User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 May 2005, 17:38   #1
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
In defence of the current round of Planetarion

To begin with... I am a longstanding Planetarion player, having begun playing over 4 years ago, about mid-way through round 3. I've played most of the rounds between now and then and have observed many of the changes that have occurred. I have participated in several of the beta tests and have been fortunate enough to know many of the people involved in the development of the game and, in particular, the ship stats.

It is my opinion that the current round's setup is one of the best the game has ever had. Given the recent criticisms of the round, I feel I have to fight the other corner and explain why I think this is such a good round.

The Galaxy System

This really is the best it has ever been, without a shadow of a doubt. The main reason is the size of the galaxies. This has long been looked at from a game mechanics perspective, with the assumption being that large galaxies are bad because they favour big alliances. The performance of many of the smaller alliances this round - Veneratio spring to mind, but there are others - has proved this to be false.

However, there is another far more important point to be made about galaxy size. It is that small galaxies often contain too few active players to function as any kind of social unit. In a 10 or even 15 planet galaxy, it is entire feasible that, for most of the day, only one galaxy member is active on IRC, More fortunate galaxies might have two or three, with only the most lucky reaching the heady heights of five or six members online at any one time. With galaxies or 20-25 planets, it becomes much more likely that two or more galaxy members will be active on IRC at the same time. This coincidence of activity is what allows social bonds to form; it is what gives rise to the community that causes players to come back to the game. Without it, people simply won't come back. The single biggest step forward that this round has made is creating galaxies large enough that a critical mass of IRC-active players can exist in a single galaxy. For the first time in a very very long time, I expect to remain in contact with my galaxy members after the round ends, and this increases the likelihood of all of us playing again.

The exile system works to assist this - by removing dead weight inactive planets, it makes it easier for the active players to find each other. Some see the exile and self-exile process as purely a means for players to get into higher-scoring galaxies, but it has a secondary effect of putting active players into contact with each other. This is crucially important to the success of the game.

Stealing

This was always going to be controversial, and for good reasons. In my opinion, stealing is a good idea. It's fun and it adds a new dimension to the game.

To be honest, I can't find much justification for it beyond "it's fun", but is any other justification needed in a game? Doubtless the counter-point from the anal stats crew will be that it's "unbalanced", and it almost certainly is. However, the solution to the balance problem must not be to remove stealing, or to return it to its previous useless state of profitless stealing or subversion. Stealing is a fundamentally fun feature and everything should be done to keep it in future rounds.

It also adds an alternative method of growth, beyond simply capping more and more roids. This helps to make the game a bit more interesting for those of us who might, after more rounds than we care to remember, be finding roid-stealing to be a little repetetive

Attack/defence balance

Again, I think this is pretty good this round. Ship armour is, relative to recent rounds, quite high, which favours attacking because it reduces the losses sustained on attack. This makes attacking viable for a longer period of time and reduces the likelihood of a situation occuring where a player is unable to find a viable target.

Combined with the fact that there are six pod classes, making it difficult for any player to have substantial defence against all types of pods, most planets are vulnerable to at least one type of attack. This, in my opinion, is exactly how it should be. Nobody should be invincible and every player should be forced to think carefully about the balance between their attack fleet and their defence fleet.

In general, the easier it is to attack, the longer the game remains fun. There might be some issues with the fact that some races are too vulnerable to some types of attack, but the general principle that attacking should be easy is a good one.

I can't think of any more to write atm - there are many other things about the current game which I think are worthy of praise, but most of these are not new features and I would be wasting everyone's time by listing them here. What I would like to know is what other people think, particularly what people's positive opinions are. Often the threads on the forums focus entirely on the negative views of the game and that bias can lead the PA team to get the impression that players are demanding large changes to the game when, in fact, the majority of players are quite happy with the game.

So, what do you like about the current round?
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 17:52   #2
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Re: In defence of the current round of Planetarion

nice post Rob, i also agree the galaxy sytem is the best ever. Attack defence balance is reasonable bar terran bs. Stealing i dont agree with as always open to abuse and i just plain dont like ziks anyway hey. XP system seems to be levelling out now as round progresses and no. of xp whores seems to have died a lot. PA team are doing a good job and the politics even seem to be enjoyable too. All in all its a thumbs up from me....

* Oh wait there's this small niggling prob with cath but theres plenty of threads on that subject
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 18:53   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with all of this. Great post, Rob.
Unread 6 May 2005, 19:52   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I agree, it's a good round overall.

The only thing that bothered me at the start of the round is the fact that ships only target 1 class (don't know how long this has been going on, haven't played the game in ages), but as the round has progressed I'm liking it more and more. It means people have to build selectively and that large planets are vulnerable to attack from many small planets.
Unread 6 May 2005, 21:34   #5
Murador
The Dance King

Murador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of light

I donīt agree about he stealing, it really is great, but the way it was made this round was completely wrong, ziks in order to steal ships must loose some ships that fired against the stealed ships, this way, ziks arenīt supposed to grow so quick and become so strong.
Murador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2005, 00:44   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The only thing that bothered me at the start of the round is the fact that ships only target 1 class (don't know how long this has been going on, haven't played the game in ages), but as the round has progressed I'm liking it more and more. It means people have to build selectively and that large planets are vulnerable to attack from many small planets.
That change happened when they brought in PaX (round 10). In my opinion, out of all the changes, it was the best there was.

Glad you've seen its benefits it means that tonight, I'm hitting an Xan with twice my value, who sadly forgot to build any bombers
Unread 7 May 2005, 08:55   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
That change happened when they brought in PaX (round 10). In my opinion, out of all the changes, it was the best there was.
In R10 is was crap though - four classes and no pods. It was as boring as it could have been from a ship-stat perspective. Having said that, i agree in princple that an offensive lean to a round is good, and limited targeting spectrums are also good - though i cant wait for my 10 class / 2 targets system to be accepted .

Poor battlecalc makers .

Quote:
Glad you've seen its benefits it means that tonight, I'm hitting an Xan with twice my value, who sadly forgot to build any bombers
Ever thought that someone who doesnt have any Anti CR doesnt need any Anti CR? . Following your arguments from the Cathaar thread, expect to get covered by 10k Corsairs (especially from in-gal)
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2005, 08:58   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

oh, i also agree with Rob's post in particular, and the sentiments expressed above in general.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 21:40   #9
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've not played much since round 4-5, but I've tried most of the rounds after, and this is the only one that has made me pay for a account (In one other round, can't remeber what one, somebody else payed) and play a tad seriously.
I really like the offensive feel to the game, and the XP makes sure that allianceless people like me, who get hit a lot with almost no def (I've been to three galaxies, and the one I'm in now is the only one who has defended me more then once!), can keep a reasonabale score.

The only thing I want to see implemeted, is XP for defending. My last gal was a very "good" gal, in terms of score and value, but they did not even bother to defend the ones in gal that were not their allies or were big, even when there was no other incoming. In the other rounds I've played, defending my galmates was (to me) more important then attacking. Of course, I might just have had a shitload of unlucky whit the two other gals, but at least my current one is great!
I don't really know all to much about the ship stats to define what I want to change, but zik's are a little too powerfull (They are, however, pretty easy to hit ) and cat's are maybe a little too weak.

Anyways, it's a fun round, and I might just go apply for a alliance and play more seriously again!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 19:57   #10
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Agree, specially about the Gal setup.
But one thing my mom always said keeps on my mind: Stealing is wrong

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 22:52   #11
The Master

Even though I've only been around for one round, I can safely say 13 is better than 12 was. I'm having alot of fun as a zik too
Unread 11 May 2005, 02:36   #12
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Zik is so much fun, I've become convinced that *every* race needs stealing ships.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 08:08   #13
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

Every race does have stealing ships. Zik just has more than one.

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 08:35   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbie

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 12:04   #15
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbie
Learn to count, ta.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote