User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Apr 2006, 15:51   #1
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold
Masters

Does anyone have one? What use are they? When do you have to start applying for them? How much do they end up costing you? How much work is involved, and is it worth it overall?

I'm approaching the end of my third year of uni and considering either a masters or a phd (not likely). Money is an issue, but one i can deal with (not bothered about going into lots of debt). Not ready to work yet, to be honest, and id like to earn more qualifications.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 16:07   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Masters

I am doing one (done the exams, just the dissertation to go ). I haven't found it to be any harder than an undergraduate course, and the workload wasn't too bothersome (although I did it part-time, so who knows). Same for the other MSc I started, which I quit for financial reasons.

It all seems a bit worthless though, tbh.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 16:08   #3
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Masters

You'd be better off listening to Master and Servant by Depeche Mode.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 16:19   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Does anyone have one? What use are they? When do you have to start applying for them? How much do they end up costing you? How much work is involved, and is it worth it overall?

I'm approaching the end of my third year of uni and considering either a masters or a phd (not likely). Money is an issue, but one i can deal with (not bothered about going into lots of debt). Not ready to work yet, to be honest, and id like to earn more qualifications.
What subject are you doing?

I did a masters and am now doing a PhD. I applied for mine in December time and was accepted by Jan/Feb i think. Generally the earlier you apply the better although some people on my course applied late (June/July to start in September) and still got accepted. I guess it depends how popular the course is.

I wouldnt say there was too much more work than my degree and i actually found it easier but that may just be because my degree was stupidly hard.

It cost me £3000 in tuition fees and i got a £1000 bursary. I guess with top up fees it will be closer to 9 grand now although you might be able to get some kind of funding.

My masters was definitely worth it seeing as it got me on to my PhD. In terms of jobs it probably puts you slightly above someone of an equal level to you who 'only' has a degree.

PhDs are a different issue in terms of when to apply and how much work you do etc. If you arent sure i wouldnt do a PhD, you have to be certain if you are going to spend 3-4 years doing one. Do a masters first if you arent certain then see how you feel after that. Funding tends not to be too difficult to get for UK students doing PhDs as long as its not too obscure an area.

Edit:

I had written more before i accidently deleted it all then decided just to quickly type up that before going for a coffee break (PhDs are hard work really). Lets see if i can remember some of the other stuff i said originally.

I imagine in an employers eyes a masters would put you slightly ahead of someone just with a degree. Whether its worth it financially i dont know. I think i once saw figures of science masters students on average being payed 2 grand more than someone with a degree but dont quote me on the figures.

In terms of work involved it probably depends on your subject. I did about 20-25 hours of lectures/practicals a week. The amount of coursework i had varied, sometimes it was pretty hectic and other months were relaxed. I did a 3 month industrial placement over the summer for which i had to write up a dissertation.

If you do go ahead and apply i would definitely looking into funding/bursaries. Most unis offer some kind of bursary either on a first come first serve basis or on merit. From my experience they tend not to be very well advertised and are usually restricted to UK or EU students, so if your course is full of Chinese students like mine was or not everyone on the course knew that bursaries existed then it vastly increases your chances of getting one.

Last edited by JC; 28 Apr 2006 at 16:42.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 16:56   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wanted to do one but was unable to fund it, so applied for a 1+3 funded PhD instead (essentially a Masters then a PhD for those without prior research experience). Since I was only doing the Masters to skew my experience towards the area I wanted to do my doctorate in it's not much of a difference, except that instead of having to find three-odd grand plus a year and earning to live, there're studentships going with waived fees and a £12k stipend.

I'm not sure how much of a difference a Masters would make in terms of your employability, especially if you were asked 'so why'd you hide in academia another year' and your answer was 'I didn't want to work yet'. If I were in a similar situation I'd probably think about taking a year to travel and flesh my CV out from the purely academic with some volunteer work abroad or something.

Edit: If I get this sodding thing I'm going to be 26 by the time I leave Uni =(
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 17:44   #6
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why do you want a Master's?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 17:46   #7
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

did a MEng but did it as an undergrauate so it literally was just following on from my 3 years.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 18:17   #8
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

It really depends on the master
Some masters really do pay themselfs back

I think it's best to just google for information about the Masters that are available to you,
check out the job applications for them and talk to your study advisor (or whatever it's called)
Internet is your friend

You can also just ask your teachers that already have one
I heard their human too

Last edited by Alessio; 28 Apr 2006 at 18:46.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 21:15   #9
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
did a MEng but did it as an undergrauate so it literally was just following on from my 3 years.
All you need now is your MErcyless qualification and you can rule the world!!!
Unread 29 Apr 2006, 00:17   #10
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to ask why, maybe you shouldn't be doing one?

I'd say thats doubly true of a PHD
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2006, 13:42   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm considering doing a Masters in Education. Mainly because I already have half the credits for one from my PGCE (teacher training) so to up it to a Masters I only have to do a couple of 4000 word essays on teaching practice. It's recommended to wait a few years so you have enough to write about, though.

After that I might do a PHd in Education (it might not be called that, I can't remember) - that makes you a doctor of Education. Basically I want to be able to skip a taxi queue shouting "STOP! I'M A DOCTOR!".
Unread 29 Apr 2006, 13:59   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It all seems a bit worthless though, tbh.
Nonsense, I'm sure a masters degree in Housing Policy would be a valuable addition to anyone's intellectual repetoir.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2006, 15:09   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

As Alessio said it probally depends on what your looking to take a masters in and what you actually want to do when you finish uni. Theres some fields which without a masters your probally never get into but for alot of other fields of work it probally isnt going to do a great deal to help your employment chances.

Certainly what I've learnt talking to people whom work as recruiters or work in HR they all comment about how in todays world theres just so many people whom have pieces of paper stating they are qualified to do that particular job that even degrees are being somewhat devalued and that these really arent the impressive factor on your CV that they used to be. Previous experiance in a simerlar role or intresting life experiances are apparently what makes you stand out more in a world overloaded with qualifications.

If you want to find out if you do need a masters I would probally suggest contacting companies in the field you want to go into and have a word with their HR department. Not only will they be able to tell you if your qualified t do what you want to do or if your masters would help but your also being proactive in searching for employment and a job might come out of it (or a a couple of people I know who did this, they had their masters finacied by the company in exchange for working for the company for a few years after they completed the masters)
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote