User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 22:44   #1
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
New galaxy/universe

what about an entirely new galaxy/universe which is entirely 3D where you can type co-ords in like you can now and it instantly points you in the right place, but also a free look mode where you can cruise around the universe and look at planets in a 3D universe ... not entirely sure how to put 3D content in a webpage but I've seen it done before

You could group galaxy together and same with clusters etc...

Will post some suggestions on how to organize where the planets are... but what yous think?

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:11   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: New galaxy/universe

i think the amout of time it'd take pa to code this could be better spent on things that would make the game better. plus, i'd imagine it'd have to be done in activx (does anything other than ie support this?) or java applets. does pa have these coding skills?

-mist
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:52   #3
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets not get carried away yet
Will be called imperium galactia soon at this rate hehe.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 03:44   #4
Vencedor

I've never played that game noah02 ...
Anywayz, I think it could be a good way of attracting new players becuase I KNOW that a heap of my friends would never even consider playing PA just cuz you can't "see stuff"

I think that it would greatly attract more player having that type of stuff... ofc for the old players you could have an option to turn it off... but start with it ON

9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 11:20   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i could do the 3d graphics if someone wrote me a java display applet around it - havign said that i coudl probably pillage one form something on google.

it would be fun, but potentially anoying.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 22:42   #6
Vencedor

Re: [Discuss] New galaxy/universe

But it would add more of a "Game feel" to PA
I think it'd be sick...
I could understand that you wouldn't have time to design and dev it for round 13 ... but round 14 ?

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 05:14   #7
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

or at least be able to actually assign defense fleets around or behind asteroids and space debris or some crap, can be 2D, doesnt have to be a fancy 3D concept.. a flat outline of your base and planet, where u can strategically place your defense fleets where it can "ambush" or intercept hostile incomings, making the smaller planets (being attacked by a much bigger one) stand a chance during battles... and also attacking fleets will be able to scan what the target's actual planet and base and "hiding places" look like so the attacker can click on "arrows" that will order attacking fleets on how to approach a target - kinda like a "romance of the 3 kingdoms" set-up but with Pa, it's fire and forget - after u deploy the approaches and deploy defense fleets, it cannot be changed anymore

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 05:41   #8
Vencedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
or at least be able to actually assign defense fleets around or behind asteroids and space debris or some crap, can be 2D, doesnt have to be a fancy 3D concept.. a flat outline of your base and planet, where u can strategically place your defense fleets where it can "ambush" or intercept hostile incomings, making the smaller planets (being attacked by a much bigger one) stand a chance during battles... and also attacking fleets will be able to scan what the target's actual planet and base and "hiding places" look like so the attacker can click on "arrows" that will order attacking fleets on how to approach a target - kinda like a "romance of the 3 kingdoms" set-up but with Pa, it's fire and forget - after u deploy the approaches and deploy defense fleets, it cannot be changed anymore
Now THAT would be cool
But with 3d gals too

demiGOD, you should suggest that in your own thread in the Suggestion forum cuz it's not really to do with a 3d universe, but I do quite like that idea!

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 15:24   #9
Vencedor

just a *bump*

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 23:15   #10
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
Combat turns into luck then, unless there would be a scan availeble to see what defensive position your enemy is in and you could change your 'attack patern' or whatever in flight.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 23:43   #11
Vencedor

Can a mod please move the posts about "planetary defense patterns" or whatever into a new thread as they do not really belong in here...
thanks.

Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:30   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

can a mod please consign this thread to the waste basket, where it was untill its author bumped it...
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:56   #13
Vencedor

So what? now you're just deciding the idea is just "waste" ??
How's it your position to say that?
If I'm not mistaken, it still has "[Discuss]" at the beginning of it which means it's not closed, hasn't been rejected and hasn't been approved.

Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:58   #14
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

imho,

I think the idea is just a flash in the pan, yes it would look nice, but Planetarion has never been about looking nice, it's about stratedgy/commitment/alliances nothing to do with looks.
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 01:16   #15
Vencedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
imho,

I think the idea is just a flash in the pan, yes it would look nice, but Planetarion has never been about looking nice, it's about stratedgy/commitment/alliances nothing to do with looks.
BUT, the game is dying (face it) and to get more players it is going to have to look more like a GAME
Although there are a lot of us that couldn't care less about the look of the game and wouldn't care if there were ANY gfx there are a lot MORE people that do care about the look ...
You may see it as a "waste of coding time" but what's the point of coding other stuff if you end out with no players to use the features, or no game at all?

Unread 15 Jan 2005, 01:23   #16
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vencedor
BUT, the game is dying (face it) and to get more players it is going to have to look more like a GAME
Although there are a lot of us that couldn't care less about the look of the game and wouldn't care if there were ANY gfx there are a lot MORE people that do care about the look ...
You may see it as a "waste of coding time" but what's the point of coding other stuff if you end out with no players to use the features, or no game at all?

ok I take the slap, make it look pretty, but let me have the option to switch it off...
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 01:49   #17
Vencedor

all the options to "turn it off" is ridiculus I think
I don't have anything against it but like, in every game you play do you set all gfx to minimum? no I don't think so ...
But yeah if people must have it

Unread 15 Jan 2005, 02:11   #18
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Why do you need it to be 3d? It will make it slower, and it's not needed because it's a game of strategy and stats. It's an online game not a game you can go to a shop and buy.
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 12:44   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

the game is dying because it's old. it needs significant changes to make it fresh again. given limited coding time you can either have a good game with minimal graphics or a crap game with flash graphics. which do you want?
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 17:33   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

3d graphics is not the way forward for pa at this time - improved graphics maybe but not 3d

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread