User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 22 Sep 2014, 20:21   #1
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Best players in the history of PA?

This evening, I found myself looking through the PA history page (I've since forgotten why exactly I was doing this), and wondering: what players have performed best?

So being the nerd that I am, I went to work, and ended up with a 6.9 MB text file, containing all the planet rankings I could find: top 50 for r1, top 100 for r2-13, and the full rankings of all rounds since 14, with the exception of 17 and 26, because those are incorrect on the history page. For those I should use the top 100 from PAwiki (but haven't yet).

I refuse to believe I'm the only one who gets a stiffy from cold hard data, so here's some interesting lists:

Quadruple round winners since r1:
elviz (14, 17, 25, 30)

Triple round winners since r1:
agar3s (41, 44, 54)

Double round winners since r1:
BENNEH (35, 48)
eksero (32, 40)
HaSu (39, 56)
Greenhills (19, 21)
Jintao (49, 57)
Ronin (46, 47)
Sliekas (6, 9) Pre-PAX
Wishmaster (34, 51)

People with 5 or more top 10 finishes since r1:
eksero (14)
Golan (11)
shaz (11)
BENNEH (8)
agar3s (7)
HaSu (7)
arc (6)
elviz (6)
Henrik (6)
Mikee (6)
Sleepless (6)
Caj (5)
Colt (5)
Cronix (5)
dedin (5)
guzlic (5)
Jintao (5)
Phantasm (5)

People with 20 or more top 100 finishes since r1:
BENNEH (28)
Sleepless (27)
Dealer (26)
eksero (26)
shaz (25)
Grog (23)
LukeyLove (23)
Reese (23)
agar3s (22)
Bazza (22)
IsilX (20)
rasputin (20)
Zwanstic (20)
(Missing the bottom 50 of the r1 top 100)

If we give 10 points to a #1 finish, 3 for a top10 finish and 1 for a top 100 finish, and calculate average score over all rounds played, this is what we get:
elviz has 4 #1s, 6 top 10s, 13 top 100s out of 25 rounds played: 2.12 points / round.
eksero has 2 #1s, 14 top 10s, 26 top 100s out of 33 rounds played: 2.06 points / round.
agar3s has 3 #1s, 8 top 10s, 22 top 100s out of 29 rounds played: 2.03 points / round.
HaSu has 2 #1s, 7 top 10s, 16 top 100s out of 23 rounds played: 1.91 points / round.
shaz has 1 #1s, 11 top 10s, 20 top 100s out of 33 rounds played: 1.82 points / round.
Golan has 0 #1s, 11 top 10s, 18 top 100s out of 24 rounds played: 1.67 points / round.
Benneh has 2 #1s, 8 top 10s, 28 top 100s out of 40 rounds played: 1.45 points / round.

Number of people who've played X or more rounds since r14 (missing 17 and 26):
10: 1145
15: 634
20: 391
25: 232
30: 146
35: 81
40: 39

People who've finished all 44 rounds since 14:
Amnion (18 top 100)
Auto
BaDD
Bazza (24 top 100)
Car
Catwoman
Devonian
eagleon
Fiery
Jaric
Kublai
Monroe
mystery
Walldo
(Manually checked round 17 and 26 for these players.)
(As far as I know, all of them are playing r58 as well.)
(galla foolishly missed round 17.)
(Unlike for the above data, I made no attempt to deal with people who've used multiple nicks through their career.)

No one who has won a pre-PAX round has ever won a post-PAX round. Kileman came closest, with a second place finish in round 21.

Pre-PAX, Valvalis holds the most top 10 finishes, at 3. 6 other people managed 2 top 10 finishes during that time.

elviz and Linkie(!) are the only post-PAX round winners who clocked a top 10 finish pre-PAX. Of the pre-PAX round winners, none clocked a top 10 finish post-PAX

There's much more information to mine in here, so if you're interested in some data, feel free to post.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 23 Sep 2014 at 16:09.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 21:07   #2
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of
Re: Best players in the history of PA?

Actually, r25 is elviz, not santacruz(according to the wiki anyway!) and hasu won r39, not 29
eksero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 21:29   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

everything after R9 doesn't count.

oh and hi. :]
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 21:34   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Surely I win for longest playing, least t100 finishes.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 21:49   #5
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksero View Post
Actually, r25 is elviz, not santacruz(according to the wiki anyway!) and hasu won r39, not 29
With regards to Elviz r25 this is also what I thought, and it does seem to be the case from the forum thread at the time http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196165

p.s. another interesting stat would be percent of times played in T100 (or t10 or whatever... what percent of rounds played is elviz 1st? ).

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:13   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Added some data from before r14!

Quote:
Bad data on the history page. What is this world coming to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Surely I win for longest playing, least t100 finishes.
0 is pretty few. Your best round is still better than Zhil's, though, so take comfort.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 22 Sep 2014 at 22:41.
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:16   #7
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Bad data on the history page. What is this world coming to.

0 is pretty few. :P
I got 1, but it's previous to the data you have available!

I win! (lose!)

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:20   #8
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Id be interested to see how many of those top ranked planets sent defence that round.

Is that data available mz?
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:39   #9
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

If we could have a ranking of total number of defenses sent divided by number of rounds played that may actually be a ranking I do well in!

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:43   #10
Zotnam
Over the moon
Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Sperm Wars Champion

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post
Id be interested to see how many of those top ranked planets sent defence that round.

Yes, that's on the history page, Could do an "average of def fleets sent by top3/10 players"

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2014, 22:46   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post

I've only mined the planet rankings. The data on fleets is on another page on the server. Having looked at that at some point, though, I recall that top 10 planets tend to do worse than average, but they do send some.

Added some more data from before r14. Rankings remain virtually identical, though.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 23 Sep 2014 at 00:19.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 07:11   #12
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I'll admit I skimmed the data but the 3 names that stick out are eksero, benneh and agar3s

Eksero is probably the most consistent player who has won more than 1 round from these stats whilst Benneh is close behind.

I added agar3s to this because he also led the most successful alliance in pa alongside his personal achievements
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 07:35   #13
booji
a bucket

It depends what you mean by consistent; benneh has also played a very large number of rounds. I suspect that elviz is more consistent as I don't think he has actually played very many rounds so having 4 wins is pretty astonishing (though having not been around for most of these round I may be wrong). This was why I was suggesting a percentage to show such consistency when actually playing.

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 07:55   #14
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I meant for the amount of rounds played.

Yes elviz has won more rounds but he also is in none of the other lists which shows me he isn't consistent. More of a boom or bust player. Eksero and benneh appear on both the t10 and t100 lists at or near the top showing they have been exceptional at pa for a sustained period.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 08:14   #15
booji
a bucket

He is consistent at getting a good rank when playing (or at def leaching depending how you see it!) - but I doubt he has even played enough rounds to have the chance to make it into Mz's 20 T100's.

He should be in the 5+ T10. Mz has him as winning four times and also says "elviz and Linkie(!) are the only post-PAX round winners who clocked a top 10 finish pre-PAX. " Which surely would make 5 T10s.
edit: in addition it looks like he was 9th in r23.

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 09:00   #16
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of

r19 ranks seems to be wrong as well mz, at least they are different from the ones on the wiki
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 09:07   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
It depends what you mean by consistent; benneh has also played a very large number of rounds. I suspect that elviz is more consistent as I don't think he has actually played very many rounds so having 4 wins is pretty astonishing.
Added a points-based ranking to the OP.

Benneh is by far the most inconsistent player of the lot. elviz, eksero, and agar3s lead the pack, within negligible distance of each other.

Unrelatedly: updated the round 19 top 100 ranks, Greenhills is now a double round winner. I added the r17 and r26 top 100s, which added 2 more top 10 finishes for elviz and added Caj to the top 10 list.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 23 Sep 2014 at 11:47.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 09:58   #18
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Tho playing less rounds gives you less burn out no?? Hence why I personally wouldn't put elviz as the best, 8 less rounds is over a year less playing....

Plus I thought there was evidence elviz cheated to victory a few times.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 10:01   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Tho playing less rounds gives you less burn out no?? Hence why I personally wouldn't put elviz as the best, 8 less rounds is over a year less playing....
Density of play is a more significant issue.

Quote:
elviz got closed twice: r18 (one round after he won) and r27 (2 rounds after and 3 rounds before he won). Do with that what you will.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 10:16   #20
booji
a bucket

Quote:
I kinda ignored the possible cheating issue, over the long term the reputation he gained has its downsides too; there must have been several instances of people who have landed attacks on him where the attacking calc was bad but there was the compensation of denying him any chance of another round win! (I have - there are bound to be others)

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 10:36   #21
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba

He did admit to cheating in r30 when he finished #1 in front of me, but not much that could be done when the round was over
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 15:01   #22
Zotnam
Over the moon

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

Quote:
He did admit to cheating in r30 when he finished #1 in front of me, but not much that could be done when the round was over
If you're talking about farming friends, then he has done that every round he has won

Planets.
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),

Those damn emp races..
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 15:16   #23
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Very nice OP

thank you mz

As previously stated, elviz has always been a huge def leech but if you look at all the multi round winners they all play with a similar style.

I'd definitely say Benneh puts the least effort in for his continuously top 50 finishes though ! Must be extra points for that

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 15:17   #24
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotnam
If you're talking about farming friends, then he has done that every round he has won
That wasn't it! But that's hardly surprising
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 16:02   #25
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotnam View Post
<JBG> elviz has capped more bs this round than the rest of the etds in the universe added together
<mz> he's just very good
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 16:43   #26
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Sorry don't get me wrong elviz has done great at the fame I just think that the fact he has played a lot less than others and is only a 'top5' in the round winners catergory whereas eksero and benneh are t5 in all 3 of them and agar3s in 2 makes them better, plus his rep for cheating tarnishes him.

How does the points ranking change of you give the t10 finishes a more realistic 5 points as 10 for 1st and 3 for 2nd and 1 for 100th is ridiculously disproportionate.

Please recalcitrant mz as the current system is heavily stacked towards Elvis because he has 4 wins
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 16:58   #27
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotnam View Post
I thought I was the only one. I feel a little used to be honest.

Hes the only one I've played with out of those contenders and found him to be an exceptional individual talent but rarely saw him send a defence fleet (compared to his peers).
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 17:10   #28
snoops^
p1mp

snoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura about

I've long considered elviz and eksero the two best players (in terms of rankings) in the game though i'd have to give the overall title to eksero.
I find it interesting that nobody that won Pre-PAX has won Post and that majority of multiple round wins have come post-pax, i guess thats more down to the rapid decline of player base than anything else

ReBorn-Fury-Wolfpack-1up-Newdawn-DLR-NFI-Apprime-

*CEO of the Forest fan club
snoops^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 17:29   #29
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
How does the points ranking change of you give the t10 finishes a more realistic 5 points as 10 for 1st and 3 for 2nd and 1 for 100th is ridiculously disproportionate.

Please recalcitrant mz as the current system is heavily stacked towards Elvis because he has 4 wins
That is intentional. There is only 1 #1 spot, so it should grant many more points than top 10 or top 100. I'm no fan of elviz, but I'm not going to change the way I assigned points just to take him down a notch.

In any case this is all way too serious for something we're making up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops^ View Post
I find it interesting that nobody that won Pre-PAX has won Post and that majority of multiple round wins have come post-pax, i guess thats more down to the rapid decline of player base than anything else
And remember, there were only 10 pre-PAX rounds, compared to 47 post-PAX ones. I'd argue that Sliekas' 2 PA wins put him near or at the top of the overall rankings. The man won 20% of all pre-PAX rounds, in a universe that was many times its current size.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 18:45   #30
snoops^
p1mp

snoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'd argue that Sliekas' 2 PA wins put him near or at the top of the overall rankings. The man won 20% of all pre-PAX rounds, in a universe that was many times its current size.
Agreed

Unread 23 Sep 2014, 20:59   #31
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What is this thread trying to measure with respect to 'best' exactly? I'd say what makes a player the 'best' isn't easy to measure.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 21:58   #32
Mzyxptlk
mz.

You are correct. This thread is purely a measurement of how well players performed, individually. If you want a planet win, recruit a few of these players into your alliance.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 23 Sep 2014 at 22:05.
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 21:59   #33
snoops^
p1mp

Thats why i put *in terms of rankings because there are many players out there that don't often get a decent ranks but put in a great deal of effort in regards to DC'n every night til late/early hours or those who get up every night and send defense without moaning that they've been woken up at 4am

Unread 23 Sep 2014, 22:22   #34
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thats why i put *in terms of rankings because there are many players out there that don't often get a decent ranks but put in a great deal of effort in regards to DC'n every night til late/early hours or those who get up every night and send defense without moaning that they've been woken up at 4am
And they have nothing to do with being best, since they clearly can't handle their own planet well. I'd rather call them tools, than even consider measuring their "skill" by DC'ing.
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 22:29   #35
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

That's probably one of the most short-sighted things I've ever read on here.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 22:38   #36
snoops^
p1mp

Theo, i would certainly consider those who sacrifice their time and put in a great deal of effort to ensure the success of others to be more than just tools, they are a vital part of any alliance and I personally feel some of these players are among the best in the game.

Unread 23 Sep 2014, 22:39   #37
TheoDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
That's probably one of the most short-sighted things I've ever read on here.
and to me it is the harsh truth. different ways to look at things
Unread 23 Sep 2014, 22:41   #38
TheoDD

Quote:
Theo, i would certainly consider those who sacrifice their time and put in a great deal of effort to ensure the success of others to be more than just tools, they are a vital part of any alliance and I personally feel some of these players are among the best in the game.
I'm not saying that people shouldn't appreciate those who put in effort for them, i'm just saying if you are a DC who put in all your effort for others, but can't find a way to play your own planet well at the same time... then, well you are a tool. one way or another.
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 00:09   #39
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You are correct. This thread is purely a measurement of how well players performed, individually. If you want a planet win, recruit a few of these players into your alliance.
Define performance. Also the game has changed, as when it was bigger it was more of a team game. For example, sliekas win in r6 was down to all of LDK sacrificing itself to defend his planet. Obviously, he was an extremely good player but he had a lot of extremely dedicated help. They deserve the credit as much as him. Truly impressive. I'd say you have to judge people's all round qualities in terms of ability to organise, personality, political nous for want of better terminology, as well as their ability to do well in game.

One observation I've made is Hasu and Wishmaster waiting 17 rounds for their second round win. That second win must have been pretty special for them.

Last edited by lokken; 24 Sep 2014 at 00:14.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 02:18   #40
Zotnam
Over the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken View Post
Define performance. Also the game has changed, as when it was bigger it was more of a team game. For example, sliekas win in r6 was down to all of LDK sacrificing itself to defend his planet. Obviously, he was an extremely good player but he had a lot of extremely dedicated help. They deserve the credit as much as him. Truly impressive. I'd say you have to judge people's all round qualities in terms of ability to organise, personality, political nous for want of better terminology, as well as their ability to do well in game.

One observation I've made is Hasu and Wishmaster waiting 17 rounds for their second round win. That second win must have been pretty special for them.
While I agree that this discussion warrants you to take more into account than pure planet rankings, you could also argue that many of the traits you mentioned are needed to get a top planet. This is very much still a team game, even if the respective teams have gradually gotten smaller.

Also, your proposed definition could be viewed more like the most complete player. But is that the right way? I'm pretty sure nobody would use the argument that "Messi can't any position in defense" as a reason why he isn't the best football player in the world. So maybe the best PA player can be shit at hc'ing or have a terrible personality too.

I've played with everyone on the lists, nearly been in gal with all of them too. I consider most of them useless

(Wishmaster was totally carried and not very active during his 2nd planet win, so not sure how special it was for him)

Planets.

Those damn emp races..
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 08:10   #41
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Define performance.
Getting round wins. That may sound like a circular definition, but it's one that makes sense: to find out who does best in the individual rankings, you look at the individual rankings. I mentioned the word 'performance' in the OP an my first reply to you in an attempt to duck the (totally legit!) discussion about the definition of 'best'.

In the real world, you want players with a variety of skill sets. Some people are good at organizing, some people are good DCs, some people are politically astute, some people are willing to go entire rounds just scanning, some people are good at figuring out novel ways of playing the game, and some people do well in the individual rankings. Not all of those are equally prominent, but saying they are mere 'tools' is a fundamental misunderstanding of what this game is.
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 19:53   #42
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Getting round wins. That may sound like a circular definition, but it's one that makes sense: to find out who does best in the individual rankings, you look at the individual rankings. I mentioned the word 'performance' in the OP an my first reply to you in an attempt to duck the (totally legit!) discussion about the definition of 'best'.

In the real world, you want players with a variety of skill sets. Some people are good at organizing, some people are good DCs, some people are politically astute, some people are willing to go entire rounds just scanning, some people are good at figuring out novel ways of playing the game, and some people do well in the individual rankings. Not all of those are equally prominent, but saying they are mere 'tools' is a fundamental misunderstanding of what this game is.
I can think of a player who:

- has won a round
- has had several top planets
- led at least one galaxy to victory
- led multiple alliance victories
- is capable of organising defence and attacks to an extremely good level
- is proven to be resilient in unfavourable situations
- understands politics
- understands the stats to an expert level

He's not on this list, better than everyone on it, and possibly isn't the best ever (he's also not on the list). There are probably a handful of players in this category but in my eyes, the true legends of the game. It takes a bunch of qualities to be really good at pa and individual score is a really crude way of measuring it.

From my point of view I'm stunned no one has stated the obvious.
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 20:19   #43
TheoDD

Quote:

- has won a round
- understands politics

He's not on this list, better than everyone on it, and possibly isn't the best ever (he's also not on the list). There are probably a handful of players in this category but in my eyes, the true legends of the game. It takes a bunch of qualities to be really good at pa and individual score is a really crude way of measuring it.

Might this person be JBG?
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 20:26   #44
ManiacMagic
!!!AMERICA!!!

ManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really nice

Quote:

- has won a round
- understands politics

Done quite a bit myself, got a gal win, almost another 2 or 3 gals wins (most with BPs of people who arent popular, IE clouds, heroes, CBA (makes it more fun)) ... several alliance wins ... but the damn planet win ... thats tough if you are in an HC spot and sacrifice planet ranks for ally win escorts :/ ... prior to starting my HC run I did finish 3rd once =0D

But these people are round after round fairly consistent and all good at getting results one way or another.
ManiacMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2014, 23:10   #45
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Wink Re: Best players in the history of PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDD View Post
Might this person be JBG?

Pfft... JBWho!??

carDi all the way!!!
Unread 25 Sep 2014, 18:50   #46
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

wooo i'm on the list of best players in pa history!

p3nguins ftw btw..

love caj x
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2014, 11:24   #47
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMagic View Post
Done quite a bit myself, got a gal win, almost another 2 or 3 gals wins (most with BPs of people who arent popular, IE clouds, heroes, CBA (makes it more fun)) ... several alliance wins ... but the damn planet win ... thats tough if you are in an HC spot and sacrifice planet ranks for ally win escorts :/ ... prior to starting my HC run I did finish 3rd once =0D

But these people are round after round fairly consistent and all good at getting results one way or another.
BP'n me is definitely a disadvantage

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2014, 13:07   #48
Zirikk
Bounce Back Champion, TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Penguin Bashing Champion, War on Terror Champion, Bugz Champion

Zirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure many would consider that Sid, Kaifux, Rob, JBG or some otrhers are better than anyone mentioned in the op.

Edit: Exactly what lokken posted

Last edited by Zirikk; 26 Sep 2014 at 13:17.
Zirikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2014, 13:56   #49
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirikk View Post
I'm sure many would consider that Sid, Kaifux, Rob, JBG or some otrhers are better than anyone mentioned in the op.

Edit: Exactly what lokken posted
This was one of the reasons why I didn't take this thread seriously
Unread 26 Sep 2014, 18:05   #50
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Hehe, yes my second win wasnt all that special. Others won that for me, and I won since most preferred me to win over cardi
But then again, knowing people that are willing to sacrifice themselves to make you win is a skill in this respect aswell I spose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote