User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 14:50   #1
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Reset

Hello, my name is Spinner and I was thinking about resetting the game so that everyone signs back up and the current galaxy problems are sorted.

Once the game is about to launch we will shuffle the universe based on average roids to ensure everyone is failry distributed. Tick will then start and everyone should be happy bunnies.

What do people think?

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 14:50   #2
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Re: Reset

Wow Spinner that is an amazing idea. Lets do it

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 15:31   #3
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

lol
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 15:47   #4
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

You are whining based on personal experience, that is no basis to conduct a reset. The universe bar the galaxies with paid randoms from the go, are more or less even. My private galaxy had to work it`s ass off to do mediocre, if yours isn`t good enough to get a top30 even galrank, then that is your and yours only fault. The shuffle only made sure it was ****ing hard to be top10 gal.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 16:09   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

you could at least have registered an account with a name vaguley like spinner :/

-mist
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 18:38   #6
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Mist- Nah, its funnier this way

_ryzekiel_ - LOL, hark at you with your holier than though attitude. You would not be able to do any better in the same situation...shall I tell you why? Coz we haven't had any other option. We play the game the same as anyone else, but with half the players of other galaxies. We worked hard to get active players before shuffle and we did. Now we don't have that and we haven't received any new players since. So don't just flame as its pretty pointless. This thread was meant to be a silly thing that also got peoples attentions and opinions...but essentially silly. Besides I am hardly alone. Perhaps if you weren't happy with your own situation and looked through the galaxies you'll see many are not at 10 which to me is essential to even stand a chance of a level playing field.

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 18:58   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I have my private galaxy who play "hard", and still have to come across a good random. Yet my gal is still doing ok enough, last round, my galaxy had 1 private pack rather than 2 or even 3 which more or less every other gal had. Yet I still ended top15, everything is possible, all you gotta do is keep motivation up in this game. Which, admittedly is exceptionally difficult. I didn`t flame either btw, flaming would be "**** you ****" etc, I never made any remark towards you yourself. Try and rely on just your private gal to come out okay, in the end that`s who you will trust, and who you will be relying on, not the randoms, who just mainly provide some extra score in these early stages, with the exception of a rare few who are actually capable of playing the whole round, etc.
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 19:05   #8
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Much nicer :-)

To highlight the original point a little I did some leg work. Only one cluster has the full 100 planets with the lowest cluster only having 28. Of the 40 clusters the average planet count is 85, so 8.5 planets per gal. It would be nice to reduce the clusters to 34 and then everyone can be full. That would be a shuffle that fixed the problem, assuming everyone currently playing is active of course (LOL). It would however reduce the large amounts of 5-7 player gals out there which cannot compete or even defend themselves without external help effectively.

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 20:47   #9
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

ferreteus, given the constraints that you can't:
  • restart the round
  • move paid planets
what would your solution have been?

-mist
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 21:48   #10
Ferretus
ARS HQ

With the current situation and those options. Stop the ticker, discuss with the community the options available and then I would be able to answer that as I would be informed of what can be done.

Currently, the game is unbalanced and if I had made such a monumentous uneducated cock up so early on the only logical solution is to reset and only lose 72 hours of game time rather than stretch out the current situation and obviously cause more damage in the long run.

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 22:01   #11
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
It would however reduce the large amounts of 5-7 player gals out there which cannot compete or even defend themselves without external help effectively.
Admittedly that doesn't help with defence as you're more likely to be hit with few gal members, but at the same time PA is a team game, the only way to do well at this game is to join an alliance that will have successful attacks and likewise with defence.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 22:10   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
With the current situation and those options. Stop the ticker, discuss with the community the options available and then I would be able to answer that as I would be informed of what can be done.

Currently, the game is unbalanced and if I had made such a monumentous uneducated cock up so early on the only logical solution is to reset and only lose 72 hours of game time rather than stretch out the current situation and obviously cause more damage in the long run.
being as you can't actually suggest a solution within the given constraints, i'm going to take that as an admission that you don't have one, and are just shouting for the sake of it.

how would rolling the round back 72 hours have fixed anything?

-mist
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 22:22   #13
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
how would rolling the round back 72 hours have fixed anything?
He could've moaned about how unfair his gal ended up some more without realising that most of the universe is the same?
Unread 23 Oct 2004, 23:48   #14
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Rolling back the ticker 72 hours when it happened would have effectively restarted the round as the shuffle happened at tick 72 or 73. Something like that.

As regards to not being able to suggest an alternative, without knowing what options the PA team have available I cannot suggest a solution. When it was agreed in #alliances at the time the PA team did not reset the way the community felt was best (this is to the best of my understanding of what happened anyway).

This is not intended to be about me or be me whinging. So please move away from me :-) and I will hopefully not whinge.

All that needs to be done is reduce the clusters by 6 and we all got full galaxies then everyone is happy as I suggested many posts ago. The fact of the matter is the system was done unfairly and illogically as the game is 600 players down for it to wrrk. There was no way gonna be 600 players sign up once the ticks restarted during that small downtime while the shuffle happened.

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 23:50   #15
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
...the only way to do well at this game is to join an alliance...
It shouldn't have to be that way and I think that is PA's biggest problem.

Unread 23 Oct 2004, 23:53   #16
arbondigo

Why do you think that? How are you going to do well (as in say top 100, or even 250) without the backing of some sort of alliance? If it was meant to be a game played individually there probably wouldn't be galaxies...
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:05   #17
mist
Jolt's best friend

ferretus

the reason that i'm mildly annoyed by your posts is that you keep saying things were misshandled (which they were, although i don't think so in this instance) but have no suggestion as to a way to do it better. this, to me, implies that it was done as well as possible and you just want to whinge for the sake of it.

pateam's constraints were fairly simple. they could not move paid players. this means that they could not reduce the number of gals beyond that which it was reduced to. they could not restart the round totally (which would have been the only decent solution).

given this, pretty much the only options i can see for them were to shuffle the randoms as best they could, or to do nothing. given the HUGE imbalance before the shuffle, and the amount of complaining that was going on i believe that they made the best of a bad situation.

as such, it'd be nice if people would stop bitching about a problem which, frankly, can't be solved and would be constructive in some way, i dunno, perhaps think about how to avoid the problem next time. given the monumental fkup this round start has been, i'd imagine a new way of forming galaxies is fairly high on the list of things to do so people's input will probably even be seen in the final product this time!

-mist
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:09   #18
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Quote:
Why do you think that? How are you going to do well (as in say top 100, or even 250) without the backing of some sort of alliance? If it was meant to be a game played individually there probably wouldn't be galaxies...
I don't want to be a top player. Let the weirdos who have no life do that (no offence to op 100, but you don't get out much). I enjoy playing the game and rank is of no interest to me.

Regardless, I run my own alliance that backs me up should I need it so its a mute point really.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:11   #19
jerome

Why are you whining about how your gal sucks then? Your private gal should surely be enough for fun eh?
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:13   #20
arbondigo

Quote:
I don't want to be a top player. Let the weirdos who have no life do that (no offence to op 100, but you don't get out much). I enjoy playing the game and rank is of no interest to me.

Regardless, I run my own alliance that backs me up should I need it so its a mute point really.
If rank's of no importance to you and you play for fun then you shouldn't be overly concerned by the results of the shuffle should you? It's not like you're aiming for a top 100 finish or top 10 gal is it?
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:22   #21
Ferretus
ARS HQ

My gal is doing as best it can and I'm happy with whom I am with, I couldn't have chosen better, coz I chose them lol. But that doesn't change the fact that 10 players from one gal can easily take out 6 in another and thats before you get alliances involved.

I'm whining for game balance and equality. Not for me, but for the game and the players who are on the recieving end of these problems. Many of my opinions are confrontational on these forums and do not nescesarily reflect my own position and/or bias they are placed to cause discussion and bring about equality. You would think in 12 rounds that many of the problems would be relatively routine with contingencies in place to deal with them.

Anyway. This thread started as a joke and its getting all a bit too bitchy now.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:27   #22
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Quote:
If rank's of no importance to you and you play for fun then you shouldn't be overly concerned by the results of the shuffle should you? It's not like you're aiming for a top 100 finish or top 10 gal is it?
No but its not fun to treated like shit coz you don't have 10 men. Nor is it fun to be thinking whether you are gonna get farmed coz you don't have 10 men. Nor is it fun knowing that you won't likely get 10 men before a month or so. Its not fun being screwed over when you finally get things sorted. Its also 10% less fun per man down you are. Fun does not equal rank, anyone who thinks that is way too competitive for their own good.

As I said before, this is not about me. There may be gals out there who would have liked to have tried but were not given the opportunity.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:33   #23
arbondigo

Sure it's not as fun being men down. But i don't see them making several threads and moaning about it like you
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:49   #24
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Somebodies got to. If nobodies says anything, nothing gets changed and more people leave the game. We all agree that currently its unfair so instead of everyone shooting me down and bitching at me, how about contributing to the discussion. This was originally intended as a joke but now its spiralled into a discussion how about making it a useful one with other suggestions.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 00:52   #25
arbondigo

How about you delete this thread and instead talk to pa-team on irc or mail them?
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:04   #26
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Thats the plan. Been talking to Kal but he is busy person and seemingly the only member of the PA team to ever comment on these boards.

To be honest, I have lost faith in the 'powers that be' ability to think sensibly. So I would expect a reply to be written on the side of an aardvark in binary which, when translated, would say 'fish'.

Besides, it was ahem, Spinner who originally started this post :-)

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:17   #27
mist
Jolt's best friend

not wanting to detract from arbondigo's post, have you considered saying something useful rather than just whining? i find it helps in the getting a response stakes

-mist
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:39   #28
Ferretus
ARS HQ

This wasn't intended as a whine, read original post. It became that as I personally became a target rather than the suggestion.

Suggestions by there nature are whines, they are highlighting areas of problem to be discussed and corrected to make the game better. So anything that involves an opinion can be considered whining. You are currently whining at me for example. Your post is also non productive so actually is in fact whining rather than a suggestion.

But lets not return to bitch land :-)

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:41   #29
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Thread moved from DD.
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:47   #30
arbondigo

No Ferretus you started this thread moaning about the shuffle. You made no suggestions as to what could be done in future to stop the same thing from happening again. You've created numerous threads on the forums moaning about this and that, but in just about every one you haven't made any suggestions at all. Whereas everyone else has made a suggestion about how to deal with it, yet you don't want to take the advice on board and appear quite content with the continual moaning.
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:53   #31
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Thread moved from DD.
Cool thanks for that

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:58   #32
Ferretus
ARS HQ

"you started this thread moaning about the shuffle" arbondigo
See top post. It started as a joke stating the current affair that we all know about.

"Whereas everyone else has made a suggestion about how to deal with it" arbondigo
Can't say I've seen them being taken up and now we have 34 clusters each with 100 planets.

"you started this thread moaning about the shuffle" arbondigo
I've made plenty, but people assume this is personal and spend their time taking cheap shots at me.

So please arbondigo in your unsurpassable wisdom, how would you do it.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 02:05   #33
arbondigo

Quote:
"Whereas everyone else has made a suggestion about how to deal with it" arbondigo
Can't say I've seen them being taken up and now we have 34 clusters each with 100 planets.
You've misunderstood me here, i meant people have made suggestions to you about how you can deal with it. You want to make suggestions then go straight to the PA-team instead of moaning about it on here. Or better still, if Kloopy's thread is still knocking around somewhere why not discuss it there.

How would i sort this out now? You can't it really is that simple. You start shuffling gals around again now and you'll have even more uproar as people have already established contacts, sorted out clusters, irc channels and all sorts. At the end of the day, what's done is done, and you, like everyone else who's playing, just has to learn to live with it.

Last edited by A2; 24 Oct 2004 at 20:18. Reason: fixed quote tags
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 02:34   #34
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

ehem, given the first two posts, cant we move this drivel to 'role playing'?
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote