User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Feb 2005, 02:48   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Internet Grammar.

I'm hardly the worlds leading grammar expert, I know.
But, am I the only one who gets wound up by this level of deviance?

Quote:
yeah defo we r so close. we hav this connection we hav such a laff together and stuff and thats y dont wana get bak together wiv her cos was cool being in a relationship wiv her but b4 it gets too serious cut it out cos wouldnt wana lose her as a friend
Reminds me of this.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 04:12   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Internet Grammar.

Get an older girlfriend.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 04:34   #3
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

fo' shizzle
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 08:22   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I blame hip-hop.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 10:21   #5
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

it makes me want to rip my own arm off and beat the typist to death
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 10:24   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Would the person typing happen to be a 14 year old youth?
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 10:58   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi

yeah
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 12:23   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:

Although I completely agree with your sentiment, typing every damn post without capitals and points is almost (well still far off..) in the same league of annoyance as writing like a complete retard like shown in the original post.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 13:01   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

to be honest capitalization is nowhere near as fundamental as 'I LUV U 4-EVAH!' errors
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 13:24   #10
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
to be honest capitalization is nowhere near as fundamental as 'I LUV U 4-EVAH!' errors
But slagging off someones typing with a sentence that includes no capitalisation is all very "pot-kettle-black".

The rules are there for a reason people!
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 13:27   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Noght fer fro thilke paleys honurable
Ther as this markys shoop his mariage,
Ther stood a throop, of site delitable,
200 In which that povre folk of that village
Hadden hir beestes and hir herbergage,
And of hir lobour tooke hir sustenance,
After that the erthe yaf hem habundance.

Amonges thise povre folk ther dwelte a man
205 Which that was holden povrest of hem alle;
But hye God somtyme senden kan
His grace into a litel oxes stalle
Janicula men of that throop hym calle.
A doghter hadde he, fair ynogh to sighte,
210 And Grisildis this yonge mayden highte.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 13:39   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
But slagging off someones typing with a sentence that includes no capitalisation is all very "pot-kettle-black".

The rules are there for a reason people!
Typing without capitals or punctuation is laziness. The quote in the OP was near-incomprehensible nonsense that didn't actually use real words.

There's a world of difference there.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 14:25   #13
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

The offender is a 19 year old male.
He's studying Spanish, so you would've thought he'd take the time out to master his native language first.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 14:35   #14
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quote:
ditto. Typing without capitalization is just laziness; this is sheer idiocy.

edit: Almost as annoying as the original quote are you're/your, they're/their and to/too errors, and mistakes such as "I could of done" and "you are a looser".

Last edited by Nondescript Human; 18 Feb 2005 at 20:14.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 14:44   #15
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Fo'real hommies
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 15:09   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
It is of less importance in text made up of smaller structures, such as IRC lines or forum replies of one sentence. As soon as you start writing more than one sentence (or for that matter, a very long and complicated sentence), capitalization and punctuation become an absolute necessity.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 15:17   #17
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Typing without capitals or punctuation is laziness. The quote in the OP was near-incomprehensible nonsense that didn't actually use real words.

There's a world of difference there.
typing without capitals or correct punctuation can render any paragraph with correct spelling and use of actual english words incomprehensible as can be clearly demonstrated i mean its an easy thing to see that once you get into it the effect can be quite annoying whike you can acutally figure out what is being said and generally where sentences actually start finish and where breaks should be its takes as much effort to read and put together as does reading that abbreviated crap that was posted already you can generally work out whats going on but it requires too much thought capitals and punctuation make things a hell of alot easier to read overall so the excuse of lazyness is no excuse at all if you deride the guy for not typing correctly then you have to deride people for not bothering to capitalise and punctuate their typing
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 15:27   #18
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I blame hip-hop.
You bitter old man you!
Always blame the youngsters.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 16:24   #19
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the lack of capitalisation comes from our typing experience. ms word does it for us thus we have grown reliant upon such assistance.

I confess. i hardly ever capitalise.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 16:25   #20
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

I blame idiocy.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:07   #21
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
the lack of capitalisation comes from our typing experience. ms word does it for us thus we have grown reliant upon such assistance.

I confess. i hardly ever capitalise.

Burn in hell.

I use Word every day in work,8 hours a day and I don't forget to capitalise. You're just looking for excuses.

There are none!
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:10   #22
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
typing without capitals or correct punctuation can render any paragraph with correct spelling and use of actual english words incomprehensible as can be clearly demonstrated i mean its an easy thing to see that once you get into it the effect can be quite annoying whike you can acutally figure out what is being said and generally where sentences actually start finish and where breaks should be its takes as much effort to read and put together as does reading that abbreviated crap that was posted already you can generally work out whats going on but it requires too much thought capitals and punctuation make things a hell of alot easier to read overall so the excuse of lazyness is no excuse at all if you deride the guy for not typing correctly then you have to deride people for not bothering to capitalise and punctuate their typing
i wasn't talking about blocks of text. in a block of text, it's on a par. in one sentence, or a few sentences separated by line breaks, it's nothing.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:10   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i was explaining the sinful laziness of myself and others.

i did not seek to cast scorn on the virtue of capitalisers such as yourself
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:13   #24
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
i was explaining the sinful laziness of myself and others.

i did not seek to cast scorn on the virtue of capitalisers such as yourself

See that you don't. Or else. Or else what? Well the 'International League of Pedants' will get you, that's what!
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:17   #25
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i wasn't talking about blocks of text. in a block of text, it's on a par. in one sentence, or a few sentences separated by line breaks, it's nothing.
Adding that little qualification then your statement seems reasonable enough. But you didn't say that before.

And I notice you used punctuation in your little sentence too. At least that's something.

By the way, in case people are wondering why I seemingly have such a problem with this (and I'm only half serious), it's because I'm forced to sit here every day and read other peoples emails asking for technical support.

This means dealing with people who just cannot type the English language correctly. Or who don't bother to use capitalisations or punctuation. Or who type ALL IN CAPS BECAUSE THIS ISNT ANNOYING AT ALL. etc.

If anything this job has made me loathe these people.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:17   #26
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I use Word every day in work,8 hours a day and I don't forget to capitalise.
Poor use of comma.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:18   #27
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

The best rule is to manually capitalise proper nouns but not the beginning of sentences. You can always capitalise the first letter in a sentence automatically and thus capitalising just because your computer doesn't do it for you is destroying the distinction between words that would otherwise be distinct. It's personal preference whether to capitalise "I", computers should render it capitalised for you. If they don't it's the computer's fault.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 17:32   #28
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You need to bear in mind that the internet, along with SMS, has created a new paradigm for written communication. The advent of realtime (or almost realtime) messaging has caused writing speed to become very important to the average person in day-to-day life, for perhaps the first time in human history. It is naive not to expect major changes in the language as a result of this, especially in a language such as English which is full of idiosyncratic spellings, and redundant letters (objectively speaking, 'u' and 'r' make a lot more sense than 'you' and 'are'). While the rapidity of this change does sometimes cause people's writing to become almost incomprehensible (although in this case I doubt it IS incomprehensible - I would imagine that someone who is used to reading that dialect daily, ie those that actually use it, would have no problem with it. Most Americans would have trouble understanding Glaswegian dialect for the same reasons), these kind of changes are probably going to become more and more widespread within the next 20 years whether you like it or not. Punctuation on the other hand almost certainly wont die out, since unlike longwinded spellings and arbitrary grammatical rules, it is fairly essential for understanding longer pieces of text.

Three everpresent issues relating to languages are that 1) languages will always evolve, 2) different cultural groups will create their own dialect of the main language, and 3) a lot of people, particularly those in the older generation, will be unhappy when the above things occur, feelingl that the language is being 'ruined'.

Last edited by Nodrog; 18 Feb 2005 at 17:38.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 22:45   #29
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nod just wrote quite a long paragraph pointing out the obvious

I'm just waiting for us to start accepting "doubleplus good" as the norm...
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 22:50   #30
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

I'm going to set up a group to further the cause of grammar nazis everywhere, I think I'll call it "People for the Regulation of Internet Grammar and Spelling" (or PRIGS, as it will be known).
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 23:15   #31
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts

just try and correct me all the time then you will get your wound up shizzle fs
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 23:19   #32
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
I'm going to set up a group to further the cause of grammar nazis everywhere, I think I'll call it "People for the Regulation of Internet Grammar and Spelling" (or PRIGS, as it will be known).
Let me know where I can sign up.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 00:57   #33
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I have several friends, who, despite being reasonably well spoken, and nowhere near as common as me, in the real world, type like utter ****ing morons when presented with a keyboard.

It is especially worrying as often they are involved in sending work related emails to the regional manager, who is probably presented with such wonders as 'da figerz for 2day' and 'luking 4 cover'
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 01:50   #34
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

That's pretty inexcusable tbh.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 02:38   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It is merely a difference of connections; for many people, the "modern" communications systems (mobile telephone, internet) are of the same brush, because, to the untrained eye, they share so many similarities. Many people would not bad an eyelid at a badly written text message, and, therefore, it is assumed that it must be true for email. I doubt they would ever consider writing a letter in that idiom, but then a letter is something physical, something distinct.

They must be educated, with fire by candlelight.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 02:44   #36
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it's astonishing how the interweb can turn the most reasonable person into a complete retard.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 04:25   #37
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
ma nizzle
y'all mother****in' bizzles be in mah shizzles nigga for reals and shit.. y'all bettah be off mah mother****in' back y'all shits, youknowMsayng? biznitch??

anyway, i never capitalize on any internet forums, sms messages, irc, most emails, etc. because of the informality of it all - although i follow strict grammar rules on formal emails, letters, and instructions because they are worthy of hitting that extra shift key just to attain professionalism

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 06:51   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Capitalisation is an imporant part of my identity. If my grammar wasn't exemplary I'd feel like I was letting down the wider forum community.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 10:25   #39
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Capitalisation is an important part of my identity. If my grammar wasn't exemplary I'd feel like I was letting down the wider forum community.
It's a shame about the spelling though.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 16:03   #40
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I generally spell and use grammar correctly, although it's not something I particularly think about. It happens automatically. In my opinion people that type like shits are often harder to take seriously, even if their point is valid.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 16:11   #41
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
it's astonishing how the interweb can turn the most reasonable person into a complete retard.
quoted for absolute truth

i tend not to capitalise anymore, it's not that important, although i do use punctuation, as i like my sentences to make sense (roughly anyway)
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 17:53   #42
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Capitalisation is an imporant part of my identity. If my grammar wasn't exemplary I'd feel like I was letting down the wider forum community.
If you knew the difference between the indicative and past subjunctive moods, then you wouldn't be letting down the wider forum community *

* Ending such a persnickety grammar nazi post with a smiley is probably immoral, I fully expect to burn in Hell as a result.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 18:09   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My posts almost never make sense since I frequently miss words out (or put them in the wrong order) due to the way I write. Even when I re-read my posts I'm oblivious to these types of mistakes unless a certain amount of time has passed. At work if I'm writing an important e-mail or letter I tend to draft it in the morning and then re-read it in the afternoon (otherwise my mind seems to fill in the blanks subconsciously).

I like to use capitalisation however, not because I am interested in whether it makes things easier to understand, but it just looks nicer. Similarly, I avoid some abbreviations for aesthetic reasons :
"wot r u doing 2nite?" is just as easy to understand as "What are you doing tonight?" but the latter looks more beautiful to me.

In the context of this forum, I personally get a great deal of pleasure out of reading "beautiful" posts. People like Jonny, Tact, Leshy, Jakiri and Manson, etc write in this form more often than others and so I enjoy their posts more (irrespective of whether I agree with or like what they are saying).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 18:09   #44
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
I generally spell and use grammar correctly, although it's not something I particularly think about. It happens automatically. In my opinion people that type like shits are often harder to take seriously, even if their point is valid.

More than that, people who use copious amouts of smilies usually render a valid post impossible to take seriously

See?
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 18:36   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veX
More than that, people who use copious amouts of smilies usually render a valid post impossible to take seriously

See?
A copious amount of smilies doesn't really break the flow if used correctly; perhaps if you hadn't put random :xmas: smilies in the middle of unrelated sentences you would have better luck
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:11   #46
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
In the context of this forum, I personally get a great deal of pleasure out of reading "beautiful" posts. People like Jonny, Tact, Leshy, Jakiri and Manson, etc write in this form more often than others and so I enjoy their posts more (irrespective of whether I agree with or like what they are saying).
My posts are beautiful like pink snow, on a warm summer's morning.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:24   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helveticus
It's a shame about the spelling though.
The mistake was deliberate.

Humour on the internet is a difficult thing

Quote:
If you knew the difference between the indicative and past subjunctive moods, then you wouldn't be letting down the wider forum community
What are you, gay?

YES THAT WAS ALSO DELIBERATE DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY JOKES YOU USELESS PACK OF NO-HOPERS.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:28   #48
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I laugh at JBG's posts to ensure success in life - fact
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:32   #49
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

There are many posts that make me laugh, but I would have to agree that Jonny's posts tend to do it more often than others. However, Dante's post in this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 20:03   #50
Weeks
Banned

Quote:
If you knew the difference between the indicative and past subjunctive moods, then you wouldn't be letting down the wider forum community *
The subjunctive is dead and buried in the English language. We express possibilities and such in other mostly non-verbal ways. There's really little point in using it. Even in French it's being used less and less, and french is a subjunctive crazy language, and god knows the subjunctive makes the french language even crazier.