User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 29 Oct 2004, 16:09   #1
higginz
||Dude||

higginz will become famous soon enoughhigginz will become famous soon enough
Space wars, not near ur planet

Dunno if this would work much, but might be worth a think

What if we could meet an attacker in space, like before they get to our planet, if we win then we lose no roids as they are not there to win. If they get thru, then whatever fleet we have at home can av a try, but ofc there would be less at home so wed prob lose more roids

might make a new twist to defence, could be good, maybe like u can send defenders to meet em, but as it takes a tick for the attack it means the eta for when they get to the planet is one later, meanin you could get defence from further away....

might be worth a try

Feel free to destroy my idea, or build on it....jus thinkin anyway
Unread 29 Oct 2004, 18:02   #2
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold
Re: Space wars, not near ur planet

I'm quite sure this has been suggested several times before, and been shot down each and every time.
First of all, define what makes you 'win' a battle far away, not losing all your ships? usually, even with these stats, it will take more than one tick to lose all your ships (especially with 50% bash limit). If attacker(s) loose more than 1 tick it makes defending way too easy. Even if attacker looses 1 tick it makes defending too easy imo.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 29 Oct 2004, 21:08   #3
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

You could always make it more basic (pa is too compliacted these days).

Defenders could fly at say, -1 eta but only with small fast fleets, with the aim of disrupting an attacker, but not kill. Could be useful, if for instance, the battle is even and u want to put some odds in your favour.

You would have to make sure that the battle report for eta -1 attacks come after main attack lands, or else ppl will send 1 ship as scouts so they know what to run, but this idea isn't a completely uesless one.
Unread 29 Oct 2004, 21:36   #4
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

it's completely useless and big people would get nice advantages most likely

Unread 30 Oct 2004, 11:01   #5
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the battles as they are represent this quite fairly. First, in order to travel between galaxies so quickly, the warships must be transcending light speed which is theoretically impossible in normal space... huge warships are far too massive to be a tachyon.

So that leaves trans-dimensional travel (Wormholes, 'ether' travel and the like). Combining either immense speed or trans-dimensional travel with the incalculable vastness of space, it would be pretty much impossible to find out where the enemy are in open space. Again, theoretically, light speed is the highest you can manage in our universe/dimension, and it would take hundreds of years before you'd even see someone coming, never mind finding where they are.

Best you could hope for is a fight in the star system away from your planet, and besides, the way the game mechanics work, the combat as it is could easily represent a battle at the edges of a system. There are no PDS involved, there is simply the battle, if the attackers have the ships to batter through the outter defences, they take roids and can even get close enough to bombard structures. If the roiders/structkillers are destroyed or stunned or subverted in the battle, they simply can't break through the defensive line to cause their damage

Do I make sense?
Unread 30 Oct 2004, 16:40   #6
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

What Shaithess said plus

Whats to stop someone from sending 1 fighter off to defend and delay the attacker by an hour? Whats to stop similar abuse from any system you come up with to close the loophole?
Unread 30 Oct 2004, 23:38   #7
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Delay ships?

Its just to disrupt ships, fk knows how im just following an idea.

And i already stated there must be b report after normal attack lands to stop it being a 1 ship scout.

etc etc
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 02:14   #8
WhenOxyAttacks
Forever Newb

WhenOxyAttacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Why isn't there PDS anymore? they've removed so much, I'm so lost.
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:05   #9
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

I think the PDS was removed to try and stop bashing, though i might be completely and utterly wrong there
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 20:58   #10
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

could you not just send one ship in 2 fleets to meet the attacker and gain 2 ticks and still have a fleet to flee ships?
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 5 Nov 2004, 19:15   #11
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Now I might be wrong, but the arguement of you can't find them doesn't fly here.

After all, you know where they're coming from, you know that they're coming and most importantly, you know where they're headed, thus it's going to be reasonably easy to see where they are, especially since you can actaully detect them leaving their homeplanet and starting towards you, you're telling me it'd be impossible to find them with the same sensors....

Now you could say that it's impossible to disrupt their hyperspace travel or something similar

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 16:30   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

space battles get discussed a lot, but would require a major game change in more ways than one, and in a way combat as it is is similar anyway - u have combat if your pods survuve they get through and cap.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread