User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Dec 2004, 04:16   #1
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Musical torture

c4, crazy rulers of the world.

Some gentleman is acting in an utterly horrified manner that the US is using 'loud, offensive music' to 'torture' PoW's (or illegal combatants in guantanamo), such as barney theme music or metallica - enter sandman or the XXX soundtrack, although it is apparently not played at a volume so high that you cannot carry on a conversation.

Am I the only one to be slightly baffled at someone complaining about the use of non-violent onterrogation methods? would it be preferable for them to be breaking out the thumb screws and bollock shock prods?

From the start the presenter has been comparing this with the actual instances of torture (sorry, prisoner abuse) at the abu-graib (sp, i know) prison.

Does anyone have any opinion on this, as to wether it is better to use the good ol' blooded methods or new age psyche methods to break a prisoners will?

Or should we rely on asking really nicely and offering a cup of tea?

Ninja_spammer

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:19   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Musical torture

I'm one of those crazy people who thinks you shouldn't torture people at all.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:28   #3
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:36   #4
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:

Bandwagons are cool, especially when you agree with 'm.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:47   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

torture is torture.
whether its having music or noise blasted at you 24/7 nonstop or whether its a swift beating from time to time.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:52   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
although some people wouldn't have a problem with 24 hour Metallica at high volumes. I wouldn't be bothered unless they played stuff from LOAD or later.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 20:59   #7
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Yeah but is it actually 'torture' ?

Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:02   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
To bring great physical or mental pain upon (another)
So yes.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:10   #9
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
although some people wouldn't have a problem with 24 hour Metallica at high volumes. I wouldn't be bothered unless they played stuff from LOAD or later.

~Vaio~
I didnt think LOAD was all that bad. Ive heard worse.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:14   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Musical torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
So yes.
Your post brought me great mental pain!

See, we can all be torturers! :xmasgrin:
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:23   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Your post brought me great mental pain!

See, we can all be torturers! :xmasgrin:
Do you ever get tired of being an apologist for America btw?
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:28   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
I didnt think LOAD was all that bad. Ive heard worse.
So have I, Reload for one

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:38   #13
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

I'm curious though, just to play devils advocate.

Lets say you have a criminal, a "terrorist" if you will, in custody and you "know" (again i can say this because it's a hypothetical situation, but if it's REALLY neccessary i can draw up an example where everyone would agree to this rather than just accept it for the sake of this example) that he knows the whereabouts of a live bomb in a populous area, and how to disarm it . and he's not talking.

what do you do to extract this information, given that lives are at stake?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:47   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Telepaths. A P5 or above should do.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 21:56   #15
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy

Lets say you have a criminal, a "terrorist" if you will, in custody and you "know" (again i can say this because it's a hypothetical situation, but if it's REALLY neccessary i can draw up an example where everyone would agree to this rather than just accept it for the sake of this example) that he knows the whereabouts of a live bomb in a populous area, and how to disarm it . and he's not talking.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

I hear that SAME ****ING ARGUMENT trotted out by every single person that thinks torture is acceptable in some circumstances. Its in every argument, and has been for 25 years. Its straight out of hollywood, its unbelievably unlikely, and lets face it, IT SIMPLY DOESNT HAPPEN!. For **** sake, if youre going to come up with an acceptable reason for torture, dont use the same tired one that everyone else does and that has never happened and almost certainly will never happen.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 22:06   #16
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

now now, it's hypothetical. and I didn't say what my views on the subject were either.

the point though, is that it's this arguement which gets widdened out to "issues of national security".. (stuff that spies do). so come on, you're boss, what do you do?

(oh and ps if the same point has been made for 25 yrs, surely someone has come up with a reason to refute it... right?)

Unread 7 Dec 2004, 22:10   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

In a recent German case I believe their equivalent of the Home Office authorised "the use of force" on a suspect to (potentially) save a kidnap victims life.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:01   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Musical torture

Quote:
Do you ever get tired of being an apologist for America btw?
That remark brought me even greater mental pain.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:02   #19
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Telepaths. A P5 or above should do.
The Corps is father, the Corps is mother.

Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:02   #20
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

real men dont crack
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:22   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
The Corps is father, the Corps is mother.
The Corps is fictional.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:32   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Corps is fictional.
That's what they want you to think.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:39   #23
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
That's what they want you to think.
J Michael Strazcynski is due one serious beating.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:40   #24
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Yeah and what if you decide to torture him and he tells you where the bomb is and noone dies so then you go home to sleep but that night a ghost appears in your room and you know you arent dreaming and you know it is a real ghost and then the ghost says ok here is a five year old child if you dont have sex with it now I am going to blow up the world and everyone will die and then it shows you a video of the world blowing up and there are people screaming in pain and agony but you still dont it believe it so then the ghost points at the house across the street and it blows up and you watch your neighbours bodies fly through the air and then the ghost says ok now you know I am not joking and if you dont have sex with this child now then I will do the same to the whole world so yeah anyway if this happened to you one night what would you do in my opinion I think you would have sex with the child even if it didnt want to have sex with you so this means that raping children isnt always wrong it just depends on the context
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 23:45   #25
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Yeah and what if you decide to torture him and he tells you where the bomb is and noone dies so then you go home to sleep but that night a ghost appears in your room and you know you arent dreaming and you know it is a real ghost and then the ghost says ok here is a five year old child if you dont have sex with it now I am going to blow up the world and everyone will die and then it shows you a video of the world blowing up and there are people screaming in pain and agony but you still dont it believe it so then the ghost points at the house across the street and it blows up and you watch your neighbours bodies fly through the air and then the ghost says ok now you know I am not joking and if you dont have sex with this child now then I will do the same to the whole world so yeah anyway if this happened to you one night what would you do in my opinion I think you would have sex with the child even if it didnt want to have sex with you so this means that raping children isnt always wrong it just depends on the context
I never thought i would post this, but.

<3 Nod
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 00:13   #26
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

tell you what then, seeing as how you don't ever have to make a call like that, take an easy ideological stance and sleep well at night.

oh and tbh I expected better than a blanket "no cos it's just wrong that arguement is stupid because it's the one everyone uses and no I don't care that situations like that happen it's still wrong", followed by nod doing his "your example is so silly, see look?" effort.

so much for rational debate folks :/

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 00:24   #27
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

as long as it aint frans bauer
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 02:07   #28
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Quote:
J Michael Strazcynski is due one serious beating.
J Michael Strazcynski is fictional.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 07:57   #29
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:

Then you go through the three F's. Finance's, Freinds, and Family. Eventually coming down to his sick daughter who requires a liver transplant, and you take her to the building that is targeted and threaten to leave her there unless he gives up his friends and the device being used to target the building?
</lastnightsspooks>
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 09:42   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Nod's example is not that silly. The point is that yes, there are cases where pretty much anything is justified but those are so rare / unlikely we do not have to consider them in day-to-day debates. We're not constructing an ethical program for robots, so we're not constraining our behaviour unnecessarily. We're not considering some sort of ultimate unbreakable rules, but trying to generalise for 99.999999% of cases.

Yes, it's possible to construct a scenario where torture (or having sex with a small child) would be "justified" by some extraordinary context. So what? Does the current scenario meet that criteria? No, it does not.

In the German case I alluded to previously, a kidnapper was arrested who had taken a child, and was holding her in a place unknown. As the time ticked on, the detectives became worried that the girl would starve / die of thirst / etc which I think we'd agree would be a pretty horrific way to die. The man refused to disclose where she was, so the detectives asked their superiors if they had permission to "apply force". The word torture, as I understand, was not used. They were authorised by someone in some government department, to proceed. IIRC they then threatened the man, and he broke and told them that the girl was already dead. Were the detectives right to threaten the man? I'd say yes. Would they have been right to torture him?

I would probably say no. However, as discussed in this thread there are numerous forms of torture. Heavy interrogation at it's most extreme probably does lean towards some form of mental "torture" for instance. It seems to be fairly routine in poorly managed prisons to place troublesome people with violent cellmates as a form of punishment. The detectives in the above scenario could have probably threatened to place the man with a larger/more dangerous convict as a cellmate and say that they will personally inform everyone in the prison that he was a child molestor, or something to that effect.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 10:06   #31
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Torture is just not acceptable to be honest.

I may be one of those "crazy liberals" that believe that peoples human rights should be respected and that if you want to judge someone as a criminal, a deviant, a terrorist etc. that you have to keep your moral standards at a level far above theirs.
As soon as you waiver and treat them as they might treat you, as you think they should be treated (brutally) or deny them any of their basic human rights, then you lose all justification for holding/charging/punishing them.
If you are as a bad as them, then why the hell haven't you been arrested then? If you torture people for being bad, then aren't you being bad? Isn't inflicting mental anguish or physical pain on someone an abhorrant act?

You might come up with the most fancyful hypotethical situations to justify things however they have no bearing on real life to be honest.

This is why I consider the US morally bankrupt and hippocritcal in their actions. And it's why I despise regiemes that torture & oppress their peoples.

Last edited by IncubusGod; 8 Dec 2004 at 10:11.
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:43   #32
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In the German case I alluded to previously, a kidnapper was arrested who had taken a child, and was holding her in a place unknown. As the time ticked on, the detectives became worried that the girl would starve / die of thirst / etc which I think we'd agree would be a pretty horrific way to die. The man refused to disclose where she was, so the detectives asked their superiors if they had permission to "apply force". The word torture, as I understand, was not used. They were authorised by someone in some government department, to proceed. IIRC they then threatened the man, and he broke and told them that the girl was already dead. Were the detectives right to threaten the man? I'd say yes. Would they have been right to torture him?

I would probably say no. However, as discussed in this thread there are numerous forms of torture. Heavy interrogation at it's most extreme probably does lean towards some form of mental "torture" for instance. It seems to be fairly routine in poorly managed prisons to place troublesome people with violent cellmates as a form of punishment.
The other important thing to consider in situations such as this is the idea of setting a precedent for state policyl. While I would have no hestitation in personally recommending the torturing of a known kidnapper in order to save one of his victims, I don't think that allowing the state to make such a decision could be justified under anything but the most extreme situations. I would not view saving the life of one girl as able to justify giving the police the power to torture citizens - the potential consequences are simply too dangerous. I realise the girl's parents would be likely to think differently, but that just shows how perspective will affect evaluation.

Last edited by Nodrog; 8 Dec 2004 at 16:50.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote