User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Nov 2011, 22:42   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
So, this "We are Anonymous" -thing

Someone give me a brief overview.

It appears people have credited this apparent "organization" for series of hacking incidents in Finland too (some of which may seem purposeful: ie. hacking a neo-nazi organization's membership applicants and obviously revealing political connections; some of which may seem less purposeful, such as hacking largely irrelevant PhBB2 forums). What's the deal?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2011, 22:44   #2
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: So, this "We are Anonymous" -thing

I can't help but think of the old Legion though with the "We are Legion" -rants. But I guess Roman antics are quite web-sexy.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2011, 23:14   #3
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I believe that the group started off from the 4chan forums

I know that they have done distributed denial of service (DDoS) on the likes of paypal as a result of them no longer processing donation to wikileaks. also various other activites aswell

I suspect that their intentions are good (to the average person outside of government and big business)
I still haven't formed an opinion to whether their actions will hinder the powers to be / governments / big business or be a catalyst to clamping down on internet freedoms i.e. give an excuse to an internet kill switch or a china styled internet.
Unread 15 Nov 2011, 09:27   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Anonymous started in 4chan's /b/ board. The 'b' stands for 'random'. At various points in its history /b/ allowed only anonymous posting, hence the name. /b/ has always been full of trolls, and they spend their time making swastikas in Habbo Hotel, making cam whores cry by asking them about their parents and posting flashing animated GIFs on epilepsy support forums.

The activist side of Anonymous was always lurking below the surface, not all their acts were simply malicious trolling. They racked up thousands of dollars worth of bills for neo-nazi webcaster Hal Turner, tracked down and turned in some kids who tortured a cat and put the video on YouTube, several pedophiles and a guy who threatened to blow up a stadium.

They also create a mountain of memes. Most if not all of the ones you've likely heard of originated there, in fact. Examples include caturday, motivational posters, shitting bricks and FGSFDS.

The first real campaign was a few years ago, when some people decided the Church of Scientology was an enemy. They organised in Project Chanology, which launched DDOS attacks on CoS websites and protested in a bunch of cities around the world. They didn't achieve much, but the media exposure did make the practices of CoS more widely known. This is also when the Guy Fawkes masks started appearing in the mainstream.

They apparently liked the feeling and have since campaigned against various other organisations: Visa and Mastercard for blocking donations to WikiLeaks, Sony for its actions against GeoHot, various governments in the Middle East during the Arab Spring and the Australian government for proposing internet filtering legislation. There have also been various statements of support for the Occupy movement.

The trolling also still happens, though. Anonymous is not a unified organization, far from it, and there is frequent infighting, though it's usually limited to a disagreement over what to do (if anything at all), not over which side of an issue to support. Anyone can claim to be a part of Anonymous, since there is no formal leadership, nor a well defined member base.

We can look at previous actions of the activist part of Anonymous and come to the conclusion that for the most part they've been in favour of a free and open Internet, as well as freedom of information in general, and against corporatism and repression. Personally, I agree with most of their opinions, but dislike most of their tactics, because I don't believe in "the end justifies the means". I also have some trouble aligning myself with a group that is equal parts "induldge every whim" and "make the world a better place".

For more information, this is probably a good place to start. Encyclopedia Dramatica (NSFW) as a whole can give you more in-depth information, as well as an impression of what the community is like. Beware, though: ED is as much a swamp of bullshit as it is a goldmine. Don't let the prospect of filthy pants dissuade you.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 15 Nov 2011 at 09:34.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote