User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 28 Mar 2003, 21:35   #51
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 22:13   #52
TheACE
Heroes For Life

TheACE can only hope to improve
fantastic thread

R 4 n00bie [ACID]
R 5 [+] Crusader / [BD] Member - [DUH] Triad with [HR] & [UV]
R 6 [BD] Member - [HyB] Alliance with [HR] / [Pack] Wolves - [FoS] Fusion of Seven
R 7 [WP] Member/Officer - [NewX] Alliances of [NoS], [Ely] and [Xan]
R 8 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9,5[WP] Officer
R 10 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 10,5 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 11 [1up] pe0n -> QUIT, back to RL
[Ð] Together we stand, Devided we Fall
TheACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 00:14   #53
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Something for for VOM to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
Nothing new in here, but tell me one thing:

Would you have created NAHRWEET if you could?
Depends on how much I wanted to beat you. With the sheer amount of whining VOM's been putting up - yes, I would have, just to make you all quit and take your whiny asses off to some other game.

In general, no, I consider it overkill and unfair, and so I wouldn't do it unless I really wanted you dead. *shrug* Happy now?

Ω
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 04:32   #54
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by genosse27
good thread AlbinoSquirrel

it was a scenario everyone with some brain could imagine

/me waves at cochese

Try waving at the people responsible for VOM, not the one person who voted against it.

Oh wait, you're still convinced it's all my fault, it was all my idea, and I'm the most idiotic person in Planetarion!

My goodness, someone brainwashed you nicely.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 05:13   #55
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough
u have been the one who blamed me for my opinion about allying virus and oly and u called me stupid.
U offended me personal, that's the reason why I wave to u...
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 11:38   #56
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Something for for VOM to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoSquirrel
Depends on how much I wanted to beat you. With the sheer amount of whining VOM's been putting up - yes, I would have, just to make you all quit and take your whiny asses off to some other game.
Didnt the whining come after? I asked you what u would do in their posision...

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 19:36   #57
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Something for for VOM to think about.

Quote:
Didnt the whining come after? I asked you what u would do in their posision...
The posturing came first, the whining came after. Both were worthy of death.

Ω
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 19:41   #58
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Thats the nice SQRL.

Unread 29 Mar 2003, 21:52   #59
XeroX

XeroX is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like you forgot an important factor aswell:
Olympians HC's were approaced by several alliances within the sweetnar block, Eclipse - for instance to form a block.
Though the choises fell on Virus and Madcows, instead of forming an overwhelming block that would damage PA (like sweetnar).

Common now honey - bring it on, bring it on
XeroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 22:06   #60
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Weet ally with NaR in order to eliminate the individually larger VVOMM.
While Alby and others make a number of very very good points, over which I have been spending some time in thought over myself, this is just nonsense. We were outnumbered 3:1... How does VOM get to be individually larger then than either of NAR or WEET? Do the math.
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 23:56   #61
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Something for for VOM to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eol
While Alby and others make a number of very very good points, over which I have been spending some time in thought over myself, this is just nonsense. We were outnumbered 3:1... How does VOM get to be individually larger then than either of NAR or WEET? Do the math.
Yes, in hindsight it looks ****ing stupid and unreastic, but intel is notoriously unreliable (especially this time, due to the between round circumstances) and fear is more dangerous than anything else. That said, it was probably quite clear to nar and weet that together they'd pound vvomm, even if it was a tad harsher than they thought. So yes, MrL is wrong, but that doesn't make you right.

Jester
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 00:49   #62
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Try waving at the people responsible for VOM, not the one person who voted against it.
So that makes you not responsible? Last time I checked thats not how responsability works.

oh well.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 02:13   #63
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
So that makes you not responsible? Last time I checked thats not how responsability works.

oh well.

re·spon·si·bil·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-spns-bl-t)
n. pl. re·spon·si·bil·i·ties

1. Something for which one is responsible

2. That for which anyone is responsible or accountable

I just checked, and sure enough, that's exactly how responsibility works.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 08:51   #64
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Axis_WLF

Nar versus Weet versus Vom would have been much nicer of a war than the latter. Make no mistake the other blocks who got together were scared to death of vom otherwise there was no point of their massive block. Defeat come to noone till ticks stop.
either scared or simply using the situation to justify building large blocks... who knows?

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 08:55   #65
Salomo
Commodore

Re: Something for for VOM to think about.

Quote:
2. The less obvious. VOM shot themselves in the foot with their pure galaxy tactics. Sure, it's nice in some ways, but it counts on the enemy being honorable (no offense to WEET+NAR). Japanese samurai would go out to challenge the Mongols to single combat. They'd stand and recite their lineage, all their exploits, all their skills, and challenge the Mongols. The Mongols would promptly feather him with arrows. The samurai was very honorable and very dead. Welcome to the real world.
This is not the real world though despite popular belief, so the pa-mongols could have easily just accepted the challenge of the samurai and had some fun instead of feathering him trying to win quickly. :-/

Unread 30 Mar 2003, 18:23   #66
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo
This is not the real world though despite popular belief, so the pa-mongols could have easily just accepted the challenge of the samurai and had some fun instead of feathering him trying to win quickly. :-/
Sal, that's ****tarded.

The point is that "honor" doesn't work when the enemy doesn't care. Yeah, they could have done that, but what would that have gotten them besides a lot more dead people and a warm fuzzy feeling in their heart?

Ω
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 19:45   #67
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RexDrax
It was well coordinated. like 70-90% of VVOMM got incomings at the same time.
You were all attacking vomm day in day out i agree, and with success however it was from co ordinated - the amount of piggyback incidents, number of hostiles hitting single gals at different lt's should be evidence enough of this, from what ive seen the organisation between alliances (not with an alliance) was next to none.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 04:11   #68
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAngel
You were all attacking vomm day in day out i agree, and with success however it was from co ordinated - the amount of piggyback incidents, number of hostiles hitting single gals at different lt's should be evidence enough of this, from what ive seen the organisation between alliances (not with an alliance) was next to none.
Hmmmzz....I went and re-read my post and most of this thread and I still am missing your point, sorry. Can you clarify it a bit perhaps? I must be missing it because I have been drinking a tad too much, or the sleep that is finally catching up to me.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 04:32   #69
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
Sal, that's ****tarded.

The point is that "honor" doesn't work when the enemy doesn't care. Yeah, they could have done that, but what would that have gotten them besides a lot more dead people and a warm fuzzy feeling in their heart?
more entertainment.

P.S.: you machiavelistic, unhonourable, corrupted, weasely squirrel (sorry, felt i had to include this to make the post complete etc... not used to two-words posts :-/ )

Last edited by Salomo; 31 Mar 2003 at 04:38.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 05:40   #70
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
* looks at the universe.

So now your saying that you were right to close your galaxies to neutrals even though your bitching in other threads about there being too many galaxies against you ? I hope to God you don't hold a command posistion.
US Forces could have destroyed all potential iraqi weapons of mass destructions on day 1 by covering iraq with nukes (assuming they didn't have to care about their neighbours and indeed only wanted to get rid of tzhose weapons of mass-destruction). Does that mean it was a mistake not to nuke them?

And before you start on how uncomporable these two situations are, they are comporable in the one focal aspect: Not everything that gives you victory fast and easy is good and not everything that perhaps slows down your victory or even decreases your chances of victory is bad.

Perhaps the mistake actually was made by weet and nar by not also having "pure" galaxies.

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 08:09   #71
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo
US Forces could have destroyed all potential iraqi weapons of mass destructions on day 1 by covering iraq with nukes (assuming they didn't have to care about their neighbours and indeed only wanted to get rid of tzhose weapons of mass-destruction). Does that mean it was a mistake not to nuke them?

And before you start on how uncomporable these two situations are, they are comporable in the one focal aspect: Not everything that gives you victory fast and easy is good and not everything that perhaps slows down your victory or even decreases your chances of victory is bad.

Perhaps the mistake actually was made by weet and nar by not also having "pure" galaxies.
Thats a horribly rediculous example. Comparing mass murder to mixed galaxies?

As far as it being weet and nar's mistakes, they simplied acted in the way alliances have acted for rounds and rounds. Vom decided to change policy. How exactly does that obligate weet and nar to change thier policy? Mixed gals arent nuclear weapons. (extreme measures for overwhelming victory) they the standard way of doing things.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 08:40   #72
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldnt exactly call it the standard thing to do.

Afaik in round 6 when there were 3 sides, i dont remember FLTV having any FOS\XETA players in their gals(not in my n00b gal atleast).

Id think its normal to keep galmembers within their own block, last time i checked nar\weet wasnt allied so they werent the same block.

So imo its the weet\nar gals that have gone away from ' the standard way of doing things'.

P:S XETA\FOS had mixed gals in r6(i THINK again), so in a way this round resembles r6 very much.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 13:36   #73
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Thats a horribly rediculous example. Comparing mass murder to mixed galaxies?

As far as it being weet and nar's mistakes, they simplied acted in the way alliances have acted for rounds and rounds. Vom decided to change policy. How exactly does that obligate weet and nar to change thier policy? Mixed gals arent nuclear weapons. (extreme measures for overwhelming victory) they the standard way of doing things.
The focus of that comparison was not to compare RL mass murder with in-game playing styles, but to emphasize that the fastest way of "winning" isn't allways the best.

It of course does not obligate nar/weet, but if they had used pure gals as well it might have been better for them as they wouldn't have to deal with shared galaxies anymore.
Especially for NaR it could turn out to have been a mistake not to use pure galaxies, as they'll probably loose some of their firepower due to those shared galaxies: Ofc i can't be sure on this, but judging from past experience i expect at lest 75% of the shared weet/nar galaxies to be weet dominated. That either directly takes away firepower by people too scared to still fight properly for their alliances or indirectly by people in hostile-dominated galaxies being harder to defend. Aditionally nar would have had more political flexibility, which imo is rather important for the third block.

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 16:50   #74
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
I wouldnt exactly call it the standard thing to do.

Afaik in round 6 when there were 3 sides, i dont remember FLTV having any FOS\XETA players in their gals(not in my n00b gal atleast).

Id think its normal to keep galmembers within their own block, last time i checked nar\weet wasnt allied so they werent the same block.

So imo its the weet\nar gals that have gone away from ' the standard way of doing things'.

P:S XETA\FOS had mixed gals in r6(i THINK again), so in a way this round resembles r6 very much.
Poor example that cant really be compared to the "standard" thing. FLTTV blocked FoS/Xeta from its galaxies because both blocks were hostile to it for definate. Xeta needed no words and Deus announced formally to Fury that they would be at war with FLTTV from the set-go (I remember the Deus/Fury meeting pre-round when Deus announced this). Thus there was no choice for FLTTV but to disallow members from both blocks.

It wasnt done to have pure galaxies or to have a warm fuzzy feeling in the heart - it was done purely because everyone else was hostile.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 17:14   #75
Urkki

Urkki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
It wasnt done to have pure galaxies or to have a warm fuzzy feeling in the heart - it was done purely because everyone else was hostile.
Wouldn't that have been a reason to encourage mixed gals based on old friendships, at least for those members who you thought would stay loyal in a mixed gal with friends? You were clearly outnumbered from start IIRC, so from purely tactical/strategical perspective, shared galaxies would have strengthened you and weakened your enemy overall.

Of course that strategical advantage/disadvantage of mixed galaxies is a matter of opinion... But my impression is, that having mixed gals (especially when they're not fence sitting) has usually helped the underdog.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 18:02   #76
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Urkki
Wouldn't that have been a reason to encourage mixed gals based on old friendships, at least for those members who you thought would stay loyal in a mixed gal with friends? You were clearly outnumbered from start IIRC, so from purely tactical/strategical perspective, shared galaxies would have strengthened you and weakened your enemy overall.

Of course that strategical advantage/disadvantage of mixed galaxies is a matter of opinion... But my impression is, that having mixed gals (especially when they're not fence sitting) has usually helped the underdog.
It's like you've chosen to forget what happened in and around round 6. Like you've decided to ignore how Synthetic_Sid and his contemporaries in the other alliances worked.

First off: Not all FLTV alliances disallowed, but the policy began in Fury (and possibly Legion, it was hard to tell them apart at times) and thus propogated through FLTV because everyone wanted to make sure their gals were also FL. Second, they only disallowed FoS/Xeta alliances. That may not seem like a significant fact, but it ensured that they could get others. Third, FLTV went into the round very strongly and in fact led the round to a degree that scared FoS/Xeta ****less for a long while. Who in FoS/Xeta command can forget loading the top100 and counting a mere 3 allied gals in the top20? Yes, mixed galaxies has helped the underdog, it helped FoS/Xeta didn't it? FLTV, however, were no underdogs.

Jester
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 18:13   #77
Urkki

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
It's like you've chosen to forget what happened in and around round 6. Like you've decided to ignore how Synthetic_Sid and his contemporaries in the other alliances worked.
Not chosen. I didn't play that round from the start, and even than I was a freebie, so my impression from that was largely FLTVT getting bashed. I stand corrected.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 18:40   #78
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Listen to Jester, he is a wise man

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 19:07   #79
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Urkki
Not chosen. I didn't play that round from the start, and even than I was a freebie, so my impression from that was largely FLTVT getting bashed. I stand corrected.
for the first few weeks, fltv was miles ahead of the rest and would have stayed that way had fos not climbed fully into the war, the only reason they did was because xeta was begging them to, and even then fltvl could have crawled a victory by targetting the keylogs within the block(s).

vvomm could have survived and done very well, had they taken advantage of things more than they did, instead of not working as a team which they could have done.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 20:17   #80
Urkki

Quote:
Listen to Jester, he is a wise man
Yes... Now that I think of it, I seem to remember somebody (prolly here in the forums) saying something like, the top FLTV was farming in the beginning faster than xeta/fos could roid them . (And of course FLTV refuting such claims.)

But that sounds a very flammable subject, and I'm sure there was enough fighting about R6 details about a year ago, so maybe we don't want to go back there...
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:04   #81
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Morden
for the first few weeks, fltv was miles ahead of the rest and would have stayed that way had fos not climbed fully into the war, the only reason they did was because xeta was begging them to, and even then fltvl could have crawled a victory by targetting the keylogs within the block(s).
Incorrect.

Deus chose not to fully engage FLVT for many reasons:

1) To focus FLVT on attacking Xeta galaxies, to stir up the dislike between the two forces for future political purposes as well as the
obvious factor of them battering each other leaving us with less to do.
2) Attacking FLVT at such an early stage would have resulted in uneconomic losses
3) Even when we did engage, we engaged on the basis that we would target lots of smaller galaxies in order to gain as many roids as possible with the lower probability of defence. The theory was that eventually the larger galaxies would fall merely as they had nothing left substantial to defend them.

When we saw that the FLVT top 20 were holding for quite a while, the prospect was terrifying; it was more relief than a feeling of success to see them come down for me. By the time FLTV decided to focus on Deus purely it was too late, and my galaxy held out (albeit only just) to prevent the attack from succeeding. Had Fury undertaken operation Barghest (Meth's plan) to focus on Deus, we'd have probably been battered as our tolerance to focused attacks was pretty low, and Fury would have probably won as we'd have no reason to coordinate an operation with our forces decimated. Fortunately FLVT deemed Xeta the bigger threat, which is fine by us.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:08   #82
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by lokken

When we saw that the FLVT top 20 were holding for quite a while, the prospect was terrifying; it was more relief than a feeling of success to see them come down for me. By the time FLTV decided to focus on Deus purely it was too late, and my galaxy held out (albeit only just) to prevent the attack from succeeding. Had Fury undertaken operation Barghest (Meth's plan) to focus on Deus, we'd have probably been battered as our tolerance to focused attacks was pretty low, and Fury would have probably won as we'd have no reason to coordinate an operation with our forces decimated. Fortunately FLVT deemed Xeta the bigger threat, which is fine by us.
the biggest threat isnt almost the most important target. that is what i meant by "keylogs", in r6 deus was a keylog. in r9 eclipse/nos/rah were imho the keylogs which could have forced the war effort to collapse if not be severely shunted.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:24   #83
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
the biggest threat isnt almost the most important target. that is what i meant by "keylogs", in r6 deus was a keylog. in r9 eclipse/nos/rah were imho the keylogs which could have forced the war effort to collapse if not be severely shunted.
But the most important targets are the keylogs. Either Fury made a mistake, or our plan worked better than we imagined. Had Deus been eliminated the main link between Xeta and FoS would have been lost. Some accused us of trying to gain political alliances with Xanadu, which isn't true; we were doing what we believed necessary to have a chance of beating FLVT by cooperating with them as much as we felt we could.

We were a major part of the coordination of Xeta/FoS efforts, had we lost a reason to play on, FLVT would have eventually won a war of attrition, because they're usually quite good of it. Numbers would probably have been about even. We were as 'important' as Xeta because had we been taken out, you would have stood a chance of winning.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:31   #84
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
But the most important targets are the keylogs. Either Fury made a mistake, or our plan worked better than we imagined. Had Deus been eliminated the main link between Xeta and FoS would have been lost. Some accused us of trying to gain political alliances with Xanadu, which isn't true; we were doing what we believed necessary to have a chance of beating FLVT by cooperating with them as much as we felt we could.

We were a major part of the coordination of Xeta/FoS efforts, had we lost a reason to play on, FLVT would have eventually won a war of attrition, because they're usually quite good of it. Numbers would probably have been about even. We were as 'important' as Xeta because had we been taken out, you would have stood a chance of winning.
Zhil would be the best judge on that question, its not my place to speak of Fury's tactics that round,
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:43   #85
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

There was a "good" reason we didn't focus on Deus (FoS) from the onset though I suspect you know it.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:48   #86
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
There was a "good" reason we didn't focus on Deus (FoS) from the onset though I suspect you know it.
We are lovely people who want to invite everyone out for tea and scones on the lawn?
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:52   #87
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Incorrect.

Deus chose not to fully engage FLVT for many reasons:

1) To focus FLVT on attacking Xeta galaxies, to stir up the dislike between the two forces for future political purposes as well as the
obvious factor of them battering each other leaving us with less to do.
2) Attacking FLVT at such an early stage would have resulted in uneconomic losses
3) Even when we did engage, we engaged on the basis that we would target lots of smaller galaxies in order to gain as many roids as possible with the lower probability of defence. The theory was that eventually the larger galaxies would fall merely as they had nothing left substantial to defend them.

FLTV made a strategic misjudgement, choosing to attack xanadu. Tbh it wouldnt have been neccessary to hit deus. Though that would have made alot of sense. But FLTV went after the top dog in the opposition and suffered for it.

I cant say the round wouldnt have turned out the same if they had done a better job. The numbers still would have made things difficult, but it was certainly not as good a fight as it should have been.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 21:56   #88
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Zhil would be the best judge on that question, its not my place to speak of Fury's tactics that round,
Lokken is correct in his statements for r6. Originally I agreed with Meth to form Operation Barghest since unlike alot of HC at that time I considered Deus a threat that had to be neutralized. I did not wish to fight a war on two fronts.

Unfortunately Xeta hit far earlier than anyone anticipated. This resulted in us having no choice but to hit them back just as hard. We did have the advantage over Xeta, the first few nights caught FLTTV by surprise but after then the war slowly was going into FLTTV's favour. Still, other alliances within the block wanted to continue pressing this advantage than undertake Operation Barghest. The disuse of Barghest and ignorance of the FoS side is what sparked my resignation. I disagreed with the FLTTV tactics, and even Sid himself. I didn't have the heart to fight a war in a way that was doomed. Deus and the rest of the FoS joined at just the right time to do a flanking attack into FLTTV. If they had left it longer, FLTTV may very well have been able to redirect forces onto FoS and win.

Barghest was mainly Meth's baby, but like him I shared the concern of FoS and at that moment in time our points of view were equal. I failed to sell the plan to the rest of the block.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:00   #89
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

I don't see how it would have mattered. The reason FLTV didn't win the early R6 war was not because of whom we attacked, but because we had too many incommings.

Fight one and the other will hit you. Though I suppose Deus would have been killed easier then xanadu leaving then unable to fight, unsure if we could have pulled off sufficiently killing deus and then going after xanadu and still win, I doubt it.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:08   #90
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
I don't see how it would have mattered. The reason FLTV didn't win the early R6 war was not because of whom we attacked, but because we had too many incommings.

Fight one and the other will hit you. Though I suppose Deus would have been killed easier then xanadu leaving then unable to fight, unsure if we could have pulled off sufficiently killing deus and then going after xanadu and still win, I doubt it.
We could. It only needed some diversification of forces, but it required the block to 'trust' eachother in the splitting of firepower. Your point is well made, but FoS didnt join in till Xeta were starting to crack.

The plan wasnt for the entire of FLTTV to kill Deus - would have been a waste of spare firepower.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:11   #91
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Can we blame "you know who" yet ?
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:17   #92
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
We could. It only needed some diversification of forces, but it required the block to 'trust' eachother in the splitting of firepower. Your point is well made, but FoS didnt join in till Xeta were starting to crack.

The plan wasnt for the entire of FLTTV to kill Deus - would have been a waste of spare firepower.
True, I remember the 'turning' night well, but I remember reading that Aga once posted that Deus/FoS needed all that time to 'start up the war machine'.

I'm not sure if could have been done, planetarion is usually not that much about tactics but it definatly had a decent shot at working.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:36   #93
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
True, I remember the 'turning' night well, but I remember reading that Aga once posted that Deus/FoS needed all that time to 'start up the war machine'.

I'm not sure if could have been done, planetarion is usually not that much about tactics but it definatly had a decent shot at working.
Deus were initially poorly prepared militarily, mainly as we were cobbled together in a very short time, with no practice on the field. Our diplomatic agreements were very new with the departure of titans.

As Deus' main defence coordinator, I don't think we'd have lasted long with a focused attack upon our ranks. FLVT were chipping away nicely at Xeta before we began real attacks on the FLVT lower orders en masse, from which point onwards we had the run of the battlefield. Agamemnon and Jester built up the Deus (and FoS) war machine and executed it in a way where we could only stop ourselves from pummeling the lower orders. The HC in the main carried out the diplomacy to make that possible.

However, the 'they all come a tumbling down' strategy was a gamble: we thought the big galaxies might have enough flak to be self sufficient in defence, but in the end they too collapsed as we thought they might. I vividly remember FLVT dominating the top 20, and Xeta/FoS dominating the 80 positions below them
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 22:58   #94
K-W
Bored

Lokken pretty much laid it out before. To do well you want to focus on the place where you can do the most damage for your ships. And defend in the place where you can save the most damage for your ships. MOst often both cases are the meat and potatoes galaxies, the pretty good gals, not the top 5 gals. And in alliance combat the best target is the kind of alliance that can gather lots of roids when not pressured, but can be broken. If you focus your attacks on the resiliant members of a block. Then the allainces that can be broken will roid away, and grow, to the point that thier numbers overwhelm you. In rd 6 Xanadu could fend off attacks and still battle. Meanwhile the rest of the opposition grew away so when the full numbers hit FLTV you had lots of players who had grown pretty big, and couldnt have hung onto thier roids if they had been pressured.

Last edited by K-W; 31 Mar 2003 at 23:04.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 23:22   #95
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Deus were initially poorly prepared militarily, mainly as we were cobbled together in a very short time, with no practice on the field. Our diplomatic agreements were very new with the departure of titans.
Yes :/

As I remember it, Fury/ToT was to concentrate on Deus whilst the rest of the block kept Xeta at bay. ViruS were to be in reserve to hit FoS elements or to help vs Xeta just incase.

Fury/ToT at that stage of the round would have managed to shatter Deus and thus the infrastructure of FoS. With FoS in disarray, we could have then returned to focus efforts on Xeta and crush them.

The universe would have then fallen under the iron fist rule of Emperor Sid.

Curses.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 23:37   #96
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road
strange that when germania posts Zhil aint far behind
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 23:39   #97
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:

Curses.
Anarchy is the way to go man.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 23:53   #98
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK_OPPS
strange that when germania posts Zhil aint far behind
Not really, this is my usual AD hanging out time. As you know, I do live in the UK and I got back from work just before 10pm.

As for Germ, he is just sad enough to be on AD at such an early time in his day. (Lo Germ)

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 00:11   #99
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yes :/

As I remember it, Fury/ToT was to concentrate on Deus whilst the rest of the block kept Xeta at bay. ViruS were to be in reserve to hit FoS elements or to help vs Xeta just incase.

Fury/ToT at that stage of the round would have managed to shatter Deus and thus the infrastructure of FoS. With FoS in disarray, we could have then returned to focus efforts on Xeta and crush them.

Curses.

y is it u ppl always keep mumbling about the past.... U would have/could have blablabla.......but u didn't thus y speculate on things that never happend (btw this is not targetted @ u personally Zh|l.... but u happen to be the closet reply for me to quote :P). It only starts useless discussions about things that never happened and never will...since this is a new round en every day is a new day it would be nice if ppl just concentrate on the future and forget about the past.........there is enough to discuss for the future imho :P
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 03:02   #100
Eylisia
Aes Elysium

Eylisia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardin
It has been said before and I will say it again as obviously u still don't understand!

VOM was initially just three alliances

Virus
Olympians
Madcows

You felt the need to nap half the universe and create excessive NARWEET against these three?

I dont think sqrl felt the need to nap anyone tbh,
you need target practise, youre shooting at the wrong person.

As to WEET,
we made WEET after your side made VOM,
after which you then made VvomM.
Oh yes, honourable you..

I will say this one more time.
We did NOT create anything called NARWEET,
we simply napped a coalition that told us they would be hitting VvomM regardless.

Sqrl is completely right on the spot.
We werent targetting you together
to rid the universe of you that much faster,
we did it cos WEET and NahR,
completely unrelated to eachother, WANTED to hit VvomM.

Maybe you all should work on that instead of all this moaning.

Eylisia

A Prayer for the Wild at Heart kept in Cages
Eylisia is offline   Reply With Quote