User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Oct 2004, 12:25   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Dear Limey Assholes...

This article had me laffing a fair bit. Clearly the Yanks don`t like the Brits sticking their noses in.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...329858,00.html

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 12:30   #2
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Dear Limey Assholes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROUD AMERICAN VOTING FOR BUSH!
REMEMBER THE WAR OF 1812?
Didn't we burn down the White House in the War of 1812?

Edit: Even better:

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
As a US citizen, I want to advise you that you and anyone that participates in subverting the US presidential election can be criminally charged and perhaps even charged as spies.
Oh no! :eek:
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 12:37   #3
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

It's true: America's only export is entertainment.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 12:46   #4
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Please be advised that I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI.
Ahahah

This is hilarious.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 12:49   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The problem is that america is a wonderful country full of opportunity and it does indeed have very intelligent people.

However most of these people are concentrated in major cities or financial centres or just places in heavy contact with 'foreigners'.
Its rare you will find people who stay 'in the know' or even care whats going on in the world from tiny little towns in the middle of nowhere. Theyre all quite happy to lead their lives and support their country as best they can.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:04   #6
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say my biggest problem with the American Elections is the lack of information they recieve about the rest of the world, while foreign policy will never be a priority for them, if their "news" outlets actually presented some information about the rest of the world, perhaps then they could have an informed election.

Oh and plus i hate the candiates!

Then again the British system sucks too.... We hear so little about the rest of the world (unless we are waring in that country!)

Lets get some partys with actual standpoints on issues... and differing ones at that!
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:07   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the news outlets do.

but in the same way that some people choose not to eat chocolate. some people choose not to read newspapers or watch tv.

Foreign policy has never ever been a big issue for americans when it comes to elections. To be perfectly honest its not a huge issue in any major western country. Unless you lose a war that is and then things might become a little different.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:10   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

genius, i hope that it is satire though, otherwise i imagine that the guardian might be getting its knuckles rapped
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:12   #9
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no, im pretty sure it was designed for people to ACTUALLY write letters.

i bought the guardian last week or whenever it was they started the 'scheme' and it all seemed pretty serious to me. Though obviously i didnt write a letter, im far too lazy for that.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:26   #10
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Foreign policy has never ever been a big issue for americans when it comes to elections. To be perfectly honest its not a huge issue in any major western country. Unless you lose a war that is and then things might become a little different.
I think it's fair to say that terrorism won the Spanish elections, just as a counter to that. And that was only because of the Madrid bombings 3 days before the elections. But if that were to happen in America 3 days before their elections (hopefully it won't), would it change the minds of the American voters?
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:34   #11
melandron
Brain Overload

When i said that "news" stations don't give a good presentation of world news, they REALLY don't it's incredibly difficult to find out what's happening in the world unless it DIRECTLY affects us... ie a briton is killed or kidnapped. How much do we know about what really matters to the people of papau new guinne, how many people know about the many hundreds of civil wars going on in towns arround the world? I realise that this is driven by the supply demand market, but shouldn't it be somthing more?

PS. I'm as ignorant as the next person
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:45   #12
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by melandron
When i said that "news" stations don't give a good presentation of world news, they REALLY don't it's incredibly difficult to find out what's happening in the world unless it DIRECTLY affects us... ie a briton is killed or kidnapped. How much do we know about what really matters to the people of papau new guinne, how many people know about the many hundreds of civil wars going on in towns arround the world? I realise that this is driven by the supply demand market, but shouldn't it be somthing more?

PS. I'm as ignorant as the next person
Why exactly would anyone want to know the domestic politics of Papua New Guinea for example if you didn't live there? If you want to then use the internet, newspapers can't compete with the internet on matters like that.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:48   #13
melandron
Brain Overload

Just saying that it's hard to make an informed decision on anything that affects everyone else.... ie the US presidential elections.... the UK general elections.... etc.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:49   #14
melandron
Brain Overload

Quote:
I think it's fair to say that terrorism won the Spanish elections
Does anti-terrorism not fall under Defence as opposed to Foreign Policy? (ok maybe both)
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:51   #15
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
The problem is that america is a wonderful country full of opportunity and it does indeed have very intelligent people.
Every country can be said to have a degree of intelligent people. What defines a nation is the percentage of very very dumb people it has who have no concept of the world outside their front door, and cannot comprehend even the most basic of concepts.

America absoloutely EXCELS in its output of exceptionally stupid people.

The most advanced economy and nation in the world has 4% of its population that cannot peform even the most basic of tasks, and this is considered to be a "Conservative" estimate

4% of 294 million people is ..... yep , nearly 12 million adult americans.

Every nation is a land of opportunity if you know where to look. Even Nigeria is a wonderland of opportunity if youre a criminal with a computer. Korea is a fraudsters paradise where you can send 300million spam emails a day and not fear being shutdown.

Bollocks to America if thats its opinion when we try to help. Bollocks to the ****ing lot of them.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:53   #16
arbondigo

Well, speaking for the UK as i'm not American (thank god), i think we have enough information available to us to be able to make a decision on who to vote for. Sure, some information is held back from us but that's the same everywhere. But we can see that the NHS has got worse etc, immigration is still a problem, public transport etc so it's not like we don't have the information we need to make a choice. The only world interests we need information on to make a decision at next year's elections we have. Iraq, Afghanistan and this "war" on terrorism, plus some others which i can't think of right now, we have enough information to be able to make a decision.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 13:59   #17
arbondigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by melandron
Does anti-terrorism not fall under Defence as opposed to Foreign Policy? (ok maybe both)
Bit of both. But the point i was trying to make there was that the ruling PP party were leading all of the opinion polls up until the bombings happened, and they were leading by quite some way too. The main opposition party, the socialist PSOE, said that they'd withdraw all Spanish troops from Iraq if they were to win, and they won.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 14:37   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Dear Limey Assholes...

Unless you can actually say what precisely it was from the event of the Madrid bombings that changed the result, then it's a bit premature to make an argument which essentially amounts to 'SPANISH PEOPLE ARE FRENCH PEOPLE IN DISGUISE' as I've seen some people doing. (Although not neccesarily on here.)

I was under the impression that one of the main reasons was the PP's handling of the situation, with the interior minister almost immediately blaming ETA for the bombs, when there was scant evidence to link them to it, rather than some sort of purely "oh noes, we're being bobmbed for our participation in Itraq!" reaction.

Although frankly, I wouldn't blame some people if they had voted purely on that sort of basis. The Spaniards were against participating in the thing in the first place, and if people believed they were being punished for an action which they had been opposed to from the off, then I don't blame them for being pissed.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 18 Oct 2004 at 14:50.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 14:44   #19
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I agree with MM, the majority of people were against the war before the bombings. If the PP had handled the situation better I'm sure they would have won the election for their strenght in a crisis.
But it's clear that how a government acts in a crisis really tells alot.

They screwed up, blamed ETA immediately even though everyone knew it wasn't ETA's style. They didn't react much at the start, then were deftly silent on the matter for too long. When eventually they were seen to act it was too late, most people had taken their rash conclusions about ETA to be desperate scramblings to cover up the real motives to save them in the polls.

No wonder the Spanish we're pissed.

Doubt that would happen in the U.S. though, a major bombing would probably serve to unite people behind their current president who has a track record on security and making people (any people) pay for Americans dying. They wouldn't stump for a weakish candidate who's not sat in the white house and has no proven experience in these matters.
Then there'd be another fking war somewhere to "make America safer", while making certain people richer.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 14:44   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In my town of Springfield, I feel that there are some that consider people from the nearby cities of Columbus or Dayton, as "foreigners"- let alone someone from outside our country.
How insanely, impossibly, ludicruously parochial and small-minded do you have to be to think like this?

Even people in Cornwall, East Anglia and the Highlands aren't as stupid as this.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:05   #21
arbondigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Unless you can actually say what precisely it was from the event of the Madrid bombings that changed the result, then it's a bit premature to make an argument which essentially amounts to 'SPANISH PEOPLE ARE FRENCH PEOPLE IN DISGUISE' as I've seen some people doing. (Although not neccesarily on here.)

I was under the impression that one of the main reasons was the PP's handling of the situation, with the interior minister almost immediately blaming ETA for the bombs, when there was scant evidence to link them to it, rather than some sort of purely "oh noes, we're being bobmbed for our participation in Itraq!" reaction.
Sorry yes i didn't make it clear, and i do agree with you that certainly the way PP handled the affair didn't help them at all by immediately blaming it on ETA. PP were for the Iraq war, after all the PM at the time was pro-Bush (though he wasn't actually up for re-election), and yes the Spaniards were against it on the whole, but the Iraq war wasn't thrust into the spotlight until those bombings, and when al Qaeda admitted responsibilty for them.

At the end of the day it was easier for the ruling party to blame it on ETA as they've been committing attacks on Spain for the last few decades. But yes, as soon as al Qaeda admitted it was them, after ETA had been blamed, that was the turning point i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Although frankly, I wouldn't blame some people if they had voted purely on that sort of basis. The Spaniards were against participating in the thing in the first place, and if people believed they were being punished for an action which they had been opposed to from the off, then I don't blame them for being pissed.
I can see why people would vote purely on that basis, but before those bombings the ruling party were a long way ahead in the opinion polls.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:07   #22
arbondigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Doubt that would happen in the U.S. though, a major bombing would probably serve to unite people behind their current president who has a track record on security and making people (any people) pay for Americans dying. They wouldn't stump for a weakish candidate who's not sat in the white house and has no proven experience in these matters.
Then there'd be another fking war somewhere to "make America safer", while making certain people richer.
I agree with you here. If an attack was to happen in America in the build up to their elections i think we'll definitely see Bush win.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:08   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Al Qaeda are ****ing amateurs.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:17   #24
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Edit: Even better:

Oh no! :eek:
That was canadian soldiers attacking from canada that burned down the white house, all england did was brand it as their victory... Kinda like how America stopped the nazi's in WWII eh?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:19   #25
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Yeah but back then it was just a 2 up 2 down semi detached with outside loo.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:24   #26
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I read the original idea of this the other day and was gonna post a thread about it...

The original articles can be found here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...326033,00.html
and here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...328813,00.html

Heh, stupid americans.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:31   #27
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
That was canadian soldiers attacking from canada that burned down the white house, all england did was brand it as their victory... Kinda like how America stopped the nazi's in WWII eh?
That would make them part of the British forces then, in 1812.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:36   #28
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick
That would make them part of the British forces then, in 1812.
And World War II wouldn't of been won without American supplies, finances, naval units and other military vehicles and infantry.

So I guess World War II was won by america then.

CAN YOU SEE THE POINT I'M MAKING ABOUT HOW BITTERLY HYPOCRITICAL YOU SOUND?

p.s. Bare in mind Canada was in the position to tell you all to piss off and leave you ****ed as you couldn't do a damn thing to Canada either in the position the 'commonwealth' was in then anyway, as it goes they easily told you to piss off later anyway when you wanted them to do your dirty work that didn't have any personal interest for them, It was Canada that burned down that white house in 1812 and not the UK, as it stood Canada could of sided with the french and you'd of not of had any foothold in the North American continent at all, Canada had a personal stake in burning down the white house, cause America had stolen their Scepter(more of a mace), if this hadn't of happened it would of been extremely likely they wouldn't of complied and sided with the french and kicked English forces out of Canada.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:42   #29
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
And World War II wouldn't of been won without American supplies, finances, naval units and other military vehicles and infantry.

So I guess World War II was won by america then.

CAN YOU SEE THE POINT I'M MAKING ABOUT HOW BITTERLY HYPOCRITICAL YOU SOUND?

p.s. Bare in mind Canada was in the position to tell you all to piss off and leave you ****ed as you couldn't do a damn thing to Canada either in the position the 'commonwealth' was in then anyway, as it goes they easily told you to piss off later anyway when you wanted them to do your dirty work that didn't have any personal interest for them, It was Canada that burned down that white house in 1812 and not the UK, as it stood Canada could of sided with the french and you'd of not of had any foothold in the North American continent at all, Canada had a personal stake in burning down the white house, cause America had stolen their Scepter(more of a mace), if this hadn't of happened it would of been extremely likely they wouldn't of complied and sided with the french and kicked English forces out of Canada.
Do be quiet, I'm not disputing forces from Canada were needed.. I'm just correcting you.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:47   #30
Sunday8pm
Banned

It actually makes them part of the 'Allied' Forces, The Canadian population had an open choice back then to ally with either France or Britain or even join America, As it was Britain wanted to stop America getting any larger, Canada wanted to be Canada, France wanted to shag the Natives, America wanted Canada to be America and pissed them off in a manner that incited them to work with the english because they had a common goal.

Everyone who joined in that war in 1812 from Canadian Territories were not made up of mainly people of British Descent, there was a large portion of Irish and Polish Descent in the army back then and as such it makes it a very canadian and not british army that won the 1812 war, the only reason why britain claim the win? Cause the only British guy there turned out to be the general organising them tactically.

(that and canada hadn't confederated by then and they were technically a colony, a colony that britain had not anymore control of than America itself, it's just that america pissed off the canadian colonies and that's how it happened).

The Summary is to Suggest that Britain burned down the white house in 1812 is as plausible as suggesting that America Won World War II by your same reasoning, if you insist on the first you must agree to the latter absolutely.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:52   #31
nick
modest sagacity

They were part of the British forces, whatever you suggest otherwise is a waste of everyones time.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 15:55   #32
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHA
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:00   #33
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick
They were part of the British forces, whatever you suggest otherwise is a waste of everyones time.
Well you best tell everyone who writes history outside of the UK that then, cause they don't seem to agree with you, and nor do I.

Still thanks for confirming that America did win World War II cause the more I look at things the more I see how they did.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:05   #34
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To be fair a single country did not win WWII, nor did a single country burn down the white house. It's all a matter of percentages. The US clearly did the most out of any single country in terms of winning WWII. My lack of detailed knowledge on the war of 1812 prohibits me from issuing a definitive edict on which country is more responsible for burning down the white house, not exactly a highly laudable action incidentally.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:09   #35
Sunday8pm
Banned

It was mainly x generation Canadians of British, Irish and Polish decent almost equally led by someone British who played on their anger at the american's stealing their scepter when it specifically burning down the White house.

To be fair if Britain hadn't assisted in getting Revenge it was more than likely that Canada would of ended up a part of france, as unlike the British, France were actually working with the natives of the land.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:21   #36
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The force that burn the White House was made up of veteran troops from Europe who had been off bashing Napoleon, they were from Britain not Canada, in addition I’m unsure why the attack is held up as such a great victory, fine we burnt down part of the city but the attack was merely a diversion behind enemy lines so that the British could attack the American naval facilities on the lakes. Any claims by the Canadians otherwise are rubbish, considering Canada didn't even exist at the time quite why they take pride about the British Empire burning the White House is beyond me. Our forces in Canada did however repulse five American invasions with the help of the Natives, which is something they should perhaps be more proud of, weather they'd ahve managed to stop another invasion without the help of British veterans from Europe is another question though most people seem to think not.

Also Britain didn't win the war of 1812 it was more like a draw, Sunday basically get a clue, just because you have some kind of Canadian fetish (Quite why is beyond me) and have read a couple of websites doesn't make you an expert.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:25   #37
Sunday8pm
Banned

Someone's lying.

(did you know however that USA and Canada and the UK and Scotland themselves all claim the invented the Telephone and that is what they teach respectively to their nations children in school? it's amazing what happens in the big wide world eh?)

p.s. if you haven't worked it out basically I'm suggesting that there are many versions of history and not neccessarily all of the ones you are taught during your life are true, you will naturally disagree with some and each nation will produce their own self-indulgent history where almost every event/war/invention was somehow down to them, the fact is that it is mostly not. I frankly believe it had to be canadians cause I doubt it would of been pratical for the UK at the time to commit all their forces through a route that would of led to encounters with the french who weren't particularly fond of the english at the time anyway.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:26   #38
Mr_Blob
The ladies man.

Mr_Blob is an unknown quantity at this point

Russia actually won WW2 in Europe. They did the bulk of the fighting to push the germans back. Even without allied bombing on germany they would have pushed the germans back eventually (hitler going crazy didnt help the german war effort plus the russian weight of numbers). The US can take the credit for ensuring Russia didnt take over the rest of europe once germany was defeated which they would have done if the US didnt have nuclear weapons. The US won the war in the pacific virtually on their own.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:28   #39
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Someone's lying.

(did you know however that USA and Canada and the UK and Scotland themselves all claim the invented the Telephone and that is what they teach respectively to their nations children in school? it's amazing what happens in the big wide world eh?)

p.s. if you haven't worked it out basically I'm suggesting that there are many versions of history and not neccessarily all of the ones you are taught during your life are true, you will naturally disagree with some and each nation will produce their own self-indulgent history where almost every event/war/invention was somehow down to them, the fact is that it is mostly not. I frankly believe it had to be canadians cause I doubt it would of been pratical for the UK at the time to commit all their forces through a route that would of led to encounters with the french who weren't particularly fond of the english at the time anyway.
Well with the amount of anti American propaganda which is forced down the throats of Canadian children, I'm surprised that they aren't taking credit for the moon landings as well as bashing back the American heathens in 1812.

They all have a legitimate claim, Bell was born in Scotland, moved to Canada at a young age and then settled in Boston. Considering the actual phone was invented in America itself they have the best claim.

Really I'd not have noticed if you didn't point it out. Basically if you did any reading other than Canadian history 101 before drawing your own conclusions you'd have known that Britain didn't commit forces from Europe until we were done with the French (1814) as I pointed out in my original post British forces made up largely of Canadians had already held back five invasions by the Americans, however the forces that landed in Chesapeake Bay were made up of British veterans from the war in Europe not British forces made up of Canadians. I'm not going to explain this to you again you can either accept it or continue living with delusions of Canadian grandeur like the rest of the country do.

Last edited by Hicks; 18 Oct 2004 at 16:38.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:30   #40
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
To be fair a single country did not win WWII, nor did a single country burn down the white house. It's all a matter of percentages. The US clearly did the most out of any single country in terms of winning WWII.
I think Vermillion and the Rusian front would like a word with you John.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:30   #41
Mr_Blob
The ladies man.

I used to call the US america, that is until i met a canadian girl. I said america in front of her and she went off her chops! "America! What part are you talking about? Brazil?! Thats part of america! America's a continent!!" After that i was scared of her.....
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:36   #42
Mr_Blob
The ladies man.

The whole idea of forigners going into another country to tell the people there how to vote is very condesding. It will only draw resentment from the locals who would look at it like forigners telling them what to do. Its comparable to johavis witnesses going around to peoples houses and bothering them about their religion. How annoyed do people generally get when they come to the door?!
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:36   #43
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
You radical leftwingers are worse than the Taliban.
It's official folks!
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:36   #44
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Blob
The whole idea of forigners going into another country to tell the people there how to vote is very condesding. It will only draw resentment from the locals who would look at it like forigners telling them what to do. Its comparable to johavis witnesses going around to peoples houses and bothering them about their religion. How annoyed do people generally get when they come to the door?!
So is the suggestion that the Guardian isn't very well aware of what they're doing, they knew exacly what the reaction would be, basically they're trolling.The Americans bit. It's rather amusing.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 16:59   #45
Mr_Blob
The ladies man.

Quote:
basically they're trolling.The Americans bit. It's rather amusing.
People from any country would respond to this type of stuff angrilly. To think its an independant thing for americans to do is silly.

Quote:
America absoloutely EXCELS in its output of exceptionally stupid people.
There are stupid people everywhere. The only reason the US is percieved to have more stupid people is because of the media. Whenever there's a natural disaster or they need an 'average americans' opinion about somthing they always pick out the dumbest person and put them on tv across the world. Then theres shows like jerry springer and rikki lake, that doesnt help. I think because the US is the richest and the strongest in the world the rest of the world wants to make themselves feel more comfortable by saying "at least we're not stupid like americans are".

Quote:
Every nation is a land of opportunity if you know where to look. Even Nigeria is a wonderland of opportunity if youre a criminal with a computer. Korea is a fraudsters paradise where you can send 300million spam emails a day and not fear being shutdown.
This is the most retarded thing ive ever seen. EVER! And ive seen a lot!
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 17:01   #46
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Blob
People from any country would respond to this type of stuff angrilly. To think its an independant thing for americans to do is silly.
The rabid reaction from them makes it far funnier though.It would be funny no matter what country they were from, no one sensible is going "Haha stupid Americans" they're going "Haha stupid people".
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 17:08   #47
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Well with the amount of anti American propaganda which is forced down the throats of Canadian children, I'm surprised that they aren't taking credit for the moon landings as well as bashing back the American heathens in 1812.

They all have a legitimate claim, Bell was born in Scotland, moved to Canada at a young age and then settled in Boston. Considering the actual phone was invented in America itself they have the best claim.

Really I'd not have noticed if you didn't point it out. Basically if you did any reading other than Canadian history 101 before drawing your own conclusions you'd have known that Britain didn't commit forces from Europe until we were done with the French (1814) as I pointed out in my original post British forces made up largely of Canadians had already held back five invasions by the Americans, however the forces that landed in Chesapeake Bay were made up of British veterans from the war in Europe not British forces made up of Canadians. I'm not going to explain this to you again you can either accept it or continue living with delusions of Canadian grandeur like the rest of the country do.
Which is why you managed to turn Quebec eh? From what I can tell the French pretty much continued with a line of terrorism against the english while holding hteir own very large area of habitable Canada. You weren't so much done with them but you were told what you wanted to hear so you could tell people back home what they wanted to hear and just stopped being shithead, I suggest you read up the quebec act and perhaps realise that you didn't ever get done with them, you just lied to yourselves while some who were unhappy about the fact that no-one seemed to mind they were lying to everyone cause they had the freedom they wanted anyway went ahead and committed terrorist acts and murdered and kidnapped and held hostage a lot of english people including an English Lord in their campaign that lasted up until 1960 (cause they still consider English speaking Canadians to be english devils anyway).

In fact England did as good a job as america is doing of Iraq right now... Not something to boast about I think. (including leaving quebec in poverty and destablized until the 1960's)

Funny how history can prove to be cyclical.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 17:18   #48
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When I grow up I want to be American.
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 17:24   #49
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
did you know however that USA and Canada and the UK and Scotland themselves all claim the invented the Telephone and that is what they teach respectively to their nations children in school?
Heh. The article on Alexander Graham Bell in Wikipedia is in the categories "Scottish inventors", "Canadian scientists" and "People from Massachusetts".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 18:05   #50
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
So is the suggestion that the Guardian isn't very well aware of what they're doing, they knew exacly what the reaction would be, basically they're trolling.The Americans bit. It's rather amusing.
The reason most countries stay out of each other's elections is that foreign influence often has the opposite effect.

Enjoy your laugh.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote