User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:05   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
i was wondering

how long does it take to copy 25GB from a 7200 rpm HD to a 5400 rpm HD which is just formatted...
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:07   #2
Seb12
Traceur

Seb12 is infamous around these partsSeb12 is infamous around these parts
Re: i was wondering

Will probably take 2 hours 27 mins
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:09   #3
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

~15megs is crusie. Is the rest koen?

That's a lot of koen
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:11   #4
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Yes I have been wondering about this myself for quite some years.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:18   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

There is no real answer. The throughput of a harddisk is not only depending on its rotation speed but also on other things.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:22   #6
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Yes give us an exensive list of the number of files and their sizes and folder layout so we can calculate for a few hours
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:23   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

as SI said, the rotation speed is not the only thing which determines how fast data can go onto it

Things like the IDE interface - is it on the same cable as the other drive?
What DMA mode are both drives on
what else is using the drive(s) at the same time?
etc etc etc

the only real way to find out is to try as any answer is likely to be a guess
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:23   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I vote 20 minutes. Or an hour or something. In fact, make it a sweepstake.

Edit:
On a quick test I can shift about a gig a minute across my two drives, so I'm going back to my 20 minute guess.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:38   #9
Seb12
Traceur

Seb12 is infamous around these partsSeb12 is infamous around these parts

I am taking bets for the time length. All those who are subjected to losses must hang their head in shame and subject themselves to MacDonalds for 2 weeks.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 13:54   #10
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

they are not on the same ide cable ... i could've done that tbh
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 14:07   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Maybe you should wait a little with actually doing it. The onramp of this is just mildly erotic.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 14:56   #12
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

You will need to know the total throughput of the PC to be able to calculate this with any accuracy.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 16:27   #13
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: i was wondering

Hm, I estimate a HDD speed bewteen 15MB/s and 30MB/s. Ie. let's say 30min worst case, 14min best case.
Unfortunately I'd guess a slower speed, so say something like 25min.

Disable your virus scanner!
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 16:55   #14
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

why not just copy it and find out?
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:08   #15
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

still copying and finding out
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:18   #16
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Windows?

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 20:40   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Hm, I estimate a HDD speed bewteen 15MB/s and 30MB/s. Ie. let's say 30min worst case, 14min best case.
Unfortunately I'd guess a slower speed, so say something like 25min.

Disable your virus scanner!
15-30 MB/seconds could be about right for a 7200rpm disk.
When I was doing my internship at Océ they tested the throughput of a harddisk for a printer (normal OEM HD). The numbers did indeed vary between 15 and 30 MB/second but heavilly depended on the cluster-size of the filesystem and the size of the files that were transfered.
Thereby they were testing it on a UNIX machine.

How long have you been at it Theams?
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 08:13   #18
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

it all started 1305, so 1405 my time, when I got back from work it was almost done, took over 7 hours
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 08:16   #19
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summanus
~15megs is crusie. Is the rest koen?

That's a lot of koen

penispixels, baby.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote