User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 Dec 2009, 17:54   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Stop making me meet new people

I've played PA for a long time. Even when I haven't actually been playing Planetarion, I've stuck around on IRC and talked to people about Planetarion. I like doing these things, but at some point I hit a cognitive limit for the number of people I need to keep filed away under 'Planetarion' in my brain.

I don't want to be forced to meet new people through game mechanics. I have no problem meeting new and interesting people via IRC. In fact, I'm pretty much forced to meet new people every round, since Ascendancy hasn't succeeded at stagnating and dying yet.

I've basically settled for 30 or so people I regularly talk to about Planetarion. This group is mostly stable, but every now and then people disappear from IRC and new, interesting people show up. But that's about my limit. I can't really spend more time grooming relationships to people on IRC.

If you ever want me to play again, I have to be able to go into the game without absolutely having to interact with random people for game mechanic reasons. I'll accept interactions due to the metagame, because these require less investment than being in gal with someone.

Some people seem to be under the impression that Ascendancy plays with core galaxies because it's a winning strategy. I'd gladly do it even if it put me at a disadvantage. If all my PA playing IRC-friends disappeared tomorrow I'd reconsider, but until then, please let me choose to play with my friends
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2009, 18:18   #2
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice
Re: Stop making me meet new people

We've had BPs for a long time now. Bring back private galaxies!

Perhaps limit amount of people in a private galaxy to X, while BP-based galaxies gets X+Y, where X and Y are sane numbers.

Also see Rob's earlier suggestion, which could be an alternative aswell (ta JBG.)

Quote:
Bring back private galaxies...
... and ban anyone in a private galaxy from joining an alliance tag.

Last edited by eltsin; 15 Dec 2009 at 18:25.
eltsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2009, 18:33   #3
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

If you did ban people in private gals from joining a tag, would you hardcode no out of gal def? or no out of cluster def? Multihunters really aren't willing/capable of policing the rules, so something would have to be hardcoded if you truly wanted a rule that private galaxy members couldn't help alliances.

I do like the idea of private galaxies though.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2009, 18:39   #4
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice

IMO I would not ban out of gal def (whether cluster or not). Ban tag joining only.

I do however see that private galaxies could benefit vastly from out of gal tag from active alliances. Same with cluster "luck"... Not sure if it should be banned or legal - but if banned, definately hard coded.
Unread 15 Dec 2009, 18:52   #5
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

So alliances can have large support planets in a fortress galaxy, they just don't contribute to score? I don't object, as long as the rule is that support planets are allowed. Expecting multihunters to police support planets is ridiculous as it is, and I don't care to give another advantage to those who ignore the rules.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2009, 06:22   #6
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Private galaxies, exile on the last day and join tag = win?
Support planets are bad. Enforce the policy or - even better - hardcode it out of the game.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2009, 06:35   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
Private galaxies, exile on the last day and join tag = win?
Easily prevented by:
1) Disabling exiling, or
2) Using a similar system as is in use with tags and galaxies: score gained in tag T/galaxy G does not count toward the score of tag S/Galaxy H, or
3) Making "private galaxy" a permanent flag for planets, that doesn't expire even after they exile out.

Is this is the best objection you can think of?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2009, 13:03   #8
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

I'd love to play under Rob's suggestion, but I fear that in the long term it would segregate the game into 'old people' and 'new people'. There are basically two social institutions for meeting people in PA, galaxies and alliances. New people flow through alliances organically, which I like. I have to deal with a lot of new people through my alliance (because we recruit quite a lot). These are generally (not always!) the people I'd like to play with the most (ie in the galaxy).

Hey, give us a cluster of our own and I'd be happy!
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2009, 18:28   #9
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I whole-heartedly agree.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 04:39   #10
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
2) Using a similar system as is in use with tags and galaxies: score gained in tag T/galaxy G does not count toward the score of tag S/Galaxy H
If Rob's suggestion was ever used, this is the best option I think, thought not sure you've explained it particularly well! I'm drunk though so **** trying to explain it better!
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 11:03   #11
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
Support planets are bad. Enforce the policy or - even better - hardcode it out of the game.
For the love of god, stop whining about support planets. They´re hardly used (at least noone could show me anything being even remotely close to evidence of support planet usage) nowadays. The last big discussion we had was the attempt to apply the support planet rule on out of tag cooperation of two alliances.
Read Barackes post (cba searching for it right now) for some clue why all this "hardcore limit the options of interaction between planets" is pretty idiotic. You should not limit the ways people can actually play this game. Get a clue - if you code out options for people to play on a casual level and still play a bit with their friends, they won´t signup an account at all.
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote