User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:33   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Cheap as (Silocon) Chips laptops

i require a (preferable) 2.8GHz Pentium 4 laptop with 512Mb memoy and an nVidia GeForce 4 graphics card for under £600. Is it possible and where can i get one?

EDIT Thanks Chubby Checker /EDIT
We shall remember them.

Last edited by Demon Dave; 26 Nov 2003 at 20:39.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:38   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cheap as Chips laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i require a (preferable) 2.8GHz Pentium 4 laptop with 512Mb memoy and an nVidia GeForce 4 graphics card for under £600. Is it possible and where can i get one?
dell outlet
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:39   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Cheap as silicon chips!
lol!

Dell apparently have cut prices a lot recently. You might want to give them a go. Dunno really, I've never bought a laptop.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 19:42   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dell's LOWEST cost laptop is £700, with a celeron 2.2, 128Mb of RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card.

Basically, with laptops, find the cost of the base pc, then double.

The one you specify would cost nearly that amount if it were a desktop (including monitor).

In addition, bear in mind that, for laptops, the GeForce 4 is basically top of the range. The standard stuff are 32Mb on board chipsets.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:10   #5
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Since when do chips cost £600? They cost like £3 here with fish.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:20   #6
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point

walmart is planning on coming out with its own brand name laptop with prices starting at $750. ;-)
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:22   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I know that Alienware is expensive, but one of the specification given (with minimum everything else) would still cost well over £2000.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:33   #8
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

You dont get cheap laptops, unless they are about as good as a pile of shit.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:54   #9
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Dell's LOWEST cost laptop is £700, with a celeron 2.2, 128Mb of RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card.

Basically, with laptops, find the cost of the base pc, then double.

The one you specify would cost nearly that amount if it were a desktop (including monitor).

In addition, bear in mind that, for laptops, the GeForce 4 is basically top of the range. The standard stuff are 32Mb on board chipsets.
i said dell outlet

if you don't know about it i can't explain that well but it's part of their shop where they offer massive discounts on items on a one-off basis

the discounts are up to about 600 quid though but it's very hard to find one because as soon as they add it it's snapped up by someone

if you sort by price and refresh a lot you might find one

protip: the ones with the price in black and no obvious discount are the best cos whe you add them to basket the discount is massive, you can find them by looking for out of place values when sorted by price
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:00   #10
Ragnarak

Latitude™ C640 1.8GHz Pentium® 4 Processor 14.1 XGA Display
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional (SP3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Price £1,234.37
Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional (SP3)
Memory: 256MB 266MHz DDR Memory ( 1X256 )
Hard Disk Drive: 30GB IDE Hard Drive (9.5mm)
NoteBook Screen: 14.1 XGA TFT Display
Modem: Internal Modem Daughtercard 56K
Internal Modem Daughtercard 56K
CD ROM Drive: 24X IDE CD-ROM Drive (Media Bay Module)
MISC: 8 Cell Primary Battery

£700 "promotional discount" gives that as £534.37

Obviously not what you were looking for but i found it in seconds, if you spend a few days or so looking you'll find a bargain. I know people who've found comparable systems to what you're looking for, give or take a bit.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:02   #11
Ragnarak

Inspiron 5100 (System Identifier. 04LH2J5H)
Dell Inspiron 5100 Notebook: Intel® Pentium®4 Processor, 2.8GHz, 533MHz Front Side Bus, 14 inch XGA Display
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Price £1,015.20
Promotion Discount (£400.00)
Discounted Price £615.19
Promotion End Date December 1 2003 06:00 AM Europe/London
Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory: 256MB DIMM (266MHZ) (1X256MB)
Floppy Drive: External USB 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Hard Disk Drive: 30GB(4200rpm) IDE Hard Drive
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 W/32MB SDRAM
NoteBook Screen: 14.1 XGA TFT Display
Modem: Internal 56K Modem
Network Interface Card: Internal 10/100 Ethernet LAN on Motherboard
DVD Drive: 8X DVD Drive
Software: Dell Paint Shop Pro Standard Edition
AOL, Dellnet + Tiscali UK ISP Combo
Microsoft® Works® 7.0
Dell Picture Studio Image Expert - Standard
Norton AntiVirus 2003 (90 Day Trial)
MISC: 94WATT/HOUR 12 Cell Battery

£615 for the above and it wasn't one of the big discount ones.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:24   #12
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road

acer travelmate series
i have a 2.0 P4-mobility with 512 ram, Ati 128MB radeon mobility with a DVD/CD-RW(52x)

think its about 650
alternatively look at notebooksuk.com(i think it is) i know the people that run it.. they are reasonable - but anything you will buy is likely to be second hand
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 22:30   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Cheap as (Silocon) Chips laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
EDIT Thanks Chubby Checker /EDIT
But... ragnarak posted first, and subsequently in more detail.....
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 23:01   #14
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to your local pub
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 23:07   #15
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quazi is like Nazi

The New Strawberry Fuhrerlatte, only £3.65!
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 23:21   #16
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Credit where credit's due!

(ie to me)
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 03:04   #17
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Blah blah blah ... har har har BOOM BOOM
I thought you left?
I told you you'd be back, but ohhh no, you told me I was wrong.
Hah. Tom wins.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 10:32   #18
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I thought you left?
I told you you'd be back, but ohhh no, you told me I was wrong.
Hah. Tom wins.
He leaves more often than an Eastenders Regular.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 10:35   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjC
He leaves more often than an Eastenders Regular.
Once?
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 10:38   #20
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

i was refering to the "cheap as silicone chips" in the title, which chubby came up with
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 12:20   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

.tv.

There was a shit tv channel.