User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:16   #1
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all
Hiking in Scotland

In September some friends and me are going to Scotland for some hiking and camping. Since there are some people from there on here I thought maybe you could recommend me some interesting places to go to, things to see and do. Our budget is rather limited, so the cheaper, the better.

General advice on Scotland, things to avoid etc. is also very welcome. Thanks in advance!
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:23   #2
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hiking in Scotland

Recent case to avoid in Scotland. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1580930.stm
and: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1457035.stm

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.

Last edited by pyirt; 17 Aug 2006 at 11:31.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:50   #3
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Link
________
Cannabis seeds

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 07:02.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:51   #4
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

[Deffeh]
West Highland Way
[/Deffeh]
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 13:02   #5
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
[Deffeh]
West Highland Way
[/Deffeh]
Quoting someone quoting deffeh in a thread in which the west highland way is the only sensible option.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 17:54   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

West Highland Way works, and once you get to Fort William there's plenty to se (if not do).
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 18:49   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i heard Ben Nevis is pretty popular these days especially with the outdoor type

Unread 17 Aug 2006, 18:55   #8
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
West Highland Way works, and once you get to Fort William there's nothing to see (if not do). apart from look at nature and drink whiskey
Edited for truth. Of course, if you're going for the hiking then it's ace. Ben Nevis is right there, and you can continue along to either the Western Islands or Inverness. If you go to Inverness, don't forget to wave to Nessie.

Last edited by BesigedB; 17 Aug 2006 at 20:42.
BesigedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 08:29   #9
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, is Stirling worth a visit?
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 10:10   #10
OneColourRed

OneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the rough

I live right next to there so you sort of get used to what it has to offer. i dont know what its like to go there as a 'visitor'.

I'd say yes, the old town and Castle are worth a visit and the Monument as well(depends if you like that sort of thing). The only problem with it is its pretty expensive, i taken a German friend to the castle last year and it was a rip off. The Dungeon which is in the Thistle centre can be worth a visit(its haunted if you believe the Daily Record).

Apart from that its a generally nice place and well situated as a base for travel to other places, think the hostels there are fairly decent. Real good mix of different nationalities in Stirling especially in August.

As for night life theres a couple decent pubs but they tend to be on the expensive side(i once paid £2.30 for a can of cola ffs never been back since). Clubs are pants tho. The Fubar is ok for a couple visits but after youve been there as much as i have yuo begin to realise how utter pish it really is. I wont even get started on Enigma......
OneColourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 13:09   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opi
Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, is Stirling worth a visit?
You know how bad stirling is? I just had to check your registration date and find all posts by you to make sure you arent some sort of weird gimmick or stalker account designed to **** me up in some way.

I live there, its terrible. Theres a city tour bus, which is just hilarious considering you can pretty much travel down every street in 5 minutes.

Why on earth are you asking after it?

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 13:17   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I went to stirling with Aryn, her sister and friend not too long ago.
Its not a particularly *great* town but the castle and monument are worth seeing if you dont mind the huge fkoff walk up the hill to it. Ofc you could get a bus up but that defeats the point of a hiking holiday

If you are going in september, bring a fkload of midgie repellant. They'll be out in force ready to suck you dry
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 13:23   #13
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I live there, its terrible. Theres a city tour bus, which is just hilarious considering you can pretty much travel down every street in 5 minutes.
For some reason I imagined you living in a leafy south east england suburb.

Odd.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 13:36   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I come from a suburb of glasgow, just living in Stirling for uni, 4th year now. Until i looked at your location i didnt realise you were scottish either we should both be ashamed.

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 15:32   #15
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

By all means go to Stirling. Have a look around, then go home and appreciate where you live so much more.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 15:49   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I come from a suburb of glasgow, just living in Stirling for uni, 4th year now. Until i looked at your location i didnt realise you were scottish either we should both be ashamed.
What was it you were saying last night about all Scottish posters on GD being famous and awesome, Deffeh...?
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 16:32   #17
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
What was it you were saying last night about all Scottish posters on GD being famous and awesome, Deffeh...?
i said famous or infamous. Fact is we still are ridiculously overrepresented and overperform on the board.

Im not bragging, because its hardly suprising. English people dont tend to have the same guile, wit, or canny (apologies to geordies) usually at any rate.

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 17:17   #18
Opi
Ensign

Quote:
Why on earth are you asking after it?
Heh, I asked only because it is one of the larger towns near the Highlands and not too far from Edinburgh and Glasgow, so it wouldn't be too hard to reach. But I guess it just isn't worth it, by the way you react.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 17:21   #19
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you're a tourist it's prolly worth going to Stirling to see the castle and the Wallace monument.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 18:40   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

ive never been in to either, too expensive. just go to a bar called obo eru and order fruit beer and get sloshed.

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 18:47   #21
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
ive never been in to either, too expensive. just go to a bar called obo eru and order fruit beer and get sloshed.
aye its a bit pricy. something like £14+ each per person
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 19:02   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

thats like 5 bottles of cider (((((((((((((

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 20:24   #23
OneColourRed

OneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the rough

I cant actually think of a cheap bar in Stirling. I remember Obu Eru was closed for money laundering a while back.

Mebbe that dodgy looking put across from Droothies is cheap, cant say i'm planning on going there to find out. I think the WIlliam Wallace in Causewayhead isnt too bankbreaking, but i've not been there for about 6 years.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 20:30   #24
BesigedB
Darling

There's nowhere cheap thru here at the mo, unless you go looking for snapfax bars or drinks promos in clubs. £3 a pint is ****ing standard in town, which sucks before going out.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 21:20   #25
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneColourRed
I cant actually think of a cheap bar in Stirling. I remember Obu Eru was closed for money laundering a while back.

Mebbe that dodgy looking put across from Droothies is cheap, cant say i'm planning on going there to find out. I think the WIlliam Wallace in Causewayhead isnt too bankbreaking, but i've not been there for about 6 years.
The Settle Inn is reasonably priced. Obo Eru is ****ng expensive. Never heard about this money laundering thing though? Explain

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 22:32   #26
OneColourRed

It was a while ago. A m8 was telling me about it, Obu Eru, Labarito and some Indian Resturant were allegedly closed under suspicion of said crime. They did all close at the same time although Obu Eru did reopen after a short time. It could be untrue but the m8 i heard it from is usually pretty truthful about such things. I actually quite liked Obu Eru the 1 time i was there. Suppose theres every chance its just another one of these rumours started by some random old person that lives nearby who was complaining about the noise or some such nonsense.