User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 13 Jul 2017, 13:35   #1
Lukey

Lukey is on a distinguished road
Quest Refresh

The current quest system feels a little stale, I think it's good to have the beginner / setup quests to help aid those who are new to the game.

However, currently Planet Development / Advanced / Expert quest chains are pretty pointless and merely act as the occasional interesting achievement notification. I'd be interested to see these swapped out with more tangible rewards to have targets that actually mean something.

Maybe for example it's the last week and I have 15k xp and if I can reach 20k xp, I get a reward that affects decision making to focus on attaining the goal. To avoid issues with calcing, probably xp makes the most sense as a reward, but I'd definitely be open to any other creative ideas around balanced rewards that could be provided.
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2017, 09:12   #2
Damakles

Damakles is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Quest Refresh

Needs a complete re-work.

People forget about 'quests' once they have used it to get the free roids and res before tick starts. Its only small use it to advance the wave research a tiny tiny bit.

Needs to be completely re-done so that people can still aim for quests into the mid to late round - PT800+

Ex-Ministry, Ascendancy, CT
Damakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2017, 17:34   #3
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light

I believe you got your wish
Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2017, 19:00   #4
LadyoftheLake

LadyoftheLake is a jewel in the roughLadyoftheLake is a jewel in the roughLadyoftheLake is a jewel in the rough

Thank you!
LadyoftheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:51   #5
k3nn

k3nn is an unknown quantity at this point

Really impressed with the updated quest system. Previously you'd pretty much line up the early ones as part of your initial tickplan and then ignore them for the rest of the round. Now that quests give you mini goals to aim for throughout (more or less) the entire round, it'll really help drive engagement and give people something to aim for. I understand that the most committed players might not care too much as the rewards may not necessarily contribute to the optimum min/max playstyle, but I think that for the majority of players it'll make PA more enjoyable as we work towards the objectives.

Thanks and congrats to the devs for a successful quest system upgrade!
Unread 31 Jul 2017, 09:12   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Agreed, with one small sidenote: the quests now give so much resources that you actually need HCT300 to mine them all, even if you don't take the startup resources. I suggest lowering them a tiny bit so that HCT200 is enough.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2017, 03:31   #7
Lukey

Thanks for implementing the new quest system, it looks to be a big improvement and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the round. I'd expect some will need to be tweaked based on feedback at the end of the round, but it looks like a great baseline to work from and it's really positive to see changes to the game.
Unread 5 Aug 2017, 19:59   #8
Sandvold

Sandvold will become famous soon enoughSandvold will become famous soon enough

Great addition.

If possible maybe switch it a bit around reward wise so we can't do it on auto-pilot for future rounds.

But was fun actually having to plan something new again!
Sandvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2017, 20:20   #9
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

8 resets I did :/
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2017, 04:53   #10
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post
8 resets I did :/
Masterplan!

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2017, 08:01   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like the new quests, but they keep giving me roids I can't mine. That's fine when you're talking abou a few roids here and there, but I just got 75 of the ****ing things and it's painting a bullseye on me that I could do without.

Maybe a claim button next to each quest would be nice?

[edit] Nevermind, that button already exists: it's the 'start' button.

Oops!

[edit2] Then again, that only applies to quest lines, not to individual quests.

Tune in again next time for A Look Into mz' Mind!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 17 Aug 2017 at 08:22.
Unread 17 Aug 2017, 13:44   #12
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

my heart bleeds!! research hct or let us land on you!
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2017, 13:46   #13
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

all that would do is make certain types of players withhold the xp bonus's till the end and pop them ftw
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2017, 22:54   #14
Satyr

Satyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Tune in again next time for A Look Into mz' Mind!
U should come and visit mine once in a while, i kept my population at 99% till the time was right to get 75 extra roids
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2017, 13:45   #15
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DDK]gm
all that would do is make certain types of players withhold the xp bonus's till the end and pop them ftw
Why is keeping the bonuses until the end a bad thing? Why should everyone be forced start the quests RIGHT NOW because that's what you're doing?
eksero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2017, 14:18   #16
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Does completing the 75 roid quest whilst you have incoming count as farming?
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2017, 11:17   #17
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Does completing the 75 roid quest whilst you have incoming count as farming?
this is a good point to raise
Unread 19 Aug 2017, 16:29   #18
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
this is a good point to raise
It isn't.

Accidents happen and you might have:
a) not started the expert quest and didnt know that quest existed
b) assigned the population without really checking.

If they're so bad at Planetarion that they need the additional 18 rocks, I feel really sorry for them.
Unread 19 Aug 2017, 19:38   #19
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post
It isn't.

Accidents happen and you might have:
a) not started the expert quest and didnt know that quest existed
b) assigned the population without really checking.

If they're so bad at Planetarion that they need the additional 18 rocks, I feel really sorry for them.
By that theory then I can also imitate 75 roids whilst under incomming. As 18 doesn't mean anything yeah?

Now I haven't checked all the rewards in depth but if you complete all the roid ones you get around 400 asteroids total. So if you get incs and you accept all your quests and increase your size by 400 whilst a 'friend' looking for xp lands happens to be attacking you, is that cheating??
Unread 19 Aug 2017, 21:22   #20
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
By that theory then I can also imitate 75 roids whilst under incomming. As 18 doesn't mean anything yeah?

Now I haven't checked all the rewards in depth but if you complete all the roid ones you get around 400 asteroids total. So if you get incs and you accept all your quests and increase your size by 400 whilst a 'friend' looking for xp lands happens to be attacking you, is that cheating??
Total reward if im not mistaken is: 468 roids, 17.600 CU, 9950 RP, 5.730.000 x 3 resources, 10265 xp. Just to clarify
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2017, 23:44   #21
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDD View Post
Total reward if im not mistaken is: 468 roids, 17.600 CU, 9950 RP, 5.730.000 x 3 resources, 10265 xp. Just to clarify
If you got it all and popped it all together what is it worth in score?
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 01:39   #22
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Are we seriously debating this?

Seriously?
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 05:27   #23
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

kaiba makes a good point
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 06:39   #24
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If you got it all and popped it all together what is it worth in score?
890k ish
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 06:55   #25
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
Are we seriously debating this?

Seriously?
Why wouldn't we?

Everyone is very adamant the game has to be cheat proof. Anything that is even dreamed of as giving an unfair advantage MUST be stamped out.

We have managed to nerf xp, wreck salvage, kill exiling, stop private galaxies, ruin the gal fund just to name a few.

These quests are dangerous and must be purged!!!

In seriousness though, if you popped your paid bonus under incoming and chose roids you would be closed. Popping the quest bonus is no different so it shouldn't be exempt from rules of farming
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 17:15   #26
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Why wouldn't we?

Everyone is very adamant the game has to be cheat proof. Anything that is even dreamed of as giving an unfair advantage MUST be stamped out.

We have managed to nerf xp, wreck salvage, kill exiling, stop private galaxies, ruin the gal fund just to name a few.

These quests are dangerous and must be purged!!!

In seriousness though, if you popped your paid bonus under incoming and chose roids you would be closed. Popping the quest bonus is no different so it shouldn't be exempt from rules of farming
I realise you're pissed because your stats weren't picked but you're being ridiculous.

No one was closed for posting their 5th post on the forums and getting 15 extra rocks before someone landed.

The community has gone mad... "he is out performing me, he must be a cheat"
Unread 20 Aug 2017, 18:08   #27
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post
I realise you're pissed because your stats weren't picked but you're being ridiculous.

No one was closed for posting their 5th post on the forums and getting 15 extra rocks before someone landed.

The community has gone mad... "he is out performing me, he must be a cheat"
You are missing the point, you have now created a reward structure which is massively abusable. Alliance rule 1 should now be to not pop quests until told. It's the new way to hide real score. 40 people sitting on 500k score gain? That will do nicely in the last week. Or wanna help your allied buddies win PA? Launch on us and we will pop quests. 500k score raise per planet. Enjoy the xp and extra roids guys, it's completely legal!!!!

The community frowned on hiding score in galaxy funds, it was nerfed, now we can't.

The community was angry at the way Benneh and Joesph farmed XP to win PA, it was nerfed, now it's hard to do.

People are annoyed that CBA allowed this bloke to land on him and beat sh7 to win last round. It's not allowed at all.

But supposedly because it's 'quests' it's now OK to gain significant roids without landing whilst you have incoming. You can raise your planets score drastically with a few button clicks, whilst you have incommings, increasing XP for attackers. You can stay artificially low in score now and grow massively as a group or solo with a few button clicks.

You can control all this because YOU have to initilase quests, YOU have the power to choose when you collect them. YOU can pick wether you wait or not. It's wrong and needs fixing now. Take away the starting buttons and let the quests auto start when you sign up. Then 99.9% of people can't abuse it anymore.

(my stats took me about 40 mins to make so im really not fussed, if I was desperate I would have added the pod)
Unread 21 Aug 2017, 05:12   #28
Alezzar
Bibliophile

Alezzar is infamous around these parts

I'd rather have the start buttons removed too. Maybe some quest open upon completing the previous one(those that are connected), but having the start button makes no sense.

And quest have to be different, just slightly, each round. That will be interesting and prevent just following a quest strat for every round.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Alezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2017, 07:07   #29
Veil05
NE

Quote:
But supposedly because it's 'quests' it's now OK to gain significant roids without landing whilst you have incoming. You can raise your planets score drastically with a few button clicks, whilst you have incommings, increasing XP for attackers. You can stay artificially low in score now and grow massively as a group or solo with a few button clicks.
Are you playing this round? If you leave all the quests till the last week; you have missed the free rocks, RP, and CU. for me that is worth more than 500k score being added in the final week over sporadically throughout the round.
Unread 21 Aug 2017, 07:43   #30
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Indeed. More value earlier is better than more value later.

That said, it must be admitted that 616k of that 890k score is in XP. It must also be said that in order to get it, everyone needs to do 1k scans, 100 cov ops and needs to roid a 1k roid planet solo.

So, given those constraints, before we all go nuts, let's just wait and see what happens, shall we?
Unread 21 Aug 2017, 19:34   #31
Alezzar
Bibliophile

One other thing: Hidden Quests, different for each round. Like 5 of them which will be unveiled with the round under way.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Unread 23 Aug 2017, 17:31   #32
M3dicMan

M3dicMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alezzar View Post
One other thing: Hidden Quests, different for each round. Like 5 of them which will be unveiled with the round under way.
Now this I would like to see...

Round ???- PhX Alliance
Round 72-80 VGN
Round 81 CaRnage
Round 82-86 CT
Round 87-90 Wave Zero
Round 91-99 VGN
M3dicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2017, 09:14   #33
Alezzar
Bibliophile

A couple of ideas for quests for future rounds:

In an exile!

Mission:
Successfully complete 5 self-exiles.

Rewards: Gain 1,000,000 of each resource

Hold the reins!

Mission:
Keep the same government for 850 ticks.

Reward: 35 of each asteroid type

The Phantom Menace

Mission:
Successfully block 100 incoming scans.

Reward: 2500 Construction unit bonus.

Into the Shadows

Mission:
Complete 25 construction(s) of type Wave Distorter.

Reward: 1500 Research point bonus.

The Aggressor

Mission:
Launch 100 attacks.

Reward: 15 of each asteroid type.

The Ultimate Aggressor

Mission:
Launch 200 attacks.

Reward: 35 of each asteroid type.

The Guardian

Mission:
Launch 100 defenses.

Reward: 1,500,000 of each resource.

The Protector of the Universe

Mission:
Launch 200 defenses.

Reward: 3,000,000 of each resource.

A Pirate's Life for Me

Mission:
Steal ships from another race.

Reward: Gain 2000 XP

The Loser

Mission:
Lose a total of 1000 asteroids during the round.

Reward: 50 of each asteroid type.

The Invader

Mission:
Capture a total of 1500 asteroids during the round.

Reward: 2,000,000 of each resource type.

Complete 200 successful ops!

Mission:
Perform 200 successful covert operations on other planets.

Reward: 3500 Construction Unit Bonus.

Complete 2000 scans!

Mission:
Perform 2000 scans.

Reward: 3500 Research Point Bonus.

The Salvage King

Mission:
Obtain a total of 10,000,000 salvage.

Reward: 3,000,000 of each resource.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Unread 24 Aug 2017, 14:21   #34
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Perform 200 ingal def fleets = Star Lord (Guardian of the Galaxy)
Unread 25 Aug 2017, 13:33   #35
Satyr

Satyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura about

Some good ideas for new quests, lots of bad/easy to abuse quest ideas tbh..
*self exile: discourage bps? What quest tree are u not gonna finish because of that self exile quest?
*block 100 incoming scans, what galmate/allymate am i gonna pay to do that?
*launch "x" attacks/defs:launch/recall, launch/recall, 3 fleets, every two ticks
*steal ships: what about races that cant? are they gonna miss out on a lot of xp for not finishing a certain quest tree?
*covop quests: should be removed entirely, not a fan at all of those, eventhough i finished the 100 covops as 2nd planet in the uni, i really hated it

Finally, to add one of my own ideas, i think it would be nice if we'd be able to choose certain quest routes.. for example, you can either start beginner quest A or B, once chosen, the other one is no longer available, different quests/goals with different rewards, depending on which one u chose.
I'd have kind of the same idea for certain research trees tbh..
More population for slower traveltime FOR EXAMPLE
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2017, 19:50   #36
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Exclusive quests or research paths/trees (ie, you pick one, the other is excluded) are not as great an idea as they may initially seem. Someone mathematically inclined will calculate which the best path is, and then everyone will just do that.

If you really do want to implement something like that, the options must be such that they are fundamentally different from each other. For instance, for standard value planets the choice between '+X% mining bonus' or '+Y% construction units per tick' is not fundamental. The latter will simply be converted to refs/FCs, and then the net buffs to income can be compared directly, and the one that is objectively best will be chosen by everyone.

Here's some examples of choices that might work better: 'your amps and dists cannot be SKed', 'your alliance defense fleets can be recalled by DCs' or 'roids past your mining limit contribute 50% of their normal income'. Different planets (scanner, defwhore, top planet, respectively?) would pick different options. I'm not advocating whether any of these options should be implemented or not, just saying that they are not comparable in any way shape or form.

For research, specifically, exclusivity can be achieved in a slightly more organic way: just make them so long that there's no way to finish all of them before round end. Right now, if you never get more than 2000 roids, you can finish all required research before round end. If you need to mine more than 2000 roids, you only have to ignore cov ops to achieve the same.

I'm not suggesting that the current research should be made slower to force people to choose. Most of it is mandatory for most planets: HCT, infrastructure, travel time, population. Without, say, Hypergate, your planet is not just a few percentage points less useful; it might as well not exist. If there were more research that improved your planet or quality of life just a little bit in a way that fit your style of play, and less that were mandatory for everyone with a planet, it wouldn't matter so much if there were some research that stayed out of reach for you.
Unread 29 Aug 2017, 10:15   #37
Alezzar
Bibliophile

The vital question here is - are we aiming for all the quests to completable by every player?

Yes, Mz is right about the potential "one-way-to-go" tactic, but that would only work if we keep quests the same every round, which I think, would be a mistake. Little changes would result in much more interesting rounds as most people would not have enough time to predict all the outcomes and force an entire alliance to follow that path.

Agreed about the research process though, that would provide very interesting strategies instead of the currently well-known ones. I was thinking about the same myself. At this point of the round (t600) the only thing you have to research is, well, HCT, which most don't even need, there just aren't any other options, especially after the RP bonus we get from quests. More research options will result in many different approaches to building your planet.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Unread 7 Sep 2017, 02:08   #38
Lukey

While I think having covops in a quest was an interesting exercise, can we lower it from 100 to 50 in the final chain? 100 covops has proven to be slightly tedious
Unread 7 Sep 2017, 11:37   #39
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
While I think having covops in a quest was an interesting exercise, can we lower it from 100 to 50 in the final chain? 100 covops has proven to be slightly tedious
Tried 1, failed 1. Attempted 0 more

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2017, 11:38   #40
Alezzar
Bibliophile

I don't see a problem with, but as I already stated I fancy seeing more specialized/exclusive quests.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Unread 17 Sep 2017, 19:39   #41
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Exclusive quests or research paths/trees (ie, you pick one, the other is excluded) are not as great an idea as they may initially seem. Someone mathematically inclined will calculate which the best path is, and then everyone will just do that.
Agreed

Quote:
Here's some examples of choices that might work better: 'your amps and dists cannot be SKed', 'your alliance defense fleets can be recalled by DCs' or 'roids past your mining limit contribute 50% of their normal income'. Different planets (scanner, defwhore, top planet, respectively?) would pick different options. I'm not advocating whether any of these options should be implemented or not, just saying that they are not comparable in any way shape or form.
Not as quests but in general these are some really nice ideas it'd be good to consider for specific planet bonuses or abilities sort of like goverments

Quote:
For research, specifically, exclusivity can be achieved in a slightly more organic way: just make them so long that there's no way to finish all of them before round end. Right now, if you never get more than 2000 roids, you can finish all required research before round end. If you need to mine more than 2000 roids, you only have to ignore cov ops to achieve the same.

I'm not suggesting that the current research should be made slower to force people to choose. Most of it is mandatory for most planets: HCT, infrastructure, travel time, population. Without, say, Hypergate, your planet is not just a few percentage points less useful; it might as well not exist. If there were more research that improved your planet or quality of life just a little bit in a way that fit your style of play, and less that were mandatory for everyone with a planet, it wouldn't matter so much if there were some research that stayed out of reach for you.
There are potential additional efficiency-style things rather than the population-style changes (more salvage or similar). Would be happy to push it a bit more with more trees.