User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 21:15   #1
Lord Skar
hitch hiker

Lord Skar is an unknown quantity at this point
amp-boost

one really annoying thing is when you can't scan some dude... how 'bout making it possible to pay some/many resources to get a one-scan boost to your amps???
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 21:34   #2
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough
Re: amp-boost

So why build amps in the first place if you can just pay for this "scan boost"?
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 21:53   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
So why build amps in the first place if you can just pay for this "scan boost"?
if it was very expensive

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 22:56   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

That would favor the big planets. And scans can be transfered, so you can get others to scan for you...
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 23:52   #5
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
if it was very expensive
True. But building distorters is part of some people's plan to not be attacked. It deters some attackers from attacking if they can't get a scan through to see what he has etc. I don't think that a payment, no matter how expensive, should be included to see what he has. If you can't scan someone that's not the guy you're scannings problem.
Unread 15 Dec 2004, 00:54   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
True. But building distorters is part of some people's plan to not be attacked. It deters some attackers from attacking if they can't get a scan through to see what he has etc. I don't think that a payment, no matter how expensive, should be included to see what he has. If you can't scan someone that's not the guy you're scannings problem.
maybe then covert ops should be mroe effective but much mroe exapensive - so u can pay a fortune and blast the amps away.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 Dec 2004, 00:57   #7
Lord Skar
hitch hiker

Lord Skar is an unknown quantity at this point

the cost could be a % of value or score... then big planets is hi as hard as small...

for the reason to build amps or not... make a max % like 5 or 10 that can be boosted...
Unread 15 Dec 2004, 04:21   #8
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think this is a bad idea wouldnt people just give up on building distorters altogether if they knew it was pointless. People use distorters and amps in attack strategies if everybody had the ability to pay money to scan whoever they wanted then these would be a carefully thought part of some peoples defences and attacks gone. I think Kal is on the right lines with making the covert-ops more effective but more expensive but then as Gerbie said this would benefit bigger players. Also if covert-ops were more effect for Information black out then wouldnt that start people moaning about having 2 building destroyed on a regular basis.

Personnally I think you are on a fine line when playing with such things because it has some good benefits but then major drawbacks. There is nothing wrong with the current scan system sure it gets annoying when a planet is to well protected but surely that is part of the game. If you want to be better at scanning you would have built more amps. If you wanted to be better at covert-ops you build more security centres and muck about with your engineering. This sort of change would mean players could be experts in all areas and whats next from there a race that can submerge, emp and cloak? (i know thats not what you are susgesting but im just trying to illustrate my point.)

Surely when you designed things the way you have you did it with a purpose. At the moment i think it is annoying when you scan and it is a fail but i still think it is fair. However this is just my feelings on the matter im sure people have more to say
Unread 15 Dec 2004, 13:27   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by macros69
i think this is a bad idea wouldnt people just give up on building distorters altogether if they knew it was pointless.
Agreed.

Quote:
People use distorters and amps in attack strategies if everybody had the ability to pay money to scan whoever they wanted then these would be a carefully thought part of some peoples defences and attacks gone.
Also agreed. Making it possible to work around the amp limit changes the function of jammers. Instead of being impossible to scan, you'd be expensive to scan. This means that people who build jammers to avoid being hit will lose out bigtime, meaning you need to be much more active to play inactively (sic).

Quote:
I think Kal is on the right lines with making the covert-ops more effective but more expensive but then as Gerbie said this would benefit bigger players.
When you use 'but' twice it's usually a clue that you don't actually mean what you first said. Gerbie was right. Top100 planets have to maintain high security levels anyway, giving them more power by making it easier for them to use their resource advantage is a bad idea.

Quote:
Also if covert-ops were more effect for Information black out then wouldnt that start people moaning about having 2 building destroyed on a regular basis.
Yes, that's another concern. Currently destroying buildings is balanced because of the time it takes to rebuild stealth and for security to drop. Unlike say structure killers, this is pretty well balanced at the moment.

Quote:
Personnally I think you are on a fine line when playing with such things because it has some good benefits but then major drawbacks.
Some good benefits and major drawbacks is hardly any fine line, it's a pretty clear negative.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the current scan system sure it gets annoying when a planet is to well protected but surely that is part of the game. If you want to be better at scanning you would have built more amps. If you wanted to be better at covert-ops you build more security centres and muck about with your engineering.
Again, correct.

Quote:
Surely when you designed things the way you have you did it with a purpose. At the moment i think it is annoying when you scan and it is a fail but i still think it is fair.
Yes, fair is a key word here. Allowing extra expenditure to get through distorters is not fair.
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:35   #10
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Discuss] amp-boost

can we please decline this idea. For all the reasons i said above unless you can think of any serious advantages me or banned or any of the people not for this have thought of.
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 08:30   #11
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by macros69
iwhats next from there a race that can submerge, emp and cloak?
That would be Zik r6 - r9.5
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 20:15   #12
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I kinda like it how it is now.. this would only make distorters completly useless... well.. if ur a decent sized planet that is..
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:23   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

this basically makes the current scan system pointless - declined

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread