User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 12 Mar 2015, 18:51   #1
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
Add Another Iniative (Stats-Mechanics)

Hi all,

as most prolly know i spent some time with creating stats lately - and i stumbled over a significant problem which is called "Same Class Firing".

Having for example Frigates shoot at Frigates results usually in unplayable scenarios where the attacker is not able to land his attacks against his own race(similar shipbuild) - as the defender gets the salvage while the attackers looses his value.
And the higher the D/C of those ships is, the less appealing it gets for the defender to stay - so in worst case you have 2 loosers in the very end.

And since PA is a value game afterall, "Same Class Firing" needs to prevented by the stats maker - cause no one wants a dull and boring round with no attacks landing or silly 1 fleet recalls.

After all its not so much the problem that Frigates target Frigates, but the same init firing for Attack and Defence.

So why not add a second initiative - and seperate Attacks from Defence.

This way a ship can fire early when used to attack, but fire late when used for defending - or ofc the other way round.

Example:
TER Pegasus FR-CLASS targets T1 FR T2 DE AttInit: 6 DefInit: 8 ......

This would open up a new dimension for Stats Makers and as a result a new dimension for us players without changing the Game principles and without making it random or overly complicated.

Yes such a Set might be harder to balance and also harder to read - but for sure the new Possibilities are weighting more then those downsides.

Discuss please

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2015, 19:00   #2
NoXiouS
Mordar, Keel, Reip

NoXiouS is just really niceNoXiouS is just really niceNoXiouS is just really niceNoXiouS is just really nice
Re: Add Another Iniative (Stats-Mechanics)

I've been pondering a bit about a similar idea, it would add some more complexity to the game without really stabbing anyone in the face... but, there comes the question about who to give the advantage to, or is it the statsmakers choice... offensive vs. defensive inits with more offensive or defensive stats etc.

All the war propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. - George Orwell
NoXiouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2015, 19:03   #3
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

would be up to the stats maker ofc - or the one deciding in the very end

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 12 Mar 2015, 22:22   #4
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

I suggested Earlier that ships have Conditional init Modifiers, but i like this one a lot better. It would certainly allow for more diverse stats. Because now you could make a ship that has high attack init but has low defense init making that planet still able to attack while he isnt immune to that specific class.
Unread 13 Mar 2015, 00:23   #5
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

I seem to remember that, in the early rounds, the defenders fired before the attackers. I think that this applied by individual ship not to the entire fleet(s).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2015, 07:22   #6
M0RPH3US
idle

Then maybe the code exists allready?

However, even though i got pretty much no real idea about coding, a second iniative shouldnt force to rewrite the whole battle engine!?

As its probably just 1 routine to check before calcing a ships damage - Attack 1 or 0, then go to column x or y to find iniative.

At least in my world this sounds easy

Unread 13 Mar 2015, 14:07   #7
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

It's definitely the case that in earlier iterations of the game, defenders fired first where the inits were the same. I'm in favour of a more variable design, and this sounds like an interesting idea - though there's a risk that it may lead to an even greater dichotomy of attack and defence ships, with the limited fleet variation and strategy that comes from that.

While we're stuck with a clear attack / defence dichotomy, however, I think it makes perfect sense to work with it. It certainly shouldn't be difficult for the battle code to work out which side's which.
Unread 13 Mar 2015, 14:55   #8
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

this will defiantely incrase the stat making difficulty
Unread 13 Mar 2015, 15:48   #9
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

Its an interesting concept and does definitely introduce more tactical/strategic element to the game. Only reason I would be opposed to it at the moment is that I dont think PA needs to be complicated even more; adding more ways to play the game, yes; making it harder for new players or semi-casual players to play, no.
If the code exists or just needs slight modification then go for it. Having a different way of playing your planet or the game is always good. However if it requires some major changes I would rather have the PA team work on current issues instead of introducing new features where the possibility of unwanted repercussions is unknown.

(If you are wondering what is high on my list of things that need fixing, its the shuffle formula and how to keep galaxies at 7-9 planets even though there are not enough BPs. Basically have the shuffle code not rely on BPs to make galaxies. Also keep refining/changing BP sizes 4+1 is a good step but i would rather see BPs of 3 with no late starter.)

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2015, 18:26   #10
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDrax View Post
Its an interesting concept and does definitely introduce more tactical/strategic element to the game. Only reason I would be opposed to it at the moment is that I dont think PA needs to be complicated even more; adding more ways to play the game, yes; making it harder for new players or semi-casual players to play, no.
If the code exists or just needs slight modification then go for it. Having a different way of playing your planet or the game is always good. However if it requires some major changes I would rather have the PA team work on current issues instead of introducing new features where the possibility of unwanted repercussions is unknown.
i agree that coding time should be spent on more important features - however i am thinking this would be a small change to implement

i personally feel some time should be spent on coding a interface that is easily used from mobiles and i would think the bot planets are worth to think about
^^ if we are adding wishlists now

Unread 13 Mar 2015, 17:57   #11
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about something like this the other day as well...not sure it would work without further complicating creating/balancing stats. Something needs to change...

As mentioned earlier, in previous rounds the defending ships fired first when dealing with ships of the same initiative on both sides.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2015, 04:22   #12
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Paging mz to the thread...

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 16 Mar 2015, 14:30   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Thread seen. Opinion neutral. Carry on.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2015, 19:05   #14
M0RPH3US
idle

Unread 8 Apr 2015, 20:32   #15
M0RPH3US
idle

iīd like to hear some more thoughts about this tbh - as it seems ppl actually (so far) like the basic idea

it would safe us all from the same stats over and over again - or completely "weird" ones like we have em this round (though i personally enjoy the round so far)

Unread 9 Apr 2015, 02:15   #16
Cochese
Retired

I'd also like to keep chewing on this idea. I haven't had much time for PA lately, but I think this is worth investigating further.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 11 Apr 2015, 04:07   #17
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

We should find out if how possible it would be to code this into the game, and if its not that hard lets get this implemented. This is the kind of change that will make the game less Cut and dry, and more strategy based. At the moment most rounds the "strats" are usually 1 or 2 class-based.
Unread 11 Apr 2015, 15:40   #18
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat101 View Post
We should find out if how possible it would be to code this into the game, and if its not that hard lets get this implemented. This is the kind of change that will make the game less Cut and dry, and more strategy based. At the moment most rounds the "strats" are usually 1 or 2 class-based.
possibly... however i believe this kind of change will mean further unbalanced stats. Not that it matters to me.
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2015, 23:47   #19
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Don't like it, don't seem to bring much to the game other than confusing people.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2015, 11:06   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dislike this too, but I've been refraining from saying so, because I really don't have any argument why.

Therefore, feel free to disregard.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2015, 03:55   #21
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I love the idea, but the stats need to be made less huge, perhaps reduce to 3 races.

EMP
DAMAGE
NANO.

Some of the ships have the extra ability to cloak, so it keeps that strategy open..

Note: ETD goes and dies in the corner..

EMP Resist needs to change to EMP Shields(basically guns to freeze), to make the stats a little easier to understand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 3 Jun 2015 at 04:05.
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2015, 03:07   #22
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

or just thinking off the top of my head, inits are shifting by 1 in favor of the defender?

So the defender get to fire the init first.

Att #? / Def #1
Att #1 / Def #2
Att #2 / Def #3
Att #3 / Def #4

however I just noticed that the current stats dont include any fire on self ships (that I can see).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote