User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2003, 14:26   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
need dutch translation

Quote:
Prijzenslag kost supermarkten veel marge

De prijzenslag in de supermarkten kost de ketens op jaarbasis tussen de 500 en 600 miljoen euro winst. Sommige ondernemers verdienen inmiddels niets meer, aldus supermarktdeskundige G. Rutte. De kans is groot dat er banen geschrapt worden.

Prijzenslag
De supermarktoorlog barstte vorige week los toen Albert Heijn de prijzen van duizend producten verlaagde. De andere belangrijke ketens volgden. Het offensief heeft zich woensdag verhevigd. Albert Heijn heeft het mes gezet in de prijzen van nog eens driehonderd producten. Konmar en Super De Boer hebben elk honderd producten goedkoper gemaakt. Hiermee wil moederbedrijf Laurus de prijsafstand met Albert Heijn handhaven.

Snijden in personeelsbestand
De supermarkten kunnen op verschillende manieren het verlies in de winstmarge opvangen. Het snijden in het personeelsbestand is volgens Rutte waarschijnlijk. Albert Heijn heeft al 440 banen geschrapt, maar de deskundige verwacht dat het er wel meer worden.

Ook bij andere ketens staan er volgens hem arbeidsplaatsen op het spel. ,,Niet in de winkels, maar vooral op de hoofdkantoren en in de logistiekdivisies.''

Leveranciers onder druk
Verder kunnen de supermarkten de leveranciers onder druk zetten om de prijs van de producten te verlagen. Het frisdrankenconcern Coca-Cola wil wegens de prijzenoorlog samen met zijn klanten de kosten van de logistiek verlagen. Bovendien kijken de supermarkten en Coca-Cola naar manieren om meer producten te verkopen, aldus een woordvoerster van de Amerikaanse onderneming woensdag. Ze wilde verder niet ingaan op de plannen.

Rutte denkt dat de prijzenoorlog nog niet is afgelopen. ,,Er komen waarschijnlijk nog meer producten waarvan de prijs wordt verlaagd.'' Albert Heijn staat daarbij sterk in de schoenen wegens de onlangs doorgevoerde reorganisatie.
what does this mean? i can guess some of the words (like supermarketen, arbeidsplaatsen, etc.) but what is it about exactly? as i understand it it is about droping prices for supermarkets, is that correct?
(someone posted it in another forum in a discussion about the budget-criteria of the euro and about how much we ****ed up things. im only posting this here because i have no idea how this is related to the topic)
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 14:51   #2
I'm Not Grimble
dennaB

I'm Not Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: need dutch translation

Something about a price-war costing the supermarkets lots of money, I think.

I wish I knew dutch.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:08   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

correct.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:40   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

It is a treatise on the cost effectiveness of tying homeless people to sweeping brushes and then laying out a trail of pennies for them to follow in order to keep the streets clean.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 18:51   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
what does this mean?
Quote:
Price war costs supermarkets lots of margin

The price war in the supermarkets is costing the companies between 500 and 600 million euros of profit annually. Some entrepreneurs are by now not even turning a profit at all, according to supermarket expert G. Rutte. Chances are high employees will have to be fired.

Price War
The 'War of the supermarkets' broke out last week when Albert Heijn lowered the prices of about a thousand products. The other important supermarket chains followed. The offensive intensified on wednesday, when Albert Heijn cut prices on an additional 300 products. Both Konmar and Super de Boer have decreased the cost of a hundred products each. By doing this, the Laurus corporation is trying to maintain the price difference with Albert Heijn.

Cutting down on personnel
Supermarkets have various ways of soaking up the loss in profit margins. Cutting down on personnel is the most likely option, according to Rutte. Albert Heijn has already fired 440 employees, but the expert expects more will follow.

In other companies, jobs will be at stake as well, he says. "Not in the shops themselves, but mainly in the main offices and logistics divisions."

Suppliers under pressure
Another thing supermarkets can do is pressure the suppliers to lower product costs. Soda company Coca-Cola wants to lower the logistics costs with it's customers as a result of the price war. Additionally, supermarkets and Coca-Cola re looking for ways to increase sales, according to a spokeswoman for the American organisation. She refused to expand on specifics.

Rutte feels the price war has not ended yet. "More products are likely to have their prices lowered." Albert Heijn occupies the high ground in that regard, because of recent reorganizations.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 19:01   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i still cant see how this usefull to defend our actions against the stability pact,in fact it looks more like the opposite: the netherlands have economical problems aswell and still can get along with the 3%. (he posted some more in the last hours, but i guess i understood most of it) but thanks for the translations everyone.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:02   #7
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light

We currently are only barely able to keep our budgetary deficit below the 3% mark and can only do so by heavily cutting in social security, healthcare, public transport and loads of other areas. This in combination with an agreement between government, employer and labour unions on banning structural wage increasements for the coming years is how our current government thinks to eventually overcome our economic problems.
No positive initiatives whatsoever to turn the tide.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 20:37   #8
wu_trax

at least they try something. here, however, people only discuss. that is what they have done for the last 20 years and what they most likely will be doing in 20 years
as i understood it you had the choice to either cut your pension and healthcare system or do something about the wages. (and for a trade-depended country like the netherlands having such a crap country as germany as your lagest trading partner ,mot likely causes some extra-problems)

i dont think that 3%-limit makes sence under all possible circumstances, but first demanding such a pact, then beeing the first to beak it and after that demanding to foget about the whole idea makes a country and a goverment look somewhat stupid. in other words: we are not in the position to change a treaty after we broke it.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 12:22   #9
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i dont think that 3%-limit makes sence under all possible circumstances, but first demanding such a pact, then beeing the first to beak it and after that demanding to foget about the whole idea makes a country and a goverment look somewhat stupid. in other words: we are not in the position to change a treaty after we broke it.
Do you need more financial guru's to tell you that its bad not to break the 3% limit? I mean, we've basically had every bank president in europe say that its crap, not to mention the prime example from the 80's when the exact same thing happened and cost everyone a shit load more money in the end.

It's short gain win for a long term loss, the pact was made for this very reason, they didn't just pick 3% arbitrarily.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 12:44   #10
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraCida
Do you need more financial guru's to tell you that its bad not to break the 3% limit? I mean, we've basically had every bank president in europe say that its crap, not to mention the prime example from the 80's when the exact same thing happened and cost everyone a shit load more money in the end.

It's short gain win for a long term loss, the pact was made for this very reason, they didn't just pick 3% arbitrarily.
if you try to safe money during a recession you only make things worse. if you have low inflation and low intrest rates, i dont know why a country shouldnt run into debts to start up the economy. even bush seems to have sucess with this.
but as i already said, you cant sign a treaty and then try to change it the first time you run into problems. its just not right.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 13:03   #11
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
if you try to safe money during a recession you only make things worse. if you have low inflation and low intrest rates, i dont know why a country shouldnt run into debts to start up the economy. even bush seems to have sucess with this.
but as i already said, you cant sign a treaty and then try to change it the first time you run into problems. its just not right.
Look.

I know, you're just trying to defend your countries actions, I understand. But don't try to convince me or anyone else of the fact that in the longterm these decisions are bad. The chairman of the CEB has said time and time again that this is bad economic policy, and hes french for goodness sake.

Anyway, you are on your way to becoming an american, congratulations.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 13:30   #12
wu_trax

Quote:
Look.

I know, you're just trying to defend your countries actions, I understand. But don't try to convince me or anyone else of the fact that in the longterm these decisions are bad. The chairman of the CEB has said time and time again that this is bad economic policy, and hes french for goodness sake.
i said TWICE that we are in no position right now to change that treaty. if we wouldnt have our current problems we would demand that france sticks to the treaty, just like the netherlands and austria do right now. i do not agree with the way my goverment handeled this.
all i said is that under some circumstances and if the money is spend in an efficient way it makes sence to run into debt to get the economy started again. this not what happens in germany right now, the money isnt used for investments but to pay for an far too generous wellfare-system. (thats why our current budget violates not only the maastirch-crietrias, but also our constitution). for example, we spend 16 billion on subsideries for coal mining and another 25 billion on tax-cuts and payments to churches (!). if we would cut this we could safe lots of money and wouldnt have any problem whatsoever with the 3%.
Quote:
Anyway, you are on your way to becoming an american, congratulations.
dont try to insult me im not even sure how well bushs tax-plans work. to give the rich more money doesnt make much sence to me. it neither increases demand nor investments, but nevertheless it seems to work right now. more than 2% growth per quarter isnt all that bad, we have less than that for the whole year.

Last edited by wu_trax; 27 Nov 2003 at 13:38.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:14   #13
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

"Chances are high employees will have to be fired."

Isn't that discrimination against cannabis smokers?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:23   #14
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
i said TWICE that we are in no position right now to change that treaty. if we wouldnt have our current problems we would demand that france sticks to the treaty, just like the netherlands and austria do right now. i do not agree with the way my goverment handeled this.
all i said is that under some circumstances and if the money is spend in an efficient way it makes sence to run into debt to get the economy started again. this not what happens in germany right now, the money isnt used for investments but to pay for an far too generous wellfare-system. (thats why our current budget violates not only the maastirch-crietrias, but also our constitution). for example, we spend 16 billion on subsideries for coal mining and another 25 billion on tax-cuts and payments to churches (!). if we would cut this we could safe lots of money and wouldnt have any problem whatsoever with the 3%.

dont try to insult me im not even sure how well bushs tax-plans work. to give the rich more money doesnt make much sence to me. it neither increases demand nor investments, but nevertheless it seems to work right now. more than 2% growth per quarter isnt all that bad, we have less than that for the whole year.
First of all, I was criticizing the fact that you think the budget deficiency is good for the economy, it isn't. Every major financial institution has criticized this monetary policy, not because they are breaking an agreement but because it is bad for the economy, but you stupidly say that it is good for the economy but the only reason its bad is because its breaking a formerly made agreement.

The CEB, the OESO, 'people that know economics' al criticize this budget deficiency from an economical point of view. Thats why I said you were turning american, because you are defending your country no matter how stupid they are acting right now. You simply can't bring yourself to say 'god they are ****ing up so badly' (in the context of using a wrong budgetary policy). You have to say 'oh they are naughty because they break a treaty, but otherwise they are completely correct'.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:39   #15
wu_trax

the way we break the rules right now is bad (and i did say that), but that doesnt mean that having a lareger deficit than 3% is always a bad thing. if it is used to kick start the economy you can get more money back the following years than what you spend in the year you made the debts, pay back the debt and live happy ever after.

edit: thats what bush did with his tax-cuts. im not sure if it works on the long run, because he uses a wrong approach in my opinion. but that doesnt mean it doesnt work at all.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:41   #16
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
the way we break the rules right now is bad (and i did say that), but that doesnt mean that having a lareger deficit than 3% is always a bad thing. if it is used to kick start the economy you can get more money back the following years than what you spend in the year you made the debts, pay back the debt and live happy ever after.
The thing is, nobody except for germany and france think its economically justified. Have you even been reading my posts?
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:43   #17
wu_trax

see edited post above.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:46   #18
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Oh yeah, it's going real good in the US.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:54   #19
wu_trax

yes, obviously it is
whats the problem with a budget deficit if
a) it amkes the economy grow faster than the debt.
b) you get the money practically for free because of the low interest rates
and
c) it doesnt cause inflation?
of course the policy within the eu needs to be synchnized in some way, or the whole euro might fail, but im not sure if these static limits (which were our idea, btw.) were such a good idea after all.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 15:52   #20
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/1/29/20332758.pdf
Quote:
While encouraging, this scenario is not devoid of vulnerabilities. In Europe, balance-sheet
problems are still prevalent in the business sector and will continue to inhibit investment. In a variety of
countries -- including the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia -- households remain highly
indebted and may suffer large income and wealth losses, especially in the housing sector, should interest
rates increase abruptly. Such a back-up in interest rates cannot be ruled out, in a context where all large
OECD countries are now suffering from historically wide public deficits, which will not disappear easily
given their predominantly structural nature.
The persistence of very large current account imbalances at this early stage of the recovery may
also complicate the outlook. The combination of large public and external deficits in the United States
could be a source of exchange rate instability, given the potentially short-run nature of much of the
international capital currently flowing in. Under such delicate circumstances, a sudden weakening of the
dollar could stifle a fledgling European recovery. This would exacerbate the unevenness of the global
upturn while not doing much to help reduce current account imbalances or tensions in the trade policy
arena.

These various imbalances and sources of vulnerability are largely inherited from past policy
mistakes. This is especially true of fiscal policies which often failed to take advantage of “good times” to
replenish public coffers and have led to exceedingly large deficits after several years of economic
slowdown. With ageing-related financial pressures looming larger than ever, taking advantage of the
economic upswing to restore the sustainability of public finances will be crucial. The challenge will be, for
many countries, to fight fiscal complacency during a period of sustained growth, in marked departure from
the repeated failures of the past two decades. To succeed in this difficult endeavour, it will be necessary to
re-establish or revitalise long-term oriented fiscal frameworks and to improve fiscal institutions so as to
prevent the reappearance of procyclical fiscal policies and to enhance the cost-effectiveness of public
expenditures in a context where competing claims are on the rise. Given the magnitude of the challenge, a
special dossier is devoted to these medium-term fiscal issues in forthcoming full edition of this Economic
Outlook.
If you are simple enough to believe that the world economy is restarted by cutting taxes and increasing national debt then more power to you.

This is from your own link:

"Large deficits in the US government budget and in its trade with the rest of the world are a possible source of instability in the currency markets. "

The european bank presidents have unanimously declared that this latest developpement is absolutely crap. Freely translated from http://www.nrc.nl/economie/artikel/1069827359003.html

Last of all, economic growth does not cancel out a greater national debt, they are two seperate things. Money is never free, just because the interest rates are lower now doesn't mean that its a good thing to owe people even more money. And it causes inflation indirectly, thats why the whole 3% rule was invented in the first place so that the strenght of the euro was guarantueed. Like I said, they don't pick these numbers at random. Its thought out and logical.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 15:55   #21
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

btw I find it amusing that you can post a link that says 'economics are going better' and then say its because of your point.

Anyway, two more posts and you'll be Cuddly_Battleship, any post after that will put you on the same level as Texan. Go you.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 16:00   #22
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

And another thing, it just hit me that you weren't against the war in iraq because it was immoral and all those other reasons. You're just another patriotic fag that parrots its goverment to feel good about oneself.

Only in this case, you realize that moral high ground is on the other end so you don't even have the guts to fag up to your identity and try to play it both ways by saying that germany is naughty by breaking a deal.

Good lord, THE MONKEY IS OUT OF THE SLEEVE NOW.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 16:07   #23
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's going real good in the US.
It isn't all bad
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 16:35   #24
wu_trax

Quote:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/1/29/20332758.pdf

If you are simple enough to believe that the world economy is restarted by cutting taxes and increasing national debt then more power to you.

This is from your own link:

"Large deficits in the US government budget and in its trade with the rest of the world are a possible source of instability in the currency markets. "

The european bank presidents have unanimously declared that this latest developpement is absolutely crap. Freely translated from http://www.nrc.nl/economie/artikel/1069827359003.html

Last of all, economic growth does not cancel out a greater national debt, they are two seperate things. Money is never free, just because the interest rates are lower now doesn't mean that its a good thing to owe people even more money. And it causes inflation indirectly, thats why the whole 3% rule was invented in the first place so that the strenght of the euro was guarantueed. Like I said, they don't pick these numbers at random. Its thought out and logical.
are you insane? goverments have used exactly the policy i discriped for most of hte last 50 years. ofc, there are risks. where do you think impulses for economical growth can come form? out of the thin air? if this policy works you get more economical growth in the years later which then creates more tax-income for the state. people need money to buy things.
the stability of a currency is a good thing in general, but what use is stability, if what you get for it is deflation and recession? in times of economical instability its a VERY BAD idea to make the state safe money no matter what. every not completly insane economist will tell you that, it makes things only worse.
ofc it causes inflation indirectly, its the whole idea of the damn thing to cause inflation. would you rather have a deflation in your country and blow up your economy completly?
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 16:41   #25
wu_trax

Quote:
btw I find it amusing that you can post a link that says 'economics are going better' and then say its because of your point.
then please explain why people in the us suddenly started to consume more goods, make the economy grow again and once again overtook the EU, if we have this brillant stability and growth pact and they dont give a damn about their budget? how did that happen?
the only current problem i see for the US right now is the trade balance which makes the dollar lose value and because of that might make foreigners stop to borrow money to the us which it now depends on.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 17:07   #26
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
First of all, I was criticizing the fact that you think the budget deficiency is good for the economy, it isn't. Every major financial institution has criticized this monetary policy
What you are talking about is FISCAL policy not monetary policy. Monetary policy is done by the ECB.

Quote:
The CEB, the OESO, 'people that know economics' al criticize this budget deficiency from an economical point of view.
Actually economists still don't know very much about the long term effects of deficit spending. In some cases it worked pretty well (Reagonomics) in others even severed a country's recession (Japan in the 90s). Of course there are lots of other issues to be considered in those two examples but the point is economists still can't single out reasons why certain policies are working in certain cases.

Quote:
Thats why I said you were turning american, because you are defending your country no matter how stupid they are acting right now.

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote