User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 20:46   #51
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow

since that i read a crappy book called "merde actually" which someone else got me for xmas.
I liked that, wasn't brilliant but enjoyable none the less. Not as good as "In the Merde" though.

I'm not reading anything at the moment though once my exams are over I intend to read "Rubicon". I bought it a while back and just never got around to reading it..

Some books I'd recommend would be "I, Lucifer" and those by Mill Millington. The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden and His Dark Materials are great as well.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:31   #52
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
oh, and the 'Goosebetrry' in Thud! was quite obviously a Blackberry 'parody' and not an iPod.
yeah, and it was still ****ing torrid reading
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:36   #53
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The scene where he ran through the city to read the book to Sam is probably the most painful thing to ever feature in a Discworld novel.

Actually, I dont know if I was imagining it, but I thought he was trying to go back to his earlier style in the last 2 books. There seems to be a lot more 'zany' off-the-cuff attempts at humour, the footnotes are back, and even old jokes are being recycled ("needs a card to prove hes human rorfl!"). Thud also seemed to have a LOT of injokes just for the sake of making injokes. I'd rank it as one of the least accessible discworld books for an outsider - not because of any major plot points, but just because of the enormous number of references to earlier books in the series. At one point I thought it read like a "tribute to discworld" finale of the series, just because of the sheer number of backwards-looking lines.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:37   #54
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Just finished the Hyperion Omnibus, by Dan Simmons. It was really good, ran at a frenetic pace. The sex scenes just about escaped cheesiness. Have also recently read 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', by Bill Bryson and 'The Ode Less Travelled', by Stephen Fry. The first was typical Bryson; funny and well written. Fry was sometimes a little ponderous, but informative and often funny.
In the process of reading 'Moby Dick', plus general Milton and Tolkien for my course.
As for things everyone should read (ie. my favourites): LOTR, 'War and Peace' (or 'Anna Karenin', either will do), 'Emma', 'King Lear', at least one le Carré... there are many more.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:41   #55
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I just realized noone mentioned Don Quijote by Miguel de Cervantes Savedraa yet. How is that?

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:49   #56
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Because there are only 57 posts in this thread (58 now I suppose...) and there are many more books than that in the world that are worth reading?
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:50   #57
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

The last book I read was A Storm of Swords by Geroge R.R. Martin. The next book I read will be the next in the series, but that won't be until June when I'm on holiday.

The series so far has been like a breath of fresh air in fantasy. Really awesome dialogue and characters. ACE+++++++++++++++

Everyone should read some Terry Goodkind, and some Eddings (although not the new stuff cause it's shite).
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:56   #58
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Last book i read was Digital Fotress by Dan Brown.

A few books which every should read:

Harry Potter(especially the 4th book)
Lord of the rings
A Agatha Christie book, which in norwegian is called '10 small negrochildren'(?)

Those are some of my favourite books.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:00   #59
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Because there are only 57 posts in this thread (58 now I suppose...) and there are many more books than that in the world that are worth reading?
Well, that is of course true, but I was just a little surprised that a book of such reputation and quality hadn't been mentioned yet. I read it myself, and enjoyed it a lot. It is old though, and it isn't as easy to read as a lot of other books.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:01   #60
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
The last book I read was A Storm of Swords by Geroge R.R. Martin. The next book I read will be the next in the series, but that won't be until June when I'm on holiday.

The series so far has been like a breath of fresh air in fantasy. Really awesome dialogue and characters. ACE+++++++++++++++
Feast For Crows has been out for some time. Dance with Dragons is yet to come.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:07   #61
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
A Agatha Christie book, which in norwegian is called '10 small negrochildren'(?)
Was '10 Little ******s' in English, then renamed to '10 Little Indians', and then to 'And then there were none'.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:13   #62
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Feast For Crows has been out for some time. Dance with Dragons is yet to come.
Yes I am well aware that FFC has been out for ages now. But, I've held off buying it because I want to take it on holiday with me in June, plus I'd have read it when I was supposed to be doing important Uni work.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:14   #63
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

oh, sorry. i read 'that won't be until June' as 'that won't be out until June'
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:20   #64
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didn't realise George RR Martin had actually published FFC. I really enjoyed that series when I read it like five years ago so I'll probably go and buy it soon.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:32   #65
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
For books to read, you should read John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
I read this some years ago. Worst kind of emo bullshit&whining I ever read..
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:33   #66
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

no tyrion or stannis or danerys or jon snow in it though
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:38   #67
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The danerys story was sort of finished anyways. Also it's been a while, was tyrion the gimpy little dwarf or the incest guy or the father of the two aforementioned? The jon snow/stannis thing he can sort of just leave off for a while until the next book I guess. Are you sure he's not in it though? I remember reading some sort of random chapter excerpts that were put on the internet back when he'd go to particular places and read a chapter to people before the book was published and I swear one of them was about jon snow. Maybe he cut them out later though.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:38   #68
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
I just realized noone mentioned Don Quijote by Miguel de Cervantes Savedraa yet. How is that?
Because I haven't posted any actual recommendations in the book?

Lost in La Mancha is the saddest film known to man.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:46   #69
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

tyrion's the ****ing awesome dwarf.

and they were going to be in the next book but then he cut the next book in two. and dany is nowhere near finished.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:49   #70
JonnyBGood
Banned

It was more ****ing finished, better holding point if you will, than the story with the dead queen whose name escapes me right now right at the end of the last book. And yeah tyrion's kool and the gang.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:54   #71
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Hooray for book burning!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:56   #72
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Man, im reading some book some friend gave me from xmas.. It is a series of 4 books, 860 pages each one. Ive lost reading habit after PA, but this one is really great. First time i read (about 6 in the morning, just some pages to sleep) i never thought i would be so enthraled that i read it right till midday.

I definelly recomend this series, specially for those who likes medieval novels ( wich bits of fantasy)

First book of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 22:59   #73
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
Man, im reading some book some friend gave me from xmas.. It is a series of 4 books, 860 pages each one. Ive lost reading habit after PA, but this one is really great. First time i read (about 6 in the morning, just some pages to sleep) i never thought i would be so enthraled that i read it right till midday.

I definelly recomend this series, specially for those who likes medieval novels ( wich bits of fantasy)

First book of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series
Erm don't read up if you're not finished heh.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:29   #74
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Aren't you the one who didn't appreciate 'War and Peace'?
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:34   #75
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

I found War and Peace dull and boring. Even if I read it at a time when I had LOADS of spare time compared to things to do. I was in northern norway, far from the civilized world and stuck most of the time inside the barracks... I came half way trough it, then put it away.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:41   #76
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Erm don't read up if you're not finished heh.
Dam curiosity

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:42   #77
Boogster
I dunno...

Each to their own, I guess. I think it's probably the best novel ever written.

edit: in reply to zhukov
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:47   #78
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, and books!

Aside from those already mentioned:

The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton
The War of the Worlds by HG Wells
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Against A Dark Background by Iain M Banks
Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell
The Stars My Destination (AKA "Tiger Tiger) by Alfred Bester
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Stern
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 23:48   #79
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I came half way trough it, then put it away.
had you been at it from the start and taken ages or was there just a really saucy bit in there?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 00:16   #80
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thud is easily one of the best discworld, or even best works by pratchett ever, it just not like the rest of the series

lately i have been reading:

grunts by mary gentle, comic fantasy by the author of ash: a secret history, both of which are excellent books.
huge amounts of random pulp crap from orbit, who seem to have cornered the market in random vampire-with-sexual-overtones books (read laurell k hamilton for perhaps the best of the genre)

and a history of violence, which has made me want to see the film even more
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 00:27   #81
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Just finished the Hyperion Omnibus, by Dan Simmons. It was really good, ran at a frenetic pace. The sex scenes just about escaped cheesiness.
I got this for Christmas, should I read it soon?
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 00:29   #82
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
had you been at it from the start and taken ages or was there just a really saucy bit in there?
I started reading at page 1. Can anyone tell me what they liked about War and Peace?
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 00:35   #83
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Books i have enjoyed reading recently

All of Robert jordens wheel of time series
Rift War Saga, Serpant War Saga and Conclave of Shadows all by Reymond E Feist ( <3 Appoc for recoomending them)

Books i would recomend.
The 2 seieses mentioned above,
LOtR (prefrebly if u havent seen the film and had your views jaded by peter jacksons)
Most of the Ludlum books set after WW2 (mattarese circle being the best)
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (Sheer genious)
Discworld books i was enjoying i started at the beggining and worked my way through but i havnt picked one up in a while
Dan Browns books are worth picking up as well
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 00:39   #84
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

The Power Of One - Bryce Courtney
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Crime and Punishment - fyodor
Diary Of a Madman- Gogol
A Murky Business - Balzac
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzhenitsyn
I just finished - The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell and have to say he has me hooked.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 01:22   #85
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
I'm a huge fan of Tom Clancy and Ludlum. Clive Cussler is pretty good aswell.
I like the Clancy books as well and read most of them, I especially like the set of books based on the character Jack Ryan.

I've also read books by Dale Brown, Steven Coonts and other such authors. Their books are over a very similar style to Clancy,

My dad also had a set of six books called the Amtrax Wars, that I got into when I was younger and just reread last year, I dont remember the author but they followed a "gifted" brother and sister in world after a nuclear war where there are three main races, Trackers (people who sealed themselves below ground just before the war, who live in a very rigid system and very high tech,) Mutes (all the people caught above ground who as such are deformed by the radiation) and "Iron Masters" (very much based on the Japanese Samurai system, and who have banned "dark light" (electricity.))

I dont often enjoy fantasy books, but I do enjoy books by Raymond Feist, namely the Empire Trilogy.

I used to read a lot more when I was younger since we didnt have a TV and the place I was raised is a small village (Tumble in S. Wales, which is about dead centre between Llanelli, Carmarthen and Swansea.) The public transport there is utter crap so before I passed my test there isnt a lot to do "on a whim," you have to plan to catch the bus the day before.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 01:26   #86
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Gods Of War - Conn Iggulden

Got to finish the series, i've read many reviews saying it doesn't match up to the previous 3 books.

I still have hope though - so far so good.

David Gemmell is good, as is Bernard Cornwell. I persoanlly recommend Orcs by Stan Nicholls - a truly brilliant book for any lovers of heroic fantasy.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 01:49   #87
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You're wrong about the Grapes of Wrath.

Emo bullshit? They were supposed to be going through the great depression and facing bosses brutality and grinding poverty, not whining because their girlfriend bitched about them on her blog, or because Blink 182 split up ffs.

And you call yourself a socialist...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 02:12   #88
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You're wrong about the Grapes of Wrath.

Emo bullshit? They were supposed to be going through the great depression and facing bosses brutality and grinding poverty, not whining because their girlfriend bitched about them on her blog, or because Blink 182 split up ffs.

And you call yourself a socialist...
And it's got some of the most beautifully written, mournful landscapes I've ever read.

As for 'War and Peace', it's got such incredible scope. It covers war, friendship, love, politics, and spirituality in equal detail and with unfailing truthfulness, but despite the epic panorama in which the story is set, Tolstoy never loses his focus on the smaller portraits. He's so brilliant at accurately portraying character, and particularly the growth and maturity of a person. It's a human epic.

At least, that's what I think.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 02:23   #89
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
And it's got some of the most beautifully written, mournful landscapes I've ever read.
I rememer alot of lines about some three who sybolized his father or something... Isnt that correct?
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 02:49   #90
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Then you can't have understood it. The story isn't important, it's the characters and their reactions to everything that happens, despite the worst kinds of adversity.

Dante, Boogster.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 04:07   #91
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading "perfume' at the moment by Patrick Suskind. Really good concept, the main characters like the Mozart of smell, mixed with a pathological killer. Very easy to read too. I reccomend it to anyone
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 04:12   #92
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've been trying to make my way through Niebla by Miguel de Unamuno which is in Spanish.

Unamuno was highly influenced by Kierkegaard and although its never stated, there is a huge amount of influence in this book and it just means its very very confusing, although its much less confusing with an understanding of Kierkegaard and thus a view as to where Unamuno is coming from.

Still crazy though
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 04:37   #93
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Then you can't have understood it. The story isn't important, it's the characters and their reactions to everything that happens, despite the worst kinds of adversity.

Dante, Boogster.
I just found it boring. And the strongest memory from the book, is the story about the three. I guess I just got pissed about the emo whining who took several pages. Its been... eight years now since I read it
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 09:33   #94
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I started reading at page 1. Can anyone tell me what they liked about War and Peace?
whoosh

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 11:23   #95
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
im 30 pages away from finishing catch 22. then im going to read some of the politics i bought cover to cover instead of just a few sections.

(i only used what i needed )
my favourite book ever

closely followed by swallows and amazons...
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 12:24   #96
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
closely followed by swallows and amazons...
Now that earns you rep. I love 'Swallows and Amazons'.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 12:44   #97
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

swallows and amazons, not only was it written so well it was every kids dream, of having a boat, and finding and living on an island etc. Just I remember reading them and wanting to go to the lake district and do everything they did ;o
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 12:57   #98
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I seem to be alone in absoloutely despising that book
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 13:46   #99
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I had it on my shelf for many many years as a kid but i never actually read it. I think I started it and disliked it though, if that's any help.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 14:00   #100
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

By the way, has anyone here ever read the dark tower seires by Stephen King? I absolutely loved them, even though i don't normally like his kind of writing.