User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:01   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
today i discovered...

that its hard to think of an example of how functionalism uses teleological arguments in exam conditions when you havent slept for 24 hours

for me at least.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:02   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: today i discovered...

You're so lucky, I haven't discovered anything yet today.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:19   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Today I discovered the secrets of the human brain
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:20   #4
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

did it stimulate a burst of research? or did some other scumbag get it first?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:22   #5
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i discovered my girlfriend in bed. and i found my lost 'article' at the same time!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:23   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
did it stimulate a burst of research? or did some other scumbag get it first?
It did indeed, and I'm currently attempting to annihilate the Peacekeepers (I'm the pirates), who up until recently were the most powerful faction on planet.

GG Chaos Needlejets.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/2/alpha.jpg

(Yes, I know the colours are screwed)
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:24   #7
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

That game rocks so hard. Im going to play a round or two just now, just beacause of this thread!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:24   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I discovered an email from the Google friendster thing (orkut or something) saying I had been invited by Flavius to join.

I was impressed as I'm sure that thread was at least two months ago (i.e. when he would have sent the invite).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:25   #9
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

the peacekeepers are normally good with the secrets of the human brain, seeing as they start with biogeneitcs and all.

i dont like the pirates actually, in fact i find the expansion pack rather distasteful as a whole. Still, you have fun

(its all about morgan for fun and yang for points. at least they have vaguely coherent and believable ideologies, rather than "arrrrrr matey")
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:27   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i'm crap at civilisation, i just don't get it
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:29   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
the peacekeepers are normally good with the secrets of the human brain, seeing as they start with biogeneitcs and all.
It's the computer, what did you expect? (Transcend)

Quote:
i dont like the pirates actually, in fact i find the expansion pack rather distasteful as a whole. Still, you have fun
Out of the SMAX races, I prefer the usurpers, but I'm playing the pirates in a SMAX game on SA, so practice practice practice.

Quote:
(its all about morgan for fun and yang for points. at least they have vaguely coherent and believable ideologies, rather than "arrrrrr matey")
I'm more of a University kinda guy
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:30   #12
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
i'm crap at Alpha Centauri, i just don't get it
Sure, you are.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:33   #13
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

im interested to know how the pirates get secrets before the university on transcend when you have a natural disadvantage with research point etc and it is too near the start of the game to have made any real leeway against it. Unless you push everything into research or something, im not sure, i never really experimented with much micromanagement at the start.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:35   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
im interested to know how the pirates get secrets before the university on transcend when you have a natural disadvantage with research point etc and it is too near the start of the game to have made any real leeway against it. Unless you push everything into research or something, im not sure, i never really experimented with much micromanagement at the start.
How the hell should I know, possibly they thought that Centauri Psi or something was more useful.

However, I now have pacts with the university and the cybernetic consciousness, so I'm doing very well in research despite only getting one every 20 turns.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:35   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entium
Sure, you are.
you what?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:36   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
you what?
His point was that the game under discussion was Alpha Centauri, not one of the Civilisation family.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:37   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

heh, well thats handy, who else is in this game of yours?

and i thought you MIGHT know, cuh. They really should have made the transcend AI cleverer than to go for something other than secrets though. Especially as any one of the 6 races was in a better position than you to get it at the start.

disgraceful
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:37   #18
KaneED
Motherfracker

well it looked the same, either way...
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:41   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
heh, well thats handy, who else is in this game of yours?

and i thought you MIGHT know, cuh. They really should have made the transcend AI cleverer than to go for something other than secrets though. Especially as any one of the 6 races was in a better position than you to get it at the start.

disgraceful
I did get Biogenetics in a pod, which helped, and having 2 bases early on is quite a big boost in the right circumstances.

The main problem with the AI is that it doesn't do researches properly; but then it is extremely difficult to program all the eventualities of a Civ style game, especially given a tech tree so complicated and varied.

Do we go for MMI? How about Monopoles? That kind of question can only be determined by a careful examination of the state of play not only of your own faction, but of the whole game.

ps.

Hive, Drones, Peacekeepers, Cult (7 cities, none with any units in, they're also being Needlejetted but I haven't had the time or inclination to make a boarding party), University, CC, Pirates are the 7.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:44   #20
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i vote for hive in that situation...

btw, seeing as i dont play it and you keep asserting pirates are the best, why exactly is that? The cult are fun to play though, but im not much of a mindworm type of guy. in fact, thats the only group that appeals to me at all. Also, the CC look extremely good on paper, but never seem to come out that well
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:46   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I haven't said pirates are the best anywhere...

Anyway, the cult are fairly week, but with abundant life they can quickly build up a very powerful army very early on.

The Alien races are quite good to play for some variety.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:48   #22
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

someone said that pirates were best, thought it was you, nm.

i dont like variety, i prefer the kind of play you get from the starting races tbh, solid, no stupid gimmicks etc.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:52   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It depends what you mean by 'stupid gimmick'; their in character stuff is fairly silly, but then most of it is.

They're just different races, with different abilities (and no council votes)
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:55   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

it does seem like they are stretching the boundaries of credibility though.

drones are too much like a more idealistic hive,
cult are a more mystical gaia
pirates, theyre ****ing PIRATES for gods sake
CC is beefed up uni with shite growth
data angels are just a shit gimmick, blates
alien races are good, but are annoying to play against because they are endlessly aggressive and dont let you ally with the other one AT ALL
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:57   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well, with the limited number of factional definitions, you are going to get some repeated.

And what's so stupid about the data angels?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:59   #26
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

since when could a societies defining ideological feature be sharing of data? It was just a way to get a faction who specialised in a previously untapped feature of the game. (morgan and miriam to some extent had stronger probe teams in the original however, well, morgan didnt directly, but that money has to go somewhere )
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:00   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

They are much more steal-y based, especially with the tech steal thing.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:01   #28
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

thats an option on AC anyway, if thats turned on people are ****ed (and CC for that matter)
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:04   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
thats an option on AC anyway, if thats turned on people are ****ed (and CC for that matter)
No, it's an option for everyone else. The angels ALWAYS have it, just like the aliens always have a world map and can direct their research.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:05   #30
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

yes i know that, i was referring to the fact that if everyone else has it its no longer an advantage, capiche?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:06   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yes i know that, i was referring to the fact that if everyone else has it its no longer an advantage, capiche?
I turn it off anyway, I don't really like it.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:08   #32
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

neither do i, i used to, then i lost a couple of bases and got right browned off i did.

there is a real and genuine need for an AC thread
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:11   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

If we could get 7 players, we could start a PBEM game, which wouldn't have the same problems as other game types (people being busy at that time of day, etc), although it would be preferable to have at least 2 to a team in case one goes AWOL.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:12   #34
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

hmm

that would be good

ill be morgan! (and obviously get steamrollered at some point, then i pick yang next game =D )

anyone else round here play AC?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:14   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I've already stated my preferece, although alien races are a nono.

[edit]

Off to work.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:14   #36
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

I was always for the Gaia'ns cause the terraforming of the land for resources was just so badly done in comparison to Civ 2.

As for the pirates, I imagine it much like if there had been an expansion pack that allowed you to go the barbarians in Civ 2, they could of had research like "Make unit look like hut for foolish civilizations to look in".

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:15   #37
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

you are joking about the terraforming i hope...

its so so so much better than civ terraforming, so many options, so many possibilities

you are at war with the PLANET mang.

btw, forests rock.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:16   #38
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
you are joking about the terraforming i hope...

its so so so much better than civ terraforming, so many options, so many possibilities

you are at war with the PLANET mang.

btw, forests rock.
Too much ridiculous micro, too easily undone, too easy to overinvest in and horrible ghastly auto-ai on the terraforming units.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:18   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

dont use auto ai then silly man, or just say auto build roads or sensors or something if you have too many formers and can afford the support.

and some of us LIKE the ridiculous micro. And its not like it costs anything more than the cost of a former and the support cost anyway, so no massive deal about 'overinvesting'
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:21   #40
Evergreen
the merciless

That and I also liked accessing the wonderful resources of building towns in the ocean.... then again it depends what type of maps you play.

Anyway I long for a more refined multi-player Civ 2..... just something that works on-line and is next to little no different from good old civ 2.

Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:24   #41
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i found towns in the ocean tended to be very good for population growth, but became stagnant quicker and were generally poorer at minerals and energy. Energy especially.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 13:58   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I play Alpha Centauri, I think I actually have two copies (bought, and everything).

I seem to remember my favourite civs being the Hive/Drones.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 14:02   #43
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

i discovered that i need to repeat things alot inorder to remember them.

and making notes with just the vital information of a phrase is better then writting out the full phrase. as later i will have to recreate the phrase, which will help me learn and retain information better.

hello my name is weeks. and i learn.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 17:19   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
As for the pirates, I imagine it much like if there had been an expansion pack that allowed you to go the barbarians in Civ 2, they could of had research like "Make unit look like hut for foolish civilizations to look in".
What in the name of holy christ are you talking about?

Quote:
Anyway I long for a more refined multi-player Civ 2..... just something that works on-line and is next to little no different from good old civ 2.
Ever tried Civ 2 multiplayer?

Quote:
Too much ridiculous micro, too easily undone, too easy to overinvest in and horrible ghastly auto-ai on the terraforming units.
Yeah, instead of remembering to build farms and railroad, you have to remember to build farms, MINES and railroad, assuming you're not going for the thermal borehole sweep, in which case the benefits of spending the additional time are obvious.

And limited former AI ('improve home base' works well enough) is better than none.

Sea going factions (ie, the pirates, or sea bases of other factions) can be exceptional at energy production, because you can spread the tidal harnesses everywhere.