User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 00:50   #51
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
I shall correct you then, what A2 said is correct. I HAVE a copy of the .fcg files (compiled C++ iirc) but, no copy of the sybase database (it got corrupted, wouldn't start and i needed the diskspace back so i deleted it)
Hence, we have the code, but not the database.

As for people saying 'reverse engineer' we can't from compiled C++ (its not in a human readable format) and 'using others', they don't use sybase as far as i know.
It's a binary. What language was used to compile it is insignificant. When people here say "code" they mean "source code". And whatever db it uses, it shouldn't be hard to start it up in debug or tee mode or whatever and reverse engeneer from that.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 00:52   #52
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ok, thanks Mit, that explains.

Karmulian's post stating that PA Team never had the source, and that the only working copy was on a machine that got formatted (with no one having backups) seemed to indicate that you did not have the source code at all. Good to know it's at least still in existence.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 01:44   #53
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraCida
Unlike you I won't pretend to have any feelings towards you of whichever kind, I don't feel sorry for you, I don't like or dislike you, you're a little squeez toy thats fun to play with every once in a while so you'll have to excuse me if I don't share an intricate emotion of mine towards you.

On the other hand, I believe I have made it quite clear that in my opinion the current playerbase is mostly populated by people who can only shine because all the better players have left. Therefore, any positive remark towards general game play of PaX in conjuntion to the playerbase to me is quite absurd because the current players are worth less than a box of empty candy wrappers.

In any case, I'm not against the playing community at all, but comments such as 'omg lol pax rocks cuz we had some liek decent alliance play liek' are in my opinion unsubtanciated, subjective and completely derived from the fact that the lesser players can now be the bullies of the playground.
heh, I seriously hope you didn't consider yourself as one of those "better pple that quit". Who are you, someone who quit, to judge about PAX against pple who actually play? what make the current alliances and pple putting efforts in it less worth then when you did the efforts? It's a load of crap you're announcing. You got that "I quit in time so I'm still cool Cryptic alike" syndrome I thing. He and other oldies also feel superiour cause they quit.

I laugh with such pple

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 01:58   #54
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
I HAVE a copy of the .fcg files (compiled C++ iirc) but, no copy of the sybase database (it got corrupted, wouldn't start and i needed the diskspace back so i deleted it)

As for people saying 'reverse engineer' we can't from compiled C++ (its not in a human readable format) and 'using others', they don't use sybase as far as i know.
Tar 'em up* and PM me for my e-mail address if the code is no good to you then.

*tar -cf source.tar ./source in case you're stuck
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 02:00   #55
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
heh, I seriously hope you didn't consider yourself as one of those "better pple that quit". Who are you, someone who quit, to judge about PAX against pple who actually play? what make the current alliances and pple putting efforts in it less worth then when you did the efforts? It's a load of crap you're announcing. You got that "I quit in time so I'm still cool Cryptic alike" syndrome I thing. He and other oldies also feel superiour cause they quit.

I laugh with such pple

rgds Kj
hahahahaha

Shut up kid

Any of the old alliances would own the collective userbase that exist at this point. Hell, even TPE would own the universe before they all quit.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 02:40   #56
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the most amusing fact about PA is that BlueTuba have actually had more members than the current playerbase.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 11:41   #57
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
hahahahaha

Shut up kid

Any of the old alliances would own the collective userbase that exist at this point. Hell, even TPE would own the universe before they all quit.
I laugh at you, seriously. Get a life, don't quit PA and then hang around bittered on AD making fun of those that still play, you're a joke.

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Jan 2004, 13:37   #58
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...you're a joke.

rgds Kj
Irony.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 16:37   #59
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Irony.
for someone who doesn't care anything about me, you're rather involved aren't you. Or can't you just not accept that pple do not share your vision on what now should be only idiots and noobs playing PA etc? I don't think you've proven to be wordth more then a new member, atleast they don't troll on AD (yet).

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Jan 2004, 17:39   #60
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

*squeez*
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 17:55   #61
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Get a life, don't quit PA and then hang around bittered on AD making fun of those that still play
Why not?
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 18:04   #62
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

It's amusing PA Team can't run the old code, but there's a 15 year old kid around here doing just that....

Pld, indeed.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 18:20   #63
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough

Reading the entire thread before replying and giving away that you havent, is a better option Cochese.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 18:32   #64
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabult
Reading the entire thread before replying and giving away that you havent, is a better option Cochese.

In the entire time I've been here, I have read every post in any thread I reply to, before I reply to it.

All I'm reading here is that the database was deleted, and "can't" be reproduced. This I find amusing, as I said, a 15 year old kid can make/run a perfectly working copy.

Next excuse, please.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 18:56   #65
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
In the entire time I've been here, I have read every post in any thread I reply to, before I reply to it.

All I'm reading here is that the database was deleted, and "can't" be reproduced. This I find amusing, as I said, a 15 year old kid can make/run a perfectly working copy.

Next excuse, please.

You missed a couple of replies then.
As i read it (several times), it would be doable to recreate a db to run the sourcecode on (reverse-engineer it), but it would take a lot of time and effort, time and effort which is better spent on r11.

Whether or not Dave is capable of running his clone, what's that got to do with it anyway?
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:40   #66
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
heh, I seriously hope you didn't consider yourself as one of those "better pple that quit".
He doesn't have to be one of those. He probably knows there are plenty of players who would fall into the category he's thinking of e.g. Sid, Frag, LLG.

I'd like to see alliances from today try to stand up against Xanadu waves or the Fury war machine.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 22:26   #67
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Pld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
I shall correct you then, what A2 said is correct. I HAVE a copy of the .fcg files (compiled C++ iirc) but, no copy of the sybase database (it got corrupted, wouldn't start and i needed the diskspace back so i deleted it)

Wow... so the FCG files are useless, right? It's like saying "Heyyyyyyy, I've got a full working copy of the .exe files, but not the actual source unfortunately."

It's another sign for unprofessionalism, that no previous versions of the source code were kept (but that's no news). Obviously no sort of CVS was used.

And the database "got corrupted"? On its own? Just like that?
Well, if you got such a "valuable" piece of code as the PA's, shouldn't you be working with copies?

And I won't comment your "diskspace decision".......................
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 23:47   #68
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

I think that this is rather sad.. any half decent programmer knows to make back ups and coppies of his source when he makes major changes to it.. And rather thats not the problem, if its a database problem, or whatever, if it was something the half-decent programmer needed to make the program run, im sure he would have it..

This is really unbeleivable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabult
As i read it (several times), it would be doable to recreate a db to run the sourcecode on (reverse-engineer it), but it would take a lot of time and effort, time and effort which is better spent on r11.
If the players want a major part of round 9 back, but there is no way to take a peek at it, how are the new people going to work on coding for round 11.. are they going to start from scratch.. the last time anyone coded from scratch it didnt work that well.

If your going to do something, do it right, if its going to take time to make something worth while, than take the time.. im not going to pay for crap-programming in a game just because it saved time... pld.

Im willing to bet 95% that spinner actually does have some sort of back up, but why should he give it to the new pa team... they might loose it..

/me throws a bone
However, the new pa team is more active on IRC than the creators were...

Gawd.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:03   #69
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
If the players want a major part of round 9 back, but there is no way to take a peek at it, how are the new people going to work on coding for round 11.. are they going to start from scratch.. the last time anyone coded from scratch it didnt work that well.

I'm not sure if this is a question or not..so i'll say this.. they are tweaking pax.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:05   #70
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

on the polls, and on every thread ive seen, players dont want a tweaked PAX they want PA 9 with some PAX features...

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=171593

so if they are going to tweak PAX then they arent doing what the customers want.

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:08   #71
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Er.. actually on that particular poll..A merger of PAX and Round 9 PA concepts. 143 44.27% tweaking PAX has the majority of the votes, while Back to Round 9 and work on from there. 68 21.05% barely has half the amount (:
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:10   #72
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

er No,

IT says a merger of round 10 and round 9 concepts, wich mean you would need round 9 code to be most effective, got the highest amount of votes, and id didnt say tweak round 10.

Tweek round 10 (fix bugs, ect) got the very very least amount of votes, only 7percent

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:12   #73
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Ok to be precise, a complete re-coded game from scratch, merging pax and pre-pax codes, wins.. can we agree?

The 7% is pax with a single bug fixed (one that got fixed already a while back btw)
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:16   #74
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

you said a tweeked PA 10.. in the past, tweeked round have been rounds where hey have fix bugs/changed stats, which is what you were suggesting they were going to do/needed to do/good to..

A complete re code doenst work.. because the last time it didnt work so well, and as far as there only be one bug, i have heard that PAX is potentially full of bugs but it is impossible to tell because there are no formulas to test it with..

And, Debult, if you miss the christmas theme, you can change it back to it in your preferances.. ;-)

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:26   #75
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
He doesn't have to be one of those. He probably knows there are plenty of players who would fall into the category he's thinking of e.g. Sid, Frag, LLG.

I'd like to see alliances from today try to stand up against Xanadu waves or the Fury war machine.
lol, odd that I have only normal respect for those you mentionned, not more or less respect then I got for you or any other gamer I know. So what, they managed a major alliance in a universe of 70k players with 69k noobs? I mean, times have changed, numbers have aswell. Doesn't mean pple are crappy now.

To me it's rather bittered and foolish to run around and yell that the current alliances and players are crap and not upto the standard of the old alliances. Infact I do think there are currently better alliances then a few of the oldies ...

Nway, that's just my opinion about it, but you don't see me running on AD insulting all the current playing pple just cause I quit PA. That's just either a silly attempt to attract some attentiion, which you lost cause you no longer are of any value to PA community, or you're just a troll (which isn't better then the first option).

Respect is something you have for pple that are honnest to you, to pple that meant something to you etc. Sid and co never meant something to me, I didn't even talk that much with them either so I don't see why I should join the "adore them" myth

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 01:01   #76
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Wow... so the FCG files are useless, right? It's like saying "Heyyyyyyy, I've got a full working copy of the .exe files, but not the actual source unfortunately."
The .FCG files we have are suitable for running, but ONLY if we had the database structure to go with them. The fcg files are the compiled version of the game, and hence we can't read them to get the structure.
As we don't have the original source we can't edit it and recompile it in order to use any random DB structure. In order to use the fcg files we have we would have to replicate the db structure preciseley, and as I understand it Sybase is a pain in the arse at best and so doesn't lend itself easily to this recreation (assuming the error messages were useful).

Quote:
er No,

IT says a merger of round 10 and round 9 concepts, wich mean you would need round 9 code to be most effective, got the highest amount of votes, and id didnt say tweak round 10.
Using the concepts from r9 and r10 does not actually require the code of either of them It would be impossible to merely merge them as they were written in different programming languages and using different database systems.

Of course the only way we're going to know which features anyone likes from either round, or any new ideas you have is by talking to us via either e-mail, the Suggestions Forum or by talking to us on IRC either in PM or in #planetarion.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 01:04   #77
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

yeah, but, the more code you have to write over, the greater chance of mistakes/bugs...

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 04:00   #78
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Nway, that's just my opinion about it, but you don't see me running on AD insulting all the current playing pple just cause I quit PA. That's just either a silly attempt to attract some attentiion, which you lost cause you no longer are of any value to PA community, or you're just a troll (which isn't better then the first option).

Respect is something you have for pple that are honnest to you, to pple that meant something to you etc. Sid and co never meant something to me, I didn't even talk that much with them either so I don't see why I should join the "adore them" myth

rgds Kj
The point is that whatever you think about certain players and however much you disagree or agree with what they did, you have to stand back and admit they were outstanding players because their record speaks for itself.

Retired players probably believe alliances aren't as good because although they might be better organised (and i'm not saying they are), people seem to lack the drive that was once around in this game, and that's the difference. When there were more people around, a lot more was at stake for everyone. Plus there's also the basic conclusion that certain individuals who weren't doing anything special when most people were around and now they are suggests that standards have dropped.

I comment on AD partly for my own amusement and partly because i enjoy a good argument from time to time. I think i can make comment from experience and a reasonably neutral perspective because I don't play anymore so have no interest in who wins. No mod has approached me and accused me of trolling, so I presume i'm not posting crap. If you're upset by us giving you and others a hard time there by simply putting our opinions across, then either out argue us and make us go away or **** off whining about us. People seem to be happy when we argue their point of view and outraged when we don't, which is lollerskates as far as I'm concerned. As W says, why not.

All in all as much as I'm not ParraCida's 'best mate' and he's probably being a bit vindictive in this thread, I can still agree with what he's banging on about.

We know things in the game were bad, but we do harp on because we know what has been good; there may be good features from PAX, I don't know. It looks like a compromise between the two is probably a good idea.

Apologies to the mods if this is a bit off topic, but I was bored and felt like a rant.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 04:13   #79
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
yeah, but, the more code you have to write over, the greater chance of mistakes/bugs...
Considering they're planning to write PA11 in PHP instead of Perl or FastCGI, they'll have to rewrite the entire game anyway.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 07:34   #80
Aviendha
RaH !!!

Aviendha is an unknown quantity at this point

I do enjoy a PD every now and again.

And i like how old PA team goes against new PA team.

Tbh, i thought old PA team was crap and new PA team is crap.
Even the days when Pet was part of it, it was crap, i'm very unbiased heh. Or maybe it was just cause Pet was PA team i disliked it so much, I had a nice outsiders look on what went on there and it was a bunch of laughs - not in the positive sense heh.

If you guys had all spoken out as eloquent as you do today against mishaps, it might have gone different, but don't bite the hand as long as it feeds you i guess...

Incompetence is an art-form in PA, Unicef should look into protecting it as a cultural inheritage heh
Who cares anyway, maybe we've all just become too cynical over the years
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 12:45   #81
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviendha
If you guys had all spoken out as eloquent as you do today against mishaps, it might have gone different
I can only speak for the relatively short period I was in PA Team, but I do know several people spoke out on a good amount of occasions against various things. I personally don't remember it being one big group of 'Yes Mister Spinner'-people.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 13:34   #82
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
The point is that whatever you think about certain players and however much you disagree or agree with what they did, you have to stand back and admit they were outstanding players because their record speaks for itself.

Retired players probably believe alliances aren't as good because although they might be better organised (and i'm not saying they are), people seem to lack the drive that was once around in this game, and that's the difference. When there were more people around, a lot more was at stake for everyone. Plus there's also the basic conclusion that certain individuals who weren't doing anything special when most people were around and now they are suggests that standards have dropped.

I comment on AD partly for my own amusement and partly because i enjoy a good argument from time to time. I think i can make comment from experience and a reasonably neutral perspective because I don't play anymore so have no interest in who wins. No mod has approached me and accused me of trolling, so I presume i'm not posting crap. If you're upset by us giving you and others a hard time there by simply putting our opinions across, then either out argue us and make us go away or **** off whining about us. People seem to be happy when we argue their point of view and outraged when we don't, which is lollerskates as far as I'm concerned. As W says, why not.

All in all as much as I'm not ParraCida's 'best mate' and he's probably being a bit vindictive in this thread, I can still agree with what he's banging on about.

We know things in the game were bad, but we do harp on because we know what has been good; there may be good features from PAX, I don't know. It looks like a compromise between the two is probably a good idea.

Apologies to the mods if this is a bit off topic, but I was bored and felt like a rant.

First of all, I have been playing since r1 aswell so I know what rounds were good and which ones I didn't like. This reply was meant in general and not to you personally. But since there is no use in having a decent arguement with parra (since he's only out to provoke, insult and stuff like that) and his minions (they know who they are) I just thought I'd quote your part.

Tbh I couldn't give a rats arse about this game anymore, or about the alliances involved, or about the standard you claim that has been dropped. But I however still read the boards and well, I still got my opinions there. But unlike some I'm not just laughing at the pple who still play and calling them idiots.

You claim there was more dedication a few rounds ago? If that reflects in activity, then you're probably right. Nonetheless I think most players who play to win will have the same dedication then those a few rounds ago. Fact that PAX made it possible to pre-launch fleets and thus causing some pple NOT to stay online all night, doesn't mean they are less dedicated, it means PAX just offered them a solution to their lack of sleep. And this is just a simple example.

Infact, I believe current alliances are alot better organized, have alot higher advanced tech and have alot more experience etc. The only thing they lack compared to the old alliances is members and that's not their fault. Hence I do believe the current alliances would wipe Legion if they had the same amount of members. Then again, that's a personal believe, something we'll never see happen nway.

One last thing Lokken. About the Sid etc part ....

I know what they have realized. But nothing for me, my alliance or anything slightly concerned with me. Hence I do respect those pple for what they did, but I respect my own officers and members more. I respect my galm8's more and I respect my friends more. To me, Sid and co are just bits and bytes in a text based game who have proven they are good at it, and there it ends for me.

Again, that's personal so I don't expect you to agree with it.

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 14:39   #83
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I can only speak for the relatively short period I was in PA Team, but I do know several people spoke out on a good amount of occasions against various things. I personally don't remember it being one big group of 'Yes Mister Spinner'-people.
Strange Leshy because I was given the distinct impression that the reason I was hounded out of PATeam and the various positions I held in the game was due to the fact the "yes men" in the team didnt like the fact I was always speaking out over things I didnt agree with and hence I was considered a "distruption" and my outspoken nature still has me labelled that today meaning I'm instantly looked over when positions open up (for example the assistant admin role on the forums)

Anyway onto what I really wanted to post. Some people here need to WAKE UP and realise that traditional PA isnt the way to go. Traditional PA has some major design flaws that while initially due to being 'alone' in the marketplace and free werent obvious as the numbers masked it but once other games came out of the wood work that were copying PA and PA had to start charging the flaws were obvious. And these flaws cant be removed and the attempts to remove them were like using sticky tape to fix a hole in the hull of a boat. The game needs to evolve and be redesigned like PAX tried otherwise the game has no future and the ability to do this redesign needs done without pressure from this community to keep it the same as traditional PA.

What exactly would this came achieve by staying as traditional PA

+ Keeps Players Happy

- Small/Casual players will continue to dissappear as they grow increasingly sick of the basing
- Big players will continue to dissappear as the shrinking player base makes the game more boring
- New players will continue to stay away
- PA Will become a step closer to being gone forever

I know change is something that is part of human nature to dislike but in reality Change is good. No-one acheive anything by standing still and products and companies that are continually successful are those who are always looking to change to improve themselves. PA is a product that hasnt changed (apart from r10) its fundementally stayed the same with a few cosmetic changes here and there and as such its no suprise its being surpassed by others.

So instead of sitting here and demanding a game that looks and feels like traditional PA we should be supporting any attempt to evolve the game so that the Team arent constantly sitting there second guessing their ideas and thinking "The current players wont like this change, how can we comprimise to keep them happy" becuase we all know that 9/10 comprise doesnt please anyone and meets none of the requirments
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 15:02   #84
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
But since there is no use in having a decent arguement with parra (since he's only out to provoke, insult and stuff like that) and his minions (they know who they are) I just thought I'd quote your part.
I have minions? If your definition of minion is people who agree with me rather than with you then I must be king of the world or something.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 15:07   #85
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I have minions? If your definition of minion is people who agree with me rather than with you then I must be king of the world or something.
thx for proving my point, makes it easier on me

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 15:32   #86
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

I don't disagree on your point. I think you are too stupid to have a normal conversation with and I will take every opportunity I get to insult you for the hell of it, I thought we had established that a while ago.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 16:59   #87
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Strange Leshy because I was given the distinct impression that the reason I was hounded out of PATeam and the various positions I held in the game was due to the fact the "yes men" in the team didnt like the fact I was always speaking out over things I didnt agree with and hence I was considered a "distruption" and my outspoken nature still has me labelled that today meaning I'm instantly looked over when positions open up (for example the assistant admin role on the forums)
As I've said, I can only comment for the period I was in PA Team. As for your outspoken nature, I occasionally agree with you and occasionally don't. I've never been in any position to judge you for any sort of position, hence I can't comment on why you'd be overlooked for any positions either
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:04   #88
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I don't disagree on your point. I think you are too stupid to have a normal conversation with and I will take every opportunity I get to insult you for the hell of it, I thought we had established that a while ago.
haha, did I infact though a sensetive nerve? ohhh my ...

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:13   #89
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

omg...

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:14   #90
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

this thread has turned into a ex-pa team hissy fit.

How Sad.

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:58   #91
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
haha, did I infact though a sensetive nerve? ohhh my ...

rgds Kj
No, I was just telling you the way of things as they are.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:01   #92
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
As I've said, I can only comment for the period I was in PA Team. As for your outspoken nature, I occasionally agree with you and occasionally don't. I've never been in any position to judge you for any sort of position, hence I can't comment on why you'd be overlooked for any positions either
You seem to have taken my comment as an 'attack' on you Leshy, sorry if it came across that way but it was intended to be the case. Was just trying to get across that the PATeam not full of Yes Men wasnt a PATeam I ever experianced, it was one where they didnt seem to like differing views as they viewed it as distrupting rather than the advantagous element that differing views actually are

Quote:
this thread has turned into a ex-pa team hissy fit.

How Sad.
Where so, if your refering to my post I dont know where you got that its a hissy fit. A hissy fit to me suggests that its a bitter and biased rant in reaction to events. The simple fact that the stance I've taken here is one i've taken over PA's Inner Circle as far back as round 3 and continued to do so even when I was in PATeam. And if it was a bitter rant I wouldnt have then gone on to pretty much defend PATeam in the more important part of my thread which you seem to have ignored in favour of the first 3 lines. There simply is a problem with PATeam (although its probally a problem thats in most groups) that people get into it realise to progress further or keep their role they need to be liked by those above them so start to become to agreeable. And obviously agreeable people come off friendlier and hence more liked by those above and hence they progress better. But agreeable people can be bad as poor decisions arent pointed out. Who is to blame for this problem I dont know, might be Management, might be the Team members or it could just be society which has conditioned us to be like but its something which would be good for the game if it could be broken.

Oh and one other point for it to be a hissy fit youd expect there to be some desire for personal gain from the person which is certainly something i'm not after. If PATeam were to offer me a position right now due to this so called 'hissy fit' I almost certainly wouldnt take it, ofc id have to carefully consider it but quite franly i'm happy with the responsability I have atm. All I want to ensure is we have a PATeam whos subjective so they get the best out of the game (plus alo try and help get you lot pulling in the same direction as PATeam when it comes to the game so your not trying to keep the game staying still where its quite frankly going to struggle to survive)

And one last thing was there any need for your post to take up TWO POSTS?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:06   #93
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
No, I was just telling you the way of things as they are.
haha, sure it was ...

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:08   #94
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
There simply is a problem with PATeam (although its probally a problem thats in most groups) that people get into it realise to progress further or keep their role they need to be liked by those above them so start to become to agreeable.
Shout at me if i start being too agreeable .

Kj and Parra - please stop the childish trolling and flaming of each other. I dont mind you putting across your opinions, even if it happens to be a negative comment about PA team, but please dont fill threads with petty arguments.

P.S. i dont think Qdeathstar's comment was aimed at you Wakey.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:16   #95
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Shout at me if i start being too agreeable .

P.S. i dont think Qdeathstar's comment was aimed at you Wakey.
Oi stop being too agreeable

I wasnt sure and thought i'd have the rant at him now while i had time instead of wait for the responce and not have time to rant later as it takes less time to apologies
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:41   #96
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviendha
If you guys had all spoken out as eloquent as you do today against mishaps, it might have gone different, but don't bite the hand as long as it feeds you i guess...
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, I'm crying here. You have no ****ing idea how ironic this statement is, and how utterly clueless it shows that you are. You obviously were not involved with PA and the controversies back in round 2 and 3, both inside pacrew, on the forums, and in the beta.

YOU ARE A TOTALLY IGNORANT MORON WHO DO NOT KNOW NOT TO SPEAK ON THINGS YOU HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF.

Planetarion destroyed any and all potential for relevant and good feedback very VERY early on. Many people went to EXTREME lengths to get Spinner&co to change course and avoid a horrible trainwreck, and it only strenghtened their resolve to do it their own way and **** up grandly.

Ok, I think I can manage to breathe again after laughing too hard. Seriously. Never post about the past of PA again. Atleast not without actually learning what went on from the people who were there.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:55   #97
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Atleast not without actually learning what went on from the people who were there.
People like yourself who so kindly offer their advice and knowledge in a kind and considerate manner.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 19:44   #98
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

no wakey, not you ;-)

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 19:59   #99
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, I'm crying here. You have no ****ing idea how ironic this statement is, and how utterly clueless it shows that you are. You obviously were not involved with PA and the controversies back in round 2 and 3, both inside pacrew, on the forums, and in the beta.

YOU ARE A TOTALLY IGNORANT MORON WHO DO NOT KNOW NOT TO SPEAK ON THINGS YOU HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF.

Planetarion destroyed any and all potential for relevant and good feedback very VERY early on. Many people went to EXTREME lengths to get Spinner&co to change course and avoid a horrible trainwreck, and it only strenghtened their resolve to do it their own way and **** up grandly.

Ok, I think I can manage to breathe again after laughing too hard. Seriously. Never post about the past of PA again. Atleast not without actually learning what went on from the people who were there.
god you're an idiot ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 20:09   #100
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
no wakey, not you ;-)
Woops sorry for the rant then

Quote:
god you're an idiot ...
W's not really an idiot its just his posts are often arrogant and condescending which ends up masking anything useful he has to say and hence gives the impression to people hes an idiot
The Farnborough Crew
Closed Thread