Bodders

yeah yeah yeah, pick holes

something i was not thinking about at the time.
Unread 21 May 2005, 13:24   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest using DC++ instead, if your not looking for something very odd.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 01:07   #11
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I suggest using DC++ instead, if your not looking for something very odd.
MMmm Campus Hub... I shall miss thee dearly
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 16:38   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

DC is dangrous to use outside of closed networks, as it allows anyone to get a complete listing of what you're sharing. This is compounded by the fact that the best hubs generally require you to share at least 100GB of "worthwhile" stuff (and they will check and kick you if you share crap).

So it's really quite easy for anyone from law enforcement to come along and see you're sharing EMI's entire back catalog. At least with BitTorrent they can only see you're downloading the one particular torrent they happen to be monitoring.

Damage limitation, kids.
Unread 23 May 2005, 10:42   #13
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
DC is dangrous to use outside of closed networks, as it allows anyone to get a complete listing of what you're sharing. This is compounded by the fact that the best hubs generally require you to share at least 100GB of "worthwhile" stuff (and they will check and kick you if you share crap).

So it's really quite easy for anyone from law enforcement to come along and see you're sharing EMI's entire back catalog. At least with BitTorrent they can only see you're downloading the one particular torrent they happen to be monitoring.

Damage limitation, kids.
alternatively do what I do and share large amounts of stuff that is legal to share, and keep moving the naughty stuff out of the shared directory.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:20   #14
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Pig, i have plenty of goos torrent sites bookmarked here ( nothin ilegal, ofc )

If you want them to check out, msg me on forums or pm on IRC.

Torrents can be the best p2p avaliable atm, far better than ed2k by example

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:41   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Anyone got the name of a good torrent-client?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:48   #16
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

http://www.bitlord.com
http://azureus.sourceforge.net
2 reasonable torrenting clients

Torrent Site List
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:52   #17
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

I've tried BitTornado.. however, there is just a yellow light. Im using a router, so I suspect I cant get it to work
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:52   #18
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A quick look at the client types in my peer log shows the vast majority use either BitComet or Azureus. I'm happy with BitComet.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:59   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

torrentstorm for the win.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 May 2005, 15:05   #20
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
A quick look at the client types in my peer log shows the vast majority use either BitComet or Azureus. I'm happy with BitComet.
I'm quite happy with BitComet as well, besides, I don't trust anything java based.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 15:41   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Wtf is the point of having to dl 100mb of Java-s*** to be able to use a torrent-client
Unread 23 May 2005, 15:55   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

45mb last i checked, and shrug.
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:05   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I've tried BitTornado.. however, there is just a yellow light. Im using a router, so I suspect I cant get it to work
Set port forwarding/DMZ.
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:07   #24
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

DMZ isnt a clever idea (unless your assuming he's properly protected in software, and assumption is a silly thing)
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:17   #25
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

you just need the runtime, not the jdk
and thats about 15 mb
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:19   #26
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i quite like burst, but i'm probably being strange and not noticing some hugely fundamental flaw in it.
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:54   #27
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
actually

dmz is not a good idea because most routers mangle packets severly if you are using the dmz which will more often than not result in 99.9% complete torrents because one of the segments will never hash
oh.

well, either way its not a good idea
Unread 23 May 2005, 17:06   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
actually

dmz is not a good idea because most routers mangle packets severly if you are using the dmz which will more often than not result in 99.9% complete torrents because one of the segments will never hash
I've had no problem on either of my routers.