User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Oct 2003, 10:20   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
About the SAT...

So, you americans, or, everyone around who have done the SAT I test, how did it go? I was thinking of applying to the Helsinki Business College later on in my life - there's an option of doing the SAT (verbal and maths) instead of the basic application tests (which would include a crapload of reading).

How much is, say, 1350 points for SAT (out of the 1600)?
How do people "prepare" for a maths-logics-English-verbal test like SAT? Any books to read or so?

Etc etc...

[edit]
SAT 1, not the second part of it innit
[/edit]
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 10:27   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: About the SAT...

SAT's are easy! lol!

I know this of course as a fact. I have never seen an SAT but I still know they're easy.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 10:35   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Chubby, perhaps the SATs are easy, but you might wish to consider English isn't my native language.

PISSBUCKET.

Although the few SAT pieces I did at the collegeboard site seemed pretty simple to me...

Like.

His inclination to succumb to flattery made him ---- to the ---- of people who wished to take advantage of him

immune...predilection
prejudicial...intentions
susceptible...cajolery
resistant...blandishments
amenable...rejection
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 11:15   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Yes, there's sposed to be one. It's obviously susceptible - cajolery, but...

I was just thinking.

If anyone here had first-hand experience of doing the exam... The yanks are asleep though, at least at the moment... Piss...
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 13:03   #5
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow SAT, I took that years ago, but I can tell you what I remember.

Supposedly the "average" score of the SAT is supposed to be 1000. A 1350 is definitely a good score a score like that would probably get you into most colleges with a decent GPA, 1400 is excellent, 1500 superb, and 1600 (yes it's possible) is genius. 1200 isn't too shabby either.

If you want practice I'd say just try to get your hands on as many SAT practice tests as you can, build up your vocab, and go over the math that's in the SAT, which doesn't go above trigometry and advanced algebra (unless they changed it, I remember being irritated that there was no calculus).

The analogies is probably the most annoying/difficult part.

I am sure there are tons of websites with free resources you can use to prepare. I never did study for the SAT and most people I knew didn't either, but considering how important of a test it is, its probably a good idea to at least expand your vocabulary.

I'd look at the SAT's official website, I seem to remember things like "word a day" stuff on it.

Hope this helps And SAT is easy compared to tests like the MCAT.

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 14:02   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Toccata, I have no idea what the real "point" of SAT is, all I know it's a way to get into the local business college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnamon xie
Supposedly the "average" score of the SAT is supposed to be 1000. A 1350 is definitely a good score a score like that would probably get you into most colleges with a decent GPA, 1400 is excellent, 1500 superb, and 1600 (yes it's possible) is genius. 1200 isn't too shabby either.

If you want practice I'd say just try to get your hands on as many SAT practice tests as you can, build up your vocab, and go over the math that's in the SAT, which doesn't go above trigometry and advanced algebra (unless they changed it, I remember being irritated that there was no calculus).

The analogies is probably the most annoying/difficult part.
Oh yes, very helpful. Thank you.

Hence, 1350 is a good score? ****. English is my third language. I can take the SAT either in January or May, so I'm not in a rush, perhaps I'd do good picking up some books from the library and starting to expand my vocabulary. I wasn't thinking of taking too much interest in preparation, but it might be a good choice to do something about it, if 1350“s a good score for a native English-speaking person (whilst I can likely excel the maths part with little trouble - Finnish "High schools" go very deep into maths if you've chosen the long maths option, we do calculus, for example - I'm bound to be a little lost in the analogies-section, due to my crap English).

I've been surfing a bit, collegeboard (heh, SAT's official website? I guess it'd be this one then, Collegeboard webbie ) at least has some preparation stuff, perhaps I'll find more searching tonight once I get home or something.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 14:09   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Your english seems better than many americans.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:04   #8
princess
teh emp

princess is an unknown quantity at this point

actaully, the SAT really isnt any indicator of intelligence. it's just a test to see how well you can take the SAT and how much vocab you know. the math is fairly elementary level, and if you have an ace vocab, you'll be fine in verbal. i know tons of people who got 1600's, and yes, they are smart, but no smarter than anyone who got a 1500 or something. the key to doing well on the SAT is just knowing how the test will be set up (read: take zillions of practice tests), and memorizing a million vocab words (read: go get some flashcards. its tedious and not nearly as applicable in rl as reading books, but its the most efficient way to get a higher score for the SAT. the SAT isnt applicable to anything rl anyway, no reason for its preparation to be). that way you can get a feel for what their "trick" questions are like, wont have to waste time reading directions, blow through the math since many math questions are the same format, etc.
good luck!

r4.0: [ 169:24:20 ] - n00b
r5.0: [ 036:17:24 ] - f00kerz
r6.0: [ 004:02:14 ] - f00kerz
r7.0: [ 001:05:13 ] - random
r8.0: [ 019:04:01 ] - Ultima
r9.0: [ 005:05:xx ] - mascott
r9.5: [ 020:01:18 ] - f00kerz / KoE / Šragons
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:07   #9
Tietäjä
Good Son

Oh piss... The math seems quite simple (well, quite like the maths I did in elementary school), but some of the analogies are pretty odd.

Taking zillions of practise tests sounds like a pain to me.

Ack. Maybe I'll just take it easy and just go do it without too much stress or preparation.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:10   #10
princess
teh emp

princess is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, the american way

r4.0: [ 169:24:20 ] - n00b
r5.0: [ 036:17:24 ] - f00kerz
r6.0: [ 004:02:14 ] - f00kerz
r7.0: [ 001:05:13 ] - random
r8.0: [ 019:04:01 ] - Ultima
r9.0: [ 005:05:xx ] - mascott
r9.5: [ 020:01:18 ] - f00kerz / KoE / Šragons
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 15:41   #11
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Your english seems better than many americans.
He says "Maths", which instantly puts him above all Americans.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote