User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:02   #1
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
Disco Inferno

Burn baby burn!

The question is, why aren't these victims as deserving of UN Aid as those who are recieving aid from the earthquake?

Fire is after all Nature's Purger.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:04   #2
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disco Inferno

don't troll :\
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:09   #3
Sunday8pm
Banned

Is that everyone's answer to an argument they are not equipped to debate with? Trolling wouldn't even provide a reason for my post, trolling would be gratifying in the deaths without any argument, trolling would be posting saying the people over in the earthquake area's are spoiled with all this money they get without supplying reason.

I supply reason and yet I still get troll comments, show some courage and argue this or admit to ignorance of issues of greater complexity than; IF this happens DO this.

Why are we all so easily led these days?
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:13   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's fairly obvious that a small incident could be handled (to a lesser or greater extent) by domestic emergency services. 100+ people dying, while still a tragedy hardly compares to 100,000 or whatever the toll is now. If 100k people died in Western Europe I doubt our health services could cope, let alone impoverished parts of Asia.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:19   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

comparing the disaster to a small scale fire is what looked like a t roll. if it wasn't than i appologize. to me it looks like you're saying that people who have lost their whole town, house, family, friends, etc are less deserving of some aid than a tragedy of 5 deaths in an isolated fire incident.

yes i see your point in that they shoud be equally deserving. but a small scale fire such as that should be easily handled by the town it's in. now the earthquake and waves affected 9 countries who as you say are too poor to conquer famine and such, and who simply cannot afford the cleanup of their countries themselves.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:20   #6
Sunday8pm
Banned

From reading the report it couldn't be handled by domestic emergency services...

Then again with regards to your latter statement, if 100k western european people took the decision to live in a glass bubble under the sea off the north west coast of ireland in an area of sea where icebergs had been known to drift and their location left them many many hours from emergency services reaching them, and an Iceberg came down and smacked it open... you wouldn't be exactly enthuiastic about funding an aid effort with regards to that would you?

It's not like all our victims were deluded to the facts of the area being overpopulated and somewhat dangerously located over a major fault line on a somewhat overdeveloped coast with an insufficient emergency infrastructure when they choose to vacation there or live there now is it?
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:22   #7
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
comparing the disaster to a small scale fire is what looked like a t roll. if it wasn't than i appologize. to me it looks like you're saying that people who have lost their whole town, house, family, friends, etc are less deserving of some aid than a tragedy of 5 deaths in an isolated fire incident.

yes i see your point in that they shoud be equally deserving. but a small scale fire such as that should be easily handled by the town it's in. now the earthquake and waves affected 9 countries who as you say are too poor to conquer famine and such, and who simply cannot afford the cleanup of their countries themselves.
I'm pretty sure when a nation went insolvent in the old days(to a variety of causes), they got conquered/taken advantage of and things got better in the long term anyway.... why are we messing with something that wasn't broken?

Why do we insist on insuring the unsustainable lately?
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:26   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
From reading the report it couldn't be handled by domestic emergency services...
How so?

"Young club-goers have been helping emergency crews rush the injured to ambulances.

At least five bodies were reported to be lined up on the pavement as fire crews and rescue teams helped people out of the club."

Doesn't seem the Argentinian health service is close to collapse from that, unless we're reading a different report. Again, how is this comparable to a wide-scale tragedy?

Quote:
Then again with regards to your latter statement, if 100k western european people took the decision to live in a glass bubble under the sea off the north west coast of ireland in an area of sea where icebergs had been known to drift and their location left them many many hours from emergency services reaching them, and an Iceberg came down and smacked it open... you wouldn't be exactly enthuiastic about funding an aid effort with regards to that would you?
A fairer analogy would be if Belgium or the Netherlands (very very high population densities, living on areas known to be low-lying and thus prone to flooding, in an era with rising sea-levels) had apalling flooding. And yes, of course I'd be as enthusiastic on an aid effort in such an instance. You can repeat this "overcrowded" stuff as much as you life, but as I live in one of the densely populated places on the planet (London and Western Europe generally) then I'm not exactly going to feel the same way.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:36   #9
Aryn
Happy

guess paul and i can sleep easy tonight knowing canada should get aid as we are a 'less dense' country
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:37   #10
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
How so?

"Young club-goers have been helping emergency crews rush the injured to ambulances.

At least five bodies were reported to be lined up on the pavement as fire crews and rescue teams helped people out of the club."

Doesn't seem the Argentinian health service is close to collapse from that, unless we're reading a different report. Again, how is this comparable to a wide-scale tragedy?

A fairer analogy would be if Belgium or the Netherlands (very very high population densities, living on areas known to be low-lying and thus prone to flooding, in an era with rising sea-levels) had apalling flooding. And yes, of course I'd be as enthusiastic on an aid effort in such an instance. You can repeat this "overcrowded" stuff as much as you life, but as I live in one of the densely populated places on the planet (London and Western Europe generally) then I'm not exactly going to feel the same way.
They've taken tonnes of preventative measures though and carefully planned out living there while respecting the power of nature.... it isn't a fair analogy... these people in indo-china have demonstrated no respect of the power of nature in regards to the catastrophic situation they have ended up in.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:49   #11
Aryn
Happy

calgary has too many people if there's an earthquake it must be my fault cause i choose to live in such a populated area. guess i should pack my bags and find somewhere else to live :\
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 07:51   #12
Sunday8pm
Banned

Are you located on a dangerous fault line with a history of earthquakes? Are your buildings made of poorly constructed mud and straw? Do you not see the whole picture and instead pick parts that make your argument sound reasonable when it's vastly flawed? Do you all live 3-4 people to a small room in calgary? Are you located 100's of miles away from emergency infrastructure with a poor road network connecting you?

If that is true, then yes I'd strongly advise leaving calgary.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 10:07   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What would you do if Japan was hit by an 8.9?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 10:35   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nobody respects the power of nature because we're all living on a planet where the super-volcano underneath Yellowstone national park is due to erupt so we're due whatever happens to us so there.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 12:07   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The people living in Sri Lanka, Indonesia etc are really rich and can afford all preventative measures feasible or easily move to somewhere less at risk.

[/Sunday8pm]
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 12:38   #16
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Nobody respects the power of nature because we're all living on a planet where the super-volcano underneath Yellowstone national park is due to erupt so we're due whatever happens to us so there.
JBG knows
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 14:21   #17
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

canada may not be dense, but paul adam certainly is.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 14:39   #18
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

uh oh, me and sunday have the same last name and are both from scottish families
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:29   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I think Sunday is the ginger guy from 12 Monkeys who wanted to wipe out humanity.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:54   #20
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

you can hardly blame people in the third world for being unprepaired for a natural desaster, they could barely look after themselves (in general) before this happened, they didn't have the disposable income to spend on that kind of stuff.
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 05:09   #21
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Wow Jonny quoting senstationalist dead donkey media crap for once.

Most scientists are kinda disappointed at the moment that the caledra or whatever it's called under yellowstones is looking like it's slowly going dormant of sorts and nothing of a super volcanic event is likely to ever happen again in this lifetime or the next few...
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 05:34   #22
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Most scientists
What about the rest? Isn't that categorising scientists?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 13:30   #23
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
What about the rest? Isn't that categorising scientists?
Most scientists in that scientific area THEN.... I'm sorry I Forgot you have to overexplain things for pedants here.
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 13:38   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Most scientists in that scientific area THEN.... I'm sorry I Forgot you have to overexplain things for pedants here.
He was probably more referring to the 'disappointed', although I'm not sure.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 14:05   #25
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Don't be sorry, just admit you're wrong and make an unfair judgement
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 14:43   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Wow Jonny quoting senstationalist dead donkey media crap for once.

Most scientists are kinda disappointed at the moment that the caledra or whatever it's called under yellowstones is looking like it's slowly going dormant of sorts and nothing of a super volcanic event is likely to ever happen again in this lifetime or the next few...
Equally though if you look up the history of major earthquakes I can't find one listed for that location, ie southern thailand, north-west indonesia, sri lanka in the last two hundred years. Surely that counts as a few lifetimes?

PS Where did you read about that?