User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Nov 2007, 21:27   #1
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of
History books

Does anyone know of any good history books, topic isnt really an issue. Something concerning military would be smashing. Also i want book to be more of a story with opinions throughout as apposed to bullet point facts*

Cheers

* Please note, i dont want to be undermined, patronized or lol'ed at. I just want some books that i can read while im bored at work.

** Suggestions from horn would be an extra as hes probably the wittiest person on the internet.
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 22:49   #2
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: History books

Iwould recommend this one
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 00:09   #3
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just got 6 new books about WWII today, but it will prob take some time before I finishes with them all..
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 12:00   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This one.

[edit]Thanks <3
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 30 Nov 2007 at 15:22.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:25   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I've just got 6 new books about WWII today, but it will prob take some time before I finishes with them all..
Reading exclusively about war is pretty pathetic man.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:30   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow

Why?
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:37   #7
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
How many are about the involvement of the USSR?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:37   #8
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Why?
Because you do it?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:43   #9
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why?
Because it's reading exclusively about the worst aspect of human civilization, in most cases glorifying what is a part of our culture and heritage we should be doing nothing but denigrate.

People who read about this sort of thing at the expense of areas of history in which humans were not destroying each other tend to end up with an idea that war is a noble thing, they throw around words like "honour" as if they mean anything more than an ideology designed to make people kill each other for other more powerful people's ends.

In my opinion it also shows that the reader who chooses to read about these things isn't as much in contact with the more worthy parts of their soul* and more in contact with base instincts.

A lot of people I have met who take a special interest in military history are also the kind of people who often profess violent solutions to real life problems without a trace of irony. Which is pretty pathetic. I doubt Zhukov does this though, although you might.

*I hesitate to use the word soul, but remove the religious connotations and it fits best with what i mean.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:50   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Because it's reading exclusively about the worst aspect of human civilization, in most cases glorifying what is a part of our culture and heritage we should be doing nothing but denigrate.

People who read about this sort of thing at the expense of areas of history in which humans were not destroying each other tend to end up with an idea that war is a noble thing, they throw around words like "honour" as if they mean anything more than an ideology designed to make people kill each other for other more powerful people's ends.

In my opinion it also shows that the reader who chooses to read about these things isn't as much in contact with the more worthy parts of their soul* and more in contact with base instincts.

A lot of people I have met who take a special interest in military history are also the kind of people who often profess violent solutions to real life problems without a trace of irony. Which is pretty pathetic. I doubt Zhukov does this though, although you might.

*I hesitate to use the word soul, but remove the religious connotations and it fits best with what i mean.

That's a pretty bold generalisation from you right there. People do have different interests and they do have their own reasons for having them. There are masses of people out there reading shitloads of books of the same subject, subjects that are a lot more pathetic then war.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:55   #11
All Systems Go

This provided an interesting analysis of 20th century history. It's not all about war, but it's a good book.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 16:59   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I'm a history student, unfortunately for the moment I don't have a lot of spare time left to read additional literature after my full time job and part time studying but it sounds interesting on the first sight.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 17:18   #13
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
That's a pretty bold generalisation from you right there. People do have different interests and they do have their own reasons for having them. There are masses of people out there reading shitloads of books of the same subject, subjects that are a lot more pathetic then war.
Well of course there are exceptions.

And there's not much more pathetic than war.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 20:17   #14
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
I need a break from reading geography and history curriculum, man!
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 20:22   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
How many are about the involvement of the USSR?
All in all I ordered 8 books, 6 of them touches WWII and 5 of those involves USSR in one way or the other. Only Panzer Leader by Guderian isnt. But some of those 5 deals mainly with the eastern front, and not only the USSR.
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 17:04   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Stalingrad is quite good
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 18:24   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
#forums when there's wimmin in it
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 21:09   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
#forums when there's wimmin in it
you're married, you can no longer be objective about these things (or subjective, perhaps? )
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 21:40   #19
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I think this is an unfortunately one sided view of the driving force behind the ingenuity that has been integral to our development as a species. Certainly war has many negative aspects but, like any evolutionary pressure, there can ultimately be positive effects. Overall I must profess to having a certain optimism about where humanity will eventually end up.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 07:34   #20
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Riech is one I like. Besides it always comes with a cover with a huge swastika on it so that I can carry it around and worry my Jewish friends.

Good times.