User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:34   #51
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about
Re: Speedgames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
that would mean using horrible opera though...
does it? your knowledge of browsers seems rather limited.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:48   #52
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
no defence has been done before... and it was enjoyed last time which is why we are doing it again - the feedback form last time siuggested that we should try it with xp turned off as well - so we are - this is a FREE speedgame remember so I think its fair enough that we should try things out.
ROFL

it was the pathetic fools who were beaten by the likes of me and Jonas, due to our specialitisation in xp-whoring, who wanted a no xp round FFS................... heh reminds of r12 beta gg, listen to the ones who can't take losing heh. *g*

Xp was THE reason that round was fun.. otherwise no def is pathetic heh due to the nature of ship stats where it's almost free roids for certain races on certain targs heh.. but with xp atleast it was slightly evened out as the most roidable races were able to gain higher levels of xp etc

in general, desse's post saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
How about they for once actually try to listen to what the players want ahead of the round ?

Instead of following their own halfbrained attempts at "innovation"

Planetarion to me is about playing in a team, doing things with your friends and having fun.

Playing a round where people will try to farm, multi and generally try to get as easy a ride as possible is just not attractive. And from what I have heard around IRC, a lot of players are really rolling their eyes at this.
summarizes my own and other's stand on this as well.

PS Multi-ing will be there but you'll see more non-multi farms ofc, I mean, speaking personally, I could theoretically talk a good number of people I know via irc etc, into signing up and then just initiating every now and then farm them to shit and the game would be none-the-wiser since the infrequent initiating suggests player-inactivity but thats hardly fun :/
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:49   #53
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
does it? your knowledge of browsers seems rather limited.
to use the text only skin

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:50   #54
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
ROFL

it was the pathetic fools who were beaten by the likes of me and Jonas, due to our specialitisation in xp-whoring, who wanted a no xp round FFS................... heh reminds of r12 beta gg, listen to the ones who can't take losing heh. *g*

Xp was THE reason that round was fun.. otherwise no def is pathetic heh due to the nature of ship stats where it's almost free roids for certain races on certain targs heh.. but with xp atleast it was slightly evened out as the most roidable races were able to gain higher levels of xp etc

in general, desse's post saying:
summarizes my own and other's stand on this as well.
why have we got so many signups then?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:54   #55
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I personally signed up before noting all the features & the situation simply because it was free heh, and tbh, probably won't bother playing at all.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 18:57   #56
cycle o path

cycle o path is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this speedgame. This is the first one that I have been around to play properly and I intend to enjoy myself.

Will there be a reshuffle or are the current gals gonna stary as they are?
cycle o path is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 19:03   #57
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
ROFLit was the pathetic fools who were beaten by the likes of me and Jonas, due to our specialitisation in xp-whoring, who wanted a no xp round FFS................... heh reminds of r12 beta gg, listen to the ones who can't take losing heh. *g*
to tell the truth you weren't really beating anyone
and iirc it was Jonas who was the first to suggest excluding XP next time.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 19:04   #58
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle o path
Will there be a reshuffle or are the current gals gonna stary as they are?
doesn't matter at all as galaxies have no meaning with no defence option.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 19:26   #59
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

If you try something out. Do it good. I remember me and Forest having a meeting, where we gave a lot of input for future speedrounds. We had a plan to get more fun into speedrounds, and get more players.

Sure It's free, but I rather pay for a nice old speedgame, which has a good setup. I get so pissed when thinking about it. You could do such nice things, with so many more players, but again, effort is done which makes a small group happy, and ofcource some people will have fun.

But if you would do it decent, announce it in time AND have it free, i'm 100% sure you could get a speedround like we had before.. A lot of players, good battle's and loads of fun. But this just seems to bright for some people
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 19:34   #60
jerome

Quote:
to tell the truth you weren't really beating anyone
and iirc it was Jonas who was the first to suggest excluding XP next time.
you might wanna ask the likes of SiN who it was who they had to gang up on and also TheRat to clarify which two people were top2 by a considerable amount until the eventual winners(!) 'blocked' heh, Jonas only took over on the 2nd day if I remember right. Point remains, xp made it fun :/ farming however, isn't.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 19:43   #61
cycle o path

cycle o path is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I just like to get to know my gal mates and I just wondered if it was worth it yet. Anyway, even without defense, there's always retal...
cycle o path is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 20:19   #62
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
you might wanna ask the likes of SiN who it was who they had to gang up on and also TheRat to clarify which two people were top2 by a considerable amount until the eventual winners(!) 'blocked' heh, Jonas only took over on the 2nd day if I remember right. Point remains, xp made it fun :/ farming however, isn't.
sorry, didn't know mid round rankings count now. i stand corrected.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 20:27   #63
jerome

oh, end rankings show everything eh? then I ended one of #4, #6 or #8(hazy memory, I think #8?), heh. So, where did that leave your argument?:/
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 20:42   #64
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
oh, end rankings show everything eh? then I ended one of #4, #6 or #8(hazy memory, I think #8?), heh. So, where did that leave your argument?:/
#8 it was, your memory is not that bad. might want to add for those who weren't there that not even 20 played on 2nd day.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 21:00   #65
Henchman

Henchman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think last speeder worked great.. removing the XP is imo not the way to go.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 22:24   #66
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
retals? red defense? Do such things even work in todays pa universe?
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 22:34   #67
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraCida
yes but with random gals won;t it be mroe efficent on the whole to just relly on friends - having said that the gals are pretty balenced as they are now

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 22:35   #68
jerome

Quote:
#8 it was, your memory is not that bad. might want to add for those who weren't there that not even 20 played on 2nd day.
Hence my reference to non-end ranks...
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 09:43   #69
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraCida
retals work, but are in no way related to galaxies. red defense ingal is not possible.
so, like i said, galaxies have no meaning.
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 11:38   #70
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about

Let's face it..

Speedrounds as we knew and enjoyed do no longer exist. The no def rule has made it a silly game.

The number of players is dwindling aswell, as someone stated earlier only 20(!) ppl were playing on Sunday, in a free game! sheesh. So the argument of it attracting more players is nonsense as I remember speedrounds with quadruple that amount on the second day in PAID speedgames.

My advice to PA team: Listen to the players and try not to force your ways. Imo you are loosing out here.

Rgrds,
Yama

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 12:03   #71
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaZZam
The number of players is dwindling aswell, as someone stated earlier only 20(!) ppl were playing on Sunday, in a free game!
you misunderstood that, the last speed game was without def too, but it was paid.
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 12:14   #72
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about

Right, then it shows that the no def rule is to blame for the dwindling amount of players imo.

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 16:54   #73
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaZZam
Right, then it shows that the no def rule is to blame for the dwindling amount of players imo.
tbh we are having excellent fun on this speedgame its great
Everyone is loving it even the ppl getting bashed coz you can bash right on back without worrying about defence
l33t.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 17:01   #74
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
tbh we are having excellent fun on this speedgame its great
Everyone is loving it even the ppl getting bashed coz you can bash right on back without worrying about defence
l33t.
really? i know a few people who think the constant launch - roid - get roided - launch -roid - get roided gets a bit too boring after the 5th repetition and just quit (including me).
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 18:49   #75
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I quite enjoy it tbh, and I think 500 others would agree with me, im having some fun at least.
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 21:00   #76
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
really? i know a few people who think the constant launch - roid - get roided - launch -roid - get roided gets a bit too boring after the 5th repetition and just quit (including me).

Well tiz not my fault you aint got a sense of humour

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 01:17   #77
Eragon

Eragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I must say the speedy was the first time I have played since round 5 and I have to say I had a truly great time. And I must say I enjoyed it so much I will be coming back to play in the next round.

But most of all I would like to thank the whole P.A Team for putting this on I had a great weekend thanks to you guys/girls.

Hey I think I finished about 160th but from the fun side and getting to know all the new people here I finished 1st.

The only bad thing I saw all weekend was in the IRC channel all the moaning and name calling directed at Spinner and the rest of the team. Hey people get a clue they work there butt’s of for you “BE NICE”
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 01:55   #78
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Had a nice speedround Ended rank 77, was aiming for top 50, but the constant bashing didn't allow me to, but still had a great time Only gripe was that people with 5 times as many roids and double your score were the ones roiding you more often than not, I had no gripe if someone smaller than me roided, or in close score range, good attack by them, but have 4 bs fleets of people twice your size with many more roids just aint fun, especially if there are structure killers in it, ah well. I almost only roided people larger than me with more roids, so I'm happy bout the round
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:14   #79
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
Had a nice speedround Ended rank 77, was aiming for top 50, but the constant bashing didn't allow me to, but still had a great time Only gripe was that people with 5 times as many roids and double your score were the ones roiding you more often than not, I had no gripe if someone smaller than me roided, or in close score range, good attack by them, but have 4 bs fleets of people twice your size with many more roids just aint fun, especially if there are structure killers in it, ah well. I almost only roided people larger than me with more roids, so I'm happy bout the round
Good going
Were did are gal end up in the end?

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:27   #80
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

I thought around 17 or so.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:51   #81
jerome

I thought the speedgame got a bit of tedious after repeated launching and nothing else which was rather boring imo.., and without xp as it was pretty much impossible to do half-decent scorewise if you came in late (aka 200 ticks late etc not 5mins or so) heh. (Especially with no def)
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 17:06   #82
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Well tiz not my fault you aint got a sense of humour
glad to see it doesn't take much to entertain you

tbh it's ok, after all it was good i did NOT spend the whole weekend at the comp.
glad to hear a lot of ppl had fun, particularly about those who didn't play PA recently and consider their return.

but maybe we could have a full featured speed round next time?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 17:08   #83
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I got roided by spinner when i was rank 1, how embarrising :P, infact spinner was the first xan to expose the bomber/sabre tactic ashame he cudnt keep his roids
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 18:22   #84
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i gotta say i was happy with that round, starting to wish pa was only speedrounds.. finished 45th \o/

and the bomber/sabre tactic? (i was xan and did attack with fr but im wondering y that tactic was so good?)