User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

View Poll Results: What should be the name for Rnd11
Evolution 19 8.15%
The Art of War 6 2.58%
Renaissance 20 8.58%
The Promised Land 13 5.58%
New Frontiers 21 9.01%
The Struggle Within 62 26.61%
Beyond The Forgotten 10 4.29%
A Legend Reborn 66 28.33%
Zenith 3 1.29%
Divided loyalties 13 5.58%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 14:58   #51
[Blackhawk]
Insomnia

[Blackhawk] is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Planetarion Name Competition

if PA was as earlier it would be The art of war.
Now with the new stuff it is aStruggle within as it is not so good. people have to do something!
[Blackhawk] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 18:42   #52
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road

Looks like A Legacy reborn has creaped into the lead
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:00   #53
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmulian
Looks like A Legacy reborn has creaped into the lead
*Legend :P

(but Legacy is also good )

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:12   #54
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

karm.... i was just wondering if you agree that if you pick the most popular names you risk getting the least creative?

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:40   #55
Deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
karm.... i was just wondering if you agree that if you pick the most popular names you risk getting the least creative?
explain that one to me again... it involves some sort of bot right?

How can the pa team/reps choices be the 'least creative' ones? Are we all mindless boring morons or something?

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 19:47   #56
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

k guys.. i liked 'the struggle within' better than 'a legend reborn'

the first one sounds more intriguing
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:30   #57
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant
explain that one to me again... it involves some sort of bot right?

How can the pa team/reps choices be the 'least creative' ones? Are we all mindless boring morons or something?
The way karm described it was that he took the ones from people who had sent the most in, which is a rather crap form of quality control.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:39   #58
Deviant

hmmm, now i'm not sure. I'll ask Karm about it.

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:03   #59
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

the list that pa team and pa reps saw, were the ones that were 1 popular choices
2 less shit than the 200 i binned (we had some very very very poor ones)
though no jokes about PAXO/PAXI

the list of 300 was then narrowed down to 20 by the reps and pateam
the top 10 of which are now on the poll
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:36   #60
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Oh .. sry Karm

I thought what you ment by "most popular" where the ones which appeared most often.

My appologies

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:41   #61
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

oh wait, you are saying that (just realized)

that doesnt sound like a great way to determine the choices because just because a lot of people sent in the same choices doesnt make those choices creative..

And my Planetarion Paxi wasnt a joke. It has PA, the abreviations for Planetarion, and XI the round in roman numerals . Planetarion PAXI was an alliteration.

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 23:02   #62
Deviant

Planetarion Paxi... dude PA = Planetarion, so you're saying: Planetarion Planetarion XI.

moo

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 23:04   #63
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

yeah.. but it you would say P A X I you would say Paxi... ;-) then it would stand for PA .. it would be PAXI difference <.>

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 23:52   #64
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
yeah.. but it you would say P A X I you would say Paxi... ;-) then it would stand for PA .. it would be PAXI difference <.>
Planetarion Planetarion XI still has alliteration.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 00:29   #65
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
that doesnt sound like a great way to determine the choices because just because a lot of people sent in the same choices doesnt make those choices creative..
Perhaps not, but it makes them popular. Top 40 music isn't marketed because it's creative, but because it sells.
Quote:
And my Planetarion Paxi wasnt a joke. It has PA, the abreviations for Planetarion, and XI the round in roman numerals . Planetarion PAXI was an alliteration.
Planetairon PAXI is double, it's already the abbreviation for the round by default (go go gadget creativity), it doesn't provide the round with a unique name either. Unless "paxi" is some super secret sci-fi word that I don't know the meaning of.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 00:30   #66
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Leshy

no, and that wasnt a great name.. i was just saying that it wasnt a joke.. heh.

Good point about the first thing you said (too lazy to quote)

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 00:33   #67
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

i should have been more clear that i wasnt defending it as a great name.. just as it not being a joke.. Karm thought it was a joke.. .. the name i thought was the best i gave was PA String Theory or XI Advance

i happy w/ the list that was created anyhow.. i was just wondering the negative aspects of choosing a name based on how many times it was submitted, and leshy explained why it was a good idea to do it that way. Kudos Leshy.

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 01:45   #68
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
the name i thought was the best i gave was PA String Theory
Seriously.

That is the worst name for anything ever.

It's like calling it 'PA Photoelectric Effect'
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 01:47   #69
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You've managed to fit Photoelectric Effect into two posts recently, on which you should be congratulated.

Though with my level of physics and going along this truely, monumentally shit naming convention started out with this 'String Theory' bollocks, I'm afraid anything beyond 'Planetarion: Rolling a marble down a slope' is unlikely =(
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 01:54   #70
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
You've managed to fit Photoelectric Effect into two posts recently, on which you should be congratulated.
It was a bet with nod.

Not really, I'm just namedropping to appear cool.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 01:56   #71
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah well Nod told me to Irons you that Pavil Cubass Snow.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 02:08   #72
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Yeah well Nod told me to Irons you that Pavil Cubass Snow.
Dude, I was like Messiah SynSid Idler
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 09:37   #73
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Quote:
i should have been more clear that i wasnt defending it as a great name.. just as it not being a joke.. Karm thought it was a joke.. .. the name i thought was the best i gave was PA String Theory or XI Advance

when did i say that string theory was a joke

you will find that it made the list of 300 presented to the themes

and you were not the first person to suggest it, so in the event it won you would not get the prize anyway
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 09:38   #74
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Mer
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 11:02   #75
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

"The struggle within" is a great name for the round. thats what I voted.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 11:44   #76
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmulian
you will find that it made the list of 300 presented to the themes
That doesn't bode well for the average quality.

Of course, the ones listed don't bode well to the average quality.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 15:22   #77
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point

So anyway, shouldn't the runner's up get some kind of prize too? If the namer gets 5 credits, perhaps a single credit for the rest of the top 10, maybe 2 credits for the names that made top 5. I hate to think of all those that put so much thought into their name only to just miss out. A consolation of some kind is surely in order, yup.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 15:59   #78
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

It's not like coming up with names is hard work.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 16:24   #79
Blazde
Elysium

Maybe not for your calibre of names it isn't, but I had to use a Dictionary and a Thesaurus to figure mine out.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 17:05   #80
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazde
Maybe not for your calibre of names it isn't, but I had to use a Dictionary and a Thesaurus to figure mine out.
All that shows is you have a poor knowledge of english
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 17:10   #81
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So you should be given credits because you typed in http://www.dictionary.com and did a few searches to see how the name you thought of was spelled?
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 17:22   #82
Blazde
Elysium

Yus.

Just give me a credit damnit.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:12   #83
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Karm.

A. Im not giving you a hard time, its more mis-understanding..

B. I didnt think that you said string theory was a joke. I said that Planetarion PAXI wasnt a joke, but that it wasnt one of my better names... but that instead, Planetarion String Theory was.. heh.

I hope that clearifies?

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:13   #84
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
So you should be given credits because you typed in http://www.dictionary.com and did a few searches to see how the name you thought of was spelled?
It's easier to use www.google.co.uk , I find.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:21   #85
Deviant

Quote:
so did i.

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:25   #86
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
It's easier to use www.google.co.uk , I find.
That doesn't have a Thesaurus
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 12:33   #87
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
That doesn't have a Thesaurus
I know ALL WORDS
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 13:25   #88
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOfThis
i'd just like to point out the obvious here. PA Team should choose as a poll just decided who has the most pa friends to get their suggestion to win so they get the free account etc
[12:17:24] <[Blackhawk]> vote The Struggle Within on the PA R11 name competition!! NOW

Proving my point, this system is flawed, PA-Squad should choose
BoredOfThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 13:27   #89
[Blackhawk]
Insomnia

[Blackhawk] is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an struggle within becuse of all the people that has quit, what shall the creators do?
And there is an struggle within becuse of all the new noobs that want to be in the top or want to do good! A legend Reborn? Who? not some new! it has to be some of the old players then. Then a change "an old legend reborn" !!!!!!!! ???? purhaps?
[Blackhawk] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 14:19   #90
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

The idea is for people to choose their favourite, not to do their mates a favour and vote for the one they came up with, or the ones their mates think is best.
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 14:50   #91
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The idea is for people to choose their favourite, not to do their mates a favour and vote for the one they came up with, or the ones their mates think is best.
That is the idea but that is not what is happening.
BoredOfThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 15:05   #92
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOfThis
That is the idea but that is not what is happening.
You're assuming that he came up with the struggle within, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Blackhawk]
There is an struggle within becuse of all the people that has quit, what shall the creators do?
And there is an struggle within becuse of all the new noobs that want to be in the top or want to do good! A legend Reborn? Who? not some new! it has to be some of the old players then. Then a change "an old legend reborn" !!!!!!!! ???? purhaps?
And your sig's almost twice as long as it should be.
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 17:08   #93
Bu||seye
Carebear

Bu||seye is an unknown quantity at this point

I think "Planetarion: Renaissance" sounds best and most promising. So there goes my vote, even though that option is like almost 40 votes behind...
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 23:07   #94
Deviant

Quote:
Did [Blackhawk] come up with it?

Unread 31 Jan 2004, 23:14   #95
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant
Did [Blackhawk] come up with it?
Not a clue, but he is going around IRC telling people what to vote :P
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 23:47   #96
Blazde
Elysium

Clearly a disqualification is in order
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 00:06   #97
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Planetarion Name Competition

Quote:
If they don't have a favorite, or if they don't care, why not vote for the one their friend wants?

And speaking of irregularities I'm wondering why, of all the entries, The Struggle Within is the only one in italics?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 00:25   #98
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

on my computer, Tacticus.. evolution is the only one with itallics.. O.o

Unread 1 Feb 2004, 00:47   #99
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
And speaking of irregularities I'm wondering why, of all the entries, The Struggle Within is the only one in italics?
The answer you voted is displayed in italics
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 00:49   #100
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

the one is italics is whichever one you voted for