User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Feb 2004, 01:40   #1
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts
New Newsletter

What do you think of the Newsletter? I think it is pretteh nice... more that i expected...

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 09:08   #2
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road
Re: New Newsletter

Some untrue facts about R6B but indeed the rest is better then expected
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 11:10   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It could to with the layout tweaked.

And proofreading.

And what's with the rather odd content? (Summaries a news article, review a cd?)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 13:15   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

tbh I have a little trouble working out the actual point of it. Why do we have a newsletter that in reality isnt really a newsletter but instead a second portal. Wouldnt it have made alot more sense to include this content into the portal and thus make the portal more useful?
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 14:31   #5
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Ice-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the compliments.
I do not change what people say, apart from changing abbreviations or removing of bad language. So if there are some facts which in someone else's opinion are different there is not much I can do about it. Maybe you'd like to volunteer for an interview?
I try to proof read all the articles but with several being submitted for this first issue time was against me, I will endeavour to check / edit those articles now I have a bit more free time.
With regard to contents, I've tried to provide a wider selection of things to read other than just PA based news etc. If you wish to suggest ideas for any other content please feel free to mail me [email protected] and I will pass those ideas onto the team and see if we can implement them into the Newsletter. I welcome feedback.
The newsletter is updated with new articles once per week, so keep coming back and reading new contents!

Once the round 11 portal is fully coded and ready, the Newsletter will become integrated into it, but that's something to ask Karmulian about. As of yet I'm not 100% sure of what changes there will be. I will keep you posted on that. The point of the newsletter is to widen the services PA offer to their community, to provide something for them to read and enjoy other than just the game it's self.

In the next issue, Rember will be gathering PA's top 100 music favourites, which will be played either on PA radio / Jolt Radio or Vision Radio ( to be arranged ) This will hopefully happen in March when all results are in. Check the Newsletter next week for info!
Ice-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 15:33   #6
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Id volunteer for an interview.. not sure how exciting it would be tho..

Unread 12 Feb 2004, 15:34   #7
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

what about recruiting 2 or 3 ppl to proofread for yoU?

Unread 12 Feb 2004, 16:12   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Word of advice, start changing and/or removing parts of peoples articles if theres anything which is wrong and also try and drum it into the writers not to report half truths. If 'rumours' are to be reported it needs to be made sure its made clear that they are just rumours and it isnt confirmed as true and they should also make sure that the parties involved in the rumours are given a chance to give their side.

It might seem a little heavy handed being so tough on the writers but I leant the hardway that taking a relaxed approach just leads to more hassle than its really worth and you need to make sure you dont fall into the same trap.

The content of the newsletter on the whole seems fine although a few areas seem a little lacking. For example some of the Interviews are a little short (the one with Consul springs to mind) while many of the others just arent tough enough with the interviewee resulting in interviews which results in them churning out responces on things which we have heard before and nothing really new comes out of them. This is probally down to the fact that the interviewers are probally too friendly with the interviewee, after all its easier to get interviews with friends and you dont want to push friends as far as you would someone you dont like but some edgier stuff would make better reading. Also I have to say at times these interviews are a little dry and the odd 'comedic' interview wouldnt go amiss. I remember when we were putting the original newsletter together we were always intending to fo down 'traditional' interview road but when we received the samples with people applications to join the team one of them stood out. This was Vanilla's who realised that most of the questions that could be asked well known people had already been answered and hence there wasnt a great deal you could learn about them as a player. He instead asked them much more 'light heated' questions which had no relevence to planetarion itself. When I read his sample I loved it, when it was shown to zeus he loved it and when we set Vanilla loose on Spinner he apprently loved it as the questions were fresh and fun to answer. This resulted in an interview which gave a much better picture of who spinner was than a traditional interview would have given (and told the newsletter team that spinner isnt very funny as his responce to "tell us your favourite" joke was so unfunny - Spinner claims its funnier in norweigen- that Zeus demanded he submit a new joke, although that wasnt much better )

The CD/DVD review also seems a little pointless atm, only one of the reviews was really worth publishing (the Furious Angels ? Rob D one) the others just werent indepth enough. Also they all could have done with some kind of score (although this will need someone to come up with scoring crtiea to ensure they are all being scored on a simerlar scale). Another thing about this section is there is simply not enough in it and the contents is generally not upto date enough, some retro reviews are great but some more upto date stuff would be advantagous. Imho this section needs expanding too, the critea is just too restrictive and could do with changed to just "reviews" with sunsections of DVD,CD,TV,Sport, Concerts, Games, movies, events ect ect allowing a wide variety of reviews to be included. ofc with reviews also I think Karm may need to do a bit of recoding to implement a SPOILER tag system as people may not want to know what happened in a movie or a TV episode ect and may just want an overview and a rating but then allowing a more indepth peice to be read by highlighting the text.

With the expanding of Reviews you would lose much of the need for 'Real Life Events" which is also underused as it is. However the the E-rage peice does highlight a great use for this section, basically what I'm calling the "And Finally" section (which obviously should be at the end). For those of you in the UK you are probally familiar with the old style ITV news at 10 from a few years back. This would always end with a section called "And Finally" which had a single peice of ligh hearted news at the end and it would be a perfect end to the 'newsletter'. You could put funny and obscure news stories that will raise a slight chuckle from the readers in there.

Anyway onto the portal intergration, I take it when you say "become integrated into it" i'm guessing that means "theres a link in the menu to access the 'newsletter'" which to me doesnt seem to really justify why the newsletter is its own section. Aspects of the newsletter will contain stuff already published on the portal, which if your using the newsletter you no doubt use the portal also and have hence seen this info first. It just seems to me to be stuff that would that would be better off as sections of the portal rather than sections of the 'newsletter' which is section of the portal. After all its not like the old newsletter whose main goal was to act as a bridge between the players and the portal/forum making it easier for those who werent forum/portal regulars to get to these services because quite simply any newsletter user has no doubt been to the portal. Perhaps theres some point in this that i'm missing but cant say i actually see it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 17:55   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i always thought the newsletter was a pretty redundant item in a community that is close knit and new news and events get spread around pretty quickly anyway.

but since i didn't go to i-events, didn't kiss arse and didn't code, no one listened to me. oh well.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 18:03   #10
wakey
Hamster

For those people who are active here and use the portal your probally right KaneED but when the initial steps of the original newsletter started it was still r4 with 180k planets and many players who werent as connected as they should be and the newsletter did bring these more into the community. Obviously as the rounds have progressed with p2p these people have become more rare thus it became slightly more redundant
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 18:44   #11
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

i think its a great idea personally.. how bout a stupid news section... ;-)

Unread 12 Feb 2004, 18:50   #12
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
i think its a great idea personally.. how bout a stupid news section... ;-)
Just curious as to why you like it?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 19:34   #13
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Ice-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura about

Thanks again for you words of advice Wakey, I shall point the members of my team here to read what you've said and take some of your suggestions on-board.
We of course hope to increase our player base with the new round 11 whether we'd reach those crazy amounts PA used to have is a different thing, but new people to our community will have a need for the newsletter, along with the older members.
You mention the Cd reviews, yes I agree work needs to be done there, but this was the first issue and as such more of a test to see if the Newsletter could work. It seems people like it already and over time this area along with other section will advance and develop into more detailed reports and reviews. Which will include the things you mentioned above. I already have some game and DVD reviews waiting to be added in future issues.
Perhaps you could email me some of the more pushing type questions you'd like to see asked at interviews, as I agree with you that they need to be perhaps a little tougher and more interesting. Please bear in mind that the team are new to this and will produce much better quality interviews etc over time.
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 19:37   #14
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

I forgot to mention that the newsletter has a channel open for anyone wishing to join it... #theuplink
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 00:13   #15
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Thunderball
Some untrue facts about R6B but indeed the rest is better then expected
that's just what people say in interviews if i am right?
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Rember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 00:29   #16
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

aren't interviews about how pple conceive things? how THEY look upon certain things.

Nway, nice job Icy. I hear next weak some quality interviews will be posted? I wonder which ones

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 00:36   #17
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

i like stupid news because the good ones are funny.

Unread 13 Feb 2004, 11:29   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As opposed to the 'lets summarise a bbc news article' item which could just as well have been a link to the item itself, some kind of informed opinion 'slot' reflecting on the past weeks news, or sport, or 'tech stuff' or even PA dev might have been better.

I'd concur with the above opinions that some of the interviews were short, and it seemed that interviewers were falling into the trap of asking 'the questions everyone thinks they're going to ask', specifically the alch and QueenDax interviews (the MISTU one was significantly better and had some more probing questions on top of the mandatory 'what did you think of PAX' ones). The Cayl interview was also more thorough than others.

And of course, Leshy's piece was first-rate. <3

Otherwise it's a basis to build from; some more investigative questions re: the interviewing, some more up to date reviews and some coverage of PA dev (a dev diary perhaps, paging Biffy to...) are definitely things I'd like to see.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 11:43   #19
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Planetarion development is included in the newsletter. I for one have chosen to write about it (as i am an article writer). Your opinions and criticisms are always welcome. A team always learns from it's "mistakes", and i am sure in the future the interviews will be more thorough and interesting for the readers.

Thanks

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 11:52   #20
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
i like stupid news because the good ones are funny.
Oh thought that was a responce saying you "liked the newsletter" not just "stupid news" and was just wondering what it was you liked about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Lady
Perhaps you could email me some of the more pushing type questions you'd like to see asked at interviews, as I agree with you that they need to be perhaps a little tougher and more interesting. Please bear in mind that the team are new to this and will produce much better quality interviews etc over time.
Its not really something thats possible as its not as simple as having a number of 'pushing' questions to ask. The interviewers should have 'reasearched' their target and if they have done this well they should no doubt 'uncover' events that the person was involved in that was glossed over (anyone of any position in an alliance has a bucket full of these events) and more should be done about getting the truth about these past events, Take the interview with Consul, theres a question about why Virus disbanded which resulted in a responce thats basically your normal PR responce, and Zhils one with completly ignores the important events of r3 where Fury "bent the rules" along with Legion and RE by account swapping to give them private galaxies in what was basically a random universe (although at least he did get Cayl to comment on the less serious rule bending to help them in r2). No-one is generally going to come out and give the none PR versions of events without the interviiewer being more probing and pushy in an attempt to rattle the subject. If the interviewers continue to go in to be friendly then there really is little point in them being in the newsletter as its just not goping to tell anyone anything new as it just allows the PR machine for these alliances to work to the full effect
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 11:53   #21
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Some very good suggestions, Thank you Pablissimo, ones I shall take note of.
I have already put forward some new interview tactics and questions to the team based on the suggestions made here, which I hope will encourage and improve the quality of the interviews and heighten the enjoyment for the readers.

I shall track Biffy down and see what he says about the development articles, I can't comment for him or write anything myself at this time about it, but I shall see what I can do.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 12:09   #22
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Wakey, again thanks for posting.. I was thinking maybe you'd like to conduct an interview with someone of your choice and demonstrate some of the finer interview tactics that you may use. Please let me know if you wish to.
#TheUplink is open and I am in there most of the time, feel free to drop in
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 12:38   #23
wakey
Hamster

Thanks for the offer but will have to pass. While I'm fine when it comes to the theory of conducting interviews when I put it into practice I seem to be missing the final peice of the puzzle, that being the ability to really rattle people in an interview. Without this ability it really is no good knowing what you want to acheive out of the interview as you dont have the ability to get it, just like its no good having that killer instinct if you have no idea what you want out of the interview
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 14:18   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

shouldn;t a newsLETTER be an email or something with weekly news about pa

imo the currnet portal is more of a newsletter and the newsletter is more of a portal

also, where is the interview of me

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 17:20   #25
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

That can be arranged.. I will go find a member of my crew to see to it Kal.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 18:31   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I had been interviewed, its just no on the newsletter....

/me ponders if it was a fake interviewer psoing as a newsletter person...

the scandal!

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 18:39   #27
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

LOL!
Ok, then I've got it here somewhere under mountains of other articles I've yet to work thro or the Interviewer has not yet submitted it to me, can you tell me who it was that conducted the interview please ?
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 19:16   #28
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My name is Shaggy and it wasn't me.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 21:56   #29
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
My name is Shaggy and it wasn't me.
Why is it that since you quit as mod so many of posts are pretty much spam, is it a way of reblling after all having to 'good; for so long or you just trying to increase my workload
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:11   #30
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: New Newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Why is it that since you quit as mod so many of posts are pretty much spam, is it a way of reblling after all having to 'good; for so long or you just trying to increase my workload
Leshy has joined the Dark Side. You want to join too.

Search your heart, wakey, you know it to be true.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:23   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Actually, I believe only a fairly small amount of my posts on PD could be considered spam. In pretty much all threads I post in, I reply to other posters in the fashion of the thread. A "Hello everyone, who is still around" thread for example, will contain posts with less substance than a discussion thread about ship statistics or payment. Of course without being a moderator and as such having less of a "Rolemodel for the Rules" thing going on, I may make the occasional post I otherwise wouldn't have.

Conversation is pretty slow at the moment on this forum, and as such the more lighthearted posts tend to surface. At any rate, if my posts are indeed causing an increase in your workload (and considering I haven't noticed any of my posts disappearing or threads I participated in being closed, I doubt it has undergone a significant change) or are generally of an unacceptable level, then by all means let me know through a PM. Which may be a better option than discussing it in this thread, incidentally
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 23:53   #32
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

amen to that

Unread 14 Feb 2004, 00:10   #33
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
, and Zhils one with completly ignores the important events of r3 where Fury "bent the rules" along with Legion and RE by account swapping to give them private galaxies in what was basically a random universe (although at least he did get Cayl to comment on the less serious rule bending to help them in r2). No-one is generally going to come out and give the none PR versions of events without the interviiewer being more probing and pushy in an attempt to rattle the subject. If the interviewers continue to go in to be friendly then there really is little point in them being in the newsletter as its just not goping to tell anyone anything new as it just allows the PR machine for these alliances to work to the full effect
I wish to note that the interview I conducted with Cayl was mainly a friendly favour provided by a long-gone era of Fury executives. It was actually conducted before r10 and I contributed the txt file with the log of the entire thing to Ice-Lady. If I had actually had the time, I would have edited it to make it read less like a story - my questions seemed 'rubbish' really in hindsight. Yet it provides a nice and less-detailed account of Fury history.

I am pro-Fury though, always have been. r3 wasnt a random universe either - you had the choice to stick with your r2 galaxy. Whilst I'm sure account swapping happened, (I didnt participate in any myself and was not offered anything - even though I was in a weak position for Fury), you are confusing Fury's r2 position to actual cheating. Fury took advantage of the lack of true randomization after a certain point of cluster positioning - this is why Fury had strong clusters (I cant remember the exact cluster, was it C36 or C34?) - so when Fury kept together for r3, they were all put roughly together yet again for r3 thus resulting in another Fury fortress cluster.

I do agree though, I would love some interviews to present 'tough' questions.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:53   #34
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

People keep mentioning these "tough" questions.. Yet when asked what these questions are no one replies... Please, if you have any suggestions on what you would like to see asked, either post here or email me [email protected] with them and I will add them to the list for my team to use.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 08:17   #35
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
People keep mentioning these "tough" questions.. Yet when asked what these questions are no one replies... Please, if you have any suggestions on what you would like to see asked, either post here or email me [email protected] with them and I will add them to the list for my team to use.
There isnt a basis for tough questions that can be used throughout interviews. What is required is for the person conducting the interview to dig abit into history of 'less covered' events for the person they are interviewing.

There are plenty of various seedy events I could be attributed in. For example:

Interviewer: So Zhil, during the end of round 5 and afterwards there were claims made against you for 'selling out' some particular Wrath members, forcing some of the ex-Wrath to join Xanadu in a campaign against Fury ever since, how do you explain these accusations?

Me: <give some answer>

I end my example here.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 10:04   #36
Big Brother is Watching

1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
I
I am pro-Fury though, always have been. r3 wasnt a random universe either - you had the choice to stick with your r2 galaxy. Whilst I'm sure account swapping happened, (I didnt participate in any myself and was not offered anything - even though I was in a weak position for Fury), you are confusing Fury's r2 position to actual cheating. Fury took advantage of the lack of true randomization after a certain point of cluster positioning - this is why Fury had strong clusters (I cant remember the exact cluster, was it C36 or C34?) - so when Fury kept together for r3, they were all put roughly together yet again for r3 thus resulting in another Fury fortress cluster.
Don't get me started.

:E
1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 10:51   #37
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984
Don't get me started.

:E
Im much more inclined to believe Cayl and Sid than someone like you.

Maybe because neither have any reason to lie and both nolonger have any vested interest in the game and were in a much greater capacity to know what they themselves did along with their alliance.

PM me if you wish to discuss this further, so we dont hijack the thread.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:29   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
People keep mentioning these "tough" questions.. Yet when asked what these questions are no one replies...
Possibly because it actually needs to be applicable to the person being asked, and is meaningless out of this context?

It's not like there's some generic template 'tough' question you can ask everyone, ffs.

Except 'Do you still have sexual relations with sheep, yes or no?', possibly.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:38   #39
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

just an idea that sprung to mind while reading this thread, on questioning technique and probing the intervieee with "hard" or tricky questions.

Fact is no single person or interviewer in this commuitee knows everything about alliances or prominate players. However, togeather the members of this community know it all.

Therfore why not have an annoucment on Monday.

i.e Next weeks interview will be with the HC of Fury (instert current nick here)

Then on the interviews page (which includes all past interviews) you have submit your question link. These question will be off course submitted anoymously. Then the interviewer filters through the questions in preperation for the interview.

I'm sure well have lies told by the person being interviewed in some cases. Therfore allow anyone to post comments on the interview. You may just have a fury memeber submit a question they know fury acted illegally or un honourible and when fury deny they did it, that person who submitted the question can then go public with their facts in the comments section of the interview.

Not sure if this explains what I'm getting at here, but I beleieve it will make much more interesting reading, and at the same time give the community an input to the interview and allow them to comment on the responces. Fun for everyone I beleive

Hope this is off help anyways.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:44   #40
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
I am pro-Fury though, always have been. r3 wasnt a random universe either - you had the choice to stick with your r2 galaxy. Whilst I'm sure account swapping happened, (I didnt participate in any myself and was not offered anything - even though I was in a weak position for Fury), you are confusing Fury's r2 position to actual cheating. Fury took advantage of the lack of true randomization after a certain point of cluster positioning - this is why Fury had strong clusters (I cant remember the exact cluster, was it C36 or C34?) - so when Fury kept together for r3, they were all put roughly together yet again for r3 thus resulting in another Fury fortress cluster. .
Nah while the r2 events played a part in the whole fortress there was an account swapping tactic employed once the option to stay in our galaxies was announced. My galaxy saw around 10 of us decide to stay so we were merged with another galaxy to make up the numbers. The first thing this galaxy decided to make clear to us was that 4 of them were Fury Execs and another couple of them were Fury members and if we didnt do what they said they would make our life a misery. Now when you have people like me and Hinch in a galaxy such threats arent a good idea, we are both fairly stubburn and we had control of enough galaxy members to be able to dig our heals in. This caused them to get fairly pissed off, so much so that he fell he blurted out how they had all landed in the galaxy, you see the galaxy that merged into ours was one that contained just a couple of Fury members in r2, but when the ability to stay in a galaxy was announced a deal was hatched with people wanting to leave this galaxy to instead choose to stay and then swap accounts with others (including the fury execs).

Anyway will hopefully talk about this incedent in more detail in the Interview that chef has asked to carry out with me for the 'newsletter'. *CHEF THIS IS A HINT FOR A QUESTION *
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:52   #41
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
just an idea that sprung to mind while reading this thread, on questioning technique and probing the intervieee with "hard" or tricky questions.

Fact is no single person or interviewer in this commuitee knows everything about alliances or prominate players. However, togeather the members of this community know it all.

Therfore why not have an annoucment on Monday.

i.e Next weeks interview will be with the HC of Fury (instert current nick here)

Then on the interviews page (which includes all past interviews) you have submit your question link. These question will be off course submitted anoymously. Then the interviewer filters through the questions in preperation for the interview.

I'm sure well have lies told by the person being interviewed in some cases. Therfore allow anyone to post comments on the interview. You may just have a fury memeber submit a question they know fury acted illegally or un honourible and when fury deny they did it, that person who submitted the question can then go public with their facts in the comments section of the interview.

Not sure if this explains what I'm getting at here, but I beleieve it will make much more interesting reading, and at the same time give the community an input to the interview and allow them to comment on the responces. Fun for everyone I beleive

Hope this is off help anyways.
The problem with this imho is simply that you can have a list of the most probing questions possible on each person but unless you know all the 'facts' or 'rumoured facts' ect the interviewer cant really use these questions to the full effect. In rl for example you generally dont get interviewers going around the office asking others what they want to ask, well atleast not in the really probing ones. Instead its a matter of actually spending time investigating the person before hand, talking to others about them, getting the inside scoop ect. Its only when you have that kind of knowledge that you can really ask the right questions
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 16:10   #42
Big Brother is Watching

1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold1984 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Im much more inclined to believe Cayl and Sid than someone like you.

Maybe because neither have any reason to lie and both nolonger have any vested interest in the game and were in a much greater capacity to know what they themselves did along with their alliance.

PM me if you wish to discuss this further, so we dont hijack the thread.

Someone like me? I see...

I have no reason to, heh, lie - Nor do I have any vested interest in the game.

No interest in discussing this further with someone like you ;)
1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 17:57   #43
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Well this is turning into a bloody nice thread...I give up, I'll try to do my best, sorry if that doesn't please you all.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 18:20   #44
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Well this is turning into a bloody nice thread...I give up, I'll try to do my best, sorry if that doesn't please you all.
I have to wonder WTF is up with you, I dont see any one having a go at you, theres constructive critism in the thread (mainly aimed at the writers and not yourself) but that it. Certainly nothing to warrent throwing a hissy fit
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 20:21   #45
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Wakey I wasn't throwing what you call a hissy fit and nothing is up with me at all, so you can stop wondering about that.
I was also refering to others arguing in this thread, not the majority of it's contents.
I was just saying I'll do the best I can with my team but no doubt it won't please you all.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:42   #46
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Nah while the r2 events played a part in the whole fortress there was an account swapping tactic employed once the option to stay in our galaxies was announced. My galaxy saw around 10 of us decide to stay so we were merged with another galaxy to make up the numbers. The first thing this galaxy decided to make clear to us was that 4 of them were Fury Execs and another couple of them were Fury members and if we didnt do what they said they would make our life a misery. Now when you have people like me and Hinch in a galaxy such threats arent a good idea, we are both fairly stubburn and we had control of enough galaxy members to be able to dig our heals in. This caused them to get fairly pissed off, so much so that he fell he blurted out how they had all landed in the galaxy, you see the galaxy that merged into ours was one that contained just a couple of Fury members in r2, but when the ability to stay in a galaxy was announced a deal was hatched with people wanting to leave this galaxy to instead choose to stay and then swap accounts with others (including the fury execs).

Anyway will hopefully talk about this incedent in more detail in the Interview that chef has asked to carry out with me for the 'newsletter'. *CHEF THIS IS A HINT FOR A QUESTION *
Perhaps Sid will come online to attest this, until then I can do nothing except say the following:

No comment.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:53   #47
wakey
Hamster

Cryptic is the best man to get to speak about it, he can also tell you about how he ran off like a spoilt brat when I outsmarted him to get GC because he was upset that his plan to get control of the galaxy failed
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 02:53   #48
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps Sid will come online to attest this, until then I can do nothing except say the following:

No comment.
heh time for some more controversy ...

I can't help having a little smile whenever those loyal former Fury pple tend to be over-respectful for great old Sid. Lines like "we can't comment cause Sid was the big guy ..." sounds so .... noble

Little newsflash though, and no disrespect, but he's just a man, a person, who has to eat and drink like all of us (except maybe zhukov, we really don't know what he is). It's ok to speak well about a player, but you're all treating him like some sort of Hero, or a God ...

Then again, that's your right, but it's also my right to have my little fun and laughing when I see such posts, replies or whatever

Zhil, nothing personal, just some harmless thoughts of me. You are after all one if not the most loyal Fury member ...

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 06:04   #49
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
heh time for some more controversy ...

I can't help having a little smile whenever those loyal former Fury pple tend to be over-respectful for great old Sid. Lines like "we can't comment cause Sid was the big guy ..." sounds so .... noble

Little newsflash though, and no disrespect, but he's just a man, a person, who has to eat and drink like all of us (except maybe zhukov, we really don't know what he is). It's ok to speak well about a player, but you're all treating him like some sort of Hero, or a God ...

Then again, that's your right, but it's also my right to have my little fun and laughing when I see such posts, replies or whatever

Zhil, nothing personal, just some harmless thoughts of me. You are after all one if not the most loyal Fury member ...

rgds Kj
Not really, I respectfully do not know about Fury during that era as well as I would have liked. Oh I know alot of things that many others don't but I don't rate myself as high as a c7r Executive.

You would be amused in how Fury worked, but quite frankly the reason I back down on board discussions is because I simply dont have the evidence or knowledge to continue with them. Early Fury is undocumented and only Sid has the 'full story' for Fury during then.

Sad but true. That's why I've always been one of the main people attempting to push for a Fury history.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 12:05   #50
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Lets try and keep this on the topic of the newsletter please. All this old Fury talk is very interesting, but if you want to continue the discussion go and make a new thread about it on AD.