User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 25 Jun 2005, 13:51   #1
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Unhappy windows 2000 hd limitation

hiya!

i have a samsung sp1213n hdd, but for some reason it's always only shown as 32gb

could anyone help me fix it? baring in mind im totally rubbish with computers
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 14:04   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: windows 2000 hd limitation

there sometimes are jumper-settings that limit the hd-size to 32GB (for what reason, i dont know)
maybe thats the problem, check where the jumper on your hd is set and put it on 'cable select'.
edit: this could help:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...rsguide_02.htm
but usually its also printed on the label of the hard-disk.
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 14:17   #3
Embroglio

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

it says i have to use the special cable for cable select... how do i know which one that is?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 14:26   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

plug in the caple that came with your hd and see if it works .
i guess that you want to use this as a 2nd hard disk? if so take the caple you got with the hd, connect to end with the blue connector to the motherboard, the other end to your old hard disk and the connector in the middle to your new one. then set both hds to caple select and you should be fine. you can also try to connect it to your secondary ide-channel, but usually people yuse that one for their dvd/cd-drives. if cable select doesnt work, set it for slave if its a 2nd harddisk and master if you use it alone on that ide-channel.

im off now, but if there are any further questions, someone around here should be able to help.
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 14:37   #5
Embroglio

doesnt matter someone helped me figure it out! yay

thanks trax!
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 26 Jun 2005, 23:38   #6
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Mind if I ask what the guy did who figured it out did? I'm just curious- in case I ever encounter something like that...
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 02:26   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Is there a jumper on the drive limiting it to 32 gig
Is your motherboard bios able to cope with drives bigger then 32 gig? ( really old ones cant )
Check the hd manufacturer page for a tool which enables you to use all of the drive if this is the case, or upgrade your motherboard
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 15:49   #8
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts

Try flashing your bios as I think you'll find that your mobo is too old for the hdd.
I just recently fitted a 80gb into a AMD k62 500 & it onldy registered as 20gb but after flashing I just rebooted & one 80gb drive installed.

Look on your board for the model number & do a quick google search I'm sure you'll be able to flash it & fix it that way.

A word of caution becareful when flashing as you can screw up your mobo if you do it incorrectly.
10:04| »» <Vir> |10:02| »» <Zhil> Kj doesnt need taunting <---- true he only needs a mirror
|10:04| »» <Vir> |10:05| »» <Zhil> lol
|10:05| »» <Zhil> I just got the image |10:05| »» <Zhil> of KJ
|10:05| »» <Zhil> being a budgie |10:05| »» <Vir> lmao
|10:05| »» <Zhil> and going "Pretty FAnG boy!" |10:05| »» <Zhil> talking into the mirror |10:05| »» <Zhil> little bell "ding ding ding"
Former: TRG, SL, AIM, ND, G-ii, EtY, ICD [1up], ReUnioN
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 21:09   #9
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

It is NOT possible to create 32GB+ FAT32 partitions with WIN2000. You CAN use larger partitions but WIN2000 can NOT create larger partitions. NTFS is generally better than FAT32 anyways and most of the time you should use NTFS instead.
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 23:55   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Something to remember is that Windows 2000 cannot handle files on partitions bigger than 137gb without a registry hack (EnableBigLba, I can't remember exactly what, google will help).

Without the google hack you will come across a life changing experience once you have over 137gb of files on the hard drive and it's not a good experience.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote